Why are Apple laptops so common in the USA when they are so expensive?

Why are Apple laptops so common in the USA when they are so expensive?

Other urls found in this thread:

thegoldwater.com/news/12947-Apple-Finds-Major-Security-Problem-In-Operating-System
slate.com/articles/business/the_united_states_of_debt/2016/05/the_rise_of_household_debt_in_the_u_s_in_five_charts.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I use one because I need some programs that aren't available on Linux, but I refuse to touch Windows with a ten-foot pole.

it's not a third world country so even "poor" people have enough money to afford them
and honestly, if you can afford it, there's literally no reason not to get one

Literal meme

>they are so expensive
they aren't, tech is dirt cheap in the US

even a hobo here could afford a macbook if it costed the same

I hate apple. I hate how they design everything to make it hard to escape their ecosystem.
But my mom didn't know that, and for christmas in college she got me a macbook air, 13'', shittiest version, still costs 1000€.
Obviously I'm not gonna complain about getting the wrong laptop, so I just went along with it, acted like it was the best thing ever, and just moved on.
When I got back to my apartment for school, I start using the laptop, learn the gestures, all that good stuff. Still hated it.
But here comes the plotwist. It has a lot of cool things, for instance, the battery is crazy (understandable taking into account the shitty hardware) For 4 years I've used it daily and it still manages a good 5 or 6 hours of use which in my use case translates to 2 days between charges. Only for youtube, Sup Forums, emulating games with open emu (which is, by far, the best all-console emulator up to PS1), classes and nothing else. It can't do much else. The fans go nuts when anything close to productive starts taking place. It can't handle Fallout 1 in a fluid manner. So basically for everything else I use my desktop. But for those few things, it is a formidable machine, expensive, but formidable for normie tier tasks, which is why they are so common. Most people don't have any interest in the kind of things that make us prefer Linux or even windows. They just want a big cell phone. Everything else is just useless for most people.

Glad my parents always just let me pick what I wanted electronics wise, instead of doing it themselves.

Blind nationalism

debt

>It can't do much else.
You mean, it can't play your fucking games, because it sure doesn't look like you've actually tried to do anything with it.

It can't run xCode effectively. It can't run more than two applications at a time. It is horrid for watching stuff on. It overheats very easily.

My department has the low-end mba as a laptop for trips and I'm pretty sure it can handle all of these very easily.

No idea which generation yours was though.

>low taxes
>cheapest priced electronics in western world
>higher wages
>Apple home state

because the people who own them have different priorities. They own shitty rusted out 90s Toyotas, live in cramped one room apartments full of cockroaches or live with their parents well past graduation age, but carry the latest shiny gadgets by Apple.

>Paying a few hundred bucks more on some electronics means you can't afford a car
The truth is, anybody can afford Apple shit, it's not about priorities. It's not actual luxury.

However, when you look at the gamer kiddies on here who still live in their mom's basement and can barely afford proper clothing, but insist on having some 1080ti monster wasting away their parent's electric bill, now this is a problem with priorities.

>but insist on having some 1080ti monster wasting away their parent's electric bill
DELID THIS

Damn, what a spoiled child.

So common? If you mean in comparison to other laptops (such as Dell or HP), you are living in a fantasy. Common in comparison to Selectric Typewriters? Perhaps. Afterall, we aren't in India.

Because paying $1200 for a laptop really eats in to $20,000 a year for rent or the $50,000 down payment required to even think about buying a house.

Also, whats wrong with a rusted out Toyota? If it’s mechanically sound, who gives a fuck? Only morons stretch themselves thin to buy a new or almost new car just for it to get beat up from normal use and depreciate.

>my parents worked at mcdonalds so i take out my anger on normal people

Credit card debt is normal here

>highly coveted status symbol
>well regarded
>good marketing, and easily accessible at major chain electronic retailers unless virtually all business class notebooks

Why so expensive? Well, they're noticeably nicer in initial build quality, than your typical, sub-$1k notebook. Apples to Apples, it's not quite as insane as you might think, in the sense that a nice business notebook will put you into the $1,000+ price range as well, however, the options are quite expensive and upgradability is virtually non-existent at this point.

they are more reliable devices and OS

What adult with a real job ever tried to upgrade a laptop? I know on Lenovo they solder in the ssd and RAM fuckery is not recommended.

>in college
>plays gaymes
mom weeps every night.

Mobile workstations and some business class laptops are built to be modular/easily serviceable, to facilitate NBD repair.

Credit cards. They're already in debt by $20,000 for college or university, what's another $1500 to them?

Because america is a wealthy nation

Nobody actually does that though. When your company laptop gets old or fails, they just give you a new one. They don't dick around with upgrading them. Replacing a failed hard drive is about the most intensive repair most companies will do, and is a non-issue with SSDs.

I dont think you know what that word means

Burgers have too much expandable money and yet so little brain.
This. iGarbage is literal status symbol.

because the US is relatively wealthy and prosperous and there are numerous US-exclusive financing options for poorfags

You're just making shit up or you're trying to do something nutty like run Unity on the shittiest oldest Macbook air. The main thing that got me to switch to mac was how poor Windows was to develop on when you wanted a laptop and were not making Windows applications

Because most US citizens are poor

Because that's the social meta. If you have things that are expensive, you are perceived as more wealthy and established. People don't buy the iPhone because it's a good phone, they buy it because it's the iPhone. i.e. people wear brands to personify what they want people to see them as.

In pic related the guy isn't even rich, but he establishes that anybody without an iPhone isn't rich, and people with iPhones are rich. i.e. the subtext of his tweet is that he calls himself rich as a social act for commemoration.

$2000 for something you'll use for 5+ years is fuck all unless you're working a low-income job or just really financially irresponsible

They cost like 1.5k to 2k. That's nothing for people with jobs.

Apple is a sign of poverty + stupidity at this point.

Because Payment plans.

Because americucks fucking love being in dept

Kek

>if you can afford it you should buy expensive stuff, even if there is cheaper equivalent
yeah, no...

>They just want a big cell phone.
kek

Considering the recent news of how you can button mash to get root permissions in macOS, I was expecting the usual shilling to double.

Exactly what you're thinking. Americans often prefer buying american products even if there are better alternatives around.

I was expecting bait, but this post makes a good point. Frankly, the only thing Macs have over something like a Chromebook is a logo.

I bought a Dell gayming laptop for $880, but a MacBook is at least $1200. What gives?

Apple financing. 0 money down, no interest if you have good credit.

Normalfaggots.

>Nobody actually does that though. When your company laptop gets old or fails, they just give you a new one.

Really that depends on the company and its needs. Upgrades are usually rare, because most of the time they're spec'd appropriately at purchase. You might see an upgrade if it turns out they were spec'd wrong (e.g. they underestimated how much RAM they needed), but really that's a result of poor planning/testing.

NBD repairs are more common. They might provision you a new one so you can get back to work immediately, but they're not just going to just throw out the old one, they're going to try repairing it.

Because the know how to market to idiots with money.

good marketing and the fact that even the most tech illiterate shlub now owns a laptop

You cannot afford shit you have to buy on Higher Purchase.

Brainlet

>type username "root"
>leave password field blank
>press enter a few times
>profit!

Applel. not even once.

why would an adult with a real job not want to save money by upgrading an existing laptop instead of buying a new one? Unless they never want to retire from that "real job".

>Higher Purchase

Because a good laptop costs money, doesn’t matter the brand.

If you are spending that money, you better get one that looks good, has a better OS and competent after sales support.

thegoldwater.com/news/12947-Apple-Finds-Major-Security-Problem-In-Operating-System

Mactoddlers BTFO

> I do not believe you can build a multibillion-dollar organization unless you are clear on which instinct or organ you are targeting.

>Apple, Amazon, Facebook, and Google have amassed a level of power that is unprecedented in our society - most over the last two decades. I argue that they have been able to do this by tapping into our basic human instincts and needs. Google is God, Facebook is love, Amazon is consumption, and Apple is sex.

Who are you quoting?

Marketing works on retards.

Inb4 paying >$1000 for 5 year old hardware isn't retarded

Because Americans live on credit and have a compulsive need to prove to their peers that they are not poor because they have the newest, shiniest, most overpriced pieces of shit they can find. This phenomenon is in no way exclusive to computers.

It isnt. I didn't want to retire anyways.

Well considering PPP they're an oddity. I think it's possible that there's a Nationalistic thing behind it. Apple has stated they make shit (iPhone) in America.
>they make escape hard
Yeah. It's pretty brutal. And the sheep fall for the marketing.

Good software, and attractive hardware.

slate.com/articles/business/the_united_states_of_debt/2016/05/the_rise_of_household_debt_in_the_u_s_in_five_charts.html

The US isn't a rich or wealthy country at all. This is specially apparent if you exclude the top 2% of the population who hold the vast majority of wealth in that country.

The harsh truth is that if you have zero debt and one dollar in your pocket then you're wealthier than most Americans.

This may be why a Apple phone or computer is considered a status symbol by many even though it's a overpriced glorified low-cost item; people who don't own their home or even a car think it's a big investment.

So you're saying non-American favor other aspects more? Things I'd probably regard as more rational (battery life is probably the most important factor for users, and by extension easily replaceable batteries)
The implication is that there's a difference in priorities.

No, I think people with a disposible income will spend more money on their laptop, regardless of where they live.

wealthier cultures tend to breed fags
especially when the jews are involved

Because poor people buy them as a sign of status.

Because they're so easy to log into
Step one, type in your username: root
Step two, press enter
Step three, there is no step three! There's no step three!!

hahahahahahahahaha

Do you're saying it's the price that drives the popularity. What does the software and the hardware have to do with this?

>it's real
Haha wow.

>make it hard to escape their ecosystem
hahahaha what the FUCK are you talking about you literal retard, just buy another computer, easy you dense low IQ amerifat.

give root a password, pajeet.

You've missed the point. Apple locks you in by keeping your data difficult to move. It's an ecosystem with no native export features.
If you buy a new computer you would need to make an effort most users aren't capable of or willing to make.
Naturally for anyone semi-competent you can work around it but that's a high requirement for a lot of people.

The easy to use software combined with the good looking hardware causes people to choose to spend their money on a mac if they can afford it. If macs didn't exist, they'd spend a lot of money on a different computer.

Americans get taught at a very early age to lease their phone, car, TV, furniture and education so they can signal their wealth to others while dying inside due to the massive monthly payments

The payments are easy. The real stress comes when the repo guys come and take your stuff because you missed a payment.

>lease
No, dumbass. They go on credit cards with 29.99% APR

Because murica is full of starbucks powered kids having rich parents.

ouch, some pople on twitter are so disgusting
I wonder if there is audience for this in the US that actually gives such assholes likes or are people just so retarded that they don't get what they say about themselves?

Are you sure you have the latest one? Because I have the same one and this is all bullshit.

>can't run xcode effectively
Aside from the fact that "Xcode" and "effective" do not belong in the same sentence, I'm not sure what you're talking about. I've used it to dig into the guts of React Native and it works fine. It's not even slow.
>can't run more than two applications at a time
What are you even running on it? I have two browsers, a JetBrains IDE and a couple of special snowflake Electron apps open at the same time. It runs fine. I've even run Unity on the fucking thing. It has never once been slow due to lack of memory.
>horrid for watching stuff on
It's a 13-inch laptop, what the fuck are you expecting? Just hook it up to a TV.
>overheats very easily
That's why smcFanControl exists. Put the fan on full blast when you're doing something intensive and all your problems go away.

Please tell us what data you're finding difficult to move so we can laugh at you more effectively.
Yes, normalfags who can't use computers will be "locked in". That's perfectly fine. They can either learn or go fuck themselves off a cliff.

finally someone understands why these products are popular.

unlike the autists in here, people want a lightweight laptop with looots of battery that deliver more performance than your autist chinkpads.

Easy to use as well.

Windows is determined to stay the way it was in the year 2000.

that also. because the touchpad is unironically the best thing on mac, you literally don't need a mouse ever again. and I am not joking, the most precise trackpad and the most comfy UX in the world.

just fucking try it out yourself at some apple store.

social stigma

is that why Apple manufactures its products in China?

It frustrates me that OSX is the best OS, because it bores me, and there is so much quality hardware to choose from if I want a Winblows or Linux PC.

Oh, regarding the touchpad: Yeah, it's fantastic, but I've used others that are nearly as good, and I'd be willing to bet that high end hardware like the surfacebook would have a touchpad that's just as good.

It just can't beat mouse, much better device, it's just physically impossible to span that.
Or well, maybe if you only use retarded mouse failures made by apple. But that would be your problem.

Because macbook sacrifice performance (weak cpu + Intel HD graphics) for enjoy the biggest battery life (8hr-10hr), more time for shitpost in your discord and facebook sites.
Meanwhile professional applications (Photoshop, Solidworks, AutoCad) need powerful cpus that dont exist in Apple devices.

Then buy a PC.

If there were money in selling their products with better specs, then they'd do it.
Annoying as it is, apple knows that people will put up with shitty specs for the (admittedly very good) OS and the illusion of good build quality.

t. poorfag

Best laptop I've ever used I can run comfy Linux virtual machines with the best build quality. I still use a windows 10 desktop with a Ryzen 1600x and rx580 8gb, but for laptops MacBooks are just too good.

>claimed

fashion accessory for poor, lower middle/middle class

>2013
>chinkpad

You need to go back

>claimed
you're making purely hardware comparisons, which is very stupid. Ofc you can quickly scan the cells and see which is a bigger denser battery, why bother going through the tests