Web Hosting Thread

For those that run their own website, what's your hosting setup? Also, software is your website running?

Other urls found in this thread:

chiru.no
chiru.no/u/nginx.conf
chiru.no/u/nginx_quickstart.txt
chiru.no/a/phpsysinfo/
gitgud.io/chiru.no/chiru.no/
scaleway.com
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

bump for interest

Hetzner CX10 vServer (4$ / mo.), Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS minimal, 1GB RAM, 25 GB SSD, 1 Core - mainly because I need root access in order to install a LetsEncrypt certificate and that was the cheapest option. Using Cloudflare as a "free CDN" as far as the free plan allows me to.

Software - Apache, PHP, MySQL + Laravel and sendmail + postfix for sending E-Mail. It's as boring as it could be. I tried rolling my own PHP framework, but I trashed it very very quickly. Eventually I need to setup receiving mail, not sure about that software atm.

Deployment is currently a mess, I've just written down the steps I need to do in order to get it working. I just copy over the files to a testing URL that is hidden from the search engines, then test that stuff didn't break. I am leaning towards docker to make that part easier.

$5 VPS from Vultr which just runs a single docker container (the image has my 3 websites in it) + CloudFlare in front of it for TLS termination

self hosted apache running a single startpage and a because i have got zero use for it and just wantto terminate by many novelty domains to a single page
email with dovecot and postfix
owncloud with uselss junk hosted(tried to set up a pomf.se clole but dats some spaghetti code shit rite there)

$80/mo droplet

(OP)
chiru.no

chiru.no/u/nginx.conf
chiru.no/u/nginx_quickstart.txt
chiru.no/a/phpsysinfo/

ESXi server hosting an OpenBSD guest running OpenBSD's httpd. I don't run very complicated websites.

I've been meaning to try and learn how I could deploy a website, clustered, using docker however.

Current idea for that would be to have x amount of lightweight nodes (running coreos or rancheros) and a management node. Management Node runs the Docker Swarm and contains the ansible/salt configs, git repository.
Worker nodes get sent to a shell where git can get installed, Docker delivers the Nginx server, ansible/salt continue to enforce nginx configs and checkout the websites production branch. Everytime an update happens to the master branch, use a post-receive hook to make the workers run another git checkout.

I think my next project is going to be hosted on Vultr

I currently still have a shared hosting setup from about 8 years ago running two small sites on u2-web. The support is excellent, but shared hosting is lame. Plus, the entire setup is really outdated.

I have hosted a few sites and projects on AWS since. You can get a single instance for free for a year, which is perfect for getting people set up with a box. I've mostly run nginx and PHP on those.

shopify
i just make a new account whenever trial ends every 2 months, reupload everything, re connect my domain

amazon lightsail $5, lighttpd

Consider using a Deployment in k8s (or whatever the Swarm equivalent is) so you can roll to a new image instead of manually updating state inside the containers.

build image + push image to registry (can run your own, it's just a docker image) + tell orchestrator to roll deployment to new image -> old containers drained and new containers spawned

Deployment can also be scaled by just changing the number of replicas

looks like r/a/dio with some added stuff. i hope you have fun with this project user

Openvpn VPS server josted outside the US. Debain 9 2gb dedicated ram 80 gb ssd. $15 a month in bitcoin

Gitlab server debian 9 3gb ram 80 gb drive on digital ocean. $15 month

Vmware cluster that I run with all together 4 AMD 6 core processors, 64 gb of ram. 10 TB usable storage in a raid 10 array. 3 gpus that together pull around 600 k/h sec on hashcat.
On there i run a bunch of VMs for different things. Any websites i have nginx vms but im trying to make the move to docker
I dint pay for electricity so it costs me nothing to run. Initial investvment was around 3k

Any point in hosting your shit not at Google or Amazon?

Source here gitgud.io/chiru.no/chiru.no/

It's been up since 2014

price mostly

if you're not using any of their offerings (dns, load balancers, hosted databases, message delivery services, job queue stuff, etc.) you can definitely do better elsewhere price-wise

Not wanting the NSA having console access to your servers?

having control over your own box scaleway.com Get a dedicated server for 4eur/mo, you have no excuse

digital ocean droplet with ubuntu, nginx and postgres.

Scaleway is shit, there is no way to login securly to your server. You have to blindly trust your ssh fingerprint. This has been an issue for years and they haven't fix it yet.

Do not use it.