Share your family's WW II stories

Share your family's WW II stories.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finnish_Infantry_Regiment_200
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicory
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Take in a shitload of jews and finnish children
>Sell steel to erryone

>Great Grandfather on father's side died fighting Spanish fascists.
>Grandfather on father's side was imprisoned and tortured for sending information back to the allies but was eventually released.
I know nothing about my mother's side.

Had to hide yung girls from Soviets.
Wehrmacht soldiers were polite

i actually come from Estonia
Two of my grand-grandfathers died in fight against nazi
A german plane was shot down next to the farm my grandmother lived (she was a little girl then). She still remembers seeing the torn up corpse of the German pilot, and she remembers that he was carrying a cross

No idea. My mums side ran to egypt (from Greece and Italy) for some reason and there are no family stories about what my dads side did.

Someone on my dads side was sapper during ww1.

My granny once told me that some german soldier saved her family by letting them run off. My grandpa told me that Nazis build good things in occupied villages. All of my great grand parents died when I was a baby...

I thought Nazis were atheists

lol no

My grandfather road into Omaha Beach after D-Day to search for discarded Nazi tech to steal and reverse-engineer

Actually sounded kinda fun, though I have no idea if there were like mines and shit

OMG

some of them were. others where neo-pagan LARPers. But most German soldiers were conscripts and not firm believers in nazi ideology

they were the typical religious-esoteric retards

One of my grandfathers was Irish and didn't fight. My other grandfather was too old for WW2. He was born in 1898 and was a WW1 veteran who was shot in the shoulder at the Battle of the Somme. Spent the rest of the war in the Labour Corps fixing roads and telegraph wires.

My grandfather was a captain of a ship and he helped Fascists in Spain by transporting stuff for them.
During the winter war he had to blow up railways to stop Russians from using them.
In 1941 he was in USA and since Finland was at war with the allies, Americans confiscated his ship and apparently it was sunk by the Japs.

My grandpa had to defend a bridge in Germany from I think Americans.

Grandfathers and parents' uncles fought against the Nazis. Some died by the Germans others during the civil war that followed.

We had to consume less coffee and chocolate than usual

My grandfather (borther of my grandma) died virgin.

comfy

Grandfather evaded from labor camp in germany in 44
Passed the frontier hiding under a train banket with a mate
Died in 46 from brain tumor
Granny blamed the beatings he took while over there
Father was 1

16 yo conscript?

>neopagan LARPers

topkek

great grandfather was an ex-mayor in his village. he gathered the people are removed the pro-tzarist (fascist) mayor. he also took part in overthrowing the power in nearby villages.
other than that my family slept through the whole thing.
grandmother says the german soldiers were nice.

he wasn't exactly a communist at the time, tho he did get involved in a bunch of communist initiatives afterwords. in his defense my family fought in ww1 and serbo-bulgarian war, which were both considered idiotic on the part of our (german) monarchy.

Father's side

Grandfather died in Dutch-India
Great-Grandfather died in Dutch-India
Grandmother was hiding from Japs in Dutch-India
Great-grandmother was forced to marry a Japanese soldier and was sent to Fukuoka

Mother's side
Both Great-Grandfather fled to UK and bombed some Germans.
Great Grandmother made bullets for the Nazis
Grandmother lived a comfy live in Mainz with grandfather

idk, but he was young.

Hi Sup Forums . I'm here first time. I'm actually russian . So the story is about my great-grand father Nikolay.
I hope u know that in Russia was the most bloody part of ww2 .We call it The Great Patriotic war.
My great-grand father was an artilleryman . Shooting in nazi soldiers he destroyed a lot of tanks. He was wounded but he didn't stop shooting. For this he got a very honorary award.

Newfag

Sad. Dying, without getting to enjoy the pleasures of life even once.

I would write you a great story if some tard hadn't told authorities that my great-grandfather criticized them so they shot him. He would have killed a lot of nazis if not for that bastard.

Mother's side:
Grandfather
born in Kiruna, left in an orphanage,
fought in Vinterkriget as a Swedish volunteer
got spooked by encroaching Russians v. Germans
thought Germans would kill him for being Swedish-Saami/unknown
thought the Russians would kill him for fighting in Vinterkriget
fled to Canada, met my Grandmother, jumped to US
Caught by Sheriff as an undocumented
Threatened with being sent home unless he signed 2 yr term with Marines in May 1940
Pearl Harbor happened
Fought from Guadalcanal to Okinawa
survived
came home
refused to talk about it
had PTSD attack on the last Holiday I got to see him

Father's side
Grandfather too young to fight
Poor Irish great-uncle signed up with USAAF
tail gunner in bomber
fought in Europe
plane shot down
crew evacuated
he manned his position to provide covering fire for the crew
killed when plane crashed

Lithuanian-fag here. My grandparents left that place for America 'cause Russians are fundamentally incapable of forming a successful government.

The only thing that I know of is my mums fathers father sent his wife and kids to western Finland and joint the army after burning down their village because they lived in Karelia. Oh and he dead

Great uncle felt bad that we (The Americans) were rounding up Germans and starving them by the thousands in death camps and since he was a German/Russian decent he would bring food to one of the German families and ended up marrying one of the girls and she came over to the U.S. Pic related is him in old age.

My grandfather (he died 53 years ago, around when my dad was three months old) was some kind of radio electrician and because he was a master of all instruments he just played around with that shit entertaining the commanders during the invasion of Normandy so he didn't have to do any fighting.

One of my dad's Norwegian uncles stabbed(or perhaps some other way) some ship captain and killed him, I don't know the details other then that he was le tall Scandinavian strongman.

lol

I guess what the other swede said, less coffee and eggs

One of my grandpas fought in Silesian uprisings, then witnessed the charge of German tanks (it was pretty brutal, grandpa got a bit of PTSD after seeing his underlings run over by tanks), then fought a bit guerilla style, then found out that the Red Army came there to kill us, not to help us, then his regiment disbanded and grandpa hide for some time in eastern Poland and organized the local defense movement against Ukrainian nationalists who collaborated with Nazis.
He survived the war and kept his mouth shut about what he did during gommie times to avoid gułag time. Died of sickness later on. I never met him, because he died before I was born. I got my hands on his diary recently. It was pretty feel-inducing, but also wacky at times. Made me look at WW2 a bit differently.
My second grandpa served in guerilla ranks of Home Army as well, but on a lower position, he was more of a scout than a commander. He was also a beekeeper and a really cool guy, I loved hanging around with him when he was still alive.

>
>
>
>
>some german deserters try to raid barn
>grandad goes out there with a gun and scares them away

never forget the gothenburg coffee fire :(

Grand dad flew pic related. Multiple confirmed kills.

Could still shoot like a fucking boss at 90 y/o.

Other grand dad trained as tank destroyer gunner. They found out he could type so made him a colonels assistant instead. Sent to Japan to help oversee disarming of japs. Literal mountains of jap weapons, kept a couple swords then sold them to a pawn shop before I was born (fuuuuuuuck). Died of leukemia after being stationed in Nagasaki.

Here he is in all his glory. He is

My parents and grandparents worked in the field as farmers.

WWII was a bore for us.

My grandpa was sent to the Army Air Corps but the war ended before he was shipped to
Japan. But he got free training and lifetime benefits :^)

My other grandpa waited until VJ day to leave Ireland because he was sneaky and wanted to avoid the draft

Oh and a German pilot crashed in my grandmother's village near Wexford and an anti-British family let him stay with them

>be american
>bomb japs
>die of radiation causes
sounds like friendly fire

Found out I'm partly jewish recently.

>great great grandmother was a polish jew who fled to canada
>great great grandfather was a priest or something
>they meet and fall in love
>move to maine
went a little something like that

Another one of my great great grandparents was a war hero who married an indian princess or something too

I rly don't know enough about their stories to go into detail though

Grandpa serving in cavalry since the war starts (le charging horses on tanks meme, not really). Get captured as POW, then moved to Berlin to forced labor as waiter in some restaurant (he had blond hair and blue eyes so had it easier).
He managed to somehow get a pair of Wehrmacht uniforms with another laborer, probably mugged some soldier or even killed one. Escaped back to Poland with his Pal dressed as German soldiers. Got discovered because some German asked them "what our is this" and they could not respond credibly.
Captured by gestapo held in prison nearby his home village. Uncle bribed some Germans in prison to let it slide, they do, so he is sent to forced labor camp on east.
Russians come, liberate the camp, force draft him to red army. You go on Kaliningrad now, pal.
He came back from war without two fingers on right hand, probably cut them off himself to get out from red army before getting rekt# in zerg rush.

why didnt he stay in germany as waiter?
sounds comfy

There is a war on your homeland and there is your home village and family and a young grandma that promised to marry him after he comes back.

I think those are some of the reasons.

Granddad Worked in the railroads, which counted as a military service.

Also, both grandmas told the same thing- german soldiers were cultured, very clean and handsome, but the Russians were filthy and just peasants with guns.

My grandfather's father invaded the Czechs, then invaded the Belgians, then fathered my grandfather and built a small house on home leave, and finally went on to die in misery in Stalingrad or - worse yet - suffer long afterwards before dying in a gulag. No one actually knows. A true hero.

>invasion of czech republic and belgium
>
>

t. Czech in denial

grandfather in the airforce, helped fly cargo planes. never fired a bullet and never got one fired on him. not glorious but necessary work

My grandfather was scratching his balls while listening to the WW2 news on radio

lol they had time to build?

uhhh, your grandfather died a virgin?

My grandgrandma from mothers fathers side was a tailor born in one of the North Eastern Bohemian vilages between Prag and Jungbunzlau.
>Germans come and create Protektorat Böhmen und Mähren
>grand-granny has to go Prague to do some handmade tailor dresses for wives of SS officers.
>some high ranking SS officer impresses her with some good ol' SS tyranny of Jews
>they kick it off together, by 1940 he gets her pregnant
>1945 comes and Germans are retreating and scavenging and burning villages to leave nothing for Soviets
>Village where my grandgranny lived was supposed to get leveled as well but since he has 4 year old son there he commands soldiers to leave it intact
>Hung after Nürnberg for being SS fella, villagers didnt forget that only thanks to my grandgranny and her SS connections the village survived
>treat her like queen

I've asked my father what my paternal side was doing but he never answers but since I got German name I can imagine it myself. Though supposedly my paternal side was always
heavily anti-german...

long story short if there were no nazis I wouldnt be alive

>invade a bunch of other countries
>hero
lel

he got what he deserved

Grandfather met my grandmother when he was a partisan and she was a courier for the partisans. He led his own squad that destroyed roads and villages. My grandmother told me how she saw a village get burned on the other hill and how the nazis forced her and other young folk to learn german.
My grandfather didn't tell any stories while he was alive.

great grandfather was in the blackshirts, killed himself in prison, the other did paintings for churchill so he got out of conscription

>1944
>be grandpa
>rides horse drawn car doing farm shit
>bunch of germans show up
>we're gonna take your cart to retreat across the rhine
>'no'
>why?
>cuz you won't give to back
>then come with us and then you can take it back
>ok
>dude next to him turned out to be SS-Sturmbannführer Hans Hüttig, commander of the concentration camp at Vught

One of my granddads was a spitfire pilot, the other was captured in italy and marched all the way to a pow camp in poland where he was imprisoned until the end of the war

>Pew pew
>boom
The end

well you cant argue with that though

I am a jew and my grandfather survived the GAS CHAMBERS because he was a baby toddler and when the adults died he was down at the bottom where the concetration of the GAS CHAMBER GAS wasn't lethal and when the Americans came they took him away

Both my granddads were paratroopers. My mom's dad jumped at Corregidor where he ended up getting shot twice. He had a few war relics from the Japanese and has an ungodly amount of photos he took before, during, and after the battle including one during his actual jump.

My dad's dad jumped at Normandy and was immediately taken as a POW. He lived in the basement of some house in Normandy for a about a month, living off potatoes until the Allied army rolled in and the German's fucked off.

I only ever met my mom's dad. We never really knew about his accomplishments until after he died and started digging through his shit.

Great grandpa (moms side) was a declared communist, who spent some time in Russia. Was put in a camp at some point, but survived because it was late in the war.

My granddad on my fathers side was a German murtician.

Neat.

Still perpetuating the myth Shlomo?

The only story I heard was from my grandmother about how when they were kids one village boy managed to steal a small munition of some sort and tried to see what was in it by sawing it apart.

That was incidentally when she also learned that the insides of a person's guts really stink.

My grandmother's uncle was a member of a resistance intel cell working with the English and expatriated Norwegian governments. Was a lot of sneaking around and observing stuff, from what I was told. My grandparents were just kids but my grandfather kept some memorabilia in the attic, like a jury-rigged radio, a grenade box he used for fishing supplies, and a Sten gun he surrendered to the police in the 1980's.

Not much real action involved, I'm afraid. After Oslo was taken there wasn't much use for open belligerence. Glory and honor for the motherland helps very little if you're dead.

1. former police officer who was hunted by commies. blew up railroads. became forest brother. stuffed pine twigs up russian ass and tortured people for fun. bit unstable he was. was killed in battle.
2. pilot. flew for the germans. crashed his plane. was caught. flew for the brits. ended up in straya.
3. commoner. saw his brothers beaten to death. became forest brother for a period. tortured by ruskies.
4. had a really bad trip to leningrad. saw people eat people. doesn't talk about it much without breaking down completely in tears.
5. sent to siberia (this was a common theme). saw his brother die of hunger. tripped through the endless forests back here. ate bugs to survive. was caught after being ratted on by the reds and tortured to death in some kgb cellar.

wwii was not fun for our lineage.

>Ukrainian nationalists who collaborated with Nazis.
God, I love Ukraine. Best slavs. Best ideology. Best women. Best language.

One of my grandfather was in Finland, part of the army that was supposed to attack Murmansk. But the attack never came. So he spent most of the war sitting around and freezing his ass off. Combat was rare. He once told me it took about 2-3 hours to get a tank running in winter because you had to make a fire underneath the tank and carefully heat it.

My other grandfather was worker in an arms factory. Workers were all trained as flak soldiers so they could shoot at incoming planes themselves. He told he once saw the crew of a downed bomber being lynched by people whose town got bombed. Other than that the russians kicked down the door of his house, guns pointed at him and yelling. He thought he would die, but in the end they just wanted to steal his alcohol kek

I dunno

>Great Grandfather was deployed with some American and Canadian guys
>Was in a bumfuck rural French village when a tank rolled in
>Half of his guys stayed and held them off while the other half tried to evacuate the townspeople
>My grandfather was on evacuation team, and suddenly tank comes up to them around a corner, he runs opposite direction of the forest where they were sending the people to distract the tank so they townsfolk can escape
>He avoids the tank somehow but just as he makes it back around the to forest entrance he gets shot in the back and falls dead into a ditch

One of the people from the town sent a letter to my great grandmother thanking my family for what my great grandfather did.

My other great grandfather was a medic pilot in Japan and just carried wounded people back and forth for two years

~43. family of 8. mum is cooking bread. dad is off to the woods hunting. heavy machinery rolling in. everyone hides in the earth cellar. after some while the military leaves and they come out.

the bread had been taken out of the oven. the linens were layed on the bread, moisturized perfectly so the outer layer doesn't crust too hard. the blue/black/white flag was raised (lowered earlier) on the mast. traces of muddy footwear only lead to the entrance, the boots were taken off before entering the house.

those were the germans.

~44. the russians came. only the stone houses survived the scorching.

yeah. why do we hate them so much?

>On April 16, 1945, Corporal Bush, was serving in the 1st Battalion, 4th Marine Regiment, 6th Marine Division as a rifle company squad leader when he led his men in a charge against an enemy stronghold during the final assault against Mount Yaetake in northern Okinawa. During that action, he was seriously wounded and evacuated to a nearby medical aid area for treatment. While at this position, an enemy grenade was hurled among the Navy corpsmen and wounded Marines including himself. He immediately took and placed the grenade under himself saving his comrades lives. He survived the blast with severe wounds, losing several fingers and the sight in one eye.[1][2]

Great grandpa on moms side descended from a finno-swedish low-noble family. Decided to go to Finland to fight the Soviets because "Finland's cause is our cause" and "Brethren-people", etc. Came back without a leg, never was the same again. Shot himself two years later with his hunting rifle.

Grandpa on fathers side was a newly graduated engineer who had just got married. Decided to join the war on Finland's side. His body was never found.

>See spoiled, finish man-children complaining about swedes, saying how swedes are basically the root cause of all evil. Think of the grandfather who never got to see his son or his grandchildren just so these barely sentient turds could have the freedom to post this shit.

Also
>The rest of my family suffered through a lack of coffee :^)

mustve been one tough fucker to survive granade blast under himself

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finnish_Infantry_Regiment_200
similar stories, but no suicides.

as for coffee, our people used the roots of this plant as substitution:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicory

He had shrapnel in his kidney before that happened

Where I come from they used acorns.

Yeah on the other hand you got people like Czechs which as the only participant in the war had positive born/died ratio
because we under occupation and that meant bunch of rules like: Do not aggravate Germans by creating large social groups, be home by 9 PM and so on...
Which was probably boring as fuck so the only thing left when you gotta be home like almost always is to fuck the shit outta your wife.
We had major baby boom in WW2.

My great uncle (the brother of my grandfather) was taken by the Germans and had to work in an work camp in Poland. When the war was at the end he and some friends he made in the camp fled because of the danger (many people got killed in the final days at the camps). also a problem was for them that the Russian forces who came closer every day would take them for Germans and would kill them. So eventuatly he walked from Poland to the Netherlands. He came home on a winter night and did not open the door, instead he climed to the window of his little brother and enterted the house that way. So nobody woke up only my grandfather (his little brother) saw him and he said go to sleep wich he did. The next morning when the family went downstairs to eat they saw ther oldest son/brother there siting preparing a meal.
My other grandfather lived in an house near the railroads. when he was at a sleepover with a few friends in a diferent house there were English and German pilots fighting above his house wich resulted in an grenade explotion in his room. he was lucky he was at the sleepover otherwise he would be dead.

later they wanted to arrest his father so one night an dutch police officer came by the door and said: "You have to pack your bags right now and hide" then he ran away, (they never knew who this guy was). First the stayed the night at the grandfather of my grandfather (same fucking street as where they lived) the next morning their house got raided by German soldiers that day they left to an island in the northen part of the Netherlands and spent the rest of the war there.

my grandfather chose and bought planes for the RAF apparently. my nan worked in the Ministry of Defense. that's all though.

le gott mit uns

My grandpa fought for 4 years on the Eastern front, mostly around Lake Lagoda, at the Wolchow front and later in the so called Hube pocket and in the defense of Königsberg, got wounded 7 times (his nose got shot off for example), he had some stories to tell which weren't nice. Like when their weapons froze and they had to fight with their shovels and stuff like that.

I basically have 2 stories from 2 great grandfathers.
One was a kid then shit started
>be him
>see italians across the river
>show them his ass
Same italians were in his village,he says they were good guys,unlike germans.
>be my second great grandfather
>conscripted
>fight for motherland
>get captured in 1943
>escape
>fight again
>get captured again
>wait in the camp till the end of the war
>get home
>spends 3 years in prison as a traitor
Still managed to became a head of a uni. Died from illness he got in nazi camp

My great uncle came back from D Day and on the first day back he found my posh side of the family and asked if he could stay the night there since he had no home at the time, he was really muddy so they told him to come in through the back in order not to get the mansion dirty. He got offended and instead refused to stay with them and went to London and stayed in hotels for the following weeks lol

My grandfather diffused bombs with the US Navy because he was really good with intricate little mechanisms (he was a watchmaker/jeweler by trade). He served in North Africa, where his gold watch was pick pocketed by an A-rab (heavy emphasis on the A), and then later in Sicily and France. I don't know that he ever experienced actual combat, but he did have a close call one morning when he switched duties with another sailor (I think because he woke up sick). The sea mine they were working on went off, killing everyone on the boat. I think my grandfather always felt bad about that incident, which could be why he rarely ever talked about the war.

Later when he was running his own jewelry store in my hometown, he absolutely refused to sell anything made in the former axis countries. Even when Japanese watches started getting popular in the 70s and some customers started requesting them, he still refused to budge. Unfortunately, we never met. His lifelong smoking habit caught up with him and he died of throat cancer a few years before I was born.

>american education

My great grandfather wrote a small 42 page book on his time in 3 different work camps. He was a small time resistance "fighter".

Is this true?

He "defused" bombs.

no i just made it up to make myself look more interesting on the internet.

yes of course it's true.

they supplied the germans with eggs, milk, butter and cottage cheese. in return they got chocholate and know/how to re-assemble guns left on the battlefields and the young lads were taught how to shoot and even got to drive tanks.

Damn it. I typed that story up once before and made the same mistake. I know the difference, of course. He wasn't spreading bombs around.

Hey i just wanted to say that there is a real chance that the grandfathers of all of us could have met eachother ones. The war really conected the whole world baisicly maybe not the best way to do it but it did happen

t. Baltic SS legion

>Fight hard to defend Soviet Union from nazi
>After war our people have been great help, fought with all we had
>Later
>Everyone can get independence and be own country
>We can't and get bombed

Guess where we are from.