/pcbg/ PC Building General

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and _monitor_ suggestions; click on the blue title to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

If you want help:
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs:
>NO i5 7500/7600K or i7 7700/K. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY COFFEE LAKE
>A8 9600 for non-gaming (light tasks) or bare minimum gaming builds WITHOUT a dedicated graphics card
>G4560/G4600 for non-gaming (light tasks) or bare minimum gaming builds WITH a dedicated graphics card
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (best with OC + fast RAM)
>R5 1600 / i5 8400 - Great gaming or multithreaded use CPUs
>R7 / Used Xeon / Threadripper - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Mixed use

RAM:
>Current CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000-3200 MHz is ideal
>Before buying RAM for Ryzen, check your Mobo's QVL or look for user reports

Graphics cards:
>Consider Vega 56 for a Freesync monitor
>Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon)
1080p
>GTX 1050Ti and 3GB 1060 are the only reasonably priced cards; 6GB 1060 or 4GB 580 if you want to overpay a little
>GTX 1070 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070/Ti and 1080 are standard choices; currently overpriced
>GTX 1080Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
2160p (4K)
>GTX 1080Ti

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 240GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor

Previous:

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/vCxw9W
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/c9jw9W
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231941
amazon.com/dp/B06XF3R469/?tag=pcpapi-20
pcpartpicker.com/user/luckydude4/saved/NkYRGX
gamersnexus.net/game-bench/1949-witcher-3-texture-quality-comparison-vram-and-fps
amazon.com/MSI-X370-GAMING-PRO-CARBON/dp/B06XQ5V3R4?th=1
pcpartpicker.com/list/4W8pyf
youtu.be/aqd81Vt81CA
twitter.com/AnonBabble

what are the best deals everyone's got so far?

i got a $60 seasonic full mod 750w gold psu

>
>
>There are these "class a replicas" of Xbox controllers. Have you guys tried any of these? Are they good for their price or should I go all in on the original microsoft ones. Any notable differences between the two? Plug n play, durability etc.

Need a good 4k monitor $500ish price point. Also how shit is Linux at 4k?

Ryzen 1800X for $300

>tfw 30" 2560x1600 monitor

is g-sync worth it? fuck me these monitors are expensive

Is an RX 560 4GB for $80 a good deal?

tiny tiny text for ants

what is the best price/performance B350 AM4 motherboard for Ryzen 1600?

i'm torn between the ASrock Pro4 and ASUS ROG STRIX B350-F

wch 1 should i get? $ is in canadian

Quick question. I have a Ryzen 1600 system, when I go to my motherboards (B350 Tomahawk) driver update page the last chipset update for my CPU was version 17.10.3401 released back in august but, on the AMD website they have version 17.30 that was released earlier in november. Does this mean my motherboard doesn't support this chipset yet? What would happen if I downloaded it?

even at 27" or 32"? I mean tiny text is kind of a good thing, you can always bump up scaling but you can't get more pixels out of a display.

does ram HAVE to be on my mother boards qvl?

First time builder, feel free to call me stupid but I'm failing to get a Post, is anything here incorrect? Power supply is going but nothing else is.

No, it's just guaranteed to work if it's on the qvl. My ram isn't on my mobos qvl and hits 2933mhz just fine

4k@27" is about 160dpi
4k@32" is about 135dpi

Maybe my eyes can't cope with strain as much as yours, but those kinds of pixel densities don't sound fun if using a program that doesn't support fractional scaling properly (e.g. Firefox).

I got roughly 2k to spend and my laptop has reached the point where its slowly falling apart. I've been spending a large amount of time in the past month researching and annoying my friends with questions, and this is the build I have so far (only for the purpose of gaming):

pcpartpicker.com/list/vCxw9W

What do you guys think?

What does this
actually come down to? If I have a 3GB card I always have to have textures turned way down or off? Wouldn't that make my games just look like complete shit?

well im aiming for at least 3200mhz it shows certain ram as being 3200mhz on the qvl but it's not b-die
will it still reach 3200mhz?

Both are good.

why do nvidiots always have horrible cable management

bump

reason I want AMD is for open and good linux drivers

Not worrying to much about it atm when I'm trying to get my first computer build to post.

>STRIX B350-F

can someone respond before all the sales end pls

It's a gamble, my dude. What ram and what motherboard?

Can I get some opinions on this?
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/c9jw9W

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231941
amazon.com/dp/B06XF3R469/?tag=pcpapi-20

is that the correct slot for RAM? check the manual, if you've only got 1 stick it should go in A1

I'd look for what gamepads people are using. I bought a fake ps3 remote and plugged it in. Got ps3 .dlls software whatever and installed Xbox to ps3 recognition or something. Now I don't even have to open x360ce shit or those other emus. I just plug it in and my computer recognises it as a Xbox remote. There is more than one way to get your gamepad working check other alternatives before wasting your money

How's my super cool build look right now? Just went down to Microcenter to swap out some parts. pcpartpicker.com/user/luckydude4/saved/NkYRGX

You can't get a 1050ti?
Is and just try get a 560
Though you'll beable to play games on low settings or medium for low demanding games

Just buy an Xbone controller

Anyone have experience buying and more importantly selling used PC parts? After a few upgrades I have a lot of stuff I could sell used

>Liquid cooling
Enjoy your paperweight

The Rog because its suppose to be more expensive

eBay or Craiglist
If eBay invest in static free pink wrapping paper to prevent someone trying to cheat you

I appreciate the suggestion, but I've already looked into the 1050ti and I haven't seen one for anywhere near $80. Also I don't want the hassle of dealing with Nvidia drivers on GNU/Linux.

move ram to first slot

>static free pink wrapping paper to prevent someone trying to cheat you
Elaborate?

I've used CL before but not ebay, although not for selling PC parts.

I bought a 144 hz monitor but it seems like I still see screen tearing..

MSI B350 PC MATE or ASRock AB350 Pro4?

Your suppose to update yourself. If there is nothing wrong don't bother updating unless they claim better performance
You probably won't find a 560 near $80 either but it is a better investment for budget. But what are you even doing? LoL?

Turn on your FPS counter, is it going above 144hz?

>You probably won't find a 560 near $80 either
Was just going to post the one I was looking at and the price has gone back up to $110. Damn. Guess I'll look into a 1050ti (I'm assuming the 550 is garbage?) I'm not doing anything really graphically intense, just RPGs like PoE.

Please help. I can't decide on 3GB or 6GB for my PC and GPU is one of the last parts I need to buy to start building.

Obviously the 3GB 1060 is quite a bit cheaper and that's a big plus. But at the same time I would hate myself if I took that route and cut costs now only to find out I'm struggling to run something that maybe wouldn't be an issue with the 6GB.

I'm too noob at computers and GPUs to really know the best choice.

I7-7700k is already outdated. Go for the new 8000 series. The i5-8400 is wonder $200 and is as powerful as the 7700 even if its a locked cpu

6GB is the best choice. You'll be pretty gimped with only 3GB vram.

pro4

The latter because it has a decent heatsink. You have one less VRM phase but one more choke per phase, so they're quite efficient.

what did they mean by this

Thanks

>everyone's got so far?
the ones before the holiday sale.

The Asus one is actually a lot better in terms of power delivery. Go for that one.

Looking to upgrade my MB and CPU for more robust 3D work, particularly in sculpting and physics sims.

Currently have:
Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3V Motherboard
Intel i5-3450 CPU
Asus Strix 1060 6gb

I know people here like Ryzen, but people IRL tell me i7 is what I should be looking at.

Also, MB has to be an mATX.

Budget: around $450 USD.

Any suggestions?

>falling for the STRIX meme
MSI's x370 gaming plus mobo is literally $30 cheaper than those

No, I do go over 150 sometime buts only when I’m doing nothing in overwatch

It's not a meme. IIRC It's the only B350 mobo that has x370-tier VRMs. If you can find the one you mentioned for $30 less I'd go for it though.

Most games don't use 3gb of textures. But they're moving on to it. As I said before the 6gb card won't be able to utilize it because it doesn't have the power for very high settings which is what requires higher vram usage. GTA V uses 5gb vram for ultra high settings. Which I think the 1060 won't be able to handle anyways because it doesn't have the strength regardless of vram. Whereas if you put the settings on high the vram usage will drop.
I'm playing some AAA titles now on my gtx650 1gb and the textures are fine. Just shit performance cause I'm playing on lowest settings(everything off). Look up game texture differences its not really a big change(shit won't turn blocky)

Then you shouldn't be getting screen tearing since your FPS will never go above what your screen can physically display.

>450
you're not going to be able to do much with a upgrade, especially with how ddr4 prices are
try around 600 for a board+cpu+ram upgrade

Overwatch uses 1.5gb of vram and it isn't the most demanding game...

gamersnexus.net/game-bench/1949-witcher-3-texture-quality-comparison-vram-and-fps

> It's the only B350 mobo that has x370-tier VRMs
amazon.com/MSI-X370-GAMING-PRO-CARBON/dp/B06XQ5V3R4?th=1
It can be had for $113

That's right. I'm running my RX 480 8GB at 1440p and struggling to go past 4GB even in heavier scenarios such as modded games with unoptimized textures.

newbie here , can anyone id these graphics cards for me pls

>browsing tech forums
>someone asks for a build
>user replies with this
pcpartpicker.com/list/4W8pyf

my god people are retarded

it helped lower the motherboard socket temps

they look like radeons to me user

>building a new and improved PC
>have the 1060 as my card because its supposed to be really good for the price
>it can't even run GTA V on ultra high settings, a game that came out well over a year ago
did I fuck up by going with the 1060? I was hoping I could at least play current year games on highest settings with 60+ fps at 1080p

I believe that's a board for second-gen Intel processors. Find Radeon cards with two power slots from around that time.

gtx 1070

what mobo?

Overwatch has got a lot of shit going on. Your talking about high settings right? Cause I think that's pretty much the same with a lot of games. I mean there are textural elements after all.
Its not demanding in terms of performance.
Performance =/= textures
That's what I'm saying
Listen to this guys own experience.

I think as textures settings go up it practically doubles or triples in vram usage from low to high because they just keep throwing in more polygons and you end up with like 4 or higher times more polygons per pixel or something.
I hope you understand me I'm not good at explaining or have the exact details but that's pretty much what's happening

What sort of graphics card will I need to run NWN: Enhanced Edition?

GTAV came out in 2013. A 1060 should run it on ultra no problem

nothing wrong with it

but why tho

Whoever told you that mislead you. The 1060 at most will play current titles at high. And that'll drop to medium if things keep progress like they have in the last year to medium settings in 2 years time.
But remember that a lot of the games are made to play on consoles which are really weak and at the same time the majority of people if you look at steam have 1060 and lower(something like 70% conservatively) if they make games that can't handle that they're basically cutting out the majority of their market. They're out to make money not games targeted at high-end users. High-end users only really get better texture where albeit are noticeable and sometimes barely it doesn't really take away anything from the gaming experience.

Spending $60 on low profile cards are really worth it to you huh? You can go onto craigslist and find shit x3 better for that price.

so how many current games and games coming out in the next few years would I straight up be unable to run at all if I got the 3GB 1060 as opposed to the 6GB? That's basically what I'm afraid of here; I don't want my friends to tell me about some awesome new game that came out only to buy/dl it and find out "well shit, the brand new PC I built can't actually run it"

>Non-overclockable board
>8GB of some trash overpriced RAM
>1TB HDD
>1030 when the 1050 and ti absolutely destroy it
>$20 case
>Shitty PSU
At that point you may as well steal a PC

I would have purchased one of EK's aluminum kits instead. I think you can get a CPU and GPU custom loop for $180 or so. Much better than AIOs.

Will it last long and be worth its price tag if I'm not retarded?
The only ones available at a decent price are Xbox 360, ps4, red dragon gamepads. I have yet to see the price on an xbone controller as store websites here aren't exactly useful.

How'd I do?

>two radiators in mATX
I can smell the VRMs frying already

youtu.be/aqd81Vt81CA
Not 60+ fps but it looks alright.

That wouldn't have been true for the majority of motherboards but this one can indeed get pretty toasty. I'd recommend zip tying a fan on the VRMs and keep it at very low RPMs.

Just put it on High then

Looking at new build for next year. 1080p for high/ultra gaming and working. RX580's go for around $350-$380AU on the slightly used market. What can I tweak?

Well I tried that but not even my power supply won't turn on, I tested it with a paper clip and it still works but doesn't do anything when I hook it up to the motherboard and try to boot

did you try CLR CMOS

Should I get 1TB internal drive for $878 mexicoins
Or 1TB external USB 3.0 drive for $1076?

Which one would be better?
I only have a 120 SSD and 500GB HDD

I've already ordered a few of the parts for a new build I've been planning out and now some of this talk about the 1060 in the thread is pretty worrying.

The current rig I have (its almost a decade old) can already run a lot of the current games I play on high-ish settings (I don't really know how demanding they are settings wise, but its shit like overwatch/dota2/wow/pubg). Some of the more demanding games I've had to turn things down to medium and some areas even lower to get a playable fps, but it depends on the game. So now I upgrade to this new one I've been planning (ryzen 1600, gtx 1060) and the word in this thread is its still just a "run current games on high" setup. The new build is penciled in at about 1200 dollars and I was hoping it would be able to get me by for the next several years with good framerates and performance but its sounding like I'm basically getting almost no increase in overall PC quality at all?

I literally thought my current PC was on its way out and was hoping this new one would take its place. Did I just colossally fuck up with my new build? I'm panicking like I just flushed $1000+ down the toilet

I know it sounds stupid but did you flick the switch on the back on your power supply?

I'm and I run just about everything on ultra 60+fps no problem...

internal drive is better unless you somehow need to move 1tb of shit between computers

feel like I've forgotten something really important

Looks good. You getting the 1060 because of budget? The 1070 will last you longer and has better performance. Though its like a $200 increase I think
You don't have China shops in your area?
The 550 isn't garbage(though it kind of is) but its suitable for what you wanna do. Though just getting a 1050ti wouldn't hurt. You never know when your gonna wanna try out a game from current year and down for fun. You'll be able to jam low-med settings with one. And play at high on your RPGs and such.

Yep
Didn't know about this trying it out now