2011+6.91

>2011+6.91
>still no cheap A4 sized ereaders
>still no colour ereaders at all

Why has e-ink development pretty much died?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=jmpBgaPGYKQ
amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00756YMGU/
youtube.com/watch?v=9aEYT79-vuo
youtube.com/watch?v=FXO16tOEq-M
youtube.com/watch?v=pqn2650CJYc
youtube.com/watch?v=MsbiO8EAsGw
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

because it doesnt really solve any problems

o_0

think about it

they don't ride on the same process as the cheap af LCD tech

That would be counterproductive for their main purpose.

I have wasted literally hundreds of dollars in printing shit to read over the past decade.

If ereaders weren't overpriced tiny black-and-white garbage, a lot of people would buy one.

Ereaders are for reading ebooks. For documents get a tablet. You're trying to argue that motorcycles should have 2 extra wheels and a roof.

>For documents get a tablet

Yeah and pair of glasses

I've heard on Sup Forums that the patent will expire in a few years so eink displays will have more options relatively soon. Personally I would love a secondary eink monitor for my PC even with its current disadvantages. It would be awesome for articles. I think it would be really sick if I could load an article on my PC then seamlessly send it to my ereader to read on the couch. A man can dream...

Greedy patent jews killed the industry

Actually the patents expired in 2015 and 2016. Still no competition on the market. Really unsettling.

I remember the threads earlier in the year stating that they would expire in May (this year) and to prepare oneself for the inevitable onslaught of cheap, a4-size e-document readers.

Still waiting.

>color e-reader
how would that even work tho, considering how e-ink works

you could have three RGB e-ink "pixels" next to each other, just like in LCD

Can you show Bob and vegen on this

love how low power e-ink is.

One of the few things you could actually power wirelessly in your home.

>love how low power e-ink is
I love my Paperwhite too, but in all honesty if I could only have either my e-reader or a tablet with an additional powerbank I'd take the latter.

Because a 13" HD chinktab costs 200 currencies?

>color

and you wont see anytime soon (talking about cheap consumer color eink) since most books are like, monochrome therefore there is literally no need for that.

>what are textbooks

Textbooks, user. Textbooks.

>What is CMYK

Aren't there simple LCD screens that work on incoming daylight alone? I remember being able to see my old gameboy screen very well in bright sunlight.

Even better, something like the TI-84 (graphing calc). There should be cheap-ass tablets using that kind of display.

I've been waiting for something like this forever.
youtube.com/watch?v=jmpBgaPGYKQ

>that video is from 2010
>"hopefully we're seeing this in devices in the second half of the year"

What went so fucking wrong?

neat

One of the benefits of an eReader is that they're small and light. If you made an A4 sized variant then it sort of defeats that first point

An A4 eReader is smaller and lighter than a textbook

not sure if true but i saw an user say the other day that there is only one company making the displays because they have a patent

and a charger
the best thing about eink is that it lasts forever on a battery.

If I have to read docs I could do it on an A4 sized reader instead of my laptop battery
All the while I spare my eyes from a backlit display

this would work fine greyscale, colors don't enhance anything about it

Colors makes reading it a more pleasant experience.

I strongly believe that copy centers and color ink manufacturers are behind this shit. The moment color A4 ereaders become available and cheap, most of them will go bankrupt.

>A4 sized ereaders
This really confuses me as well.
Would the possible resolution be to shitty for this?

There are color e-readers. They didn't sell well, were overpriced, etc.

Amazon link just because it's got reviews and pictures

amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00756YMGU/

Einks only have 8 gray colors IIRC, so the options for color coding anything are pretty limited.

largely people who want these things don't need/want color.

I want a 12 inch one of these with color, but shits like 500-600$
Economies of scale is a bitch.

Its not about small and light, its about reading off a paper like screen or reading of a backlit lcd, the e paper is FAR more pleasent to read off of and honestly, If I could get one monitor size, I would mirror to it and read off it instead.

Would be good for textbooks, note-taking, picturebooks, manga, lots of things.

Grey-scale would be the status quo for years and years though as LCD and LED are far cheaper and more suited for color applications (motion).

Dithering.

the light had to bounce in and back out to you and only specific angles would light it right... this tech was fucking shit and died for a reason, even with the lower battery life, backlighting is the way to go.

youtube.com/watch?v=9aEYT79-vuo

youtube.com/watch?v=FXO16tOEq-M

youtube.com/watch?v=pqn2650CJYc

The future looks bright, reflective bright.

Probably like a jetbook.

The fad's over.

Whatever happened to Pixel Qi LCD screens with no backlight?

>eInk monitor for PC
sounds retarded user.

You can have a reflective screen with a backlight too. It was great for well-lit environments, like outside.

I've heard the argument that it would be harder to sell e-ink when there's an LCD next to it on display. The LCD would be brighter and have better colours. It's a similar effect that what TV shops hoped to have by cranking up the brightness and contrast on their demo units.

that's a dumb argument. eInk could be in a completely different section of the store. It's not a monitor and doesn't fill the same purpose.

Bc super amoled displays exist

I was thinking of the phone market, usually there's just one section for that.

ah right, well the phone could have eink on the backside.

Nigger, I've been using an Onyx Boox M92 for years now.

now if this isn't the most chinkshit thing I've seen...

Just pretend everything goes into the smartphone at the end. Nobody cares about having a device that's a master of one, they just want the jack of all trades option.

I'd love an eink pad for note-taking, signing documents and reading proposals

Moon+ Reader Pro is more relevant than using a dedicated ereaders

It can do video; good for diagrams. People are worried about the effects of kids staring at screens all day, and apparently the Chinas government is helping this tech because 80%+ of their kids are near sighted.

Oh apparently it could encourage kids to go outside more because the screen won't be washed out from the sun, so they will be less likely to develop near sightedness, but they will be staring at screen right in front of them sooo.

>If ereaders weren't overpriced tiny black-and-white garbage, a lot of people would buy one
Literally millions upon millions of people own them.

You sound like you just need use your tablet, you bitch.

The perfect analogy.

"Why can't my car fly?"

>literally a static black and white page of text

What's to compete with, you tard?

>additional powerbank
I know what you mean, but even a fuck huge powerbank isn't going to charge your tablet enough times to compete with the life of an e-reader, not even close.

It's not really a choice, they're two completely different things that share one common element...You can read e-books on both of them. It's like comparing a motorbike and a car.

It's the standard for printing, you'd use sRGB

The tech is difficult to produce and it isn't very versatile. Check out this guy's awesome channel as he explains the technicalities of e-paper:

youtube.com/watch?v=MsbiO8EAsGw

this.

E-readers would save me hours a month.
And fuck not being able to use tablets in open book exams.