Convincing my boss PHP sucks

>be me
>Just employed as a programmer
>In a development team for a web app
>Boss is a fucktard and is dead set on using PHP without any framework but a bunch of pajeet WordPress libraries
>Won't listen to us cause he read on some pajeet site that PHP "is the fastest programming language"
How do we convince him to let us work on node.js, django or something more flexible since we'll have to maintain this stuff?

Other urls found in this thread:

techempower.com/benchmarks/#section=data-r13&hw=ph&test=db
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Quit your job

>the fastest programming language
>PHP
Lmao

Show relevant benchmarks you codelet

50% of your job is being nice to the right people. Just shut the fuck up and do what your boss tells you to.

He's not the boss of the whole company, just the head of our department. He's probably gonna make us do the shitty thing and then blame us because we can't do a good and maintainable app with PHPajeet.

Question: Why does everyone hate PHP?

your boss might be a tard, but
>choosing js over php
you are also one.
do what you are told or find another job, monkey

It's not JS, it's Node.js + Express that is by far better performing, more scalable and solid than plain Php.

This.
PHP wouldn't suck so bad if you could use a framework with it.

PHP is just a tool and how maintainable the code is depends on you. If you can't write maintainable PHP I doubt you can do it in any other language.

Shit thread as OP probably won't have a chance.

But let's change it to: why would you use node.js or django over php?

>Wants to use NuMale.js or Python
You're just as stupid as he is
And you're not a programmer. You're a framework jockey.
>>>/wdg/ is your designated ghetto. Stay there brainlet

/thread

Suck it up for a while and look for a new job. Some idiots are incorrigible.

The only thing you've said that's really true in a nearly absolute sense is that Node scales better. PHP isn't a great language but Node is not the silver bullet that people think it is. My main gripe with php is that it's so hard to debug shit. It's not easy to just log to a console and see what's going on, which sucks balls.

Node with express is pretty much as lean of a framework as you can imagine. It doesnt enforce any kind of orderliness and your code can end up just as unmaintainable as frameworkless php code.

The "Solid" thing is also questionable. Node is much more brittle than php/apache. When you deploy you will probably be using a task runner like pm2 instead of just upstart or the new ubuntu 16.04 service manager (forgot the name).

The single threaded concurrency model for Node means that if *ALL* your business requirements are transactional in nature (just read/write from db and forward information) then you get a huge performance gain. But if even one of the things your app has to do involves heavy server side computation, that thing needs to be done in something-other-than-node. The main reason why node is faster than php is because in php (as long as most older frameworks / older languages) 1 socket = 1 thread. In node, sockets get served from a threadpool so you can serve many more connections with the same hardware. However this model is also available in other languages that are much more robust. I believe Java's undertow (the most performant framework in existence last I looked) offers the ability to do the same thing node does but since it's a more robust language, you can do much more. You can have an endpoint that does heavy computation in Java and spin up your own thread for it, which you will have a hard time doing in node (have to rely on 3rd party, flimsily supported webworker implementations for node)

I'm sure you're a true alpha redpilled man and do web development in assembly. Oh right, you don't do web development, you're busy fapping on your desktop thread in your mom's basement.

you have a job now and don't work in back of your attic on your so called startup, its part of your job to do what you're told to,

Our server literally only reads and writes from/to a database...

So stuff has changed since last I looked. C++'s ulib is the most performant one right now. techempower.com/benchmarks/#section=data-r13&hw=ph&test=db

It also depends on the nature of what youre doing. Check out those various charts in there. Most high performance frameworks dont have the same depth of community of something like, say, rails. Even though rails performance is balls, it's still worth learning/using IMO.

Then node is a fine choice, especially the new LTS with async await support. There is no more need for code nesting so all the idiots who bash node can stfu. Yet there's still the flexibility to do several things in parallel with promises and Promise.all.

But don't think that a node/express server is going to be inherently maintainable code. It won't. If you can't write maintainable code yourself in php, you won't write maintainable code in Node.

I don't do web development: period. I have a real job.
I unironically have more respect for trashmen than webdevs. They clean up messes instead of creating them.

It's not that I can't write maintainable code in PHP or expect that node is magically gonna be clean and tidy, I just really like it's use of concurrency and callbacks (which is faster than PHP 7 since it doesn't need extra bloat while we stay on the main thread) and dislike PHP's syntax.

Installing Gentoo on that old thinkpad you got on ebay is not a "real job", Steve...

Node.js/PHP isn't even web development in it's meme meaning, that's people who only do HTML and call themselves programmers when they're just scribbling pages. Server side development is one of the most legit CS jobs.

Nothing wrong with good PHP as a platform, but writing shit without a framework, or worse attempting to use wordpress or a CMS as an application platform is just pants on head retarded.

Have your boss call me and I'll set him straight.

You are the reason why this community sucks. You are the reason why your boss, or your boss's boss can't even type or create a folder, or create a pivot table and they think that's fine because they can just "pay someone technical for that stuff." You are a royal fucking idiot and you should go fuck yourself. Go be miserable in your lonely life while thinking everyone around you is such a retard, when in reality it's you who doesn't get ahead and you probably don't even make $120k with all your amazing genius. Go back to whatever low-level of functional programming cult you're from, fuckhead.
And enjoy making half the money I make because the world needs web devs and whatever you can code, I can code too. I just choose to not be a fucking moron and go where the money is.

Not OP btw.

This.

PHP is only decent for toy scripts without a framework, by the time you introduce a framework you're better off with any other framework

There are no bad programming languages, only bad programmers.

You didn't say this in that Rust hate thread huh?

wrong

>I'm a buttmad soyboy who puts together lego blocks of code for a living and calls himself a "dev"
>I brag to anonymous posters about how much I make even though I live in some bugman hive where half my paycheck vanishes towards rent anyway
>I feel a deep surge of resentment whenever somebody mentions functional programming because deep down I know that I never really got recursion when it was introduced for 20 minutes at my coding bootcamp
LOL u mad sweetie

It's awesome how Scala/Haskell acolytes reveal themselves so easily

Stay mad, Node Ninja. Maybe when whatever startup is employing you at the moment goes under in the next three months, you'll finally have time to read SICP.

thistbqfhfammy