/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and _monitor_ suggestions; click on the blue title to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

If you want help:
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs:
>NO i5 7500/7600K or i7 7700/K. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY COFFEE LAKE
>G4560/G4600 for non-gaming (light tasks) or bare minimum gaming builds with a dedicated graphics card
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (best with OC + fast RAM)
>R5 1600 / i5 8400 - Great gaming or multithreaded use CPUs
>R7 / Used Xeon / Threadripper / i7 - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Mixed use

RAM:
>Current CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000-3200 MHz is ideal
>Before buying RAM for Ryzen, check your Mobo's QVL or look for user reports

Graphics cards:
>Consider Vega 56 for a Freesync monitor
>Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon)
1080p
>GTX 1050Ti and 3GB 1060 are the only reasonably priced cards; 6GB 1060 or 4GB 580 if you want to overpay a little
>GTX 1070 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070/Ti and 1080 are standard choices; currently overpriced
>GTX 1080Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
2160p (4K)
>GTX 1080Ti

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 240GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor

Previous:

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/gp/product/B0134EW7G8/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
pcpartpicker.com/list/sXYDD8
youtube.com/watch?v=ZasfrJLTBho
m.youtube.com/watch?v=LQqjfTA3F_M
reddit.com/r/watercooling/comments/6o29jm/anyone_else_having_airflow_issues_with_enthoo/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Is it bad that the 'perfcap reason' is reading what i assume is power?

amazon.com/gp/product/B0134EW7G8/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
@2933mhz

16-17-17-35

any suggestions for how to tighten the memory timings?

Is the i7 7700k truly a housefire? are the temp spikes a meme or true? i am eager to upgrade from my i5 6600k since most games are using more threads not interested in AyylmaoMD at the moment.

Cheapest htpc build (so not gaming)
Has to be x86 (so no ARM or other meme architectures)

pcpartpicker.com/list/sXYDD8

I'm about to seal the deal on these last parts. Am I good to go?

What's the best b350m Mobo? I plan on overclocking at least a little bit, and I'd like to keep the board for at least 3-4 years.

>everything has been ordered
>boxes have begun to arrive at the house
>will have to start building soon

I'm so nervous because it's my first time.
I hope I don't fuck things up. I need to look up some youtube guides.

>ordered half my build
>arriving next week
>can't afford the other half because of unforeseen expenses that came up

the worst part is cable management and the case pin outs, relax

>gpu arriving a week after everything else arrives
>cant do anything with the parts for a week

MSI Tomahawk
ASUS Strix
ASrock Pro4

Looking at new build for next year. 1080p for high/ultra gaming and working. RX580's go for around $350-$380AU on the slightly used market. What can I tweak?

meant to quote

At this point i built so many machines i find it actually boring if everything works right away.
Today i built a Ryzon build for the first time and didn't know it has no integrated graphics. Took me about 1 hr of sweating & despair before i tried using some old GPU.

But you can unzip or encode a lot faster.

It's fine unless you're trying for a legendary OC, but don't upgrade yet. They're still way overpriced and your 6600K is still great

Cheapest would be dual core Pentium or Celeron
If you're going that low you can go fanless/passively cooled
You'll have a much better experience with an SSD

8600K is pretty meh unless you're just buying it out of impatience. i5 8400 or i7 8700K is way to go (or 8700 if you don't want to bother with an OC)

If you're building next year don't bother setting up a parts list now. Come back later because hardware is always advancing

>didn't know it has no integrated graphics
Yup, can tell you really know what you got your hands on.

Here's a suggestion

Leave your dumb brandloyalty, it's gay. And actually read up on things.

No the 7700k isn't housefire tier, it just gets hot because of the bad TIM intel is using, it's a dead platform though, and quad cores are already starting to show obsolescence in some games, especially i5s.

AMD might not be as fast as the i7s, but it's not the difference of playable and unplayable, or good and bad experience. But you can get very cheap 6 and 8 cores, which are more or less x99 shit for an ok comparison. You can keep your am4 motherboard for years, as AMD will keep releasing CPUs for it. And, they run cool.

i was about to pull the trigger on a Crosshair Hero VI and wait for Ryzen +, suddenly my washing machine gets fucked and its too old so i might buy a new one, and now my motorcycle it's doing weird noises...goodbye to my money saved i guess i will wait for Ryzen 2 Matisse CPU's....

Shove it up your bum
>i7-7700
It's an outdated waste of money your better off getting a i7-8400 for $200

>2x4 3000
>$155
Wat

So my Wi-Fi is working and my Ethernet cable was working for my old pc but this is happening on my new pc, does anyone know how to fix?

Low-end NUC.
youtube.com/watch?v=ZasfrJLTBho
As far as I've seen, Windows 10 works fine without activation. Get it from the Microsoft site.
Watch YouTube videos about first time builds. When the time comes, take it slow. If you happen to get too stressed, take a break - the PC will still be there in an hour or three.

Welcome to Straya, because fuck you thats why.

i have no brand loyalty but i do game a lot on older games and unoptimized games like far cry, where single core performance matters more, i do like what AMD pulled of with ryzen but since i already have a compatible mobo with i7 7700k thats why i asked about it,i was thinking to get a nice Crosshair Hero VI X370 and wait until march for the new Ryzen + but i am afraid that prices migth increase next year or somehow inflate and get stucked with a useless mobo so thats why i am asking.

I5 8400
>didn't know igpu
Glad you dropped your fanboyism
Your that guy with the rejected loan
I know that feel. Jobs cutting my pay because of short-time

It's the new singlethreaded games that pose a problem for ryzen, not the old ones.

How old are we talking?

What idle temps should I be looking at with a 1600 on stock cooler?

I went with the 8600k anyways.

Also I'm afraid of fucking up the windows install if I don't do it from a disc with a key.

Relax. You can't fuck up hardwares these days unless you started hammering your CPU.
I an a brainlet and everything just werked.

>when Sup Forums comes to Sup Forums

a few 1060 questions if anyone can help, its the last part I need to buy
>what brand of 1060? I've seen people say same as motherboard but ASRock doesn't seem to have a 1060. Is EVGA alright?
>1060 SSC and FTW+ are the same price, which is better?
>is it worth paying extra for in-store product replacement and for how many years?

Not too old, Fear, Dota, Emulators GCN PS2,Medal Of Honor,COD 1, Crysis, SW rogue squadron, and since market is still somehow biased towards intel i am afraid that Ryzen gets cucked like the AMD FX as the AMD GPU's on Nvidia Sponsored titles.

Does your new PC have a Wi-Fi adapter?

aye pal that's me

Its the exact same process. There is nothing to fuck up. Try reaching out of your comfort zone. Computer will scare you less if you try new shit out and you'll be able to do more on your own

>Try reaching out of your comfort zone

Ryzen has already proven itself much better than FX.

Besides, games have been "biased" towards intel because the massive majority of gamers were on quad cores, so naturally games became singlethreaded, now things are different with coffee lake and ryzen.

>ordered my 1080 to my work address so I can sign for it
>HR just announced we're all leaving early on the eta due date for a Christmas party
for FUCK sake

>Have all my parts ready and researched
>Promised myself I wouldn't buy until I finish a big project in February
>mfw

I guess its an incentive to work harder

In the mean time please post build inspo, I'm going to go full PC ricer this time and make it look flashy as af

I love this Phanteks enthoo evolv glass case

Drivers
Since you're using botnet 10 anyways just download and use driver booster 5 to update them all
It's what I do and I've never had an issue
Just make sure to be smart about the install and only do the program and not the other shit

this is the case on my build atm but I'm concerned about thermals

No it doesn't

Evga is quality shit.
Ftw means for the win. Its the better option. Though its barely noticeable gains.
Check evga warranty. They give you 3 year warranty on their GPUs. In store warrantys are kind of a scam to get more money off you

whats wrong with the thermals
why wont somebody please think of the thermals

Fuck bros.. how do I get rid of "Activate Windows" water mark? It even appears in games...

got a smile out of me - but I've read all over that the case has absolutely shit tier airflow particularly because of the top panel

This is literally me. I'm excited to give it a try but I'm also terrified.
Even these beginner friendly guides I've been watching make it sound and look easy but have this overbearing aura of "if you fuck this up, your machine is 100% fucked" on no less than 50% of the steps.

activating it would probably work

Activate windows
But I've never seen it in game before so that's strange

Cool somebody posted the Mobo size picture

Oh really? That's concerning cause I was planning on an OC

What do you think of how this guy has his shit set up? Not the same case tho

Yeah i understand now the majority will have 6+ cores/threads and devs will optimize for that, but in how much we will see truly a change and unbias? i don't really want to buy and unused piece of hardware like the AMD FX i see some games getting the Ryzen threatment but i still see Quad cores performing better than the R5's and R7's, i think in the end we can't have the perfect all around CPU, you either get a bunch of cores with low temps and IPC with no OC capabilites beyond 4.0ghz(if you're lucky) or a bunch of more expensive cores with high IPC that turns into a Housefire and burns you alive...

>You can either specialize in one area or another, or have something not as good in either that kinda meets in the middle but usually is just shit or meh tier
Whoa...

Damn the CPU world sucks...

Thanks. The only mATX board out of those is the ASrock one, right?

Me too. I'm hoping 5/6 fans will be enough to compensate. I've read that using the top as an intake can help, as exhaust tends to just bounce back off the plate. Thing is though that leaves you with just the single 140mm exhaust. Personally I think I'm still going to go for it because its my first build, I've saved for ages and I want it to be sexy. My plan is to have the 2 default fans intake, rear default moved to top with 1x be quiet high speed and then the rear being a be quiet high speed as well at a high spin.

Picture quality might be too bad, but I thought I'd give it a shot anyway.

Been having lots of problems with freezing, BSoD, and POST failure on my custom build PC. Think it's a power problem of some sort, but not 100% sure.
Decided to open up the case and clean some dust, but I think I accidentally knocked some cables out of place on the motherboard. Tried putting them back in where I thought they should go, but now it whirrs as if it's starting up but the monitor receives no signal and there's a red LED light on the PC case that wasn't there before.

Can anyone tell from pic related whether there's any cables that are obviously in the wrong place, or anything else that might be causing my problems? Tired of phoneposting desu, but too poorfag to pay for a PC repair guy

Yeah new games will be moving on to multi threading cause consoles use multi-cores and game devs can get more power by designing for multi-thread. Its the future.
m.youtube.com/watch?v=LQqjfTA3F_M
I've used this on 8 and 7 but they say it works on 10 so it probably does. It removes the watermark

Iv'e been hearing that since the FX man, i really don't know what to think of it.

>using the top as an intake
seems kind of counter-intuitive. If you're forcing cold air down against the rising hot air you're just causing turbulence and probably ruining air flow

BenQ 23.8'' LED GW2470HM
60hz
5 ms
>135€

Should I ?

You need to download or find the manual for your motherboard so you know not only where the pins for what are, but the polarity as well because for some wires it is very important. Most likely you didn't plug the wires in correctly for the front panel.
As for your freezing and other issues, make sure your drivers are always up to date and get a new PSU.

Yeah but the alternative is that hot air is basically going nowhere. I can't find it atm but I found a reddit post on the case where they had tested the pressure on the top and with 3 good fans and a rad it was the equivalent of 1x 120mm exhaust actually leaving the case

also contrary to the page, Phanteks themselves recommend top intake if you contact them about it

source pls, want to read

My windows 10 does this all the time. Just try diagnosing which you did, and disconnect from that connection. Then connect again but close the connection window while it tries to connect and let it load. If it doesn't work diagnose one more time, repeat.
Not sure why it does this, but if you do what I said it may work.

just do some digging on google with the case and reddit.
>reddit.com/r/watercooling/comments/6o29jm/anyone_else_having_airflow_issues_with_enthoo/
here's an example for you - I think you'll be fine with watercooling

Tomorrow I'm finally getting my gtx1070 to replace my old gtx260 and finally complete my new pc

Question: what's the process with the drivers in 2017? Do I do the good ol' safe mode remove all etc business? Or just install the card, and install the drivers on top of the other ones?

I mean the case still has 4.5 stars all over amazon and the like. I think even ignoring how many people with it who probably don't check temps you'd see more negatives if there were serious issues.

Yea. Although logically I should just get a high rated airflow case
Shits going to be behind my desk anyway, I'll never see it

To be honest I wouldn't even know how to install a new PSU. How much would it cost at a shop do you think?

If that's the case (no pun intended) I would get something different instead if I were out and just maximise cooling. You could have it so quiet you wouldn't even notice its there. Personally I'm displaying my first build with pride on my desk and will be gentling caressing it with a microfibre cloth every other day so I'm quite fixed on it.

I am very hardware illiterate, but I have changed my processor twice. Just watch a youtube video, atleast take a look inside the case.
If not then yeah I'm sure a shop would be glad to take your' money.

What are the differences between mobos with the same socket? Why pay $100 instead of $60?

Just do it yourself, it takes 10 minutes at the most. Watch YouTube and buy a modular PSU so there's less clutter. Everything plugs in only one way so unless you're a literal retard you can do it. Honestly even a literal retard probably could too because it needs a lot of force to fuck it up.

Just download the GeForce experience or whatever it is and it'll do it all for you when you hit go

>brand
>show-off-ery
>brand
>actual technical specs like max ram, number of various ports, card slots etc + other tiny letter limitations

To swap the CPU I'm going to have to take the entire build apart right? Because everything is connected to the mobo and I need access to that for the cooler etc

Mook. You should get a thrill out of it. It really isn't that difficult. Its just plugging things in. Take your time and don't force anything and you'll be fine.
Stop doubting the future. They're all changing architectures and using different fab techniques to work around on get greater performance with lower temps and better power consumption.
Anyways amd is starting to partner up with more devs now for better compatibility. And Intel is moving on to more cores as they're struggling to get their shit together and are left with no options. Yeah but more cores is the future.
>accidentally knocked some cables out of place
That's not particularly easy to do with a gentle brush of the hand.
Anyways I hope you learn from this experience and are more careful. Atleast now you get to learn where what cables go where
Well know its happening. As I said its the only logical progress. As I said Intel and and are going multi core. And consoles are already and will be(since amd provides Xbox and Sony with cpu/GPUs) multi core. Why would devs want to tie their own hands and fuck over the majority of consumers(console) for Intel to get better single threaded performance? Anyways ryzens actually reasonable close in single threaded too Intel
Rising hot air is actually negligible in cases with fans
That's why phantek recommend top intake. They know what they're talking about. Look up fans on YouTube then check positive and negative pressure fans PC case for more knowledge on the matter
I just finished touching myself. Don't post such things.

>now things are different with coffee lake and ryzen.
It's mostly about the fact that consoles have eight cores

You're gonna have to work out everything again then. I can tell that you're just procrastinating with your hardware "research"

Crack it using Microsoft Toolkit

>majority
Not even the majority. The vast majority will have 2c/4t or 4c/4t for a long time, considering all the hardware that's already out in the wild.

Meh, pay a little more for a good monitor

99% chance your 1070 will go unused
Monitor + CPU? You can still return it if need be.

You didn't build your PC in the first place? I'd just take everything apart and reassemble from scratch as a learning experience. Also your cable management sucks

If you're talking about LGA1151v1 vs LGA1151v2, they're the same socket but the CPUs for each aren't interchangeable
Otherwise the chipset or features (B350 vs X370)

cool thanks, way easier than it used to be

bios is a pretty big thing between brands if you plan to OC too. Obviously not the end of the world but it can make a big difference

It depends highly on how much room you've got with your motherboard but most likely no. Take off the cpu cooler and just lift the pin.

literally use a philips screwdriver and removes it and place the new one in

All I have had to do is remove the side panel, and some coolers have snap on or off. Some have 4 screws into the mobo however it is VERY easy to unscrew them. Pay attention to the arrow on the processor and make sure its aligned with the arrow mark on the socket.

>99% chance your 1070 will go unused
>Monitor + CPU? You can still return it if need be.

ryzen 1700 + some 25" ips lg monitor - i'm buying it to last as many years as possible so i don't care it it's not 100% utilized rn + monitor maybe upgraded in the future etc.

don't most coolers have a bracket bit that goes behind the mobo to screw in?

Also please tell us that you're sure the new CPU is compatible and why exactly you're changing your CPU if it's the same socket

unless you have some big fuck ass fan or some type of cooling that makes it hard to reinstall while the mobo is still in the case, than not really

I'm not not, its for the future. I'm getting a good x370 board (on sale) and a 1600x with the plan of upgrading it to Ryzen 2/3 a little down the line.

Trying to future proof a graphics card is unwise

>you didn't build your PC in the first place?

Yeah probably should have said, it's a self build, but from a random bloke on eBay rather than me. I'm not that tech savvy unfortunately, but if it's relatively easy to learn then I'd rather do that then waste money

you think? why so?

opinions?

what's it used for?

Building a PC is like buying an 8 piece Lego set that only connects in one way and has thousands of guides available for on the internet on how not to fuck up installing one way parts

The power of graphics cards is still advancing extremely rapidly
If you're not getting the full use of your card the value depreciates just as rapidly and you're not even using it
In a few months Nvidia will release the 1160/2060 (which will outperform the 1070) for $200 or so dollars
There are definitely uses for a 1070 or even a 1080Ti but a 1080p 60Hz monitor is not one of them