I want to buy a new monitor

I want to buy a new monitor
I want the best colors and picture
what do I want? IPS? OLED? High pixel density?
Must be at least 1080p, between 23 and 32 inches
any recs?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/dp/B00VERZDEG/ref=psdc_1292115011_t5_B071SGQP1T
amazon.com/gp/product/B00QS0AKVK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
rtings.com
displaylag.com/display-database/
samsung.com/us/business/products/computing/monitors/s/_/n-10 11 15pey2/)
pcpartpicker.com/product/Dnbkcf/lg-24mp59g-p-238-1920x1080-75hz-monitor-24mp59g-p
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>best colors and picture
get something like pic related

I suggest a Lenovo L24Q. It's a sub-$200 1440p resolution monitor. Nice response rate and a beautiful IPS screen.

amazon.com/dp/B00VERZDEG/ref=psdc_1292115011_t5_B071SGQP1T

Opinions on the Thinkvision T23i-10?
I can get one for like 124 usd

amazon.com/gp/product/B00QS0AKVK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I have this one at work. Pretty good in my opinion, but I don't use it for gaming so if you need a hella high refresh rate, i don't know how this one would do. But for office/normie use, its bueno

You can use the one in your pic like me. It's quite good, though I wish it had VESA support.

Dell ultrasharp ofc.
IPS/High pixel density 24/27/32 inch models.

This. Specially if you don't want to mess with calibration since they come factory calibrated.

Whats a good 1080p ips monitor for gaming and movies around $150? I was looking at a U2414H for around that price but its 8ms response time is really high compared to most of the monitors I was looking at

Depending on the type of games you play 8ms is basically nothing. Also dell tends to be pretty accurate in relation to their response times, unlike a bunch of manufacturers who put 1ms on their product sheets when in reality they're much slower when actually tested.

I tend to play Overwatch and CS:go which is why i was concerned

I've seen them irl the colours are horrid.

In that case then you're probably better off with something slightly faster, though you wont get much farther than that on an IPS monitor. If you don't care about the image quality then there is a fuckton of TN screens that are faster.

>I want the best colors and picture
>what do I want?

If you work in a color-critical field or are extremely autistic about color accuracy / uniformity / stability / hardware calibration ability, you need a ton of money and a high-end Eizo or Nec, like If you're a regular guy who wants good enough color accuracy/uniformity/stability and acceptable enough level of IPS bleeding, you need a considerable amount of money and a mid-range Eizo or Nec.

Literally everything else is cheap junk displaying random colors on a cheap low-bit-LUT panel, backlit by cheap W-LED with a fuckton of blue in the spectrum, driven by cheap low-frequency PWM, that's primarily designed for offices to display Excel tables on (even though some of it can be marketed to "gaymers", too). If thats's your case, go to a supermarket and pick something you think will look the coolest next to a bunch of anime figurines in a /bst/ photo.

>Literally everything else is cheap junk displaying random colors on a cheap low-bit-LUT panel
Gee I didn't know Dell's 5k 10-bit panel was cheap junk displaying random colors

I was kind of hoping to get an ips for movies but I might get a tn if that's the case. How much better is a tn panel much worse than ips for image quality?

Thats pretty subjective. You should probably walk into some shop and compare those panels by yourself. I personally don't like TN panels because the colors always seem washed out to me and they look like they have this weird milky filter on top of the image.

I like you.

ur a fear-mongering idiot

OP, just know this:
OLED is a no go for Desktop-PCs because of the burn-in. So IPS it is. You might want to invest some money into a Colorimeter, which will be used to calibrate your monitor for more accuracy.
As you are aware IPS is the way to go. 1080p the most common resolution, and PWM flickering is actually not much of a thing in modern Monitors in 2017. Unless you get an older model You should still 'check' every monitors specs. of course. Also you may want true 8-bit panels.
But it's a bad idea to ask for advice here. Go and read some indepth reviews to get an actual picture of how you determine a good monitor. tftcentralfor example is a good way to boot.

For movies IPS and TN are equally bad. VA is the only acceptable type of LCD for movies, which is why all high-end LCD TVs are VA.

I think IPS 4k freesync for now.

Fuck IPS. I had IPS and TN and didn't see any advantage. You'll 'enjoy' horrible bleeding.

Also, what is your budget, do you gayme, work, which graphics card?

>I had IPS and TN and didn't see any advantage
Well, even blind people can tell so I don't know what the fuck kinda IPS monitor you had really.

You're either blind or fucking lying. Even in shitty internet pics you can see the difference.

It was a LG IPS237L.

trying to justfy hes shitty tn gaming monitor

>invest some money into a Colorimeter, which will be used to calibrate your monitor
I hate to be "fear-mongering" again, but 99% of low-to-upper-mid range LCD displays are impossible to calibrate accurately because they have shit linearity and don't have writeable LUT. Calibration only makes sense at the hardware level, and fucking with the signal being sent by the graphics card to the monitor's shit driving circuit in an attempt to correct its inherent shittiness will always be futile.

anyone tried buying a 4k monitor and running it at 1440p?

good tn and meh ips are about the same now, at least new.

in the pic you posted, the tn honestly looks better with the ips being oversaturated to the point its killing detail on the mountain.

granted, you want the highest of high end ips, it kicks the shit out of tn for color, but not at a moderate (500$ or less) price point.

Ok, here are my thoughts

1) all monitors fucking blow cock, there is not a single consumer oriented monitor worth the money, so if this is your budget, you are fucked.

2) till you start getting over 70% adobe rgb, the difference between tn and ips are negligible and largely fixable with a proper calibration.

3) the biggest factor in how good a monitor looks is contrast, you could have a 6 year old tn shit color, but if the contrast was good the panel would look better then a top end ips, and in this regard, oled and va are the best.

4) now, between the two oled kicks the shit out of everything, but has burn in issues that have yet to be solved, and a possible issue with longevity due to blue leds dying faster than the others, not sure if that got fixed yet.

5) va while having the best contrast outside of oled, with a typical monitor getting 4000:1 while a good tn or ips is 800:1 - 1200:1, it has as bad and in some cases worse viewing angles then tn does.

6)as for pixel density, 80-120 is the area you want to hit, anything more requires scaling to read normally, it's up to you if you want screen real estate or if you want sharper images, I personally go screen real estate.

assuming you want something consumer grade and not pro, I literally can't recommend monitors for computers, instead, tvs used as monitors. go to rtings.com and look up any tv with 4:4:4 chroma and no burn in. it will likely be bigger than 32 inches, but it will also likely be 4k

you are comparing a meh dell to the literal highest end monitors you can buy, yea, dell comes up shit in this case.

granted, that dell is probably the best monitor a prosumer would ever consider, but know its fucking place.

it's better than nothing and shy of spending what is it... their cheapest monitors last time I looked at it was 3000$, that alone is not what most people are willing to do.

ips came down in price, so did the quality.
goe are the days where if a monitor was an ips you knew shit was good, and hello to the new tn of quality control, shockingly enough, good tn can out do middle road ips.

there are literally no displays with less than 9ms of input lag.
displaylag.com/display-database/

every number on the fucking box is a lie outside of how much it weighs and sometimes how large the panel is, there are cases where companies in the past measured bezel along with screen to come up with numbers, so its hard to trust that anymore, there were also a few that said they were 1080p but the components inside only did 720 and upscaled.

going to a best buy, looking at the 20 monitors they had, it doesn't matter, ips, tn, va, all pc monitors fucking suck.

IPS, 24@1440p or 32@2160p
Personally have BenQ BL2420PT, it's fine and was the best option I could get locally for cheap, so not complaining at all

The 8ms refers to the gray to gray, not the input lag

It doesnt matter ips is better dont waste your time

ips is a trade off till you are spending a lot of money

static contrast is the only metric you should look at till you are spending over 400$ of its just a monitor, if you repurpose a tv, input lag is another thing to watch also

they bill themselves as input lag, and even if we just talk gtg, they still fucking lie, every time its independently tested it's almost always several hundred % higher

I'm going to buy a Samsung C27FG70 or 73 (samsung.com/us/business/products/computing/monitors/s/_/n-10 11 15pey2/) next week. I know that it's curved and 1080p but I would have to go bigger if I increased the resolution due to my shitty eyesight and I couldn't find a flat pre-calibrated VA with the same characteristics.

I was thinking about getting this monitor. 75 hz, ips, freesync.

pcpartpicker.com/product/Dnbkcf/lg-24mp59g-p-238-1920x1080-75hz-monitor-24mp59g-p

Stop, you're scaring the shillbros.

oled for computer monitors is bad juju they display way too many static images

I actually just ordered this but haven't got the rest of the parts of my PC to test it. Apparently it's not a true IPS display from reviews (uses dithering to get 8-bit colour) and no wall mount. Still it was the only thing that was "IPS", freesync and not curved so I went for it.