His browser can't stream AV1 (next-generation patent-free codec backed by Google, Cisco, and Xiph) video

>his browser can't stream AV1 (next-generation patent-free codec backed by Google, Cisco, and Xiph) video

laughing_sluts.png

demo.bitmovin.com/public/firefox/av1/

Other urls found in this thread:

licensing.x264.org/en/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

> backed by Google, Cisco, and Xiph'
i'll pass

>codec: av1.experimental.aadbb0251996c8ebb8310567bea330ab7ae9abe4
ayy lmao
kys

H.264 or bust.

Fuck the fads.

Nigga, you already get H.265 or VP9 (both post-H.264 codecs) if you watch anything from Netflix or YouTube these days.

>by Google, Cisco, and Xiph
Botnet codec

Apart from the demo, can you give an example of any website that uses AV1?

What happened to Daala?

Efforts merged into AV1.

Except... It's the opposite. It's going to be the only open-source patent-unencumbered codec that's competitive with other modern codecs. With the added benefit that, unlike previous free codecs, this one has a lot of big names behind it and will likely get pervasive hardware support.

AV1/Opus is going to be great.

>YouTube
Um, no you don't. youtube-dl reports H.264/AAC for literally every video I've tried, without exception.

And fuck Netflix, that's paid shit.

>Opus
OH PLEASE NO

YouTube maintains H.264 versions for Safari users. Recent versions of youtube-dl will download VP9 by default if you ask for best version.

Because youtube-dl is retarded sometimes. If you check the list manually, H.264/AAC always best - not to mention least transcoded.

What don't you like about Opus? If you'd just rather AV1/FLAC, remember that in most circumstances you're trying to fit the most perceptive quality into a fixed average bitrate. In this case, it is objectively better to sacrifice lossless audio for transparent Opus, and use the bitrate savings for video.

If you're streaming fucking 4K/HD video there is NO reason to save measly bits on audio quality!
And unlike video, lossless audio is a thing so you don't even need to bother with improved codecs.

>If you check the list manually, H.264/AAC always best
>more bitrate = better
Go back to MPEG-2 then

>not to mention least transcoded.
>implying the chain everything

then don't save and use the same bitrate as aac.
what's wrong with you?

Remember that videos, like audio, are encoded with variable bitrate. That means that the bits you save on audio can be spent on video where it most needs it. Obviously this is only the case if the video isn't already approaching transparent; there are diminishing returns of course.

But it remains true that you can encode transparent audio at significantly below lossless bitrates, while truly transparent video encodes are usually prohibitively large.

Consider also the case of encoding for a max file size, like webms for Sup Forums. In this case, you might want to encode an arbitrary long video into a fixed size, rather than fixed bitrate like you'd want for streaming. In cases like this, where you simply can't encode the audio losslessly because it would exceed your max file size, AV1/Opus is extremely attractive.

>more bitrate = better
No you idiot, the other formats often have higher bitrates but when you try downloading them the quality turns out significantly worse.
>implying the chain everything
Nobody uploads in said formats. MP4 is the standard for video.

Also the other transcoders aren't nearly as good as the H.264 one anyways.

Say it with me.....
OPUS is for streaming
FLAC is for archiving

>2017
>Divx is still the best codec

embarrassing

FLAC should be used everywhere!

It should be mandated somehow...

>laughing_sluts.png
Here you go

>mpv doesn't play av1 stream

This may surprise you, but I have a friend that still uses dialup (he lives in Appalacia). If our voice server used FLAC he couldn't participate. Thank goodness for Opus.

he said png you dumbass

Maybe it would force Luddites like him to upgrade

That's because ydl defaults to h264, you can select vp9 with -f.
For example, I use:
bestvideo[ext=webm][height

nice quads

Apparently you didn't read the part where I stated HE LIVES IN FUCKING APPALACHIA. He's no luddite, he lives in an area so population sparse that infrastructure isn't even considered to be built. He has no cable, no fiber, and no 4G. Don't you dare recommend Hughesnet, the latency is infinitely lower on dialup.

I don't trust to Google, Cisco as well. And no idea the fuck is Xiph.
So why should I use it? There's plenty of codecs that will last long and more secure/reliable.

Then he should do one of the following:
1. Invest in a new ISP, like many will be doing now that NN is dead anyways
2. Stop voice chatting over the Internet
3. Move

It's ludicrous that downgrading audio quality for everyone is even considered an actual option.

Read you fucking idiot

>Invest in a new ISP, like many will be doing now that NN is dead anyways
>It's ludicrous that downgrading audio quality for everyone is even considered an actual option.

Opus supports dynamically negotiated bitrate, so with proper software support, only his friend would be getting diminished audio quality.

>1. Invest in a new ISP, like many will be doing now that NN is dead anyways

Google suspended Google Fiber because of the intense lobbying by existing telcos were making permits incredibly difficult to get, and telcos were also sabotaging rollout by bribing construction companies and contractor unions to drag their feet on Google Fiber construction jobs.

How do you think other companies will fare in getting into the ISP racket if Google, with its massive army of lobbyists, lawyers, and PR experts, got BTFO this hard by Verizon, Comcast, Charter, and AT&T?

No, his point is OPUS, regardless of bitrate, isn't enough cause it's not lossless. Loseless or nothing. There couldn't possibly be a usage case scenario that merits lossy audio compression. Gotta have full frequency spectrum coverage, even for frequencies you can't hear or aren't even being spoken.

>Gotta have full frequency spectrum coverage, even for frequencies you can't hear or aren't even being spoken.
You don't even know what lossy audio is, do you?

My dude, I get what you are trying to say, but you don't know what you're talking about. The problem in your scenario lies with the municipal government giving sole access to a utlity polls or underground corridors to a single contracted provider. This has nothign to do with net neutrality. Repeat with me "THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH NET NEUTRALITY." This is all local zoning bullshit. You want to stop this behavior, it will require regulation on the local government level, not federal.

>You don't even know what lossy audio is, do you?
You figured me out. Guess all that Musepack tuning was for nothing.

only if you are using shit browser

Quads of autism.
I'd pay to watch your sad life.

apparently firefox doesn't either

>inb4 nightly
I don't bug test for free, soyboy

It literally says to use it on nightly.

>youtube-dl reports H.264/AAC for literally every video I've tried
why are you lying?

>MP4 is the standard for video.
(You)

>isn't included in furryfox Quantcumâ„¢
Fuck them. I'm not downloading a second browser just so I can watch that one video.

>S-STOP VOICE C-CHATTING OVER A P-POOR CONNECTION
>he lives in the fucking mountains
>T-THEN M-MOVE!!!!!!
holy fuck dude. no wonder people still use .mp3 for music. audiophiles are annoying as fuck.

pajeetware

>>Divx is still the best codec
(You)

>AV1 isn't working on my browser
>IT MUST BE THOSE DAMN FUCKING PAJEETS

is that really the only thing you took from my picture?

>MP4 is the standard for video.

>i have no reading comprehension

yes, it shows

it definitely does

>Expects cutting edge technology to work on Linux

Here, I will help you:
>MPEG-DASH Adaptive Streaming with AV1 by >>>>>>MOZILLA>>>>>FIREFOX NIGHTLY>>>UP TO DATE

Braindead desu.

it does work, i purposefully made it not work to see if i could trigger someone

>he has no fucking clue that >>>>>>>>>maybe>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>downgrade

Nigga, I never said it has anything to do with NN. I just said incumbent telcos made it impossible to start a new ISP in any big way, even Google with its unlimited money couldn't do it.

youtube-dl does not do any transcoding, only rewrapping depending on the stream type.

>are encoded with variable bitrate
Not always the case.

>please try Nightly
>don't bug test for free, soyboy
>hur apparently firefox stable doesn't work either dur

Anyone else bummed these streaming technologies solely rely on javashit.

But it doesn't. The screenshot is literally what I got from using latest stable Firefox

He meant least transcoded by youtube

>as good as the H.264 one anyways.
>he thinks google uses x264
Top kek

haha, nice meme my friend! upvoted!

Wont be used for anything but first amendment videos and cam whores due to no support and no drm

>least transcoded
There's no such thing, you retard.

What?
licensing.x264.org/en/

Netflix and YouTube have both committed to using AV1 when support is fully enabled on Chrome and Android devices.

AV1 does allow DRM.

what?

>(((next-generation)))
>supported by (((Google))), (((Cisco))), and literally who
>but only on one browser's dev branch

You can build Chrome with AV1 enabled if you build it yourself with certain flags enabled. AV1 support in Chrome is not ready to ship yet in Canary.

what?

>literally who

wont work with idevices so it's going to take forever

>look he found one 720p video posted in 2008 with less than 10,000 view (low views and low resolution mean Google will not bother transcode them after the fact to VP9)

I don't understand, why not just use VP9?

i can cherrypick too, you know

It's filtered you dumb dumb. The video has been uploaded just yesterday.

>with less than 10,000 view

>backed by Google,
no

> hulu
> hu lu
> lu hu
> literally who

This is VP10 you moron.

VPx is dead.

> The screenshot is literally what I got from using latest stable Firefox
> latest stable Firefox
Use Nightly, you mongoloid.

works_on_my_machine.av1

>backed by Google
What happened to their vp8/9 meme? Why AV1 now

AV1 is VP10 + Daala + the codec work of all the other companies and organizations involved. Open source and patent unencumbered.

>Musepack tuning
Okay you're just an audiofool. Opinion discarded.

>botnet literally integrated into your mp4 files
Can't make this shit up.

VP9 was competitive with modem codecs, AV1 is ahead of all of them

Became a research codec with some of its stuff picked up for AV1, Thor had the same fate
VP10 became the basis for AV1

It's mostly for Android and iOS users