4k monitor thread

Who makes the best 4k monitors?

Dell seems to have some good offerings with the U2718Q and the P2715Q at reasonable prices.

LG's 32UD59-B seems kind of nice; it's a VA panel however. The 27UD line is confusing though even if some of them look nice.

Post and discuss anything related to 4k monitors/resolution. Bonus points for 4k Linux stuff

There aren't any good monitors out there right now.

I don't want 4K, I just want a 1080p IPS 144hz screen.

Honestly anything under ~38" for 4k just feels wrong. Windows is still shit for GUI scaling. I like 100% scaling and that requires 80-120PPI.

Dell has the 43" 4k P4317Q. That's ~102PPI

Why do you say that?
I thought that I wanted 3440x1440 100hz but I didn't
Well I'm looking to get two monitors and 32inchers are pushing it in terms of size, 27 seems about right physically

AYYY I got a used Dell UP2414Q 4K IPS on craigslist for 200 dollars and I FUCKING LOVE IT
BEST UPGRADE EVER
Just when you use 4K, make sure to use a high quality displayport cable, do not cheap out or you will have connection problems. I had to get 3 different kinds to get the right one.

That's so tiny for 4k how do you read anything? I thought 27 might be pushing it

No no no no... It is tiny once you switch to 4K, but upping the scaling to 200% returns it to most normal position. If you game, steam scales up too and it is clear to read everything. I'm not at home, otherwise i'd take a screenshot to show you.

I forgot to add, if you get a dell, make sure to install the driver from their website too.

What I especially like about the dell, is the super speed usb 3 ports. They even stay on if you shut the screen off. My drives are full speed 120MB/s disks.

That 40 inch 4K dell monitor is the only 4K i would consider buying t b h

But what's the point then? You don't get any added real estate at 200% scaling? It's basically just using a 1080p monitor with a slightly sharper image
cool but a little to large to be really practical I feel like

I mean if the point is to maximize screen real estate then the P4317Q would be one of the better options as you wouldn't need to do any scaling, since i think it ends up having almost the same PPI as a typical 27 inch 2560x1440 monitor
even at 32 inches 4K is annoying on the eyes without scaling, and i don't know about any 4k monitors that are between 32 inches and 40

depends what you need size wise (small sharper dpi for graphics work, or bigger with more physical space for browsing and text editing).

The LG 43UD79-B (IPS, and just dropped to ~$600) is at present the best bang/buck for coding by far.

Smaller stuff I don't know enough to have an opinion though unfortunately.

>43UD79-B

>P4317Q

The LG is identical to the Dell (same features and exact same IPS panel) but selling for $600 instead of $750.

>Windows is still shit for GUI scaling.

No it isn't. Windows 10 hidpi scaling is fine now. It's more like it's up to lazy programmers to implement hidpi support in their programs.

Never noticed how good 4k makes images look. probably going to upgrade to one soon, any suggestions?

I'm going to be building a computer soon and I'm planning on buying a p2415q and just scaling everything 2x.

>I thought that I wanted 3440x1440 but I didn't
What do you mean by this?

Wait for HDMI 2.1

>spending money on the hardware treadmill to go better than 1080p/60hz
Wasted money. Even the worthless nerds who play starcraft for a living are comfy with 1080p. Why not you?

4k has too many pixels

I didn't wan't it
why though?
I like having more pixels
Nah

ITT: idiot retards who use more than 100% display scaling resulting in blurry and enlarged images in all programs but Photoshop and select actually production level photo viewing programs

Fucking this. It's the same morons who use 50% digital vibrance in their Nvidia control panel because they "like a more vibrant image".

Fucking go back to Sup Forums if you don't want a color accurate image you fucking redditor faggots

Get one with HDMI 2.0+ (and your display adapter supports) so you can tape HPD, or get one that lets you control DP HPD otherwise you're going to hate everything forever if you run Ballmer's Botnet.

>too many pixels
No such thing.

Honestly 200% dpi scaling on my shit ass laptop with it's dumb resolution screen looks pretty good. It looks awful with stuff that isn't DPI aware (like our ~ENTERPRISE~ in-house code gen tool) and when I attach other displays at 100% resolution Windows doesn't know how to render them properly. It does multiple up and downscale passes based on the primary monitor DPI scaling. I don't understand how they even shipped this garbage.

I have the LG 27UD58P-B, I bought it on sale for $300 a few months ago.

Zero complaints really. Viewing angles are good, limited bleed, all around a solid monitor. My main complaint is that it's only 60Hz, but it'd be stupid to count that against it since it's very clear that it's only 60hz on the box.

Good for you. Nice bargain I guess +&+

>That's so tiny for 4k
dumbass

>windows problems

I have a curved Samsung 40" 4K TV as a monitor. The curve really helps with keeping the corners of the monitor easily visible.

is it the quantum dot one? How much better does it look compared to regular VA monitor?

Honestly this. The human eye can't see more than 1080p.

Bought an ASUS PB287Q 28", its coming in this week. Anyone have this monitor? Thoughts? It's my first 4k monitor.

It is though. What's the point of getting 4k monitor and scaling it into 1080p one. I literally had more work space on my 16:10 1200p monitor 10 fucking years ago.
Buying 4k monitor smaller than 32" is special kind of retarded.

>It is though.
no it's not. it's perfect

what's the point of 1080p in phones?

>Buying 4k 32" is special kind of retarded.
indeed

>no it's not. it's perfect
Yeah, 190ppi is """just perfect""". Especially considering you are not going to see shit on it unless you scale it into resolution that was popular and acceptable 10 years ago.
Are you fucking stupid? Do you enjoy having no screen space for anything other than playing gaymes and watching cartoons?

>what's the point of 1080p in phones?
I don't know. Phones are not meant for productivity. Phones are toys for adult toddlers. Computers are for work. See difference?

did you even see the post i linked

Yes, many times in fact. People post this table all the time. What is your point, and how does that change anything?

If you buy 24" 4k monitor, you are basically forced to 2x scale everything. This is nice and makes everything smooth and readable but leaves you with screen estate of shit tier 1080p monitor.
It's pointless and fucking stupid. I would actually rather just have 16:10 1200p monitor over that.
I'm not sure what part of it you don't understand.

I'm quite happy with the U2515H, if they have anything with the same size and panel quality then go for it.

>tfw 1440p
>tfw scaling issues all around

At least I'm ok with using 100% dpi scaling.

You are raping your eyes. 27" 1440p is borderline usable. 25" is unhealthy. If I were you I would start scaling it or you are going to have eye issues mid twenties.

>buy 24" 4k monitor, you are basically forced to 2x scale everything.
yes
>It's pointless and fucking stupid.
no
>I would actually rather just have 16:10 1200p monitor over that.
k

It's funny to see how much mental gymnastics poorfags can perform to justify their shit purchase.
When reality is, you just couldn't afford 32" one.

Are you just assuming he's a 14 year old?

>32 4k
buy one
i dare you

No, 20 year old college child, like 90% of neo-Sup Forums.

>Who makes the best 4k monitors?
Well, if you're looking for "the best", there's Eizo CG318-4K for the affordable price of 5400 burger dollars. And that's DCI 4K, too (4096 x 2160).

You just have bad eyes, 38" 4K is almost the same DPI as 21.5" 1080p. 15.6" is definitely enough for 1080p, so 32" should be enough for 4K.

No, you are flat out wrong. 32" 4k equals to 137 ppi, if you are using 137 ppi monitor without scaling, daily, working for X hours, I can guarantee you that next time you go for your eye checkup you will walk out with glasses prescription.
Actual sweet spot for ppi is around 90-110, above that you introduce more and more eyestrain.

gtfo of this thread soyboy gaymer

It causes no eye strain in my experience, and eye strain doesn't give you long term eye damage anyway.

>Who makes the best 4k monitors?
I think this one is kind of hard to answer because it depends... I have two 4k Asus monitors, one is a rather cheap TN "gaming" monitor and one is a more expensive IPS. The TN's obviously got really poor color-reproduction compared to the IPS.

>That's so tiny
Just set xorg's DPI to 160 if you're on 4k 27" and you'll be fine. I'll look the same as a 1080p 27" set to 82 DPI.

>But what's the point
It's more pixels. It's great for editing or just viewing pictures, videos and other content. It's real nice for all kinds of financial charts too.

>ASUS PB287Q 28"
You made a mistake buying this panel. You should consider sending it back. I realize it's not what you want to hear since it's not even arrived yet but my honest advice is to not unbox it and just return it. Why oh why would I say this? It's got a DisplayPort input and two HDMI 1.4 inputs. That's 4k 60Hz over DP and just 30Hz over HDMI. I realize that you can connect it to your computer with DisplayPort and be fine - but if you buy that new xbox or something else which only has HDMI and does 4k then you're screwed. A HDMI 1.4 port on a 4k display is like not having a HDMI port so that panel's only got one input and that's the displayport.

>In my experience
No one cares about your experience. It does cause strain and you will feel it in due time.

do you realise that you're completely disregarding many different factors, such as viewing distance? 123ppi at 3 feet is perfection to me. and we're not even talking about the size of the monitor relative to your field of view, or what you do on it (read text or play vidya), or how bright the monitor is, how well lit your environment is, or how long you spend looking at the screen without breaks.

long story short, you are retarded.

>such as viewing distance
I'm not disregarding it. I'm assuming you are sitting in proper, healthy distance away from your monitor, in which case 90-110 ppi is the sweet spot.
Anyway, 123 ppi and 137 ppi is a big difference. I actually use ~120 ppi monitor myself and find it decent too.

I have a Dell S2817Q
It's fantastic for text work, you'll never be able to go back. Not good for graphics or if you have kids / you are a kid who likes to play video games. But at the price that's fine.

if your monitor is a 60 inch TV on the other side of the room, then 37ppi is the sweet spot. do you see what i'm getting at? you can't just take one measurement and make up the rest.

>above that you introduce more and more eyestrain.
On what basis? If there's any relationship between PPI and eye strain at all, strain should go down as PPI increases at a given scaling factor. Otherwise reading text on paper would cause much more eye strain than a monitor because the resolution is much higher on paper.

fuck that stupid cock sucking faggot itt
i would ejac if i had a 24" 4k
NO NIGGER 32" is retarded for 4k just like you

i use 120 too and i hate it

I just got a 43 inch samsung TV as a monitor and it's awesome, playing games with HDR is insane. The input lag is NOT noticeable at all with game mode activated.

On basis that if something is smaller, then you need to focus harder to see it. It's actually quite simple.
Or sit closer to it, which again is not good either.