Why does Sup Forums like Firefox so much?

Why does Sup Forums like Firefox so much?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=kHWf6hRV-GM
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Because kids here have shit taste.
>checked

Cause at it's core it works. We like Firefox forks. Regular Firefox is botnet dogshit.

1. open source
2. you don't need to install outdated fork to remove Google botnet (and even then developer is not sure it's free of Google, this applies to all chromium forks)
Yes i know Nightly sends data to Mozerella since it's alpha software that needs testing, which can be disabled.
is there any interesting up-to-date forks? Excluding palemoon and waterfox

I like how Mozilla fights for (or at least claims to fight for) an open internet, unlike (((Google)))

Because it's the only browser which can get dubs.

They do that but they're still cucked by Google. Google analytics and safebrowsing is by default enabled, as well as Google as the main search engine and GPS provider. So they should move to alternatives. A good start is having built in uBlock Origin to block off malicious domains which would be a good replacement for safebrowsing.

This is what you can expect from firefox every time you press ctrl+t

about:config

>no google
>open source
>shitload of configuration
>was the "nerd browser" back when normies used IE
>tries to support HTML5 as strictly as possible, unlike chromium which sometimes bends the rules

>Google analytics and safebrowsing is by default enabled

what is this?

No one but paid shills does.

>>back when the normies used IE
it's 2017 kid. teenagers today don't even know those days. this ship has sailed.

Nope, that's been disabled for me.

developer edition here, no you can't disable it. but yeah pretty dumb to use testing software if you don't want to test it

I only see my recent and pinned tabs on control t

Go disable that pocket somewhere

Each site you visit is sent to Google to make sure the site isn't malware. Then if it is Google tells you it's not safe to visit it.
Your location is fetched by Google's servers as well.

IceCat fixes these issues, not sure if waterfox does.

>toolkit.telemetry.enabled
This controls whether or it collects "extended" telemetry.
The on/off switch is separate and you can toggle that just fine.
The naming is a bit weird, I'll give you that.

Is anyone getting tabs reset by firefox? Using tree style tabs and sometimes I'll have a bunch of tabs become blank pages in a tree. Is it firefox or tree style tabs?

Using it on Nightly, never happened to me.

There's Icecat if you don't consider ESR to be "outdated"

I'm using Tree Style Tabs as well on regular FF and haven't had that happen.

Also use new tab tools, its a much better menu than the regular one.

Disable pocket in about config. Or even better: New tab preferences > disable highlights and snippets

This is bullshit the safebrowsing list is stored locally so Firefox only needs to compare the URL to that

>stored locally
It's fetched from Google.

Yes which is quite different from "Each site you visit is sent to Google to make sure the site isn't malware"

Default search engine in Firefox is yahoo™ friendo, first thing I change when I use a new computer

Only in burgerland.
But they terminated their contract with yahoo recently.

It's always Google for me. On any device I install it.

blog.mozilla.org/blog/2014/11/19/promoting-choice-and-innovation-on-the-web/

user above you was correct, didn't realize they didn't just keep a global setting

So Google is default for everyone outside USA/China/Russia? Why didn't they use Qwant for EU?

Depending on the tech level of my friend, it's either DDG or Google. DDG Just Works (TM) for most of my shit, but if they're a fukin noob then Google is better.

You haven't noticed that little gear shaped thingie at top right?

Why Firefox can't download a thing without being asked all time to open it or to save it. I mean, not even touching about:config, jeez.

>he's to retarded to press "remember this choice"

Holy shit in the previous version of FF for android on the start screen it had those big thumbnails with previews of recently accessed sites.
I had pinned a few which were great replacements for bookmarks and the others were filled with recently used tabs, which is a important use case for me. It was neat and I was happy.
Now they fucking crammed my shit on the top 1/5 of the screen, removed the preview with an icon and filled the rest of the screen with that fucking garbage Pocket shit that is the mobile equivalent of toolbars.
I'm unreasonably mad at this. I had a really nice thing going. God fuck.

Check your settings. Its in there. At least it is for me on Nightly

Even if I disable all this "Highlights" thing all I get is this huge whitespace and my "Top Sites" are still crammed on the top of the screen with icons only, no previews.
I'm using a 10" tablet and not a phone, so the big previews really made sense, I'm not nitpicking.
Thanks though, at least I can not be mad about Pocket.

Yeah I just noticed that, I feel the same way, at least you win a little bit back,

adds a certain level of fun to my day.

Google is intentionally breaking their sites because Firefox became a threat again.

i had that feeling. youtube live streams aren't working as they should either.

Do you use no-script?

no. they were pushing out webp on all of youtube that day. found that out by downloading the images via the link in the network tab and removing the file extension.

I don't have this issue.

>use Chrome
Google should be fined again by the EU court for being anti-competitive and totalitarian and this time they should demand more. Jesus fuck Google is retarded. I'll start boycotting their shit.

I've had this happening to me non stop. Had to start using hooktube. Everytime I go to Youtube my browser crashes.

Is there a popular fork of pre-67 FF yet?

It's more like they rewrote the thing in Rust and naturally its full of bugs.

They changed the thumbnail format to something Firefox doesn't support.
What does Rust have to do with that?

I can view youtube thumbnails just fine in FF66.

Not sure what FF67 broke.

mostly because it's open source and generally a good browser. It's easily customizable with css, and the extensions are good. I personally use Vivaldi, I find it better in many ways. However, it's in a suspicious state of being inbetween free software and proprietary, and it can be cut down in size.

Google fixed it some time ago.
They might claim that it was a mistake but that's really hard to believe. YouTube is a huge site. They can't accidentally push code that obviously breaks the website on a browser with significant marketshare.

Firefox 57 is better than every other browser combined. I'm not exaggerating one bit.

Got me to switch completely the first time I used it

Works fine for me.

Did you follow basic troubleshooting steps (clear cache, new profile, etc)?

you can rice it

>install vimium
>shift+o
>type website name
>boom new page
why go newtab when can just jump straight to what you want

based user from 2020, NIghtly is barely on version 59

Firefox really needs a better profile manager, similar to what Chrome has (a button on the titlebar).

I have one profile for regular browsing and another profile for Sup Forums browsing. I don't want to have /d/ popups when my gf is in the room.

>browses /d/
>has a gf

My own reasons are:
1) Works practically as fast as Chrome after some about:config tweaks.
2) It doesn't lag while watching 720p60 videos in Youtube while every single Chromium based browser that I tried does (on my potato, at least).
3) Looks wonderfully slim after properly tweaking ClassicThemeRestorer.

>ClassicThemeRestorer
But why? I can understand not liking Australis, but Quantum looks fucking awesome.

Quantum's UI by default is ugly, way too big for my taste. I do have a customized CustomCSSforFX to take care of that though.
The sole reason why I don't use Quantum is because it can reach 1.2 GBs of used RAM on my potato while Waterfox never goes beyond the 700 MBs.

back to r/rust
nobody likes FFQ
it broke all the addons
especially noscript
>noscript webextension
about:config disable javascript
noscript no workie
>but now js is off?
but active content still loads over http

goddamnit you people are normie level stupid
go back and circlejerk around your borrow checker or something
just kys
leave
FF is a shit
You ruined it forever
Happy now?

BRAVE
youtube.com/watch?v=kHWf6hRV-GM

>tab bar still open when there is only 1 tab
fucking retarded

>about:config
That, and userChrome.css.

The tab bar is part of the window chrome, unless you've customized the interface differently.
Wonder if there's a setting to disable it though, if there isn't they really should have added one.

You should be aware that Waterfox is not a long-term solution, they plan to switch to Quantum.

Go with Pale Moon if you need that type of thing.

You know they have compact icons right?

it has a cool icon

>new tab tools
comfy af thx user

>This controls whether or it collects "extended" telemetry.
>The on/off switch is separate and you can toggle that just fine.
>The naming is a bit weird, I'll give you that.
Dunno about the developer version, but on my normal one that setting is false, and I never touched it in about:config.
So it's part of the normal options menu.

closing last tab doesn't close my browser and I don't need some shitty autistic plugin that only sometimes works to have this "feature"

download bar doesn't fucking pop under and require manual intervention each time it is opened. I also have a say in where downloads fucking go.

I prefer the firefox debugger than the chromium one. though the chrome remote interface api is much better for headless webscraping.

firefox dynamically links the appropriate binaries for shit like h.264 decoding so I don't need to build my own special snowflake build of chromium to have h.264 video.

Layout overall feels slightly different. things like text selection, etc feel less weird. before 57, tweaking the firefox UI was powerful.

>before 57, tweaking the firefox UI was powerful.
How did that change?

I can't hide the entire ui anymore. some of the stuff I'm doing with it right now are fedora specific backports.

Why is the tiles for the "top sites" so unbearably small. What retard thought this up?

Latest update is garbage for me, going back to a previous update.

Brave is garbage, you shitkid.

See &

because we were old enough to post here when chrome came out.

Because it's the best browser overall. Why would anyone not like Firefox?

Do you have brain damage? Pic related.

because of RICING, the only thing that REALLY matters to Sup Forums

-Stable
-Developer tools
-Good updates/addons
-No influence by Google

Basically Firefox isn't that good, it just sucks less than the others..

>not disabling pocket in about:config

I've actually been using Vivaldi lately. I don't hate it, but it's not perfect.

Yahoo is powered by Bing

>No influence by Google
user, I...

Hey not that user but we all have our kinky stuff.
Just like you. I don't want my gf to see my stuff as well.

Is that how you do it? All that integration shit is the fucking worst.

>Why does Sup Forums like Firefox so much?

Because it's not Chrome

extensions.pocket.enabled;false

>integrated ads on browser
>somehow ok because you can disable it through internal configs
I stopped seriously using firefox since back when it was a huge memory hog and would crash with a dozen tabs open, Pocket is just the icing on the cake.

Actually I'm on the same side as you.
I love FF but these crashes pisses me off.

I can't even keep the number of tabs opened on Chrome before something goes wrong.

So sad because I truly prefer FF > Chrome.

Because I can make it do what I want.

Even if they moved onto Quantum, that won't make the older versions like v55 or v56 dissapear from the face of the internet.
And even then, I'm sure there's surely always gonna be at least 1 fork of the Pre-Quantum Firefox.

Yes, and they're still bigger than these.

>Yes, and they're still bigger than these.
(insert the "You only had one job!" joke here)

I'd use oneechan but the QR box is forcefull stuck on the side

>not using newtaboveride and a custom start page
am I even on Sup Forums?

Set Settings>Main>Sidebar>Sidebar Position to Disabled and you can move it freely.

The meme, of course.

Kek