Building a jewish computer

Someone tell me why is it a bad idea to buy this and hook it up to a monitor.

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/Coin-Co-Dollar-Bill-Accepter-Model-BA30B/263339626034?hash=item3d5043ce32:g:WZUAAOSwz~paFhny
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Because it is missing most of the components.

Like what?

Keyboard.
Mousepad.
Screen.
Drives.
Side port daughter boards.
Battery.
You know, the entire rest of the fucking laptop.

It is a laptop so it will probably not boot if even one of the above are missing.

Why don't you simply get a cheap T430 and hook it up to a monitor instead? It's portable, survives power outages and already has a case.

Nah that is rarely the case. I will just buy a charger and keep it charging at all times.

I can plug in USB keyboard/mouse

The title of this is Building a jewish computer.

Pennies user... trying to save even pennies.

raspberry pi is 30 $ cheaper and can run off sdcard.

I can't say for sure that board will work on its own. Some dells don't.
However, the HP 8460/70 models work outside the chassis. I attached one to a A7E34AA dock, used it as a guest pc for a while and gave it to a friend who had a chromebook. Still works today.

P.s. The ziptied heatsink is there because that component is cooled via the chassis with a thermal pad normally

it's also significantly less powerful than an x1

exactly.
less power used.

>However, the HP 8460/70 models work outside the chassis. I attached one to a A7E34AA dock, used it as a guest pc for a while and gave it to a friend who had a chromebook. Still works today.

How can I know in advance which will work outside of the chassis?

Comparing 30$ R-Pi with a 56$ Thinkpad x1. Congrats user..

How you gonna turn it on?

The power button is part of the keyboard assembly.

No, it is not rarely the case. It is most often the case.

It may or may not boot. I used to repair laptops and there is a 50/50 chance of it not booting without those components. The biggest risk is the battery because a lot of BIOS's will try to talk to the charge controller as a safety thing. Screen, mouse, keyboard, and drives are probably ok. Most daughter boards are just USB hubs these days, but if they are more integral parts that could also be a problem.

>I attached it to a dock
Why the fuck? A dock? There goes all the money you saved by not just having a complete laptop. Dumbass.

Even if it boots many laptops will downclock themselves with no battery present.

>How can I know in advance which will work outside of the chassis?
Maybe google if someone else has tried? But a particular laptop model might has several revisions of the board. Its a dice roll.

I'm assuming you can make contact with the power button with someone conductive like you can with a regular computer motherboard in order to power it on.

>Building a jewish computer
It's not about power, its about spending the least amount of money

He can't. Because the button is not on the board. It comes in through the keyboard ribbon cable. Those pins are tiny as fuck.

They're like $15 on ebay bromeo

that's why lenovo tends to sell higher wattage chargers

And when you add that plus the price of drives and a keyboard and shit then you're now at the cost of just getting the same complete laptop.

I'm not OP faggot. I would just drop a grand on a laptop, but this thread is about spending as little money as possible.

there's a concept of bang-for-the-buck
an ARM that will barely play videos, or an actual modern laptop?

I bet you could find entire working thinkpads / Latitudes for $50. Decent ones, too.

Its more profitable to mass sell computers you get off a company doing an asset purge than to take them apart and sell the parts seperately, because then you have all sorts of labor costs

Go look at the $30-100 desktops / laptops on ebay, I bet their parts are worth more than the Buy It Now price + shipping

The 84x0 boards have the button right on the board,and a big ass button on the dock if you buy one

It's not just wattage. Many laptops just do it regardless of wattage going in if it detects no battery.

Drop this false dichotomy. Its not dropping a grand if you don't go full autist trying to bring a bare board to life. You can find a complete X1 Carbon for like $150-$200.

Not the X1 Carbon, which is what this thread is about.

>false dichotomy
>autist
kek

If I was buying a laptop it wouldn't be an X1

Just buy an Orange PI. They have a 4k decoder that is actually decent, get Debian on there with some XFCE and boom, low resource high res media center.

X1 Carbon does not have a dock port.

Chargers are rated for average power consumption. Laptops can draw more peak power than even higher wattage adapters can provide. Therefore without a battery to draw it from the laptop would just shut off. Hence most manufacturers (Dell and ThinkPad for sure) arbitrarily throttle themselves if there is no battery connected.

better off grabbing something off of craigslist desu

doesnt seem kosher desu

Some thinkpads have a bios option to turn on the laptop when AC power is connected.
But if that setting is turned off then I don't know how you would be able to turn it on.

>No, it is not rarely the case. It is most often the case.
It's the opposite you fucktard

In this case he is right. The X1 Carbon won't boot without the keyboard plugged in. Because that is where the power button is.

Just saying OP can do what he wants to do, just with different hardware. Thinkpads are a meme

>drag tip of Phillips screwdriver around the keyboard input on the thinkpad mobo
>it eventually turns on with no harm done because any incorrect inputs happened while the computer was off
of course you're gonna ruin the keyboard input doing that over time but who cares

It's a ribbon cable m8. It's not exposed pins. It's under a big plastic wedge.

youre gonna need some of these.
ebay.com/itm/Coin-Co-Dollar-Bill-Accepter-Model-BA30B/263339626034?hash=item3d5043ce32:g:WZUAAOSwz~paFhny

RGB lighting and custom loop cooling.

oh and dont forget the plastic case around the motherboard. plastic is really important for the conduction of the components

>Keyboard.
USB
>Mousepad.
USB
>Screen.
External
>Drives.
The connector is standard, just stick one in
>Side port daughter boards.
This is a bit of a problem, and another part he'll have to buy. Or he can see if he can find the pinout for the headers someplace and wire it up.
>Battery.
Not needed, it boots fine without. He just needs the AC adapter.
>You know, the entire rest of the fucking laptop.
He's making a cheapass desktop, not a laptop

You can get an actual tower for 50, scrap workstations and office computers can be found for that price and are going to be faster than the shitty ULV's in any recent laptop, specially ultrathins like the X1X