Why aren't you stockpiling Windows XP laptops? So people may need them in a future...

Why aren't you stockpiling Windows XP laptops? So people may need them in a future, and are willing to pay a premium for it.

What the fuck is that?

Wrong image, meant to post the hardware itself.

While Step 7 Microwin will install in Windows 7, getting communication drivers to work properly might prove difficult.

Literally every botnet is powered by shitty unsupported XP machines in China.

You think this type of equipment won't be upgraded?

Also what the fuck does it even do?

An incomplete plc program.

It lets you control outputs based on inputs.

I don't get it. What inputs? What outputs?

What does it actually DO?

Microwin lol? OP works with S7 200 CPU?

PLC Brufist

It's a programmable logic controller used to control all kinds of equipment, from robots to factory machines.

It’s pretty much exactly like an Arduino that’s used to automate/control industrial processes. Instead of programming it with c++ you use ladder logic.

Step7 is the “ide” of Simens PLC’s

To add to this, a plc will have multiple inputs, outputs, and it’s own cpu. You can for example, hook the output of an electrical thermometer to the input and write some ladder logic code that can control a heater in its output based on the code and any inputs that may be implemented like switches and push buttons.

>impliyng I don't have already a bunch of this motherfuckers

Most people that are forced to work with XP only software is into them for years

TOF=Time Off Delay. HIGH Signal on I0.0 starts ist. After I0.0 turns to a low signal, the output of the TOF will be High for 5s.
50x100ms.

I'm a junior german Electronics Technician. Not OP

Btw. Virtualization will make it work. No physical XP Laptops needed.

>Why aren't you stockpiling Windows XP laptops

Because my new laptop running windows 10 can run an XP virtual machine just fine.

There's a thing called virtual machine and even if you plu shit like that on it and have the right OS / Drivers it will recognize it.

Nah, USB to COM adapters arent perfect and there is a lack of physical com ports on new laptops.

While you will be able to make a connection it is often unstable compared to an actual WinXP laptop.

i have some but not for selling. old pcs do not have botnets in them and you cant even flash the bios without a floppy.. now you, a virus or rat can do it from windows

How is the latency of XP vs windows 7?

Because I'm stockpiling desktops and keeping the laptops for myself.

Virtual Machine + Windows 10 doesn't mean you can use legacy devices properly.

USB to RS232 doesn't work like the original and can't provide the current required to drive some serial devices through USB.
USB to Centronix parallel doesn't work like that either, since they are usually limited to printing support only because USB cannot pull many of the interesting and often useful functions of actual parallel ports, such as pulling an interrupt directly or DMA.
USB to PS2 adapters don't work as well as we'd like either, as they often simply cannot provide enough current to drive many PS2 devices.

In short, industrially Windows XP's simpler use of hardware makes it a good choice for automation since it can easily control custom external hardware without the use of special software or a mess of converters, and when used in the office it helps to prevent employees from playing games or watching Netflix at work, as it often isn't supported to do these things.

>Virtual Machine + Windows 10 doesn't mean you can use legacy devices properly.

Yes it does, if you have proper virtual machine software. I use a dongle that has no support in Win 10 at all, but on my XP virtual machine it does what it needs to do. I can see a potential problem if the application requires hardware ports that are not available on the host system, apart from that, what would stop me?

The only issue I have with VMs is the hardware side, sometimes you just have to have an old system to interface with old hardware. Even modern computers that somehow managed to ship with "legacy" ports usually don't support passthru or over half the functions they once held.

Other than that, I just don't like Windows 10 out of personal preferences. I feel that needing an external application to simply turn off automatic updates is bullshit as it is, without jumping into the whole botnet garbage. Windows 10 won't let some programs run in 640x480 fullscreen, which is a problem for me because many programs I use actually need this functionality.

My only XP laptop has a failing orange backlight and the battery latch fell off.

>. I use a dongle that has no support in Win 10 at all,
Same. Allen-Bradley software on Windows7 VM.