Recently, I watched the "Making a murderer" documentary. And today...

Recently, I watched the "Making a murderer" documentary. And today, i saw Louis Theroux's documentary on some prison in Frorida that mostly functioned as some sort of temporary placement facility for people that were awaiting trial. Some people had been locked up for years in maximum security facilities for years without a trial.

Seriously, what the fuck.
Have the legal system always been this broken in the US, or is this a more recent development? Is the situation different from state to state?
I have never seen, or heard about conditions like these anywhere else in the western world. So I'm genuinly curious.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=z8A85cl5w3s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Some people had been locked up for years in maximum security facilities for years without a trial.
Thats just silly, did you even proof read this?

If you cant po$t bond, you stay in jail awaiting trial. That simple.

This netflix series is so addictive I watched all season in like a one or two days. But it really hurts that they didn't say in this programm about some strong evidence that police had against him.

>all
*whole

France and Italy had a similar scandal a decade ago

>watching Louis Theroux
i wish there were more shows like it desu

>i saw Louis Theroux's documentary on some prison in Frorida
was he a real nigga?

>'not in muh state'

It really varies state to state.
Southern and rural states tend towards very punitive penal and justice systems as opposed to a control and reformatory philosophy. This isn't a new "liberal" invention, this is based largely off of the viewpoints of the dominant religious denomination in an area and only in the past 40 years has it been more influenced by social engineering type of thinking.

To be fair states are almost like different countries

Are they user? Are they?

Ehh it's not but a better statement would be "states are really disjointed in many ways one which is law."

The rapes are easily the worst part of yank prisons.

Damn I remember a few years back me and my housemates used to say that shit all the time after watching the documentary together

youtube.com/watch?v=z8A85cl5w3s

Some people deserve it though don't you think

Hood niggas did it

>tfw no friends to watch tv kino with

it's always the afghans

>it's a tommy is lonely episode

There's something strange about that part of the world

>it's a Montae cleans his gf's kitchen while she gets fucked by six men episode

I couldn't watch more than 15 minutes of that. It was too depressing, that midwestern shithole it took place (Wisconsin?). The people were all so fat even by US standards, they brought up animal abuse and nobody was likeable. It's a tragedy of western history that so many Germans in the 19th century got tricked into migrating to the midwest and have rotten away since then there. Probably the worst migration decision to make, aside from maybe those that went to Brazil.

Anyways, some parts of the US have low crime and the prisons are small and quaint. Then you have areas like the southwest and deep south where crime is 10x higher, and gigantic prisons packed with violent offenders. There's one in Louisiana, one of the most crime-ridden states, called Angola that's basically a de facto slave plantation since it's like all black prisoners and they do work outside or prisoner workshops in the heat.

People idolize California as a hip place but the prisons there are some of the worst. Some are run by the Mexican Mafia who can order a hit on you if you look at them wrong. Overcrowded, overwhelmed, no emphasis on liberal rehabilitation policies (although many prisoners maybe can't be rehabilitated)

So yeah, aside from states that border Canada prisons in the US can be awful, and many of the bigger ones don't focus on rehabilitation. Maybe it's a moral failing, maybe they're overwhelmed and underbudget, but it's proven that rehabilitation lowers re-offending rate

tl;dr yes prisons in the US are bad

>Have the legal system always been this broken in the US, or is this a more recent development?

No, drug war caused massive increase in prison population

> Is the situation different from state to state?

Yes, very, but not really their fault, some states have huge populations and organized crime presence.

Which evidence?
Also
>trusting the Manitowoc county police to not plant evidence
Wew lad

Why can't more Americans be more like you?

I'm just going by what I see in documentaries. It's probably not that bad irl compared to a lot of countries. The area's improved a lot since it was filmed in the 80's.

>says the country with 5 star hotel "prisons" where mass murderers get 22 years and goes on hunger strike for ps3

So who was the actual killer, again? The victim's crazy brother?

I think we can all agree there can be a balance between being too lax and going full retard with sentencing like in some US states.

do they allow him to play overwatch?

They still don't know. He's been pardoned though afaik. They're doing way more of that now under Obama, which I think is a good step.

you will find more info on the internet about his case

He was? Damn I didn't know.

Only knew that his nephew was cleared of his conviction by a federal judge because of the way his "confession" was conducted.

I suppose I should look it up, I figure the documentary (only watched 3 episodes) had already made up my mind about what happened, but it can't hurt to see more points of view.

I still think he did it, but the police also tampered with the evidence probably because they didn't have enough to convict him.

Why can't more mexicans be like you?

It's actually not that bad
It's just youre only going to hear about the worst cases because that's what makes the most money and has the most sway on the public
You gotta understand everything that you hear from and that gets popularized in America has been made with several layers of propaganda

People are easily swayed by this propaganda and some people can't even notice it
Documentaries are just another tool that packs more punch because it has some truth laced into it

Colleges aren't as crazy sjw as you'd think and the police dont have it out for blacks

>nothing bad going on goy, keep voting Dem/Rep, watching sports and eating high fructose corn syrup