/cyb/ + /sec/: Cyberpunk and Cybersecurity General

▌ All resources from past threads (paste and comments) will be present at OuterHeaven
> i2g3vsckj67dnjvb.onion

Θ Infosec questions: building an obsessive need to find your own answers could be a key for more than one chain.

Ω All are welcome here; the world is fucked and we are all in this together.

◙ Cypherpunk Manifesto
> activism.net/cypherpunk/manifesto.html
◘ Cyberpunk Manifesto
> project.cyberpunk.ru/idb/cyberpunk_manifesto.html
∆ Hacker Manifesto
> phrack.org/issues/7/3.html
± Guerilla Open Access Manifesto
> archive.org/stream/GuerillaOpenAccessManifesto/Goamjuly2008_djvu.txt

▓ Fables, realities, prophecies and mythology of a community:
░ What is cyberpunk
> hastebin.com/ayufiyuvew
▀ The importance of a cyberpunk mindset applied to a cybersecurity skillset.:
> youtu.be/pcSlowAhvUk
● Cyberpunk directory:
> hastebin.com/efohokurid
▬ Cyberpunk resources
> hastebin.com/onequqodih

▐ Cybersecurity essentials/resources
Reference books
> mega.nz/#F!YigVhZCZ!RznVxTiA0iN-N6Ps01pEJw
> PASSWORD : ABD52oM8T1fghmY0
> hastebin.com/oquzikafuz
> hastebin.com/owulepames
> Cntrl + F Basic Knowledges, Basic Training, Arms/Arm
> hastebin.com/edutujabez
▼ Endware: Heavy armor for anons, by anons
> endchan.xyz/os/res/32.html

◊ Free Shells and more
>sdf.org/
>shells.red-pill.eu/

₪ /cyb/ FTP
>ftp://collectivecomputers.org:21212/Books/Cyberpunk/
> user/password == guest

≡ IRC
> irc://irc.rizon.net:6697
> #Sup Forumspunk
> #Sup Forumssec
> #Sup Forumscyb
> (All require SSL)
> IRC guide:
> hastebin.com/izoxahaqen

» Thread archive
>archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/search/subject/cyb/
>archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/search/subject/sec/
>archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/search/text//cyb/ /sec//
> Thread backup
> cyberpunked.org/

Ψ Lasts Threads

Other urls found in this thread:

maritime.org/doc/neets/
cyberneets.neocities.org/
linkedin.com/pulse/avoiding-infosec-extinction-nick-hutton/
catb.org/jargon/html/E/emoticon.html
jaykay47.bandcamp.com/
comma.guide/vocative-comma/
youtu.be/pcSlowAhvUk
samba.org/samba/security/CVE-2017-14746.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Some EE stuff:
maritime.org/doc/neets/

We back now, cool

hi

To bump this a little..

How would you rate/rank the following fields in terms of:
a) Good reputation and money
b) It's comfy work
c) It's fun and challenging
d) It's easy to get the qualifications and find a job

Fields:
Software Engineer
Web Development
Database Architect
Business Analyst
Networking
System Adminstration
User Administration
Penetration Tester
Help desk

>Help desk
>shit reputation
you work at a fucking call centre
>money
yeah it was pretty alright; fresh out of high school and on 45k.
>comfy
it was the exact fucking opposite
>fun
about as fun as pulling my own teeth out
>challenging
yeah it was to not throw myself out a window
>easy to get
all you need is to be able to speak and youre hired

it just depends on your passion, usually(for the most people) making money is the exact opposite of having fun.
Therefore you're gonna get different answers, some people just pick the one thing they like and become good at it in order to make money in that field.

I personally can't rank every one of them since i haven't been in some of those fields, but pentesting/networking/software engineer would be at the top while help desk/db/webdev would be at the bottom.

, here.

As promised I present to you my half-assed attempt to perpetuate that knowledge: cyberneets.neocities.org/

I made it through the first two chapters of internetingishard. There's a lot of stuff that I want to add, but for now that's what we'll have.

Don't pay attention to the CSS file. kek I didn't even used selectors or anything fancy, just basic pain and suffering as a noob in webdev.

Shit was fun, though.

I saw your link in the last thread but forgot to include it in the OP.
I wanted to refactor the OP ressources anyway but didn't get my ass up so far

"networking" can be like a dozen different things
pure network people are rare because businesses just don't need pure networking people for long term full time employment, or if they do they already have someone
as an independent contractor, you'll be driving your van with the logo and phone number around, trying to go to local business meetups and shill your services to the people there
after that you're going to get to do the fun stuff of surveying the site, making network diagrams (well i find that part fun anyway), figuring out what you can do to improve the situation and proposing solutions that hopefully make you some money
after you set them up all smooth they pretty much don't have use for you anymore, so you'll just give a number to call when they break it and the process of finding new work starts over again

the tech qualifications are pretty easy, you can get a bunch of networking certs in like 3 months
the "running a business" part of being independent and figuring out how much to charge, how to get equipment, how to advertise, how to pay "yourself", how to do the taxes, that's all a headache and probably something to attend a seminar about

charisma is required, and you should probably always be looking for other skills to pick up
i'd probably go more blue collar and work on some electrician apprenticeships since it's a natural combo with the van, if you like code there's usually a desire for network focus there due to its rarity, sysadmin is also good for steady (generally lower) pay and the odd schedules leading you to being more ready to perform network jobs on the side when you can

Hahaha..

Ok, but why do people recommend getting certificates and jumping straight into help desk?
Is it just a career stepping stone?

Well I've done a bunch of different things and generally I kinda enjoyed my work:
I've done websites as freelancer (which is not bad, but it's a lot of hustle and becomes repetitive pretty fast - hence the millions of stupid frameworks).
I've also worked as business analyst which basically meant doing excel, powerpoint and fixing computers every now and then.
I've also worked with databases a little bit, which I enjoyed a lot, but where I don't have great qualifications. While my SQL is quite solid I have little knowledge about the bigger topics (logging, backups, metadata, optimizing queries, designing a complete business infrastructure and so on).

Long story short:
I'd like to do some interesting IT-related work which is not too hard to get into. Recently I thought about getting into security (or at least more into security) or maybe network related stuff. That's why I posted here. But I'm already in my thirties so some things probably won't fly. For example I always hear that for pentesting people with years of experience say they aren't good enough for a certain job. So I'm probably not gonna make it.
Netorking also looks interesting, but I'm not sure about digging through all those Cisco certifications.

You could say I'm just trying to get an idea what to do with my life, I guess..

[/ blog]

Thanks.

From my background I'm coming more from the white collar angle. I'm not having any strong foundations in economy, but that's where I got the most good boy points in my c.v.

What you said is exactly what I'm concerned about:
I'd like to get away (at least a little bit) from the business side and work more at the "technical side". But I think if I do some certifications for networking I still won't be able to compete with guys who have a strong background which lies closer to metal.

Is there a way to work somewhere in the midde of databases, networking and security realted stuff?

I feel like I have a lot of superficial skills, but nothing where you could call me an expert. I'm not afarid of learning, but I don't want to spend a lot of time and money for complicated cisco certificates when eventually they won't help me at all for my job, since I'm not a technician.

I know there isn't a roadmap to finding the perfect job, but I wish there was. It's all so confusing.

is creating ebooks and educational software /cyb/?

Only if it's illegal.

first for solarpunk

:(

Is Lisbeth Salander, from "The girl with the dragon tattoo, 2011" cyberpunk. She's pretty much all about high tech low life.

Or you can simply ask for advice and pretend it's illegal..

Does anyone still remeber when ebooks where called "bookz"?

Is this some Buckminster Fuller stuff?

The site is plain and simple. Good job, user! Thanks for delivery

Is information security still a good career or will it all be automated away and the rest of the work done in calcutta?

linkedin.com/pulse/avoiding-infosec-extinction-nick-hutton/

>>aww man I think maderas really did leave..

Yes I have, but never completely.

I have made commitments to this community, and my belief in it's destiny has not diminished.

There are enough flakes in this world; so much of the Internet and reality seems like an infomercial (promises, bullshit and disapointment leading to conditioning toward anger,).

Individuals can change this (and keeping my word is the best way I know how to do my part).

I have tried to do my best to put this community first; in that vein, the best way I can serve the community for the time being is to step back from here and focus on my projects for the community:

1) OuterHeaven will be down for a couple more days as I prepare for more mirrors (some of which will be on SDF), adding the content I have been collecting from these threads )I am pretty much caught up to the beginning June 2016.

A record of all sources are compiled in a spread sheet that I will make available to all of you sooner rather than later.

2) The Firing Range (pentest network(s): I have added a shitload of solid thin clients and a couple more servers.to the equipment and software/licenses for the lab.

Work on the pentesting portion of OutHeaven will begin very soon, aiming for a opening between X-mas and New Years as a present to all of you.

I collect resources from these threads every 3-4 days; sometime next week I will drop an e-mail address for anyone with any questions or who wants updates.

The main difficulty will be automating realistic user interactions within the network with a huge number of cron jobs/scheduled tasks/rcd/scripts (etc.) to make administration unwieldy.

Any input (or any other points or concerns) e-mailed to me next week would be helpful.

3) My former employer has gone out of business, which leaves me somewhat absolved of ethical revulsions toward posting multiple gigabites of pentest footage I have recorded while employed through them (cont'd next comment).

(cont'd)
I intend to put this up on OH (minus and/or with substitutions for /questionable data) before or early in the new year; any criticisms or thoughts regarding this (shared with me next week or later via e-mail) will be appreciated.
Before I released my essay (Shared thoughts blah blah), I never spoke less than a dozen times to anyone online about my InfoSec/hacking obsession (outside of instances relating to my employment).

For better or worse I have learned a lot here through my interactions with all of you.

And I owe much of what I have/who I am to those who came before me (in InfoSec/general CS and Cyberpunk) and must give back the treasure/salvation I have been given..

>>dont worry im still here :^)
Nope. I have not been in this general again until this morning. Also, for I despise emojis and text constructed facial reactions (it probably has another name).

I wrote this now just to reaffirm that I will continue as part of the community (though for the the time being, my only activity in this general will only be spent on collecting resources) and meet the promises I have made; otherwise, I am ghost (reachable via e-mail) working toward growing the massive potential I see here.

It is unlikely I will see any comments; I use DownthemAll to grab resources then fly through the page looking only for highlighted content (anything missed will reappear if it is worthwhile and I sometimes hit old generals again when gathering new resources).

I happened to see one anons comment and just wanted to clear the air; I am no special snowflake; I just wabted to ake sure that all of you know I will be honoring my promises (ride or die I think they say).

I fucking hate I in writing; it sticks out like fingers into my eyes.

Thanks anons; stay safe (but not too safe).

* without a huge number of cron jobs/scheduled tasks/rcd/scripts (etc.) making administration unwieldy.

*I spoke less than a dozen times to anyone online about my InfoSec/hacking obsession (outside of instances relating to my employment).

Sorry, old learning disability creeps in sometimes.

Have a better one.

I'm interested in picking up a nice, thick /sec/ book.
I know basic Java and JS, what are the best security books for a noob like me? I've got Gray Hat Hacking, but I think it's currently a little out of my range of understanding (though what I have understood has been really interesting), so I think I should possibly find something less scary before jumping back into it for real.

It's called "emoticon" and has been used on arpanet and usenet since 1982. Maybe even since 1979.

See:
catb.org/jargon/html/E/emoticon.html

web application hackers handbook
art of exploitation
both are in the mega link in the OP

>solarpunk
I added it to the FAQ. Unfortunately I forgot to update the index. New version is coming.

>Is this some Buckminster Fuller stuff?
Might as well be when you mention it though I haven't seen it. Someone at Wikipedia absolutely hates the term so it has been wiped every single time.

I think she is meant to be an autist. If that bestows status as /cyb/ I do not know.

I hope not, I have spent many hours updating the FAQ past 100 KB text which is free for all.

Is this cyberpunk?

No.

Absolutely not. It is like the part of post modernism that Alan Sokal calmly killed off, here reanimated with pats firmly down, indubitably deconstructing depravity.

What a strange mix of low brow humor and pretentiousness.

This is just stupid and gay

Anyone know anything about the ZenMate VPN? I'm considering purchasing a lifetime subscription during their sale, but I'm kinda suspicious of it. Would love for someone who has had experience with them to weigh in.

I've always hated how overused gay is as an insult but I think it just might be appropriate this time.

>employer has gone out of business
Shieeeet. What happened?

Please no, InfoSec is the only area in IT that's not saturated in here.

manifesto's are cringey as hell my dude

gommunist manifesdo

t. garl marx xD

>Ok, but why do people recommend getting certificates and jumping straight into help desk?
Because as you'll soon realise, most people you encounter who give you "advice" have never walked the path and have zero fucking idea what they are talking about.
>Is it just a career stepping stone?
Neither. It was not brought up in any of my interviews for desktop support work, and the technical knowledge I was interviewed for and need to know in my day to day most certainly did NOT come from my Helpdesk days.

It was a good way for me to make some money as a broke uni kid, but it was an awful job that basically created my anxiety and depression issues. I never had them until I worked at that call centre.

I was promised the world too; I was told I'd be put on courses to make my career move, that level 2 teams recruit from the level 1 guys; it was all lies. Level 2 didn't want us because we had no skills, and we were never put through courses because "you're too valuable to the team to send away! You belong here!"

Anyone recommending Helpdesk has never walked the path.

>aiming for a opening between X-mas and New Years as a present to all of you.

It's be probably more constructive to link to /diy/'s /ohm/ threads as they add a lot of resource for starters.

Manifestos wrought in sheer rage are quite readable. There is an old one from alt.cyberpunk which is disturbingly relevant today.

That sounds nice. We need to make more beginner friendly resource packs

What are you working on /cyb/? For me, it's the project I've been putting off for literally 11 months

Collecting info. I gathered a lot of the infographics posted earlier and put it into ./Cyberpunk/Tech/Infographics on the FTP site which, as it happens is down.

My bad, the FTP is up, the data is here:
ftp://collectivecomputers.org:21212/Books/Cyberpunk/Tech/Infographics/
user and password: guest

>What are you working on /cyb/?
>For me, it's the project I've been putting off for literally 11 months
Fucking lol, same.

Im working through nand2tetris. I started it in December last year, went through the first 4 weeks, took some very good notes and learnt a hell of a lot, but kinda forgot about it when other courses I wanted to do came up.

Now I'm burnt out as fuck and want to do something for myself, not for my career, so I'm back in the nand2tetris and it's really fun and enjoyable.

I learnt how to (theoretically) write an assembler. The next video is about actually coding it out, and I'm excited to watch it.

Tox or email i can reach you at? I can help with the cron jobs and automation.

Awesome
B-)

Well done

Don’t waste your money buddy, the only reason to use one is if you plan on doing some browsing from a public WiFi hotspot, and in that case just make your own.

>Web Dev
drop the bottom 5 on your list

i just uploaded JK-47s discography for you guys, some nice Cyberpunk themed music

jaykay47.bandcamp.com/ ftp://collectivecomputers.org:21212/Music,%20Audio/JK-47/

If you want to support the guy, whole discography is just 9,60

I bought it myself and uploaded it for those who can't afford it.

/cyb/ threds summed up

> "how do i hack"
> "what books should i read"
> career advice questions from people who want to make 100k a year but have help desk level experience
> maderas posts some shit about OH that he and 10 other people at most understands
> random questions to keep the conversation going.

Did i miss anything?

Has this general ever made a CTF team?

Lol I've posted puzzles before and tried to get them in to CTFs but they never take off

Post your zmap speed
148 Kp/s (148 Kp/s avg)

>not wearing panties and coding socks
fucking gaylords

Oh really? After all the things I've done for you, that's what you say to me? I feel so hurt....I thought we had something special.

How do I know OH isn't a fucking honeypot?

software engineer here. how do I pivot to being a network administrator? I mean the kind that makes damn good money. I have a basic base of networking knowledge. Do I get certifications?

It's spelled "Fuck you, Internet".
comma.guide/vocative-comma/

I love this thread

>> "how do i hack"
>> "what books should i read"
>> career advice questions from people who want to make 100k a year but have help desk level experience
at least the Reddit hacking subs make these topics an instant van

I'd suggest a wiki or something we can direct people to, but I get the feeling it won't be fucking read..

people really think hacking is something that can be learned from a book one weekend and applied like an algorithm huh?

If development can, there's nothing to say that hacking can't.

You can read a book to find out how to perform buffer overflows, how to test and perform SQL injections; much in the same way you can learn to develop apps and websites by reading books and applying your new found methods.

Doing X and being good at X are two different things.

>You can read a book to find out how to perform buffer overflows, how to test and perform SQL injections
Isn't that just cracking?

I really need to start going through that.

>Isn't that just cracking?
I thought it was
>reading a book to find out how to perform buffer overflows
>reading a book on how to test and perform SQL injections

You're part of the problem if you keep moving these magical goal posts that beginners won't ever be able to hit, because you don't want to share the field.

I thought hacking was about the mentality, everyone can read a book and follow instructions to make a buffer overflow but not everyone can apply that knowledge to solve more advanced problems.
I mean, I don't think of myself as a hacker just for reading the art of exploiting and reproducing the steps, everyone can follow instructions. The hard thing is going further and I say this as a beginner.
To be honest the only thing that pushes me forward is that imaginary construction of the hacker that is able to think outside the box in any situation.

>everyone can read a book and follow instructions to make a buffer overflow
No, they really can't. Try taking that over to /r9k/ or Sup Forums and see how well they can even follow the steps, let alone reapply the methods to something else.

>▀ The importance of a cyberpunk mindset applied to a cybersecurity skillset.:
> youtu.be/pcSlowAhvUk

Why is this globalist shill on our copypasta? He ended his lecture with a quote from a Marxist... Come to think of it, all ted talks I've seen include leftist dog whistles. Nothing wrong with liberals, but it's clear the far left are the ones protecting the deep state at the moment.

So /cybsec/ what Im doing is finishing up my master's, EE/CE Student, bailed out of most extreme hardware stuff and made up for it with networking stuff
Working on my thesis too that's a malware analysis thing
I'm pretty fixated on a career in cybersecurity desu and I wanted advice on what to pursue, considering I like pretty much most of the security fields
In other words what has the best prospects really

>what jobs are in your area
>what are you skilled in
>who is hiring

This has less to do what you want in an airy fairy land and more to do with the cold facts: are you in an area that's even hiring in the IT realm, let alone sec?

>it's clear that the far left are the ones protecting the deep state at the moment
You're just as clueless and dumb as the globalist Marxist leftist shills you criticize. The two sides are the same. They're both greedy, oversensitive, callous, hypocritical, short-sighted, tribalistic retards. You think rightists are any better? Look at the fucking white house. I don't know for sure you're a Trump supporter, but it's my guess.

>I'm gonna drain the swamp, believe me! And I know swamps!
>nominates Verizon shill
>nominates ExxonMobil shill
>fills his cabinet with corporatist puppets no better than Shillary

>b-but muh 42D chess!!!
Just stop. How can you even rationalize this crazy bullshit in your head? Trump claimed he was an outsider with a new perspective who could drain the swamp, but he's just as bought and paid for as any other politician, he just managed to hide his fucking marionette strings from enough dimwitted simpleton to get into office. Trumpsters were conned and they're too dense to see it.

So please, Sup Forums, just leave. No one wants you here.

Im in a country that isn't hiring, but im well enough connected in uni to consider a job the day I get my degree abroad

Yeah, I looked further into it, and it seems like a shitty VPN. thank u

Fake and gay.

it's definitely a honeypot so act accordingly and use proxies

What is OuterHeaven?

>Did i miss anything?
Yes.

You missed the FAQ and the FTP site. The FAQ is being written here, OC.

it's a secret :^)

>everyone can read a book and follow instructions to make a buffer overflow
If it's so easy, whip up an exploit for the latest Samba vulnerability:
samba.org/samba/security/CVE-2017-14746.html

Give me a book about exploiting Samba and I can do it.

The political angle is interesting, at least from the /cyb/ angle since the political backdrop of the 1980's was essential to the Movement that later came to be known as Cyberpunk.

Also I think there is a major difference between hiring corporate captains as opposed to their semi-disguised representatives/lobbyists. And that makes it different from all recent US governments.

In any case the underlying cause is the revolt of the people against the self declared elite whose lives and realities are now so far apart from the people they feel entitled to rule over that it just looks silly. We see this also in Europe where Brexit is just one of many effects of this. A series of disastrous opinion polls is another.

The Sup Forums here is to me only interesting to the extent it impacts the world I live in and a more corporate oriented leadership will again let tech evolve faster than regulators can keep up with, again since regulators are now being kicked out for overdosing on caffee latte.

I think we can already see this in the real world like in the UK where live experiments on human germ lines using CRISPR/Cas9 has already received permissions. I had expected this would drag out for decades but permissions are already here. The potentials here are astronomical.

There is a huge /sec/ side to this too. After all DNA is just another data storage medium, not just for blueprint but also running code like epigenetics. We will see CVEs for DNA within this generation.

This is the Sup Forumsternet project in a nutshell

it sure is a quiet day when this, of all things, is what generates most posts. I appreciate the bumps though.

Lad, I don't want 100k. In fact fun beats money ten of ten times, at least in the long run.
I simply wanted some first hand insights about some fields to get a rough idea what is fun and what not.
Don't be so pepe-esque.

Yeah sorry for the nocontent of my post, but it's too quiet here and I'm fucking bored. Right now I'm a configuring a raspi to have a remote shell with a friend, mostly for torrenting (he barely uses his internet, so he don't mind hosting for me, at the price of a beer).
What is everyone doing now ?

I am in the same position.

TO kick things off, why do so many ask about careers in help desk jobs when you can go Cyber Command? A trip to Wiki suggests the career options are varied.

Posting on Sup Forums, and you?

>everyone is a burgertard

>help desk jobs
It's actually comfy for the lazy type guy. Solving problems of dumb users is repetitive, while you can think of your own projects and still be paid for.
Cyber Command sounds cool, but that would be a 24/7/365 job. Not sure I want to spend my life behind a computer.

Told you already >configuring a raspi to have a remote shell

that reminds me.
I wanted to configure one to use as an implant.
On that topic; what does one use to manage such clients? Is there a RAT server that can handle custom clients well ?

>use as an implant.
Like what ? Stealth install in office/mcdonalds/school to have a backdoor there ?
>what does one use to manage such clients
Doesn't ssh work enough for you ? What do you need to with it ?

>Like what ? Stealth install in office/mcdonalds/school to have a backdoor there ?
exactly.
>managent
I meant something like a C2. Are there any halfway decent FOSS ones? Don't want to reinvent the wheel.
For the actual connection ssh is fine

>everyone
Nope, pic her has been flown earlier. There are several European countries with cyber warfare elements. Also most industrialised countries field electronic warfare groups.

>Cyber Command sounds cool, but that would be a 24/7/365 job.
A lot of /sec/ jobs require monk like dedication. Expect a monastic lifestyle.