So, if our kids are supposed to be the generation of technology...

So, if our kids are supposed to be the generation of technology, why is it that school-age children have no idea how to use a computer?
A large number of kids haven't used a desktop computer in their lives. The only device they've interacted with was an iPad.
On top of this, companies like Apple are trying to push the whole "DESKTOP FOR OL GRAMPA" type of thing, and kids see that shit and now they think of desktop computers as inferior to their iPads.
If we turn a whole generation away from one of the essential tools to innovation, how will they innovate?

Other urls found in this thread:

fsf.org/givingguide/v8/
eff.org/files/2017/04/13/student-privacy-report.pdf
gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

This right here
This is why Free Software is important
fsf.org/givingguide/v8/

I'm not really complaining.
There will be no next generation of programmers to steal my job when I'm 35, my skills can't become obsolete when there's no one to make them obsolete anymore.

It's a meme spread by out of touch people that never even bothered to learn how to use programs whose interface are designed to be so simple that even a child could use it because they are afraid of not understanding (and ironically never actually get to understand anything).

Too bad free software is also shit.

You do get what you pay for.

lol that's what unlimited immigration is for racist

don't make anything just consume

>be me
>gender fluid at the taco joint with my ipad pro
>beautiful/proud/noble PoC womyn asks me a question
>my reply
>nigga what's a computer?
>end scene

I teach kids from kindergarten to 6th grade at various schools and some schools make them all have laptops. Beyond those schools plenty of kids also have desktops/a family desktop. Your concerns are largely imagined.

I do see the possibility that young kids won't understand the appeal of the desktop over the laptop but eh one is not better than another for a child.

So yeah you shouldn't just assume things because apple comes out with a stupid commercial.

My error. The apple thing and the thing about ipads wasn't related to each other. Me and my little brother talk weekly about school and shit when I come back to the house to visit my parents, and he said that they were basically donating all the desktops and laptops and replacing them with iPads. I looked it up and a lot of schools are doing the same.

THIS. I am sick of DRUMPF'S AMERICA

Yeah that's the really fuckin dumb thing about it
out-of-touch old people who don't know jack shit about anything computer-related and barely use them look at all these kids with iPads and devices they're always using and think "oh my god these kids know so much about technology!"
Meanwhile, these devices are locked-down, incredibly simple things that any person could figure out. The kids don't know anything about technology (Hence the fucking "What's a computer" Apple ad), and society doesn't notice because the meme has already been spread.

>He still thinks the "free" in free software refers to its price.

is that a boy or a girl?

A lot of schools are also using giving the kids Chromebooks now.
Yay! Every child is now part of the botnet, is conditioned to like the botnet, and will continue to use the botnet in future because it's all they know.
It makes me sick...

Well this semester I've taught at 11 schools and only two didn't have desktops (that I saw, those two could have had them in a different room).

These ranged from ritzy private schools to a school that had Big Brother Big Sister volunteers, (the BBBS school didn't have computers that I saw but I imagine if they did they were in a heavily monitored school given that it was a ghetto school).

So maybe that's your school but that doesn't seem to be the reality here (Memphis)

On top of that, a lot of families in the lower class are selling their desktops and laptops in order to get iPads/touchscreen devices, because they see no need for their computer anymore. When they birth a child and they grow up without knowing how to use windows (which was made so normal people could use a computer by the way), how are they supposed to learn about the tools they'll be using later on in life?

My brother said that a few years ago (6th grade for him) they had to do an online test, and they all went to the computer lab. There were legitimately kids who couldn't turn on their computer. They sat in front of the big scary object without a touchscreen and went blank. He said they tried turning on the monitor, and jabbed their finder at the screen.

Well, the way I look at it, this is only gonna get worse with time. As the school boards across the country stop seeing the use for desktops/laptops, they'll start getting rid of them in favor of tablets, because the kids are usually already conditioned to them.

It's apparently a serious enough problem that the EFF released a long-form report on the issue.
eff.org/files/2017/04/13/student-privacy-report.pdf

Greetings fellow Memphrican.

>Well, the way I look at it, this is only gonna get worse with time. As the school boards across the country stop seeing the use for desktops/laptops, they'll start getting rid of them in favor of tablets, because the kids are usually already conditioned to them.
Doesn't really matter what kind of computer you put in front of a Memphrican, they steal and destroy them regardless.

>Well, the way I look at it, this is only gonna get worse with time. As the school boards across the country stop seeing the use for desktops/laptops, they'll start getting rid of them in favor of tablets, because the kids are usually already conditioned to them.

I don't see it. Good schools (that are willing to experiment, like teaching kids Mandarin instead of just Spanish) love to get in on the "teach kids cs early" concept, high schools are expanding their CS offerings (just look at how AP CS has changed in the past few years), and cheap laptops that you can standardize for 4-6 years are cheaper than an ipad you're going to have to replace and redevelop for every 2 years at most.

That is a separate issue. I absolutely can believe schools that issue laptops sometimes install keyloggers or w/e to spy on the kids. 100% 0 surprise there. That's quite different than replacing laptops with ipads.

What's your favorite color? ORANGE and where ya from? MOUND. Two fingers round three fingers down

Jk I'm not poor.

You are describing people who would have bought computers only to use the internet.
They have no need for a general purpose computer, they never did.
As soon as phones OSes became smart enough to run facebook and twitter, people stopped buying computers.

Every generation has its users and developers. Only a fraction of people with desktop computers became tech savvy. Likewise, only a fraction of tablet/phone users will jailbreak/root/develop their own apps.

How do you develop mobile apps on a mobile device?
You can't.
You can't even do anything remotely useful on a chromebook without physically removing the read-only jumper on the BIOS and flashing seabios to install a real OS.

>He still thinks the "free" in free software refers to its price.
If you actually think it doesn't, I may have a friend offering to sell a dozen bridges to you right here.

Fuck apple

Leave and don't come back. You obviously haven't lurked long enough or you'd understand what free sofware is.
>inb4 I'm only pretending to be retarded

90% of the people I talk to in my school don't even have a desktop, let alone know how to use a computer. Even some of the A+ kids who deal with desktop disassembly and repair on a daily basis are pretty hopeless, and most people I talk to say they only buy laptops, I I don't know why you'd want a laptop when you plug it in all the damn time.

Bahaha I'm not pretending anything, you're the one who's retarded.

Just because they say it means something else...

gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html

Damn, I literally imagined the scene from Matrix when Neo wakes up looks at all the other people in the botnet.

Google should be stopped

What's a computer?

Now you get it
and yes they should

>If we turn a whole generation away from one of the essential tools to innovation, how will they innovate?
They won't and I think this is the end game.
This isn't only a problem with computers either, but it can be seen when looking at the big picture.
The modern young generations aren't going to provide any form of competition to people who grew up before internet became mainstream.
Ever since the social media explosion our world has been praising mediocrity and non achievements, like getting tons of attention for taking pics of your food etc.. while making it increasingly so that no one can criticize or say any mean things to you.
Throw into the mix of dumbing down computers to big colorful buttons that make things happen and giving tablets to kids right from the birth.
This leads to an unimaginative adult child who can't take any form of criticism and can't improve themselves.
These modern generations are going to consume from cradle to grave, without ever rising above the poverty line.
Maybe that's the end game.
To reduce population by turning them into oversensitive unimaginative soy filled consuming machines who will never reproduce.

Because "computers" are obsolete, gramps. Desktops are no longer needed, we can get everything done through the computers we carry in our pockets everyday, our phones. Cell Phone specs are only getting better (2018 looks to be the year of double digit RAM in phones, as well as 120HZ displays) and desktops are slowing down to a crawl in terms of tech advancements. You know that Ipad commercial that ends with the computer question, well, guess what, that is probably the realest commercial made this year, so watch it again and absorb it, because those are the times now. The future is now, old man.

Gotta love when two posts from completely opposite extreme sides of an argument are right next to each other.

Show me how to develop a mobile app on a mobile device.

I'm waiting.

Yes there will, as OP is wrong. STEM is only growing in schools. All the high schools in my area have computer science courses (one has a digital electronics class) and I live in deep south.

>Just because they say it means something else...

You probably think the media doesn't lie either, don't you?

What argument are you even trying to make?
You can sit down an actually read the text of free-software licenses, if you'd like. They make it pretty explicit what they do and don't mean by "free".

code.org doesn't count as computer science

Stupid people will always be stupid. This will never change.

non-binary, clearly

I sold my computer months ago, and only use my Nexus tablet and my iPhone.

The only thing I miss is videogames, everything else I can do on my devices.

What's the big fucking deal?

My little sister was born in the computer age and she's a total retard when it comes to anything computer related. She even got one of those "you're computer is infected with a terrible virus!" popups and actually called someone and sent money to them. Even my mother called her a fucking retard.

Some people are just retards that don't know how to use technology. Other people can learn and adapt.

Free software actually can have a price. See RHEL.

You're basically paying for their tech support. CentOS is the same fucking thing.

Knowing how to use all this shit from a young age doesn't mean you're going to just know how it actually works. Also this is murica, our education system is supposed to suck.

>a warranty/support agreement means you're paying for freetard os
Lmaooooo

You're paying to download too. It's just you also get the source code and tech support.

Kids these days need to start with DOS. Get kindergarteners started on DOS and let them graduate to Windows when they learn the basic commands. Fail and they never progress from kindergarten.

You can go on piratebay and get the source code as well as installers.

Lmao

By that definition all software is free. Which is bullshit and you know it.

>DOS
Why not something easer like Unix?

No, they must emulate my childhood. It is the best way.

Because the people who are pushing "technology" into kids lives are just as clueless about it as everyone else.
I have had access to computers all my life.
I didn't have one at home for a long time, but we had a computer lab at school since I was 6.
We were supposed to be taught about how to use them, but looking back, our teachers were clueless.
I remember it very clearly that one student hit caps lock and the teacher freaked out and eventually restarted the computer to get rid of it.
So the fact that they give kids ipads today is not that concerning to me.
The majority of people will not go into programming.
If they can make reports, spreadsheets and presentation, who the fuck cares how they do it?
I don't think ipads are very useful for any of these tasks, but in a few years, maybe OCR is so fast that handwriting becomes a decent way to write on ipads.

>Good schools (that are willing to experiment, like teaching kids Mandarin instead of just Spanish) love to get in on the "teach kids cs early" concept, high schools are expanding their CS offerings
Sounds like private schools, not public

Being supposed to be something and having a passion for it are two very different things. Also, the difficulty of entry leads to learning how to operate a computer. If there is no learning curve then no one will ever learn anything. I was at a hackathon at a nearby university this year and even the savviest pajeets didnt know what keyboard shortcuts are or the fact that you can actually free up disk space by emptying the fucking recycling bin. By the time I was their age I was already freelancing and making small dough on shitty html/flash websites and troubleshooting networks at my uncles firm. Im pretty sure its all because I had to learn to deal with problems - hardware and software, just to have a relatively smooth computing experience. Meanwhile my nephew is clueless why he has framedrops in some videogames and spends hundreds of his parents' dollars on smartwatches instead of getting an ssd and a gpu with more vram. Anyway, my point is, the world is fucked.

>Even my mother called her a fucking retard

Largely, yes, but not entirely. I can think of one public school here that does the same, as it has a regular track and a "gifted" track

from this thread I gather that most kids are stupid to deal with damn computers and can't solve their own problems by themselves, I mean simple problems

Desktop computers are obsolete, get with the times gramps.

Humanity is fucked

Imagine raising a tumblerina in your own home

Is that in the US? Because it sounds like it would get shut down pretty quick on grounds of "discrimination"... A sad state of affairs

yep. The gifted portion sends tons of people to ivy leagues every year, the traditional program is lucky to reach higher than a state school.

Again y'all have some pretty inaccurate ideas about what actually happens at educational facilities.

because of this I really wouldn't want to give my kids anything more than a old desktop running some abstract linux distribution without a GUI

>the future is now, old man
>says increasingly desperate man for 25th time this decade

>4 year cs grads wasting their time as programmers
l m a o i n g

my public school had shit like this, granted it was in a very affluent area.

One of the teachers just got charged with CP though...

Desktop is obsolete. Countess scientific ztudies have shwn that smartphones arz more efficient even for programming. Stop pushing uour granny meles, Op.

>Desktop is obsolete. Countess scientific ztudies have shwn that smartphones arz more efficient even for programming. Stop pushing uour granny meles, Op.

Can you show me where it says that free software developers can't charge money for software they work on? I can't seem to find it

Meant for

My cousin wants a desktop but his stupid parents don't a phone is all he needs
I had a desktop when I was 10 new generations are doomed

Terrifying

One is an plausible argument, the other is just a big fallacy.

What are you doing here then?

This.

Exactly. Our society is treating kids like complete retards. Todays parents are doing everything for them, instead of teaching the importance of responsibility.

>Be me
>Transsexual trans-nigger at KFCs with some guy's iPad pro
>White/supreme/not-kang white cop asks me a question
>My reply
>SHIIEEEEEEET NIGGER WHADDAFUK YO ASS BE TALKIN ABOUT JAIL?

LOL he actually took the bait!

>Granny melees

...but she literally is retarded
people forget what the word actually means