/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and _monitor_ suggestions; click on the blue title to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

If you want help:
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs:
>NO i5 7500/7600K or i7 7700/K. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY COFFEE LAKE
>G4560/G4600 for non-gaming (light tasks) or bare minimum gaming builds with a dedicated graphics card
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (best with OC + fast RAM)
>R5 1600 / i5 8400 - Great gaming or multithreaded use CPUs
>R7 / Used Xeon / Threadripper / i7 - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Mixed use

RAM:
>Current CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000-3200 MHz is ideal
>Before buying RAM for Ryzen, check your Mobo's QVL or look for user reports

Graphics cards:
>Consider Vega 56 for a Freesync monitor
>Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon)
1080p
>GTX 1050Ti and 3GB 1060 are the only reasonably priced cards; 6GB 1060 or 4GB 580 if you want to overpay a little
>GTX 1070 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070/Ti and 1080 are standard choices; currently overpriced
>GTX 1080Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
2160p (4K)
>GTX 1080Ti

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 240GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor

Previous:

Other urls found in this thread:

lg.com/us/monitors/lg-24MP59HT-P-led-monitor
pcpartpicker.com/list/Vftmnn
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157757
pcpartpicker.com/list/w4m87h
pcpartpicker.com/list/6hxYVY
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

first for bitcoin will drive GPUs up to over 1k

reposting because I didn't realize the last thread was so far along:

anyone here tried / succeeded in installing windows 7 on coffeelake chips? looking for advice. I've done my research and it seems relatively simple. already have my bootable USB windows 7 with USB 3.0 / NVME drivers slipstreamed in. just waiting for my parts to get here

I thought IPS Screens were bad for gaeming?

lg.com/us/monitors/lg-24MP59HT-P-led-monitor

Is this a meme? MBR?

I've seen someone on PCBG that's done it on an 8400 and said it wasn't too difficult but I've never tried it myself

pcpartpicker.com/list/Vftmnn
check this shit, i'm probably going to regret this

No, that would be a misconception at best. Many high-end gaming monitors are IPS.

>8600k
>1070
>1080p 60hz
>Mini card
Are you retarded

No one farms bitcoins with GPUs anymore

You need a 1070 to do ultra on the latest AAA games. 1060 6GB doesn't cut it anymore.

Uhh I'd say the contrary and that 4k medium usually looks better than 1080p ultra.

Ultra still looks shit in 1080p on most games because you have all those fucking jaggies. The anti aliasing with deferred renderers is SHIT.

multithread not multicore.
It's Ryzen's SMT and such that's much better.

Get a 1050 over a 960.
No it's not worth it. Not even worth $60.
And hell I'd even recommend a 1050Ti over a 970. Even though on average the 970 is faster, there are times where the 970 shits the bed and is worse while costing more.

Best call, imo, for this situation is to wait a few months for the desktop version of the Ryzen 2700U, and then once GPUs are actually affordable to upgrade then.
The graphics perf should be close to 50% higher than the mobile version (10% more CUs, and 30-45% higher clocks), and obviously higher base clocks on the CPU, plus the benefits of single CCX.

Win10 is honestly better in most ways. Other than the start menu bug and the spyware (which win7 also has), it works well.

They used to be due to lower response times and ghosting. Newer IPS are very good.

not as retarded as your comment

Ultra looks no different than "very-high" or equivalent setting on pretty much every game.
Ultra just makes the game run worse, not look better.

1060 6GB or RX570 are all you need for 1080p.

get an 8400
nh-d15 cooler
get 3200 RAM
HD is small but if you don't need it bigger then it's whatever
1070 shouldn't be a mini and zotac is probably the lowest brand
keyboard and monitor are pretty shitty

If you overclock a 1060 6GB there may be a couple games where you have to turn down a couple settings that barely make it look better and rape your card
The 1070 is way overkill, and so is the 8600k when anything with 6 cores will fet you to 60 fps without stutter.
Mini cards are also noisy and don't overclock well.

Not to mention you put a fucking mITX board in an ATX case what the fuck

Thank you for actual constructive criticism. I know the monitor and keyboard are pretty low end, but that only because I don't really care to much about that. and 8400 is amazing for its pricing, and I have been considering it. Thank you for the cooler and RAM advice

Is an R7 1800 and an 1080Ti a retarded build to do?

Whats a good mobo to go with an i5 8600k?
Upgrading from an i5 3570k.
Don't need anything too fancy like built in wifi. Would like to be able to overclock.

not rlly I would buy a more high end gpu bc ryzens aren't as good in gaming performance

The 1800x is not worth over the 1700 unless you can get it for below $350.
Yes, it would be a good build.

Nope.

He is never going to bottleneck his CPU before his GPU provided he is playing at the adequate res a 1080ti can do (1440p above 60fps or 4k)

Its fine, bc ryzens are not as good for gaming, but I would buy a 1070 ti

Learn to spell.
Ryzens don't perform as well in games, but they do come close. If it's a 4k setup then Ryzen performs identically to Coffee Lake because of a GPU bottleneck.

Is this true?

Gigabyte AORUS

Newegg is currently selling the 1800x for $320, and I have been really wanting to build a new computer for a while now.

So with the whole Ryzen vs Coffee Lake debate, what are the pros and cons of each one, and what tasks are they best suited for?

if there is one thing reddit is good for its r/intel and amd having detailed lists of both companies own failings and espionage

yin short, es, but the guy writing is stupid if he things Intel is the demon incarnate and thinking amd is gods saving grace on earth, going amd will not necessarily make things 'better' they are both companies and I will bet my left nut that if amd was in intel's position they would do the exact same thing.

I did it before but I can't seem to get a successful run of windows on my PC. Why am I turning retarded? If I don't find a copy of win 10 with an activator (or regardless) do I need to use a separate activator when offline? I always have the internet go out within half an our because of DNS connection errors

Yes. But AMD isn't the saint saving us from intel either.

Just go buy a gray market key for 25 dollars if you are so retarded. Otherwise use the correct activator.

np, the monitor and keyboard are low end and it'll cost you a lot to have a low end monitor if you're getting a 1070 it's really a waste. get a 1440p monitor or a 1060 6GB if you're only going for decent 1080p gaming and not trying to go on ultra. as for a keyboard, go get a razer blackwidow ultimate stealth open box or something off amazon for $50 if you can and you'll have it last much longer
8400 is amazing but it's almost impossible to find it in stock so you'll likely need to try to preorder it on amazon or something and be prepared to wait until after new years to get it.

wish the fucking fanboyism on either side would go away. They're both just competitors that want our money and we should support the one that gives the objectively best options for our uses at the given time. I'm glad AMD are back in the cpu game because its good for consumers, but it isn't so out of altruism.

Yes, AMD got over a billion dollars from them because of unfair competition like that.
The Ryzen 1200 and 1400 compete with the 8100, and the 12000 matches it while the 1400 wins by a bit in multicore because of SMT.
The 8400 has an edge on the 1600 in single-core, but also loses in multicore because the 1600 has SMT.
The 8600k beats all of Ryzen 7 in single-core by a clear margin, but also loses in multicore by the same amount.
The 8700k also beats them by a clear margin in single core but matches them in multicore.

They are back in the CPU game but completely out of the GPU game. And while Nvidia are a bunch of cunts, they aren't as shady as intel so people aren't so inclined to support AMD over Nvidia for moral high ground. Which isn't good for us.

I'm planning on building a computer for an MS in CS program where I'll be specializing in machine learning. I expect they'll give me AWS/university cluster time when I need it, but for home use wha't the best performing card for this under $300 with decent Linux support?
Should I be looking at things more powerful than a 1600 for graduate level CS coursework?
Also what hardware should I be targeting for running a couple VMs at once? RAM?

Less important: has anyone switched from multiple monitors to one ~40 inch 4k? I've been thinking of doing it so I'm not tempted to have non-work on side screens.

Vega would have been a great move by AMD, but because of crypto mining nobody acrually got to buy it.
The power consumption is also pretty damn high.

Drop to i5 8400 and 6GB 1060 or get a 144Hz monitor
Get fast RAM
Get the 850 in the m.2 form factor

>jaggies
Shimmer is the bane of my gaming existence. Honestly not sure what I have to do to get rid of it. Even cranking up AA is unsatisfactory

If you're at 1440p 144Hz it's fine although I'd get a Coffee Lake CPU at that budget unless you just want to support AMD (which is fine since the 1800x has come down in price and AMD is cool)

Too much to explain here

R3 1200 is below i3 8100
R5 1400 is above or below the i3, depending on game. Mostly below.

I just finished my new build and shoved every old HDD i've owned in there because the case is gigantic

How do I know if an old drive is reliable or not? Some of them are a bit slower than the others and i'll work towards replacing them with new drives soon, but is there a tool to measure how close to failure/worn out a drive is?
I don't remember the order that I bought them in or exactly how old they all are

People would buy it if there was stock available. But there is a shortage on reference cards and AIB cards aren't on sale yet and it is about to be December already. Vega clearly shat the bed for multiple reasons, cryto mining only being one of them.

Vega would still be a competitive option even with the raised prices if they just had some non-jet engine cards out. The cost of high end freesync monitors is significantly less than gsync. I really took a long time to decide between it and a 1080 myself. Remember the US isn't the only market in the world, and in many euro cunts + aus I know that vega even now is a very good option if it weren't for the noise/temps.

>>G4560/G4600

Yeah. It is called S.M.A.R.T. Go look it up.

The 1200 can overclock to match the 8100. Granted, you need a mid-range cooler, but that's still less in total because the 1200 and B350 cost less than the 8100 and Z370 by a significant margin.

exactly, though as much as I have been an intel supporter, I appreciate amd's existence as well because... competition. and I just want there to be real technological gains in the cpu market from both sides, no matter who I or you root for, we all win in the end and thats what matters

get crystal disk info and check every disk

At this point in time you are better off waiting for volta or the AMD refresh.

Just run an internet search on HDD health.

>The power consumption is also pretty damn high
As usual. I've heard it speculated that AMD can't separate its gaming and professional/compute chips, but I don't really believe it.

>The 1200 can overclock to match the 8100
Not in games, at least that I've seen. 7z decompression, yeah.

> True, thank you again for the advice, but the 8400 is not nearly as rare as an 8600k and 8700k, still im glad people went and bought the cpu's, as long as we dont end up with another kaby lake. I think Newegg still has them in stock

I got a 1080 for $180 kangaroos less than Aus prices on black friday so I'm happy. I combined it with a good x370 board and a 1600x (which I also got on sale) so that next year if the new lines blow it all out of the water I can swap in Ryzen 2 + volta. For now, coming from a 13" laptop I've used for 4 years, I think its safe to say I will be satisfied with what I have.

Damn right. Nice little chip.

About the 1200, it performs a couple percentage point worse when using a 1080 or 1080ti, but realistically you wouldn't be using anything more expensive than a 1060 6GB, and that's pushing it. The difference would likely cease to exist.

>D15 for a locked chip
That's way overkill

Will RAM ever get cheaper?

Don't want to spend $100 for just 8 GB! Literally $12 per gig of rams.

Not anytime soon
Prices will only rise

nope. not until someone does what needs to be done and holds the Samsung and SK Hynix exec's Korean daughters hostage

as long as they get culturally enriched
also someone could also just make a shit ton of money by offering an alternative product to expand the supply. Same thing with GPUs. But I guess manufacturing is slow to respond to the need for more marginal production.

>have to personally message seller about sending package because seller actually hasn't even sent package even though it's already 3 days after the latest estimated received time

Those Koreans own patents for practically every part of the process and current technologies. Even without considering costs for entry, its practically impossible for a competitors to magically appear now. The only way prices will go down is if people stop buying RAM on mass, and that's not just enthusiasts like us, that's mobile phone producers, large scale office computing suppliers and so on. In other words, its only going up.

>But I guess manufacturing is slow to respond to the need for more marginal production.
Because the last time this happened, everyone's hand got bit when the demand stopped.

So I'm thinking of going from:

i5-3450
DDR3
Evo 250gb boot

To:

Either an 8400(maybe higher) or an R5 1600(again, maybe higher)
DDR4 2400
M.2 NVMe boot

Will I have a noticeable enough difference in general PC performance for the price it will cost?
Am I doing this right?
Priorities: 3D modeling & gaming.

>NVMe but only DDR4-2400
Unless it helps with your modeling it isn't worth it

How long is first post usually? I think I have everything hooked up properly but nothing is happening

If you aren't going into BIOS then you don't have everything hooked up correctly.

>Nothing is happening
You fans should spin. If your fans aren't spinning, you fucked something up. Turn on the switch at the back of the PSU.

Make sure you didn't double plug anything. Had that happen when setting up my case.

i upgraded like a week ago to a ryzen 1200, from a stock clocked fx 6300, and i just wanted to say FUCK FX what a piece of dog shit that was. anyone here on Sup Forums saying its still a capable cpu for anything is fucking delusional

Reposting cause no one answered last thread:
I'm filling out my mail-in rebates. When it asks for "order/invoice number", which one do I put? Either one? I ordered from Newegg so I have both an order number and an invoice number.

I do the invoice number.

Fans spinning, gfx card on, CPU fan running, can hear drives boot up, front panel works. Yet no signal on the monitors. I've tried HDMI from Mobo and from gfx card, nothing. No beep signals either

What ram should I be aiming for with an NVMe boot then? Honestly I find DDR4 very confusing.

Trying to pick out an HDD but every fucking review for the WD and Seagate drives have me worried I'll end up with a really loud drive. What's the quietest HDD out there that's still 7200rpm?

only people who got shit hdd's bother leaving reviews, take reviews with a pinch of salt

You plugged into your GPU?
Make sure you are not plugged into your mobo instead

What's a good motherboard for an 1800x?

I keep seeing this one
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157757

is it even possible to build a PC for gaming at a budget of 500 USA dollars? I don't need peripherals and I already have a case.

when this happened to me I had to re-seat all the hard drives

I'm saying that NVMe usually gives you less of a benefit than faster RAM does.

I kek'd hard at that gif.

this get a low profile/cheaper cooler D15 is for the overclocking
ignore this advice if you live in a place that gets to 30 C regularly and have no air conditioning

At $320, yeah get the 1800X.

Pro of Ryzen is that it's much more power efficient, and the platform has more longevity (Intel only keeps socket compatibility for 18-24 months or so. AMD 48+ months)
Benefit of Intel is that sometimes the platform features are a bit more mature, and single core speeds are higher at most given price points, but the platform itself is more expensive both long and short term.

>Shimmer is the bane of my gaming existence
There is Virtual Super Resolution (AMD) and Dynamic Super Resolution (nVidia) but they don't work for all games. Best thing is to just have a higher resolution monitor with higher DPI.

Agreed.
Now is a shit time to buy a GPU for many reasons.
All the GPUs cost too much and they're very underpowered for 4K.

I tried to talk my friend into just waiting a bit for the desktop version of the 2700U and to upgrade to a better GPU later, but he couldn't wait. Oh well.

Considering you could get an FX CPU plus motherboard all for $70-$90, it was okay at that price. And they didn't have spyware backdoor ARM processor on the chip.

For stock, most anything that has VRM heatsinks is fine. Unless it's only 4 phase VRMs.
Stay away from MSI because BIOS is awful, though.
Gigabyte K5 is fine. ASRock Pro4 is fine. ASUS PRIME is fine. Lots of fine boards.

Might be able to get an R3 1200, 1050Ti, and 256GB SSD for that budget if you watch for sales. Might be closer to $600, though...

Depends on what you want to do. The Taichi is a good board, but you may not use all of the features.
Do you still need to buy storage?

So DDR4 means the NVMe transfer speeds won't make a difference? Under what circumstance is NVMe even relevant then?

Let's put it this way? How much do you benefit from NVMe?

Do you or anyone know when the Volta will come out? I want to wait but I'll have all my other parts by mid December and I don't want to wait 6 months after already waiting so long or my first build.

For $523, this is as low as you can go while still retaining value of custom building.
pcpartpicker.com/list/w4m87h

Yeah. Honestly I need a case and a new mouse too. I've read too much shit about 1050 cards and I think I will be better off waiting until I have about a grand before I do anything that I'll regret

Do we know if next gen of intel cpus will be compatible with these z370 boards?

I'd buy one if I knew I have some future proof to just upgrade the cpu

nope. Just for this gen

Please be true, Now we just need people to stop overpaying.

pcpartpicker.com/list/6hxYVY
Thoughts? First time building and looking for pointers and if there any necessary changes. Priority is mostly gaming and I'm wondering if this is okay.

>mini itx board
>atx case

Should the PSU be connected to the Mobo via the ATX12V1? Or is it fine the way I have it? Pls help

They farm alt coins like Eth with GPUs. No one farms Bitcoins anymore except with customized hardwares and the chinas have the biggest farms.

How do I turn on Ryzen precision boost on ASUS bios?
Will there be a big jump in temps if I do this?

Oh you are talking about Bitcoin specifically, I took it as Cryptos as a whole.

Is it never worth getting an X or K series CPU unless you plan on overclocking?

It's fine the way you have it. If it doesn't work, you probably have a bad CPU.

When people say Bitcoin, they normally mean Bitcoin.