Rust or Kotlin

I already know Java and C#.

I want to learn a modern language with good type inference and null safety.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/channel/UCYqCZOwHbnPwyjawKfE21wg/playlists
kotlinlang.org/docs/reference/java-to-kotlin-interop.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

pic not related I take it?

Just a random pic for the post

Kotlin is pretty good if you know Java already.

Is anybody learning Kotlin who isn't an Android dev? It doesn't seem very similar to Rust.

I love Rust but it will probably be anathema to a Java/C# guy (functional/imperative instead of object-oriented, no runtime or GC, etc). But it's an amazing language.

The compile-to-binary compiler implementation of Kotlin was just recently released, wait till that gets more support before you get into Kotlin

Until then there is Rust and Go
youtube.com/channel/UCYqCZOwHbnPwyjawKfE21wg/playlists

kotlin is literally java. It's just cosplay java programming.

Rust at least has a legitimately sound type system, unlike java/c#. But if you really want to learn truly "modern" languages with features that the industry probably isn't gonna realize it wants for another decade, learn F#, Haskell, and Idris (in that order, to gradually detox off the silly OOP mindset).

Kotlin is the obvious choice.

Wrong.

Rust is not a programming language, it's a poison designed to culturally marxify the industry from the inside and enslave us all under the yoke of a CoC. Even from beyond the grave the Soviets Union has its tentacles everywhere. Don't use programs made in Rust unless you're prepared to call everybody "comrade."

There's nothing wrong with Kotlin though.

Rust is nice if you're into activism. If you're into being productive, choose Kotlin.

t. Rohinder Mahapatra

Kotlin is made by Russians.

It's literally a Kremlin botnet.

Sorry Xir, for offending you. But, if anything, you should be calling me a Russian.

>There's nothing wrong with Kotlin though

It's made by Russian Jews.

Russians are our allies. It's the Soviets you have to watch out for.

Why? Kotlin is Java curry shit.

Nah, Kotlin is a means of identifying the curry and removing it immediately. You can't tell what's curry and what's not with all the Java boilerplate code. Now that the JVM can be written in clean and effective code, the curryshits will be get the rope ASAP.

This "muh activism" meme needs to stop. Rust btfos all these garbage collected shit heaps cause the people working on them are top tier smart. Also traits are god tier

Working on rust*

What are some books to get started on Kotlin as someone who doesnt know anything about programming?

Learn clojure

he means the (((Soviets))) for anyone who didn't get ir

Its made by czechs

Close.

It's made by neoliberal Moscowites and St. Cuckbergers working for a foreign (Czech) corporation.

t. Russian

haskell obviously

>Rust or Kotlin
Would you compare C++ to Java?

>C#.
>I want to learn a modern language with good type inference and null safety.
Haven't you done that already?

Kotlin does all that as well though and it's the hot new thing.

It's made by Microsoft, it has to be evil and bad

Does Kotlin have much momentum outside of Android? Like can I start writing my Enterprise Quality™ "microservices" with Kotlin now and take Java to the loo once and for all?

Seriously, I experimented with Kotlin first and now trying to adjust to Java is painful, what a horribly designed language.

Also learn Rust OP. Kotlin is just Java with fixes, it won't teach you much (other than how needlessly awful Java is). If you know Java then you basically know Kotlin already.

Enjoy your botNET, faggot

Yes you can. You can literally write kotlin and convert it to Java so none of the poo programmers can complain.

like manually translate it to java or is there an automated tool for that? I thought you could only go java->kotlin. let's say the poos in question only want to see java in code review and aren't going to install the kotlin compiler.

What if I told you that you can learn, use and enjoy rust without ever being involved in any sjw activity?

> Does Kotlin have much momentum outside of Android?
Not really, no.

> Like can I start writing my Enterprise Quality™ "microservices" with Kotlin now and take Java to the loo once and for all?
Some companies definitely want to hire you to write Scala & it's not impossible that someone would let you write Kotlin, but overall it'll mostly be Java.

Menu > Tools > Kotlin > Show Kotlin Bytecode.
Click on the Decompile button.
Copy the java code.

If they're just going to just call your code, you can do this:
kotlinlang.org/docs/reference/java-to-kotlin-interop.html

does that mean it'll just make me go trans and dye my hair obnoxious colors?

I mean, that's better than going full-retard I guess......

ugh, that's what I thought. Seems like too much trouble desu. I can try pushing kotlin, but I don't think I'm going to convince them. sad because it's java made bearable.

man I got hyped for scala last year and went through the FP in Scala book, but I've read too many bad things about it in production and I'm not good enough to get a job in hipsterville writing ML pipelines or whatever the fuck. Guess I'm staying in the java poolag for the foreseeable future.