Free game streaming for macfags

Dunno if this is news to anyone here, but if you have a Mac "Nvidia Geforce NOW" is currently totally free (in beta). You can stream anything on Steam at ultra-max-whatever settings. It's quite impressive: works very well even over 2.5ghz with a shitty cable connection to my Macbook. Even works perfectly/automatically with a bluetooth gamepad.

Personally I don't game (had to install some demos on Steam to have something to try it with), but not having to own a gaming PC would make me consider taking it up.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YtC1BsoADPE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Are there any "casual" games with wow graphics to try? (I hate anything where I can die / that requires quick reaction)

It's a bit like owning a 2027 Macbook Pro. Doesn't even heat up ;)

Why not use obs?

Obs?

You misunderstand.
This is not for someone to livestream their gaming session.
This is for games to be streamed to the macbook.

Is it that hard to google it.

Oh, thats interesting.

doesn't steam already have that feature?

Streaming is stupid shit. Why wouldn’t I just use the hardware that is providing the stream?

It's running the game on a Nvidia run server and streaming it to your PC.

>Spend $2000+ on a laptop
>need to pay to access someone else's virtual server just to play games you don't own to begin with
Are macfags getting cucked more and more every year?

It's pretty nuts. Nvidia is basically gifting everyone a super-high-end Windows gaming PC with super fast internet (~50mb/s).

There's probably a way to exploit this for ill if someone wanted; it seems it'll launch anything on the system so long as its initiated through Steam (haven't tried the Battlenet or whatever thing), although the internet is filtered (e.g. Sup Forums is blocked)

Because you don't own a powerful Nvidia server? If you have a powerful PC there isn't a need for this but for someone with just a laptop this is great.

I know fuck all about Windows, to know how easily explotable this is. The 'start menu' seems to be empty on the virtual pc.

For now this is free, and it'll work just as well on a $400 old Mac Mini (probably requires H264 hardware decode, not sure if it'd take advantage of 265 on newer Macs)

>streaming games you don't own from a virtual server you don't own and don't have to pay for (((for now)))

Assuming you have fast, unlimited internet, this sorta thing would make a lot of sense at the right price.

A gaming PC or console isn't free.

p.s. is it possible to buy/sell old games to other users on steam?

Is this OnLive 2: Electric Boogaloo?

The compression makes it look worse than it looks on my "high" settings with no anti aliasing, so no thanks.

Also latency. Small, but noticable.

>fast, unlimited internet
Isn't this streaming thing in US only?
It is not possible to buy or sell your old played games on steam.

I'm in Canada and it works.

It must have been some other thing I was getting them mixed up with. Or maybe it's North America only?

Hmm. Very interesting indeed. I'll check it out.

OP's screen shots seem nice. Can you share yours?

The hardware on Nvidia's end seems effectively unlimited; it just comes down to your internet connection.

...currently installing this 'Division' demo. I'd absolutely pay for this service if I could install pirated games to their systems.

It doesn't support 'retina' displays, i.e. on my 2560 x 1600 it's running and streaming at 1280 x 800 on the Nvidia PC. Dunno if there's a workaround for that, if your bandwidth can take it.

FUUUU... it even runs on my crappy 2012 MBP. Installing ARK...

I need to find something pretty and short and cheap to blaze though while this is still free (wouldn’t count on it lasting).

>macbabby literally has to stream footage of another computer playing video games to mimic a computer with good hardware
>i don't game

sides ejected

Admit it, you're salty that Macfags can now play the same games without all muh built.

yes, its good you can now play any game even on Apple Macintosh hardware
>as long as you've got a PC to stream the actul gameplay from

Well it's not my PC so I don't care.

Well it work also if you have a shitty PC. So no more excuses not to buy a Mac.

I think he's saying that the opinion of someone, who doesn't play video games, on a videogame service/technology is laughable because they don't know what they are talking about.

Frame rates is all that matters.

You can have the best of all worlds.

A Mac, with its slick interface and portable, battery-effecient hardware for regular internet / productivity / media consumption stuff, and yet still game on it with top-tier graphics when the mood strikes.

If anything this makes gaming PCs redundant (not sure how the wide adoption of this would benefit Nvidia at all).

This is Nvidia's PCs.

If you're the type who actually cares about your screen latency and auto twitch-shooter autism then this isn't for you (and you don't own a Mac anyway), but for normal people who just want to play Tomb Raider with all the fancy hair effects it's great.

Thanks, I'm glad your valuable and definitely not shilled response has convinced me to go out and buy a mac!

I'm honestly slightly skeptical about this, if I might. Admittedly, not a gamer, but from a technical viewpoint, don't see how you can get near actual framerate / no lag with streaming, or, I'd be surprised. Very surprised, but, await reports, etc.
yeah, thought I'd said that..

Install it and try. It's free, for now at least.

T. Nvidia employee

yeah, honestly not a gamer but, be wasted on me, I wouldn't really notice if laggy, etc. compared to 'normal' - was more interested for a video application, but I'd doubt nvidia would be, particuarly..

Heard about it here: youtube.com/watch?v=YtC1BsoADPE

Apparently it's been up for a month now (video is a month old).

Could I stream Dota on my 2011 tho?

Doesn't DotA run on Linux though? It should work on Mac too

How easy is it to get an app added to Steam?

A GPU-accelerated crypto miner would be perfect for this.