Slackware Love Thread

Can we have a thread about the most rock solid fucking legend in the GNU/Linux world? I've heard some quick to call Slackware a meme distro, but I've been using it for about 5 years now, and I never looked back. It's one of the last of it's kind. In a day where every distro tries to maintain their own configs of every package to the point where it's unmaintainable, overly-intrusive measures like SystemD make the system much more complex than it needs to be, and every major distro hops onto bandwagons before crashing and burning, it's a nice breath of fresh air to return to a simpler time, but with a modern kernel and all the modern conventions you would need.

You boot up an ncurses installer, flip a few keystrokes, and you boot right into a comfy command prompt with cute little penguins to greet you. After installing a few basic packages you might need that by some miracle aren't included with your system, you get to enjoy an experience more stable than the Rock of Gibraltar. Sure, you might have some dated packages, but you can upgrade the ones you need the most with the package manager. While not having automatic dependency resolution may seem scary at first, it's truly a blessing instead of a curse when you get the hang of it. Slackware is everything I've ever wanted out of a *nix: a functional, well supported system that requires little maintenance, and follows the UNIX philosophy enough to where it trusts the user to take the wheel without sinking the ship.

Praise be to Bob, and may all of you attain a true state of Slack!

Other urls found in this thread:

porteus.org/).
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Patrick should drop KDE at this point, it along with bluez made pulseaudio mandatory and why I avoid slackware right now.

You don't have to install the KDE package set. There's not really anything inconvenient to not have those packages. Pulseaudio is kind of mandatory at this point, which is unfortunate, but if you don't like it you can uninstall it and default to ALSA with a few keystrokes.

install gentoo

>look at the website
The design is decades old and everything looks poor as fuck.
>look at the download options
It's all in optical disks (Who even still uses optical disks?), and it barely supports a few architectures, while other distros support around 15.
>look at the main points of it
>doesn't depend on any corporation
>it's as upstream as it gets
>user base and documentation
Realize that Debian is better in all of them, plus it has all the advantages of having an installer that isn't 20 years old, and a lot of features that offer convenience.

Daily reminder that there is no reason at all to become a slacuck, when you could just be using Debian instead. Daily reminder that there are only 3 GNU/Linux distros that matter: Debian, Fedora, and Ubuntu; in that order. Daily reminder that all other distros are for people who need to feel special. Daily reminder that corporations such as Microsoft and Apple are paying for these threads so they can keep the GNU/Linux community fragmented. Daily reminder to drop techpills on all shill threads like this one.

>Realize that Debian is better in all of them, plus it has all the advantages of having an installer that isn't 20 years old, and a lot of features that offer convenience.
Debian's text installer is 10x easier to use hilariously. Also, Debian requires a lot more effort on initial setup for my workflow.
>Daily reminder that all other distros are for people who need to feel special
Sounds like projection to me.
>Daily reminder that corporations such as Microsoft and Apple are paying for these threads so they can keep the GNU/Linux community fragmented. Daily reminder to drop techpills on all shill threads like this one.
You sound like you should be using GNU+TinfoilHat

I don't even have a problem with Debian outside of shit like SystemD, but you should really use a distro before you shit on it (you honestly sound like an Arch Linux user.)

Ah, you're the butthurt debnigger from the last thread, still butthurt you can't use a intermediate level distro?

>Debian has a code of conduct while slackware doesn't
really makes you think

>Debian requires a lot more effort on initial setup for my workflow.
Because you install your OS daily, right? Great point friend!
>Sounds like projection to me.
Right. That's why everyone knows what Debian is, but barely anyone has even heard of cuckware, despite it being as old. There must be a vast slandering campaign, it's not because it's shit or anything...
>You sound like you should be using GNU+TinfoilHat
Nice ad hominem faggot. A satoshi has been transfered (during the next 20 hours) to your wallet. Don't spend (you can't anyway) it all in one place (you can't cash out either).
>SystemD
Explain what's wrong with systemd. You can't. You're just repeating what you heard other people say.
>you honestly sound like an Arch Linux user, says the slacuck
KEK Even arch has better reputation than cuckware, because they at least have good documentation.
>using a piece of shit that offers no convenience means that you're savvy and cool and shit
Or you could stop being a literal child and understand that there are only 3 distros, and that everything else is for wannabe snowflakes.
Almost as if rules and society were a bad thing... I'm thinking so hard about it right now... WHAT THE FUCK!? MY SKIN IS TURNING BLACK!

There's only 3 desktop distros worth anything, that's Suse, Fedora and Slack.

Rest are garbage.

Get a load of this goy working hard to defend SJWbian

Slacker from the mid 90s here. I lost interest when I got a job and had kids. Putting things just right is still zen to me, but I don't have the time anymore. Home desktop for the family runs Ubuntu LTS because it just works and they can grok it without any fuss.

>using the word cuck, multiple times
>defends SJW garbage
>defends systemd
>"my inconvenience is not really a inconvenience but yours is!"

We got a special one here.

>muh cuck!
>shekel deposit meemee
>it's shit because I say so!
>Or you could stop being a literal child and understand that there are only 3 distros, and that everything else is for wannabe snowflakes.
You do realize that this statement defeats the whole purpose of a decentralized OS community, right? What part of the four essential freedoms did you miss? People using less popular distros isn't going to "fragment" the community, because these people are still using the Linux kernel and contributing new software for it.
>KEK Even arch has better reputation than cuckware, because they at least have good documentation.
Good documentation is the only good thing Arch has going for it. Slackware has excellent documentation as well, including an entire book of documentation that is updated with every new release.
This. I don't think Debian is bad either spare it's godawful fucking package manager, but this other guy is a huge faggot.
studying CompSci in college right now. Slack comes with all the programming tools you would ever need out of the box which is very nice.

>only 3, Debian, Fedora, and Ubuntu
Wrong. If we're gonna limit to three, Ubuntu should not be a part of this. It is a derivative of Debian, and included Amazon botnet. It doesn't deserve to be a part of this arbitrary rule of three that you came up with and we are discussing because reasons.
Pick three top-level distros.

>when your argument is to literally take the argument against you and just reverse the places without providing any additional input
Ask yourself in all honesty if this perhaps could mean that you can't make a sensible argument to support cuckware, and if maybe, despite your personal shit-eater bias, it is indeed a vastly inferior distro.
>using the word cuck, multiple times
I like how you ignored all the arguments and just attacked the word that triggers you.
>defends SJW garbage
Explain us what's even fundamentally wrong with SJW ideas. Are you even denying that fomenting gender equality an racial equality like Debian does is a bad thing?
>defends systemd
I'm still waiting to hear what's wrong with systemd
>"my inconvenience is not really a inconvenience but yours is!"
Who are you quoting newfriend? Perhaps you were so desperate for an argument that you had to make up some words?
>it's shit because I say so!
No, I already explained throughly why it's a horrible distro, but you conveniently ignored it.
>Ubuntu should not be a part of this. It is a derivative of Debian
So what? It's the most convenient distro OOTB, and the one with the widest support for commercial software. Ubuntu is a great distro in itself.
>because reasons
Nice reasons fag, you sured explained it.
>Pick three top-level distros.
No. Why? There are no other top distros besides Debian and Fedora that deserve to be considered. Nothing else is mature enough to be used by all kinds of people in all environments.

There's no argument you fucking tumblrina otherkin sandnigger, the only thing you're doing is spewing filth and we're just following along.

Ubuntu is garbage, by the way.

This. But I gave in to the wife and kids and we got a *shudder* Windows desktop.

Whatever cuck.Since you're unable to provide any actual argument I will stop validating your shit distro and leave the thread. Then it will softly fade into irrelevance, because the only reason people even come into these threads is to laugh at how shit cuckware is and how you get rekd when you try to make it look good.

>Explain us what's even fundamentally wrong with SJW ideas. Are you even denying that fomenting gender equality an racial equality like Debian does is a bad thing?
In an egalitarian society, that is the ideal end goal. However, you're conflating a virtuous idea with a despicable practice the radical left uses now to discriminate against straight white men.
> it is indeed a vastly inferior distro.
Please enlighten me as to why. All you've done is shit-fling.
>I'm still waiting to hear what's wrong with systemd
It goes against the UNIX philosophy and makes basic system tasks more complex. If you like SystemD, that's fine, and I've even accepted it's the inevitable future, but for anyone looking for a UNIX style system it's not a good option and I won't use if if I don't have to.
>No, I already explained throughly why it's a horrible distro, but you conveniently ignored it.
All you said was it wasn't popular and called me a shill. From a pragmatic and structural perspective, what is wrong with it as an operating system?
>So what? It's the most convenient distro OOTB, and the one with the widest support for commercial software. Ubuntu is a great distro in itself.
No it's not. I'd argue Debian itself is less of a pain in the ass then Ubuntu.
>Nothing else is mature enough to be used by all kinds of people in all environments.
Not every distro is meant to be general purpose. I bet you're onw of those hipsters that tries to get your fucking parents to use GANOO+Linucks instead of focusing on what works well for you.

To be quaint, you're being a fucking asshole in a thread that doesn't interest you, and you're probably an insufferable cunt in real life.
>This. But I gave in to the wife and kids and we got a *shudder* Windows desktop.
Use what works for you user. I love free software to death but people should use whatever software and operating system they want.
You say people as if there is plural people autistic enough to raid this thread

Thank you for your valuable time, do you do any birthday party tricks?

He seems like the type who can play the skin flute. I bet he's really good.

I've been wondering what to do for entertainment for a certain birthday, and this guy just falls into my lap.

I love that Slackware-based distro Porteus (porteus.org/). Best portable distro out there. For at-home use I stick with Ubuntu though.

>egalitarian
my question for you both is whether human nature allows for an egalitarian society, or if its a pipe dream, like the communist utopia?

Slackware is God tier for servers because it offers such complete control over your system, but it's just too inconvenient for me to daily drive.

I've been using slack for uni and as my first GNU/Linux daily drive for my shit-top. The only problem I've been having it that when I try to install GHC and launch, bash produces this error of some file not found. Also having to sudo for pdflatex is a pain, but that's probably from texlive

>Daily reminder that there are only 3 GNU/Linux distros that matter: Debian, Fedora, and Ubuntu; in that order
I can understand Fedora and Debian, but why Ubuntu? Ubuntu is the hipster's OS, it makes people feel unique like "Hey I installed Ubuntu Linux! I'm such a nerd!" and its name is an ancient African word. Ubuntu serves no other purpose than to try to bring Linux to normies, although I wouldn't be surprised if they announced their own OS and attempted to replace Linux entirely.

>my question for you both is whether human nature allows for an egalitarian society, or if its a pipe dream, like the communist utopia?
You have to look for the good parts of egalitarianism. It's true that we are not all equal, and there are even inequalities inside homogenous races. The basic idea is to give everyone the same liberties as one another and let natural selection do it's job from there.
A utopia is a delusion. It's something that is never attainable, for humanity has always been, and always will be an element of pure chaos. Multiracial societies can exist, and have existed before successfully. Multicultural societies however, have not. The key distinction between the two is what will decide our fate as a species.

Slackware does not contribute to the Linux community, it never did.
Ubuntu, Fedora, Redhat, SUSE Linux are trying their best to take linux computing further by actually developing stuff. What did Slackware ever do. It's been there for ages. It survived so long but yet to achieve ANYthing. Much like a cockroaches that survived ice age but never really obtained anything meaning full like Dinosaurs or Mammoths.
This might hurt you but Slackware community is a poison that Linux has no use for. What did they ever contribute to? Developing/contributing to BTRFS? Snapper? Kcraft/Kernel hotpatching? FreeDesktop? GNOME? KDE? Wayland? Mir? Snaps? Flatpak? LXC containers? OpenZFS? OBS? Convergence? KVM? High-end Xeon (or instanbul) support? GRO? Systemd-ui/kcm? KIWI?

I'll tell you what slackware ever did: Bitch and moan about systemd - because bitching and moaning is ONLY what Slackware is good for. It's pathetic and has a negative effect on the community.

The slackware userbase is just as pretentious: they never did anything productive because they are too busy in going to online forums to show off their manual dependency management skills instead of getting real things done. They will NOT like to admit there's no dependancy management because there's a sever lack of devs as mentioned in the number one reason in Slackware faqs. They'll BLINDLY follow what their cult leader do: use an abandonware bootloader and preach its superiority over any other bootloaders, or sperg about how vanilla their distro is.
When they are asked why they use the distro they ALL will give you the same brainwashed, mindless response: "Because of stability".
The users seem to forget the simple fact that Slackware does NOT fix ANY (again: ANY) upstream bugs. So if there's any bug in x-org or gtk, those packages will be just as buggy in Slackware as in Ubuntu. They just seem to forget that Slackware isn't more stable than other distros with the SAME bugs that causes instability.
Some of them will claim "Slackware doesn't have distro specific bugs"
However as I write this Slackware has had total of 35 security vulnerabilities: 9 of which is DoS, 13 remote code excecution, 10 Overflows, a memory corruption, a login bypass and 3 privilege esclations. (CVE details)

Now I know what you are thinking: "I should put my feet on the backpedal and claim it has ((less)) distro specific bugs"
Excuse me? I heard slackware is a "vanilla distro". If it were SO great, why are there vanilla bugs. If you are comparing to distros that are ten times more usable like ubuntu, I'd trade those bugs with usability and productivity. Ubuntu has paid, professional maintainers unlike an unemployed community of hobbyists.

I think we should completely exile them, they can move to BSD or some other garbage

Nice copypasta nerd. Slackware is truly the Chad OS. It cares about itself and it's own users. You sound like you need some personal responsibility in your worthless low-t life.

Also, if you want me to bite, at least the Slackware devs actually use their own OS, instead of using OSX like the hipsters we see at Canonical.

>Slackware
>devs

It has a handful of them, and they care about their OS because they're personally invested in it. People like Alien Bob are a true gift to this world.

Yep. Slacked my way through high school and college but I'm a windows family man now.

systemd simplifies everything and shitty distributions like Arch take the vanilla config route.

If you love ncurses installers you will love every installer fucking ever made outside of X hurrrrr...

>systemd simplifies everything
Objectively incorrect statement, from a tripfag no less.