/router/

Looking for the most basic and solid router.
I'm looking to flash openwrt on it and disable WIFI Completely.

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/ASUS-3-In-1-Wireless-Router-RT-N12/dp/B00DWFPDNO/
privacytools.io/#firmware
amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Networks-ER-X-Router/dp/B0144R449W
twitter.com/AnonBabble

you probably want gigabit huh. thats gonna cost you

>you probably want gigabit
Wouldn't my isp give me that? Are you talking about the Ethernet port?

Why the fuck would you want to disable WiFi?

The reason i want disable wifi Completely is because i would only have one device in my home and that is my laptop

So why would you disable WIFI? How are you going to shitpost?!
MacBooks don't have WIFI cable ports.

No smartphone, no nothing. I would have a dumbphone. Why would i enable wifi at that point

>WIFI cable ports.
I don't have a mackbook

yea ethernet port

wouldn't my isp determine if i get a gigabyte speed package or not? Why would the router decide that for me?

if you're not using wireless why openwrt?

openwrt is just the routers software.

Here you go, genius

this
i'm fucking confused

OP here, what is this???

What the fuck are you on about
He's talking about the speed of the ethernet ports

At least offer a managed switch, basic firewall, etc if it's going to be the only thing between WAN and his laptop.

>want a router
>want to disable wifi
you're literally pissing money away dumbass

what you want is a switch

but the isp says how fast it is

openwrt is a wireless AP software before a router software
you should consider a real router platform

or alternatively, a dumb switch and run your own dhcp server

cable modems can dish out IP addresses too.

It's an unmanaged switch. You want a managed switch.
Chances are with your level of knowledge you're asking for the right hammer to bash in the screw.

Clearly explain what you want to do. chances are what you want is NOT a router.

Op here, the fuck is a switch.

thread poster here, what the fuck is a google

its like a simpler featureless router

www.google.com

The ISP dictates how fast your connection is between your gateway (modem) and the outside world.
If you plugged, say, two computers into a gigabit switch, they'd be able to send data to each other at 1 gigabit a second.

Are you retarded?

to the internet. not if you were moving files within your home network

Let's say i have one laptop and one laptop only. And i want to connect to the internet. I don't want wireless internet. I don't have any wireless devices in my house at all expect for that laptop.

What should i use or do?

but I said it's just ONE laptop.

you take your isp provided modem and plug the ethernet cable going "out" from it into your laptop

but he didn't specify if he uses ADSL, fiber, or anything else requiring a modem
maybe it's broadband
a managed switch would be a far better idea than just sticking your laptop into WAN

>the fuck is a switch.
It's what your dad should have beat your ass with for being so tech illiterate.

Then plug your laptop into the modem that your ISP provided you

oh okay, so thats it? Just a modem? ffs i don't know what a modem exactly is. Everyone keeps talking about routers these days so i just went with it

Op is one of those guys who uses buzzwords but doesn't know about anything..how do you not know what a switch is..

I think he has the best idea with using openwrt to turn off wifi. If in the future you want wifi you can always turn it on. Managed switched will probably be too complex and expensive for him.

OP I recently bought this.
amazon.com/ASUS-3-In-1-Wireless-Router-RT-N12/dp/B00DWFPDNO/

and flashed openwrt on it.

This was my post before i made a thread

You fucking faggot, is this a switch???

Plug laptop and modem into wall with one of these. Then you have hardwired Ethernet at any outlet

Do you have internet now? If yes, go to the box it comes from and plug an ethernet cable into it. Plug the other end into your laptop. Boom, done.

a modem is a modulator/demodulator, it takes the analog signal from whatever wire you're being provided and converts it into a digital signal
it might already be a digital signal, but people still often refer to the isp provided gateway device as a modem
the isp provided gateway device is often a router, if it was not a router then you would have to use software on the computer plugged into the modem in order to give your credentials to the isp
if the device works without needing software on the computer end, it is a router
a router is the devices that separates two networks, this allows you to have your local network and connect all devices in it to the isp's network

see

OP here, so modem is my best bet if i don't want wifi? Then why the fuck do ISP's give out routers then???
Using roomates wifi, i don't give a fuck at the moment, just asking questions

>See this
>Start to feel bad
I think you need to do more research op. Understand networking before you try to buy/hack specialized equipment. Just get an e900 and flash ddwrt or upgrade when you're ready

You have no idea what you are doing. Call your ISP and have them provide you with the hardware you need.

A router does not have WiFi retards

Get an edge router x

the isp provided gateway device, and routers in general, offer some security features like basic firewalls that protect your computer from being completely open and vulnerable

with a modem directly, your computer is the target of all outside attacks
with a router, the router is the target
that is one of the reasons a router is the preferred solution

another reason is so that the connection is "always on", rather than you needing to deliberately start the software for the connection in the case of using a modem
modems in general are inconvenient to end users, and routers are "feature rich", even though they may have plenty of features you don't actually need

routers are sometimes a layer of annoyance when you know what you're doing, but using a modem directly is just something that was phased out like a decade ago, due to all the advantages of using a router instead

>Using roomates wifi,
Plug into the router, then. Even the shittiest routers I've seen, have ethernet ports.

>the isp provided gateway device, and routers in general, offer some security features like basic firewalls that protect your computer from being completely open and vulnerable
>with a modem directly, your computer is the target of all outside attacks
>with a router, the router is the target

OP here, thank you so much. I will just get a router then. And just disable wifi in the openwrt software. So which router should i get?

>I'm looking to flash openwrt on it and disable WIFI Completely.
then you are NOT looking for the most basic and solid router.

>confusing a router with a firewall

Kek

>Let's say
>just asking questions

you can't ask hypotheticals if you don't know what you're talking about

to add, the isp provided gateway device is often many items in one

it is a modem, taking the analog signal and turning it into digital
it is a router, separating your network and the isp network
it is a firewall, blocking traffic that you have not requested be forwarded to your machine
it is a switch, providing multiple interface ports for multiple computers
it is a wireless access point, providing wireless interfaces for multiple machines

you can buy individual devices for all of these functions, but generally the isp is providing them all in a single package with their gateway device
a common home router today is also all of those except for a modem
a commercial router usually has one port per network it is separating, if it is the boundary of two networks then it will have two ports, it also is unlikely to provide firewall functionality

I already got my answer cunt, all you faggots are tech illiterate expect for this user.

if money is no object you can get one that comes with openwrt or tomato

your level is low

who are we to be assuming is providing port address translation in this scenario?

yeah yeah, a router with openwrt is my best bet

this

You want to install on is focusing in wireless ap on router,but not use the WiFi you are basically wasting money for the WiFi radio that could be used on a better CPU for your router or etc.

If your router doesn't have gigabit ports, then it can't transfer gigabit speeds. For ex. if you put a 500mbit line on a router with only 100mbit ports, you'll only get 100mbit max.

Actually, this isn't completely true, you'd most likely get even less, since what also matters is the performance of the router CPU. If it isn't strong enough to do handle enough traffic, you'll get much lower speeds. Unless of course you never use the routers WAN port and connect to the net with your PC; at which rate you don't need a router, you only need a switch.

Pic related. My old router was limited to low speeds, connecting to the net directly allowed things to go much faster.
Today I use an Asus RT-N18U, it has gigabit ports, and can actually handle very high speeds on the WAN port as well, with routing enabled. I only have a 500mbit line, but it can handle all of that no problem. The wifi part of it is sort of crap (read: not AC), but I don't use it for that. I think they only sold this model in eastern Europe, though - it's basically that 56U black diamond whatever thing, but without the AC wifi.

I'm gonna get a router because it does all these things in oneYeah i guess, this post changed my opinion because a plain modem would mean i wouldn't have a firewall

If you have some old computer parts laying around you could build a simple computer and run PfSense on it. PfSense lets consumer hardware become a powerful router. Or you can buy one of their cheap & small prebuilt routers that run PfSense. PfSense and it's plugins will put openWRT to shame.

OP here.Is the Asus RT-N18U a better router than those linksys routers?

>ports
Fuck I hate nu-Sup Forums. You're all fucking tech illiterate retards.

OP here. Fuck. Which one should i choose then?? Openwrt or pfsense?

privacytools.io/#firmware

If you're building your own, probably PfSense. If you're going to flash new firmware on a different router, openWRT

OP here, can this be hardwired? I don't want to use wifi

You faggot. Don't impersonate me.

if you have to ask you're probably better off just doing
you're in way over your head

Do network switches have a firewall? Or are they secure unlike a modem?

>the absolute state of Sup Forums

here we go again

it's a good question tho

a switch is a device that works at the local network level, there isn't a point in the local network level that all traffic "must" go through, so it wouldn't make sense to have a firewall at a switch, all the devices are trying to find the shortest, most efficient path between each other
a switch's concern is moving data from one device on the network to another, if it tried to process each piece of data, it would not be as fast or as cost effective as they are

a "good" switch should be considered to be basically a really advanced cable splitter

a switch would not be considered a secure device beyond that all the devices you connect to the switch are ones that you should trust
if you have an untrustworthy device, you may want to put it on a different network segment separated by a router

connecting a switch to an isp directly will most likely result in failure to provide any useful functionality
it still needs a host in the form of a router or a computer to provide credentials about your subscription for the line

Since this is network /sqt/
What are the differences between ordinary computer firewall and router's firewall?

>with a modem directly, your computer is the target of all outside attacks

What should i do then to secure myself?

My college condo setup with eBayed parts (you can probably find it cheaper):

Cuckcast 100/5 WAN > $50 SB6190 cable modem > $0 Sophos UTM* recycled PC build (IDS, Firewall, DHCP router) > $70 Unify 8 Port PoE Switch > $50 Unifi AP-AC Lite

*I may swap out the Sophos UTM for a Unify Security Gateway Router + Cloud Key to complete my $UBNT shill stack, but my current DIY Linux router is quite overpowered with a maxing out the L2TP VPN connection (upload set at 4) and running network packet sniffing and analysis

OP go for Sophos UTM (Linux based, free diy setup), pfSense (FreeBSD based, free diy setup) or Unifi Security Gateway/Ubiquity Edgerouter (Vyatta Linux based under $100). Bonus point for setting up a cheap Mikrotik network.

Build your own gigabit DHCP router/firewall/IDS (

>A router does not have WiFi retards

check out this underage faggot... still using his dads wired router from 2002

a computer's firewall is more robust, in the sense that you are able to limit the flow of data on a per service basis
with the stronger cpu, you are able to have much more complex rules about what data to allow and what data to discard
unfortunately, there is the problem of a software based firewall and its level of privilege in regard to other parts of the data, often it is simply not able to be "the first thing" that inspects data on whether it is okay for the host or not, and exploits at different levels of the computer (such as the infamous intel management engine risks, or one of hundreds of windows issues) will be processed before it ever hits the firewall

a hardware based firewall, such as that in a consumer grade router, will be more primitive in strength, but that is not necessarily a bad thing
the firewall in this case makes much more simple decisions, generally based on the port but sometimes more (often is able to discard simple, well known attacks), and will discard data before it hits any of the computers on the network

a dedicated, commercial firewall (generally another "hardware" device, but it obviously uses software) has aspects of both, it is able to provide complex processing based on what is inside the data and still is a boundary between whether or not data ever reaches a machine

you can have all three for a very high level of security, or you can make do with just one
...if possible, try not to make do with just the software firewall on the host machine though

you can use a hardware firewall, or a software firewall, or just make sure you are as up to date as possible with the most secure, least complex software available to you

user, get a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter

amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Networks-ER-X-Router/dp/B0144R449W

>My college condo
Shut your fucking ass up bitch, kys

>software firewall
You mean on my debian system???

Y? It’s only $80k for 950sqft and next to campus + markets + bars

Shut the fuck up. She fucks a gook faggot fuck

??? Literally... What?

Doesnt it come with ufw?

Interesting interesting, so is ufw the firewall?

Yes it is, try 'ufw status' to show if its running

>software firewall
This might sound farfetched but does the linux kernel have some type of firewall? Or do i have to use some type of firewall software like iptables or ufw?

ifconfig

You don't ever have visitors at your place?

ifconfig is deprecated. Use ip instead

it's all hypothetical but yes i wouldn't have visitors

Why would i use these commands anyway

Info about your connection, it used to be the ipconfig of Linux

How can someone hack me if im using a modem directly??? Proof

>underage
>using a router from 2002

:^)

Is there such thing as a high speed modem? or an open source modem? Or does your isp just give you one and thats it.

>gigabit
>expensive
decent gigabit routers go for less than $70 on amazon.