Why don't applications have tabs...

Why don't applications have tabs? Like a general browser like box where you can run multiple applications and swap between those applications with tabs like you do on the browser?

Other urls found in this thread:

theverge.com/2017/11/28/16709190/microsoft-windows-10-tabs-file-explorer-sets-feature
youtube.com/watch?v=3lEjuU-XFHg
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

they do

Have you ever looked at the taskbar in Windows? Or the equivalent of other OSes?

It has been there virtually for ever. You just didn't recognize it.

The taskbar is not exactly the same. I mean if the taskbar and tabs were the same, why not have a million windows open of the browser instead of a million tabs?

>why not have a million windows open
Well? Why not? I still don't see how a taskbar isn't the same. Try dragging it to the top of your screen.

Suckless tabbed

fluxbox has em exactly like this

Mah nigga

theverge.com/2017/11/28/16709190/microsoft-windows-10-tabs-file-explorer-sets-feature

You can use i3 to do that

we used to do that?
are you too young to remember browsers without built in tabs?

I remember using a browser without tabs. My point is that after the tabs were released in the browser, no one abt back to the million of Windows and taskbar, but few applications utilize tabs and as far as I know, no os utilizes tabs like a browser does for multiple applications. If they do, I would like to see examples of it

It's not the application's job to manage the tabs on the taskbar. It's the taskbar's task. That's why all applications work with the taskbar.

> I would like to see examples of it
Seriouly, look at the bottom of your screen.

programs which benefit those most often have their own tabbing system, such as file managers, image editors, terminal emulators, etc.
but yea, a system-wide tabbing system is literally the taskbar, most (modern) os's have some kind of taskbar/windowlist

I'm talking more like a persistent window for multiple applications then tabs the more I think about it.

Your persistent window is just the desktop.
The tabs are the icons on your taskbar

Tabs aren't a silver bullet.
If you need one document but many views/windows for that document tabs won't help you.

I mean this is pretty close. note the extra desktop tab so you can group another lot of files
like this
youtube.com/watch?v=3lEjuU-XFHg

> A set of apps uses the desktop "tabs".
> An app uses the taskbar "tabs".
> A window within an app uses "tabs".
It's a fucking tree.

It would be better if the OS managed it like that instead of having three different systems (one of witch is not even responsibility of the OS). It would allow for extra levels without having to make yet a new system every time (desktop tab manager? browser tab grouping addon?)

And most applications (adobe pdf viewer I'm looking at you) won't let you open the same domcument twice neither.

Wow Windows finally got a basic usability feature GNU/Linux desktops have had for 20+ years.

It seems more like he's describing BeOS, or Fluxbox where windows could be docked together.

>Wow Windows finally got a basic usability feature GNU/Linux desktops have had for 20+ years.

they're still teething

Windows can be docked together with fluxbox?

The taskbar on windows 10 can let you open as many programs I as you want I guess. It holds other programs you opened, after the first bar is full, on a second bar which you have to scroll back to every time you go to the first bar.

tl;dr The windows taskbar or any taskbar in most functional OSes is a tab bar for applications. To switch between applications in windows just Alt+Tab. Simple.