MS office alternatives

Tried this one out recently.
Seems completely satisfactory.
Is there any reason that anyone should actually buy microsoft's vaporware anymore given their shitty new subscription model?

Other urls found in this thread:

help.libreoffice.org/Chart/Trend_Lines
ask.libreoffice.org/en/question/7087/how-to-set-background-color-in-writer/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Excel is the only reason why a company would need Microshit Office.
And even that might be covered by the chink Kingsoft Office.

Google Docs.

Is it more than a cloud service now?
Kingsoft and libre seem to be better with the non cloud features

excel
its vastly superior to anything on the market

There's LaTeX but I think that's mostly for scientific papers

But what are the competitors missing that excel has?

A lot of proprietary software that generate documents or send email for example Rekon Quickbooks will not interface with open source alternatives. Absolute pain in the arse.

there was no reason as soon as LO and OOO could handle shitty MS formats. Sit down a normie in front of LO in fullscreen and they will think it is excel

lol, excel is programming for people who are too stupid for scratch

Sounds like something a quickbooks competitor could capitalize on

nothing, MS is literally selling o360 subscription as part of oem windows to clueless people. Office is soon be on its way of the Internet Explorer and MS hopefully does a myspace

These are my first impressions so far
I remember trying an earlier version and being underwhlemed, but the progress is evident

One can dream
perhaps adobe next

There's literally nothing better than the Office suite. It's the business standard for a reason

LO is lacking features, especially for STEM-related documents, where you have various data analysis tools and diagram formatting options missing.

it takes time, but would not long msft in current year

Libreoffice has closed the gap with excel since 2015 regarding the main features / power. Anyone telling you libreoffice is weak hasn't tried it before the openoffice fork.

It lacks the polish excel has, that is all.

>STEM
>not latex
oi shill

I would assume this, but value-wise I'm more inclined that it is useful for far fewer people than are being ripped off by their pricing scheme

I'm assuming you mean non education since ms office is usually packaged into tuition

Except every competitor also uses MS Office for their generation as well. Businesses don't care anyway as Office for them is a tax write off regardless and with volume licencing the pill is super easy to swallow.

I don't make these regulations. When you publish a work, you have to comply to the formatting regulations.

>Rekon Quickbooks
>Go to their mainpage
>® fucking everywhere
>Not anticipating proprietary shenanigans coming from these people
You brought it upon yourself. Not including open-source format output is lazy programming, money grabbing bullshit that needs to be discouraged. Please fuck off or give another three examples to prove your point. You just sound like a salty programmer who had to deal with their bullshit.

>non education
Education as well. Many universities have strict requirements for paper formatting. Some of those can not be achieved in LO.

Sounds pretty homosex for the government to be subsidizing something that is generally useless

yeah, my thoughts when I looked at the bill it that I'm paying for MS to update UI in useless ways
maybe compatibility agreements as well I guess

> Is there any reason
PowerPivot, other neat features like making a report out of SQL features through a connection to a MS Project Server.

Right my point being that students don't really have a choice since they are forced to pay for it through tuition

>Some of those can not be achieved in LO.

fud

it has nothing to do with quality and more to di with ms $lobby

>fud
Show me LO's trendline formatting options then. They don't compare (or did not the last time I had to use them).

Our company uses OpenOffice and everybody hates it. It's such a piece of shit. I downloaded the portable version of libre office and, while it's better than OpenOffice calc, it's incredibly slow.
There's just no replacement for Microsoft office when dealing with customers and just creating documents in general.

>dynamic tables in latex
>takes few hours to compile. Still shit.
No thanks.

Sadly some industry specific software only works with office suite - like Robot for civil engineers.

Most folks in my company wouldn't notice any difference but would bitch when they read open office/Libre office instead of office.

Also some Microsoft shenanigans prevent oo/lo from properly opening their formats.

>no true scotsman
>help.libreoffice.org/Chart/Trend_Lines

show me a university where insignificant detail X by MS (tm) is required formatting, which was originally challenged btw

Holy shit just try looking at any mainstream Windows software for the last 20 years once Office '97 became standard. Pull your head out of your ass and look at the real world.
I agree with the subsidies and generally useless software, however that 'this is how its always been' principle rearing its ugly head as always.

Fine, this was not around, when I needed to use it last.

>given their shitty new subscription model
This is why our office specifically bought volume licensing for Office 2016 professional plus suite.

4 licenses for ~$160 total. ($40 each). And Microsoft gives us 50 installations on a single volume licences key.

yes, it's pretty much a full suite. It sucks because you have to partner up with big brother, but it's super convenient. It doesn't have all of the features the Microsoft or libre office have, but, if your a student like me, you would never use those features anyways. The cloud sync is also great, you get 15 GB of storage for free, which if your only making documents is pretty good

>It sucks because you have to partner up with big brother, but it's super convenient.
you're not "partnering up" with big brother
you're becoming its bitch

Good programmers have families, mortgage, and don't work for free, it's real world, not communistic utopia.

but that's annually though right?

No. LaTeX can be used for all kinds of documents, and even presentations. However it's more aimed as said on scientific papers.

>Good programmers
show me some innovation that warrants that label beyond figuring out new ways to gouge naive consumers

*in the last decade+

I dunno I know I don't have any office installed Google docs is nice....

>all you docs are backed up by nsa
>you have to be online to edit them
>lags more than an electron app

agree this is pretty much state of the art in current year, but come on

Only for professional Excel

Otherwise Libre is completely satisfactory as you put it

>Holy shit just try looking at any mainstream Windows software for the last 20 years once Office '97 became standard
Ok the world you dive in is proprietary and based on windows products, why come to this kind of thread and try shitting on open-source software like "muh shitty proprietary software don't output opensource" ?
Just stay in your bubbles and let the real world evolve please. Proprietary sucked on open srouce titty since the beginning. so stop being a twat.

need to call a spade a spade for those wandering in here

>professional Excel

what a misnomer

Do you know how to change the page color? I tried figuring it out myself and googled it but I can't find a solution.

Rclick>page>area tab
pretty intuitive

like dis?
ask.libreoffice.org/en/question/7087/how-to-set-background-color-in-writer/

Literally nothing.

I have a decent PC and calc is the only redeemable feature. The word processor tauts itself as compatible, but it's absolutely not and sharing notes with formulas or anything other than plain text is a PITA. Best solution is to pirate O2013 or get a key from cdkeysites if legality is your concern

>7 years ago
wew grandpa

Yeah I don't see the area/background tab when I do all of that. I'm either blind as fuck or something is fucked up. Idk.

Nope, it's specifically NOT office 365.

It's office 2016 professional plus.

Retail license costs are about $800

Can you make something equivalent to vba macros with LibreOffice?

Sane macros, integration with big boy software like SAP and Solidworks., more intuitive interface and featureset, able to secure a support contract from a reputable company.

LibreOffice could get there one day if the contributors ever worked in a live-fire business enviornment. Until then, Office will reign supreme.

You begin a document with Microsoft office, you finish with Microsoft office. The fact that libreoffice offers MS compatibility to an extent is cool enough to give them credit.

>Free software doing 99% of what the world needs
>b-but muh compatibility with proprietary ecosystem !
>b-but muh 0.1% niche needs !
>l-last time I checked in 2001 it wasn't implemented !
>b-but muh polish !
>b-but muh UI ! I can't google btw
It's like you don't like free software with no catch. Please keep complaining with your niche arguments/needs.

check your version maybe
was literally the first thing I tried

LaTeX

You have not worked in manufacturing and industry if you think 99% (and LibreOffice is nowhere close to 99%) is enough. It needs to be 100%, no ifs, ands, or buts.

Nobody gives a fuck about some kids college paper for his introductory appreciation of art class, even though that's what MOST people might use Office for. It's people communicating BOMs, manufacturing data exported from their CAD software, etc. that matter. There is no room for compromises. It might be 1% of the userbase, but they need *all* of the functionality, and everybody who works for them will learn the software and use it out of habit.

With little effort, proprietary BOM software developers and CAD format maintainers could comply to output opensource format. But muh monopoly, muh lobbying are too strong.
For your everyday developer in CAD and industrial design so be it, their boss is ok with paying licence becaue they charge customer for it anyway.
The fact is that they could output opensource format with little effort from their dev team but lo and behold, MS would lose monopoly.
My points being
- Stop thinking BOMs and CAD aren't niche, they are niche
- With little leverage, content generators could output opensource but they are pressured not to, by corporations.