>A Normie user can't double click to install a downloaded .deb in 2017

RIP Linux

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/vmware/open-vm-tools
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

but you dont even have to download manually

>normies can't use linux so they'll have to use windows like all other retards
Good

Desktop linux is not for normies though.

installers would be way for software protection and commercialization of dirty communistic Linux

This

Yes you can...

>be a normie
>"Hmm, I want x program"
>find it
>download it
>double-click installer
>voala!

>Linux in 2017
>can't find x
>sudo apt install x
>ain't there
>Welp. Go google x
>download x
>Double-click x
>"You need a permssions to execute this sir"
By now normies should be done with the cringey nerdfest that is Lin*x
But no, it get's better
>try to open terminal here
>Welp. No context menu to open terminal
>Open terminal app
>cd ~/x/y/z/mydownload.deb
>dpkg -i mydownload.deb
>wHooPs "package depends on package y but it will not be installed"
They should be broken to pieces by now. BUT NO, IT GETS EVEN BETTER!
>Run sudo apt install --fix-missing
>can't fix missing
>Open Google, go to website download source
>Compile source after two hours
>Buggy unmet driver dependacy crapfest, rip X Software

packagemanager search x
if it's not there
1. its probably malware
2. you probably dont really need it
3. if you do, add the developers repository. if it doesnt exist, the developer is trash and his program sucks.

Pic related. It's OP.

What is gdebi then?

This desu desu
if it’s not included in any decent distro’s repositories OR the developer doesn’t host his own repository OR it’s not in the AUR, it’s trash and you don’t need it

Don't install stuff from outside your distros packages. Even if it doesn't cause troubles right now (which it probably will) it won't be updated and you'll forget about it.

Enjoy your broken system.

> be free
> "let us decide what is good for you"

>>double-click installer
>reboot
>don't turn off your computer
>stuck at 35% for half an hour
>reboots
>working on updates
>please do not turn off your computer
>half an hour more to work on updates
>one hour in
>stuck at 78%
>one more hour in
>couldn't finish updates.
>reverting changes
>please do not turn off your computer
>leave the computer
>come back the next day
>still stuck at "please don't turn off your computer"
>turn off the PC
>reboot
>checking disks
>something happened
>call windows tech support
>hello sir, rajapajeet here
>how may I help u?
>Your PC has been infected with a wairus
>please get your windows 10 dvd and boot into the safe mode
>please do the needful
>what do you mean you don't have the installer
>sir I think we can't help u
>get angry
>come to Sup Forums
>make a thread about installers
Thanks, Micros**t

Well, no they don't. You can leave the warnings for what they are, not educate your self on the matter and proceed anyways. Run into problems later.

If you did some research you'd find out why this, although possible, is a bad idea. GNU/Linux let's you do anything, including the just-fuck-my-shit-up stuff.

this literally never happens
and i had this like 3 times already on my debian setup
that dependency shit really activates my almonds

>this literally never happens
Happened to me at least 5 times. Fix your updates, microcucks. I know you steal my activities to "make the software better" but I don't see it happening.

>windows 10
that's like complaining about arch linux shitting itself after an update

What did you try to install?

i really don't remember anymore because i've stopped using debian, i think it was a ftp server or something
i don't even remember why i needed debian for this but it was probably because no other linux distro had that one/two programs compiled

>Installs a rolling release
>Breaks after updating
Yeah, you had this coming.

Good, normies shouldn't download shit off the internet and infect their computers

>cd ~/x/y/z/mydownload.deb

>A Normie user can't double click to install a downloaded

this is why linux (apart from android) will never become mainstream. its not user friendly.

The stock Ubuntu store does this for you, you're blatantly wrong

Most windows users don't know how to double click install an msi or exe either, and they get easily tricked into double clicking payroll.doc.exe

That's why the Windows App Store exists.

If you're expert enough to know how the things work, you're beyond the majority of users.

But that's outright fucking wrong.

If you have not used Linux (and that doesn't mean installed it once for a few days), do not post on his board.

Even from a normie perspective, installers are basically dead.

You were around in the last 10 years where everyone and especially normies moved most of their personal computing from windows to Android, right?

Yea, that's like Linux package managers. Not Windows installers.

>using the word normie
the mark of a true normalfag

That is actually not how people use Android to begin with. They only use the Google store as GUI package manager.

that's the point

>If you have not used Linux
used it in vmware..... even simple vmware driver installation from "disk" requires getting into console (and inputting admin password).

on windows its double click and next next....
on linux it even requires to download some additional crap to fully complete installation.

linux is such user-unfriendly.

yeah after similar crap i just deleted linux partition once and for all :D
good thing i disconnected windows drive when i was trying to use linux so boot loader was not fucked up.

You can fuck face, also for rpm's.

But should you though...... No.

it's even simpler than

> escalating privilege
> choose directory
> acknowledge end user licence agreement
> un-tick yahoo toolbar "suggested" installation
> place icon on desktop and start menu?

also , i removed that crap because i only install programs from the repos, unlike "normies".

Installing a possibly untrusted a driver is a major security liability if a double click would do that without hesitation. That is why you need root permission first to do such a major change.

Windows has "signed" drivers, but what good are signed drivers in a backdoored OS.

I don't like terminal part mostly.
why its not double click =|

here from the trusted repos, literally a single click. unlike windows.

OP is so full of shit it's amazing.

Did you even try double clicking a .deb file? Retard..

You can just double click .deb files in Linux Mint, how brain dead are you?

99% of Linux drivers are included in the kernel. A majority of proprietary drivers are available in a GUI. Are you seriously asking why a virtualization driver whose install process must work across all distros (and probably shares a significant amount of code with its BSD equivalent) isn't as simple as you'd like?

You're the *exact* sort of retard I'm talking about. It blows me away that you've managed to stay alive for as long as you have.

You don't have to install any third-party these days though, it's download appimage and run.
System applications are another matter.

>A majority of proprietary drivers are available in a GUI

that's another theme... life usb with persistence got black screen instead of booting after installation of amd drivers.

>Are you seriously asking why a virtualization driver
I'm just asking about gui one double click installation not fucking terminal. I don't want to type any commands in terminal ever on my desktop.

>I don't want to type any commands

Holy shit, I can tell that you don't even use Windows for anything more than browsing Facebook. If you do anything more than browse the internet and read your email, you *will* need to use a terminal on *any* operating system.

You are virtualizing something. It is not perfect. It is very much a power user corner case. You are a fucking moron if you expect it to be "easy". Please stop posting on this board; it was significantly better before consumerist retards like you took it over.

Use a gui package manager. You are not required to use the CLI one. And yes, you can go to a website, download a package file and double click in a file manager to install them on many distros, but this approach is asinine vs just installing via package manager.

Listen to this user.

>terminal on *any* operating system.
"ping" ... thats all.
never used console on windows for anything else.

what distro is that?
looks comfy

>many distros
on what distros ? which one is user-friendlinest-ish ?

He's talking about a niche, proprietary, omnibus VMware driver. The man is seriously fucking wondering why such a driver might not be available from his package manager GUI.

The fastest way to release and renew DHCP leases, change certain settings, fix certain networking issues, and refresh Group Policy is to use the command prompt. You *must* use the command prompt to make a symbolic link/junction.

You are actively admitting that you are a mongoloid who has no business on this board.

> on what distros ?
Most binary distros. If it opens by default in a console window I guess you just change the default to the gui package manager you want.

> which one is user-friendlinest-ish ?
The one you spend as much time with and then know as well as Windows.

Ubuntu (not Xubuntu, Kubuntu Jewbuntu, etc.) is pretty hard to beat.

there's also opensuse
yast is very user friendly

>He's talking about a niche, proprietary, omnibus VMware driver.
I guess you install that one by running a script file as admin, but that's another "why the fuck would you?"

Just install the package for this github.com/vmware/open-vm-tools if you really are running VMware and Linux as a guest in it (which to an extent begs the question why you'd do that).

>can't even use a very simple package manager
Windows users really are mongoloids.

I would run the official VMware one just because you literally enter a password and nothing else. It's that easy. That's how much of a retard that guy is.

What is the
Apt search x

>can't double click to install a downloaded .deb
You can literally do that retard.

What? You can do that in pretty much every Ubuntu based distro. Install Gdebi for a less cancerous experience and you're good to go.

>please do the needful
every time

apt-cache search x
Welcome to the retardation of apt, now install Gentoo, we have cookies and Portage.

But they can

>The fastest way to release and renew DHCP leases, change certain settings, fix certain networking issues, and refresh Group Policy is to use the command prompt. You *must* use the command prompt to make a symbolic link/junction.

never used anything of that ever.

>driver might not be available from his package manager GUI
I actually was asking why I can't just double click on "installer" that comes on the disk that vmware mounts. And thats on ubuntu.
This OS really is not user friendly too sadly.
Even wine is not installing properly last time i asked. Double clicks on exe are not working (was working before). And there is no easy gui way to even add wine to "open with list" for "exe"

>never used anything of that
Those are basic tasks. This board is for people who do actual work with computers and technology.

>why can't I just double click on "installer"
Because the installer targets multiple operating systems that have no unified windowing system. This has been explained multiple times.

(you)

that's ubuntu. On arch, just
pacaur -S X

Now try installing a c++ library on windows. Enjoy 1 hour wasted vs 3 sec on unix-like system.

Everyone who replied to you besides me is probably nerdy, linux loser who is detached from reality.

in distributions made for idiots you generally have a GUI-frontend for the package manager, for instance the elementary software center. the process is basically:
>open software center
>search for application
>click install

on windows:
>search online for program
>pick the search result that isn't fake and isn't an ad
>pick the download button that isn't an ad
>agree to 100-page legal document
>carefully select not to install adware next to your program
>wait extra long for your program to install all 3rd party libraries for itself, even though you already have them
>reboot your computer because the installer threw a key into the registry and a scheduled task to remove it on next boot
The only way the latter is easier is if it's the only thing you know. But since people are getting more used to phones and tablets the Linux start to be at least as familiar to new users.