/dpt/ - Daily Programming Thread

Previous thread: What are you working on, Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

stackoverflow.com/questions/47326161/is-self-modifying-code-the-best-option-for-creating-ai
netrunner.cc/
code.google.com/archive/p/mman-win32/
pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/007904875/basedefs/sys/mman.h.html
msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/commandline/wsl/about
virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads
ubuntu.com/download
github.com/klauspost/mman-win32
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Y'all a buncha baka

first for java

Java apps are notorious for slow startup times.

Java is dead.

Who cares aboht startup time when you only start a program once?

Was JIT a mistake?

Is self modifying code the best option for creating AI?
These questions are ones that have been gyrating around my mine for some time and I would cherish the privilege, if someone could perchance answer some of them.
As for what I mean when I say self-modifying code, I am referring to code that has the ability to rewrite itself and amend possible errors within its own constitution, to better complete tasks or understand concepts, or in other words: recursive self-improvement.

I understand that self-modifying code already exists, and has existed for some time, but has mostly been used for relatively simple purposes such as shortening lines of code or as an outmoded method of protecting code from theft. However, I would like to believe that self-modifying code has potential in the creation of machine learning. So these are some of the questions I have.
(Feel free to fill me in on whether or not any of these questions turn out to be imbecilic balderdash fuelled by any misunderstanding of this concept.)

Is AI that very closely emulates a human-like learning process, even possible? If so would self-modifying code be the best approach towards recreating human level AI? Could you perhaps elaborate on how this could be used?
Could I get some insight into how advanced AI currently is? Does AI currently use any forms of self-modifying code?
Given the current hardware and technical limitations, how long could human level intelligence take to develop?

In keeping with self-modifying code, if AI could effectively learn new things, would we even be able to control what it learns? Or would it learn so much in a short amount of time that it would lose track of its original goal? Could there possibly be any further limitations within AI development?
If AI reached the aforementioned point of “hyper speed” learning, could it potentially be dangerous? Alternatively, could it be the last thing we ever need to design, as the AI could take over all human based engineering and invention?

That cake looks every bit as un-appetizing as Kotlin itself.

In keeping with self-modifying code, if AI could effectively learn new things, would we even be able to control what it learns? Or would it learn so much in a short amount of time that it would lose track of its original goal? Could there possibly be any further limitations within AI development?
If AI reached the aforementioned point of “hyper speed” learning, could it potentially be dangerous? Or, alternatively, could it be the last thing we ever need to design, as the AI could take over all human based engineering and invention?

Some already existing self-modifying AI experiments that uses the programming language Brainf*ck (Pardon my French) seem to use a brute force-esque trial and error method of learning, in which the AI attempts many thousand possible combinations until it reaches its final goal. Is this the best method of getting AI to learn for itself?
Could an AI use its previous experiences with tasks to speed up the processes of the next task, meaning the AI begins to figure out what outcome is most likely to give it the result it wants, rather than going through all possible results one at a time?

is this some dumb pasta?

that is the entire concept of The Terminator and the technological singularity in general, remember?
the software improves itself, is now smarter, improves itself some more, etc

he may have been the one who posted it as well
stackoverflow.com/questions/47326161/is-self-modifying-code-the-best-option-for-creating-ai

Support NetRunner netrunner.cc/

How are you lads doing?
Implement anything big lately?

This is going to sound incredibly retarded, and it probably is, but how do you get a stream (not cin, but an ifstream) to read a string? Not a file, but a string.

Are you trying to make a general purpose browser? Or just the best possible browser for using Sup Forums?
if it's just for Sup Forums then your scope would be a lot smaller, you wouldn't really have to worry about security, etc

In c++

If by self-modifying AI you mean a program smart enough to understand its own source code, and self-aware enough to understand its own limitations, we're not even close. It's inconceivable from where we currently stand except in some vague sci-fi wishful thinking sense. The closest viable option would be to use genetic algorithms to evolve better neural network structures, which is a process of gradual improvement that doesn't involve any "intelligence".

getline accepts any stream.

so instead of passing in a filepath of the file to read from, you want it to read from a string in memory?

Oh wait, I misread your post. Check out stringstream.

Are you gonna participate in Advent of Code this year?
It's an advent calendar that spawns a new programming challenge everyday till christmas.

I made a private leaderboard for /dpt/ if you wanna join.
>43046-941b8011
There's no use in trying to get on the main leaderboard, The top 100 fills up in less than 8 minutes upon the release of every new puzzle at midnight.

Yes. I can't figure out how to get the stream to read a string that I have.
Okay, will do.

>muh "moan ads"
>muh "lamb duhs"
>muh "ass lel"
Why do H-ass-kill girlmales think it is a good idea to prove to potential boyfriends what good programmers they are by producing "moan ads" in which they embed ads of them moaning into their kode komments? It's true, ask any asslel girlmale about "moan ads," (((((((((s))))))))he will immediately moan at you.

Pic related: a screencap of an illicit """moan ad"""""" extracted from ass-lel source (((k)))ode

>t. sepples coder

just because it's a shitpost, doesn't excuse you from making shit posts

Post Number.63605410
These russian bots sure are getting better at shitposting.

>>>>>>>>>>t. asslel girlmales

soyboy functional poogramers eternally btfo

see

All those questions are a big "who knows". We're not even at a point where a computer can learn or behave in any human-like manner.

neat. might give it a shot.

>>>t. producer of "lamb duhs"""" in which fucktional poograndmas (((male))))))) will recursively count lambs instead of sheep

Just helping the guys out by remembering Sup Forums, they hang mostly at IRC/discord these days.
Is a framework for a browser but concerned for security.

>IRC
Is there a new channel? Because the one on rizon hasn't had a single message in two fucking days

No, the same as always but their bridge to discord might be down again.

see

>but concerned for security.
oh, count me out then

>discord
really hate that gay piece of crap uggggh

how do you prevent local optimums in self modifying code

>>>>>>>t. fucktional poopjanitor

Is this considered a replay attack?

>>>/global/rules/6

>not knowing how to make something reusable even after being told
>pasting hacks on top of existing code instead of learning
>not being able to do basic debugging
>not writing documentation and tests, even a quick manual test
>not contributing to the organization of the code
>copy pasting code and barely modifying it without understanding it
>renaming things just flat out wrong
>missing acceptance criteria
>doing all of this despite the contribution guidelines and warnings
I'M SICK OF THIS! REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! BRAINLETS GET OUT OF SOFTWARE! THE REASON WE HAVE HALF OF THE RIDICULOUS PRACTICES WE DO IS BECAUSE OF BABYSITTING! FUCK OFF!

>t. fictitious pimpslapper

Working on c++ program that sorts an array of 3d points by distance from each other or by distance from a reference point. What about you fags?

>sorts an array of 3d points by distance from each other
how's that work then

i am trying to write an rk4 integrator for the two body problem in python (numpy)
>why.jpg
i am not sure why this happens

>>>/global/rules/6

>i am not sure why this happens
Because your code is broken and you cannot into physics. Also because you used Python.

I've downloaded The C Programming Language Second Edition but I've heard it's outdated in some areas. Are there any better more contemporary books for C?

C Programming: A Modern Approach

Genuinely a good book.

Do you expect someone to look at your picture, deduce exactly what stupid mistake you made in your code and fix it for you?

Do you believe that your time is more valuable than that of someone who is obviously smarter and more knowledgeable than you are?

What's the official Sup Forums irc?

Sup Forums irc

>Do you believe that your time is more valuable than that of someone who is obviously smarter and more knowledgeable than you are?
>reads the thread
that's a joke.

login info pls

username moot
password =cuck

dumbas

What exactly is webasm and why are so many redditor types afraid of it

webass is the latest trash framwork meme that the webdevs have pulled out of their ass

There's a list of Sup Forums IRC channels in the wiki. Don't know how active those are though, I'm mainly using discord nowadays.

Because it threatens all the shitty JS frameworks.

could it feasibly replace them?
I have been on the fence about learning javascript mainly because it seems there is a new "must have" framework every 5 minutes.

I'm in a C/Assembly class of 300+ people, and this assignment uses a file that does not exist on windows API. OSX and unix has it though

Apparently I'm the only guy complaining about this to the tutors out of 300, 400 people. I can't be the only guy not using a fucking macbook to program his shit right...? right?

I mean come on.

Need to really go in and organize my file server. Things are put in the core folders like they should but the sub folders contents really are a mess.

what file

>autistic winfag gets caught using his shit non-POSIX operating system in what is clearly an upper-division computer science course
>instead of installing Linux or getting a Mac like everyone else, the autistic winfag screeches online to other autists

install gentoo

>his uni doesn't have a SSH server for programming assignments

But seriously. If you are using Windows for schoolwork, everyone is laughing at you. You look like a retard who plays a lot of video games and decided that meant you should become a programmer. Get *nix or drop out before you waste any more money and time. Nigger.

If it delivers on the ASM side it certainly will. It also sells itself on being more pleasant to debug.

Maki would make a very molestable loli.

mman.h

I don't even know where to start. I use windows as my main work/school as I work with wacom related stuff (photoshop, maya 3d, adobe illustrator, etc) and their support on unix/posix is complete shit, and I hate apple.

So I need a whole new laptop just to do school work and that sounds feasible? I don't even play video games.

I guess I can ssh, but my work gives me access to many jetbrains IDEs for free and I would like to use them.

Fuck this, and fuck you unix niggers. When support for your shit gets better we'll talk.

wow that was hard.
already found it.

Calculate the distance, sort array in order from least to greatest

>So I need a whole new laptop just to do school work and that sounds feasible?
or you could just run linux in a vm or install it on your laptop.

>calculate the distance
Which distance?

I have a bootable USB unix distro hanging around somewhere, I'll just use that

You know you can run linux in a VM or in dual-boot right?

>their support on unix/posix is complete shit

I have to agree with this but not really the fault of linux. Adobe avoids linux like the plague, even when people (web devs especially) have been screaming for linux support for their software for years.

When using spaCy, how would you go about finding just the adjectives of a parsed string?

This? code.google.com/archive/p/mman-win32/

here it is, not sure if you can download it though.

Holy shit you're stupid. When you said "a file" I thought you meant something like the hosts file or something. You should have you were missing a header.

I don't have time to explain all the complexities of C compilers to you (perhaps you should talk to your professor during their office hours?) but clearly they are expecting you to be compiling your program on a POSIX-compatible operating system, specifically one that supports the options listed here: pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/007904875/basedefs/sys/mman.h.html

You have a few options for compiling your program:

* Use Microsoft's built-in Linux syscall emulation layer: msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/commandline/wsl/about

* Create a virtual machine running *nix: virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads + ubuntu.com/download

or just install *nix or BSD yourself or get a Mac.

But most importantly, I hope you've learned not to be a smug cunt and consider the fact that maybe it's YOU who is stupid and misinformed.

or just download this
github.com/klauspost/mman-win32

>Windows nigger literally can't compile his program and doesn't know why
>it's because his operating system doesn't support the freely-accessible standard for basic operating system functionality that has existed since the 1980s
>it compiles fine on operating systems that implement the standard (i.e. all of them besides Windows)
>he somehow concludes that the problem is "support for your shit" when the problem is literally Windows lacking support for a basic header file

Windows monkeys, everyone.

Yeah. Youre about 9 editions behind

The course is on C and assembly; teaching him that the solution to "Windows doesn't support this low-level thing" is "download some random one-off port of it" won't help because he'll just find another incompatibility. I am certain that the instructor gave instructions on how and where to compile and run code for the course that OP missed. He is almost definitely supposed to be running or emulating *nix.

>but clearly they are expecting you to be compiling your program on a POSIX-compatible operating system, specifically one that supports the options listed here

Wow, how is that any different from what I said? Yeah they expect me to use something like that, which is why I was ranting. This is like, the last assignment of the quarter and I'll have to get my distro which is fucking somewhere, or just get a new one.

Now tell me how is this not a pain in the ass in the last freaking part of the class? Oh yeah somehow you'll tell me I shouldn't rant about this.

You fucking retard, the library exists in windows but it's a different implementation. That would require the whole thing to be re-done and re-written from scratch.

And yeah, 80% of the work I do can only be done on Windows. What the fuck can I do about it? Do you think I like all the shit it comes with while getting 0 benefits? Fucking hell.

Are you guys using Kotlin yet?

fuck nixxers am i right

all of those things in that header are supported in windows, actually
it's just that you have to use the WinAPI versions instead of the posix ones

Why should I?

It's the best book for C out of any books

Meme distro

Oh. Fucked up what i said. Distance from reference point

I liked you better when you were shitposting about nim-lang

It's a pretty Java with modern concepts.

Damn no wonder our college starts you morons off with Java.