/hpg/ - Headphone General

How to request purchase advice: pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Headphone guide: canpicker.com/

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/HIFIMAN-HE-400I-Full-size-Magnetic-Headphones/product-reviews/B00MULH672/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_hist_1?ie=UTF8&filterByStar=one_star&reviewerType=all_reviews#reviews-filter-bar
schiit-europe.com
headnhifi.com/o2-odac-combo
massdrop.com/buy/koss-kph30i
echoboxaudio.com/products/the-nomad-replaceable-cable-titanium-earphone
soundstage.com/revequip/sennheiser_hd600.htm
stereophile.com/headphones/408/index.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

MA900 is low fidelity garbage with no sub bass and no upper midrange.

what is the second best headphone behind the ma900?

Why do we have 2 threads for this?

And you own literally zero (0) headphones
Poorly sealed MA900s :^)

MA900 is an excellent headphone and you should post a picture of your headphones with a non-photoshopped timestamp in the picture to prove that your opinion is credible.
Five (5) cute facts about Komari:
1. Komari is cute!
2. Komari is adorably tiny!
3. I love her!
4. Komari!

amazon.com/HIFIMAN-HE-400I-Full-size-Magnetic-Headphones/product-reviews/B00MULH672/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_hist_1?ie=UTF8&filterByStar=one_star&reviewerType=all_reviews#reviews-filter-bar

>purchased these headphones in December of 2015 for $300. I loved them at first, but then, due to poor design (look at the photo of the cable they provide on the store page, the material wore away and then suffered connectivity problems; the sound would repeatedly disconnect and reconnect), the cable's plug failed at the headphone connection in January 2017

>There seems to be some quality control issues with these headphones. If you decide to purchase these headphones I’d recommend that you inspect them carefully before deciding to keep them.

>I had to replace the stock headphone cable because of bad soldering on the cable causing the audio to cut in an out. After about 6 months of usage the padded ear cups started to come apart. Upon inspection they are just glued to a plastic ring with a really thin bead of weak glue. I went to buy replacements only to find reports that the official replacements also fall apart due to the same bad design.

>To put it simply, they just don't hold up. I've had mine for about 9 months, and the earpads have all but fallen off, which according to reviews on the replacements hifiman sells, means they've shown an *exceptional* level of endurance. It's not uncommon for them to come apart in as little as a month. I've also seen a lot of people having trouble with the cables dying, the headband coming apart, and so forth. Also, just for me personally, these things absolutely clamp onto my head something fierce.

>Driver rattle and the cable was fraying after less than a month. I should have listened to all the negative reviews about Hifiman. They do sound great, but it's not worth paying this much for something that falls apart so easy. this brand is infamous for low-quality construction, and I've now seen for myself that it's all true.

>when you get done listening to your hd600s on your schiit stack

>IP count didn't change
We know it's you, no headphones user. You can't hide, so I suggest you stop dilly dallying and post your headphones :^)

>do bass test with my he-400i
>no rattle

hmmmm maybe you should post your headphones noheadphones anonkun :^]

>not nearly as good as the hd650s, painful clamp, horrible ear pads - sharp sound.

>Hifiman clearly has terrible QC. The only good thing about these was the box they came in (its really nice!). The first thing I noticed is how wobbly it is where the yoke swivels. These things feel like they are going to snap within a month. I figured that I may well see how they sound anyways. Welp... the 2.5mm connector in the right ear-cup is seems slightly bent. If the cable is moved slightly the audio in the right ear cuts in and out. How can you have such bad QC for an item that retails $450?!

>watch out for these headphones if your are big on customer service. After 3 months of using them the right sides volume was lower than the left
side. I emailed my seller with the problem and he too confirmed that he had the same problem. The repair is over 100 dollars which is relatively expensive for a product that costs 400 dollars. do yourself a favor and buy a headphone with great warranty on it

>quality of hifiman headphones the worst possible new headphones hifman he400i from the box do not work

>this is unequivocally the single worst equipment purchase I've ever made. The right channel began cutting in and out about 4 months in. At this point, it's gone completely AWOL.

>DOA...only one side worked

>Owned for less than 4 months and the speakers are already cutting out.

>Cons: Actually build quality sucks.

>The manufacturer was not helpful with my issue of blown speaker after owning mine for less than 4 months. Buy at your own experience, but you'll see what I'm talking about.

>All this work just to be outed as no headphones user
baka. Watch this

>I emailed my seller with the problem and he too confirmed that he had the same problem. The repair is over 100 dollars which is relatively expensive for a product that costs 400 dollars. do yourself a favor and buy a headphone with great warranty on it

hmmm... sounds just like the Sennheiser hd600,650 headband. $100 part for $300 headphones...

what do we have here?

There's nothing there user, you don't own any headphones. Please take your meds it's tragic how terrible you smell from not showering

A bad headphone.

Dude... The IP count still hasn't changed...

Here, I'll throw my hat in the ring.

:)

Heard this is a big problem. Tossing new pads on isn't hard though eh?

Still some deals floating around:
US
- CB-1 $24 off $55
- Aurvana Live! 20% off $56
- SRH440 $20 off $79
UK
- SRH440 33% off
- CB-1 $20 off
- HD 579 >50% off 65GBP
- SRH840 40% off
EU
- SHR440 20% off
- SHR840 40% off

Looking for bluetooth recommendations for canpicker. Likely to add V-moda Crossfade 2 Wireless to the list.

everything in that image is a meme

Hi, I don't come to these threads much but I enjoy electronics and amateur radio and signals and so on, naturally I'm drawn somewhat to the audiophile community.

I have a pair of completely ruined Grados SR225i's, I fucked up when I tried to do a single cable mod and I'm not sure if they can be fixed. I think one of the drivers is partially blown as well. What am I looking at in terms of repair cost? Might grados allow me to trade them in for a new pair at a discount?

In other questions, today I impulse bought two pairs of IEM's: KZ ATE's for $13 and a pair of Etymotic ER3SE's at $180. How did I do? These ER3SE's have zero reviews as they are a new release, but I know etymotic has a great reputation. I am looking purely for accuracy in the ER3SE's, I will probably end up using them for certain genres of music (classical) as well as on my amateur radio when trying to listen intently for weak signals. The KZ ATE's will be used for general listening around town when I don't care too much about accuracy.

Email grado, then again I've sent half a dozen emails to them for permission to use images on canpicker without response so uh good luck.

I guess I will try that. Worst case scenario they say, "no".

has anyone tried the hyper x alpha's ? how are they.
inb4 gaymen headset. i know

What is the second best headphone behind the HD600?

post pictures of your hd650

Ouch, late and wrong again!
Which are non-working MA900s, btw

What is the third most overrated headphone after the HD6X0 pair?

Go HD800 or go away.

HD800S second-hand for US$1,075. Yes or no?

So we had a micro meet to test the new Aeon open and it's excellent. Sounds like a poor man's SR-009 if you ask me and it even comes with a filter to slightly change the sound to your liking.

That's not terrible assuming it's in good condition. Maybe try to talk them down to $1k.

Does it come with both cables? If so, go for it, you can resell the balanced one for $150 easy.

Did you get to try the Closed variant? I need something closed for the office and haven't found the right one yet.

The closed one is good as well but obviously being closed means the mid doesn't sound as natural as the open version. I think it's nice Dan tuned these to sound mostly neutral because most closed cans tend to sound coloured as fuck.

Earbud day. Some of the stuff I ordered from the 11.11 AliExpress sale came.
Good:
SVARA L: this shit cost fifty bucks, it better be good. And it is, best soundstage of any headphone I've ever heard of any type. Slightly bass lean and bright. Responds well to EQ.

MX760 DIY: bass on an earbud? Holy shit, i didn't know bassy earbuds were possible. But they are. Responds okay to EQ.

Not so good:
Yincrow X6: Don't know why that one user insists they're better than the monks. It just sounds like a crappy earbud to me.

DIY VIDO: Costs $4 and sounds like it too.

On the way:
Qianyun Qian39
Moondrop nameless
Headroom MS16

im illiterate in regards to audio
why would i want to use one of these things? also what are those boxes i see on peoples desktops that they have their headphones plugged into?

Leafbros is this a good deal?

Anyone have Fiio F9s? Wondering if they will be an upgrade from my current Sony EX650-MDRs?

seems expensive but a good headphone

Are KZ ZS5/6 an upgrade from ATH m-40x?

Thinking about replacing my commute cans with IEMs for ease of use.

Hello! Post your complementary setup

They're ok. If you can get a hold of "Qpad QH-85" i'd get them instead. They're literally an open back version of the hyper x headset.

I'm thinking about getting a schiit stack (modi2 -> magni3).
I'm in the EU so shipping is expensive and customs gonna fuck me.
Do I have any other options? Something I could buy from amazon.de or thomann?

budget?

> diversity in anime

I don't want to go higher than the price of the schiit stack. So about €250

Not much variety for the eurocuck on amazon.de or thomann. I say ditch the DAC and get a decent Lake People amplifier.

schiit has a euro website. schiit-europe.com

You could get a O2/ODAC from here: headnhifi.com/o2-odac-combo

Did we run out of headphone anime pics?

Inb4 earbuds == headphones

Just broke my memeheiser. Im thinking about getting the Koss Porta Pro from Massdrop. are these any good?

i want something that is very light and comfy.

SNAPheiser.
Very light and very comfy = dt770. It's not that portable due to bulkiness, though.

>using the smiley with the carat nose

That's an amplifier that you wan with any decent speaker setup. The little boxes are mini amps for headphones that need a decent amount of power to drive.

There's a schiit EU store m8 with fast delivery. Unless you mean that the magni 3 is out of stock? It was when i wanted it so I bought it from the US site for slightly cheaper, but I ended up paying £25 customs charge in the end. I expected it but it was better than waiting months.

Wheyyyyy it's December!

Fucking kill me.

what's a good pair of closed cans that doesn't leak any sound but still allows me to hear outside noises fairly easily

Nah, not really. I have Porta Pros, had them since times when KPP+rockboxed clipp was mandatory Sup Forumsentooman equipment. Even went ahead and recabled them with better cable after old one gave up.
Anyway, pretty shit memephones. Too much bass, despite being very compact basically unusable on public transport because people will hear and laugh at your girly weeb music and you will hear all the Chads and Stacys talking loudly with each other.
Comfort is superb, good phones for jogging, or listening in bed (lying on back only). All around fuck no, either get something actually good or buy some chinkphones.

I fully agree, the PortaPros don't sound half as good as people say they do. they're not bad and probably destroy anything with a similar price/form factor but still, WAY overrated. would only recommend them for running etc.

HD6XX for babbies first open headphone. Y/N?
HD600s are 500aud.

these are pretty high end for a babby's first

you could try 558s and 598s and then 600s (assuming you have access to a B&M a store that carries them) and see if you can tell the difference

They actually do sound that good for the price and form factor though. I have no use for mine because I have full sized headphones and good iems, but that doesn't change the fact that porta pros are good.

>as people say they do
No one who actually knows their shit thinks kpp sound good. Those headphones USED to be good in terms of what you get compared to what you pay, but this was around 2009.
It was slightly different world back then, we didn't have all the cheapo chinkshits that actually sound decent, and if you couldn't afford actually good headphones there wasn't that much else you could buy. I was a college student back then and had close to no income, kpp was a nobrainer.

I would never recommend them unless you absolutely cannot use cans or earbuds, there's just far better stuff out there available for the same price or less.

I'm not judging, hell I own a pair and use them three times a week. I was just lead to expect far too much.

After EQ portapros are fucking excellent.

Poor sound quality, poor quality control, poor build quality, poor aesthetics, average comfort. What reason is there to buy Hifiman headphones?

:^>

Too hipster for sennheiser
Too poor for poodeze

No headphones user...

Sennheiser mid-fi planars?

So I always wanted the HD 600s but hated the color. These HD 6XXs look like a Godsend and they're cheap to boot.

Why wouldn't I get them over the HD 600s?

because they're rebadged hd650s

Literally no reason not to. They're based off the HD 650

Because they're a slightly muddy version of the 600. I guess it' hard to argue with the price difference since you want the 6xx.

Might as well ask /hpg/ too, DACs haven't improved in some significant way in terms of audio quality in the last ~5 years, right? I have a V-DAC II which is pretty old, would something new sound better to a point it's actually audible and not just measurable, if even that?

You're getting a better headphone at a cheaper price

HD6XX is a rebadged HD650, which is a HD600 with a warmer sound. People argue all the time over which one is "better"

{:^)

>I'm not judging, hell I own a pair and use them three times a week. I was just lead to expect far too much.
Yeah, I know, didn't mean that you do. Just wanted to clarify why people actually sometimes think KPP are good. It's all based on outdated, almost decade old market research, that some people still live by nowadays.

Unless you live outside of US and taxes and shipping times basically make entire deal worthless. I would save like $50 maybe, while also basically giving up any warranty (since I would have to ship those back to US for one) and having to wait for ridiculous Massdrop shipping times. Not to mention that in the end you get inferior version of HD600.
If I could get HD650 for actual $200 though, I sure as fuck would.

They sound the same, not to mention one is cheaper with actual driver matching

not answering your question but I have a related one

how much can a DAC affect sound quality exactly? I always figured it either worked right (properly shielded and accurately converting waveform info) or it was shit.

what's your source?

I have samsara on the way, use blur now

I don't know if I'd call them an upgrade sound-wise (maybe a side-grade with a different signature), but they'll be a heck of a lot more comfortable and convenient while on the go.

I can't say that I've ever heard the difference between dacs, and most people here seem to agree that it's best to have one instead of using onboard purely if it's noisy. People all over the internet think they differences vary but I have no idea. Amps seem to make a difference though, with certain headphones at least.

HD600 has matched drivers.

I think he means 6xx vs 650? not sure

They all use matched drivers.

If you don't want so much mid-bass as the Porta Pro offers, you may also want to consider these:

massdrop.com/buy/koss-kph30i

Prove it. I see nothing in Sennheiser's product page

Name a better pair of headphones than mine. They have a 50mm driver with 24 Ohm impedance and a 5–25,000Hz frequency response.

Schiit Valhalla 2 (>running earbuds off a tube amp)

very little to no improvement
clean lineout + good amp is all your need to focus on

What are some good in ears around the price of 1MORE Quad drivers?

I will probably buy 1more quad, but open to any other suggestions

>They sound the same
Then why 650/6xx measure differently than 600?
Then why pretty much anyone who listened to two finds 650/6xx to be different sounding than 600?

Please fill out the form so that we can help you define what "good" is. Without any qualification, I recommend stretching you budget to $250 and grabbing these while they are on sale: echoboxaudio.com/products/the-nomad-replaceable-cable-titanium-earphone

They have a mild U-shape with the neutral filters. Great out of the box, super comfy, MMCX cables and tuneable with the AFT filters to your taste. Probably the best imaging and separation that I've ever heard in a pair of DD-only IEMS. For this price, they should be a no-brainer IMO. /shill, but I do mean it. There aren't a lot of reviews out there online (as they were only available at shows while on pre-order), but if you look them up, you'll see what I mean.

soundstage.com/revequip/sennheiser_hd600.htm

stereophile.com/headphones/408/index.html

They're identical with minor differences, at least to my ears. I can almost guarantee no one is going to tell without
spending any time