/sqt/ Stupid Questions Thread

Post your one-off questions that don't deserve their own thread here. Try and research it first if you can.

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/WebMBro/WebMConverter
amazon.com/Ameriwood-Home-Carson-Stand-Espresso/dp/B005KUVZEA'
amazon.com/Ameriwood-Home-Englewood-Stand-Black/dp/B01G8NZQG0
hardforum.com/threads/lg-ips234v-pn-faint-vertical-lines-on-solid-blue-aqua-colors.1746125/
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4UF39E2338&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker, LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=
twitter.com/AnonBabble

firefox 57

there's a way to put userChrome stuff and userContent stuff in one .css file, right?

what lines do I need to add to make it work?

Which runtimes do you still need? I use Firefox quantum.

None of those

I want a new chair for my computer while I game but I'm not sure what brands to look for without finding clickbait. Any suggestions?

is the xbox one s the only xbox one controller that supports bluetooth?

I'm prety sure all of the newer controllers support bluetooth. Elite controller doesn't since it came before those.

It finished, went from 2.06GB with 7z and lzma2 with 256MB dictionary to 1.92GB with zpaq using level 5 (-m5). It is smaller, but shouldn't there be like a 40% reduction over the first method?

Nothing until a program asks for it. Your system works best when it's not cluttered with insecure crap.

Do metal detectors in airports damage electronics?

How much more energy do 4k TVs use vs 1080p?

what are my options for usb 3.1 4-bay enclosures?
don't care about hot swap

Is there any good tool for removing all the ads in Windows 10?

What are some ways to rice win7?

Too vague

Probably about the same give or take.
Either way all 4k screens suck ass anyway.

Why don't you just increase your dictionary size?

Someone explain what DDNS is and how I would set it up to make an internet-accessible home server. High-level explanation is fine, low-level is good too.

please help

I'm hungry...what website that I can download food online free?

i'd recommend lrzip for that (either the default lzma compression, or if zpaq compression if you have a lot of time)

none

Im an 8GB ramlet, dunno how to increase it on zpaq. Gonna use the max possible including virtual memory and see how it goes.

Thanks.

What kind of quality loss should I expect to get when converting an mp4 from youtube to a WebM? How can I minimize loss?
Also, in-browser converter or downloaded program?
>pic unrelated

I finally started using Sony Vegas to make my own webms but I'm at a loss for how anything works. It took me all day to figure out that to loop a gif all you had to do was drag the end of the image in the timeline. Now when I go to render it the end result is like 400 megabytes. I have no idea what file type to use to keep a good bitrate/filesize ratio before converting to webm.

>Also, in-browser converter or downloaded program?
the sticky on /wsg/ has a good simple webm converter to download
github.com/WebMBro/WebMConverter

>use BitDfender
>keeps blocking all webpages on FF57 whenever I reboot PC, so I get error in pic related
>have to toggle "Scan SSL" on and back off every time
Why does this keep happening? It's already toggled off whenever I reboot, so why do I have to keep turning it on and back off again?

Is it a monitor defect if I can see the pixel pattern/grid on certain color shades looking from more than an arm's length away?
1080p IPS panel connected on DVI
It's impeccable in every other regard. It's great watching movies on it but getting up close I always notice that. Most noticeable on certain shades of blue

>use BitDefender

Found your problem. Antivirus software is a joke that hogs resources and causes problems like these.

Depends on size, but that sounds like just normal pixels. I have a 25" 1080p screen and yeah the pixels are pretty big.

They are normal pixels, I mean if I zoom in on them what looks like white lines is just the pixel grid. But it's annoying as fuck especially since I didn't have that issue on my (very old) previous monitor.

which do you think looks better?

amazon.com/Ameriwood-Home-Carson-Stand-Espresso/dp/B005KUVZEA'

amazon.com/Ameriwood-Home-Englewood-Stand-Black/dp/B01G8NZQG0

primary colours will have a more noticable screen-like appearance, just due to the fact that 2/3rds of the pixel is black

pic related, a 3x2 grid of pixels, the top three are red, and the bottom three are white

hardforum.com/threads/lg-ips234v-pn-faint-vertical-lines-on-solid-blue-aqua-colors.1746125/

Here is a bunch of people explaining my problem better than I can. It seems that some people are more sensitive to it. I'm really bummed if this is the case on all IPS panels at 1080p.

Then you should have gotten more resolution or less size. What monitor is it btw?

my msi laptop shuts off if i unplug it

battery says plugged in, not charging

yet the battery has been slowly draining for about 2 months now. I'm at 8.5%. I'm scared. What's gonna happen when it hits zero? I mean, it should still work right? It's not drawing more power than it's using because the fucking thing shuts off anyway when its unplugged so the battery isn't fucking helping anyway right?

help me out here please

Some IPS panels have a "screen door effect" issue where alternating rows and/or columns are dimmer when showing certain colors or all colors -- that is a shitty panel and they're not all like that.

All LCDs of all sorts use subpixels, and if you get one that's too big for its resolution, that will be more visible.

protip: use xmedia recode for making webms. Whatever vegas is making is probably fucking huge

It will work without the battery, chill the fuck out.

Best coding laptop to take to gamejams & meetups under $400?

I accidentally used rm -r on something very important when I meant to delete something else. What file recovery software actually works on Debian?

It probably will, but I wonder why the it shows the battery slowly draining over time yet it shuts off when unplugged?

It must be both reading the battery wrong and not charging it

That depends, what was the something very important?

A folder containing text files

Umount NOW, the more you use it the more likely you are to overwrite the data. Run testdisk and point it to the partition, it will list deleted files and allow you to copy them out to another partition.

youtube randomly stopped giving me the option for hd video
can only have 360p
im using pale moon
how do i fix it?

That's going to be exceptionally difficult, especially if you've been using the disk in the meantime. Do try extundelete (find the right Debian package), but make sure it's on a live CD or other partition.

It's a cheap Philips.

I posted here before, but it was very vague and confusing to others. Basically,I live with a relative who can detect when electronics have electrical issues because if she goes near one that's messed up, she feels strained and choked up like she's being shocked lightly. She once detect messed up phones at work after walking passed them, and it led to them being replaced, after which they stopped bothering her.

Anyway, my laptop is having the mentioned affect on her, and so I bought a used one off ebay (it actually had issues charging that I wasn't told about but noticed), and that bothers her too. I've tried taking the batteries out of both and just using while connected to charger, or running on battery without charger. Either way, she has the same feeling with both laptops. When she's using my desktop PC or other computers in regular condition, she has no problems.

Anybody know what electrical issues it could be if it's not the charger OR battery? I don't know what else to consider.

>that is a shitty panel and they're not all like that.

When you say it's a shitty panel do you mean this one's defective or the panel this monitor uses is shitty in general and no matter how many I'd replace they'd be the same

I'm making a program in java that takes an input (ie copy/paste a MC question from blackboard) and searches google for an answer on quizlet. My question is how can I isolate the result to include only the answer that matches the text found?

So if this question matched and came up as the first result, how can I import the answer half directly to my program?

I've got a 1080p 23" TN panel and I've never seen this.

got it
had to uninstall hevc codec that was forced upon me by microsoft in the latest update

> accidentally delete random script file from hdd that I barely ever even access much less write data to
> THIS WILL BE EXCEPTIONALLY DIFFICULT IF NOT IMPOSSIBLE TO RECOVER
>Literally rm-r no preserve root entire ssd before wiping it with all zeros three times and throwing it in the toaster and throwing the toaster in the microwave and the microwave into the bath tub while all are turned on
>nsa still recovers my anime tiddies and locks me In weaboo prison

Explain this fucking shit to me please

Tech support question:

Preliminaries: I've got a 2010 MacBook Pro with HDD and OSX ElCapitan installed

Q: Should I upgrade to High Sierra before or after cloning the system to the SSD or never? High Sierra has the new apple file system so can I format the SSD in APFS somehow before the cloning. I'm not going to make a fresh install.

Good luck!

your aunt is a witch, burn her

Are you inputting plain text? Lots of regexes. Are you scraping the web? Lots of whiskey.

They restored your chines cartoons from their Utah records

I have a movie with both stereo and surround audio tracks. If I were to play the surround sound through a pair of stereo headphones or a stereo speaker setup, is that any worse than using the stereo audio?

ublock seems to mess with captcha. I keep solving them but every time I click post it gives me an error.

See, 23" is a pretty good size for 1080p. 27" is not. IDK what size this guy's monitor is.

If that's even what you have, it's partly a defective thing, but also a brand and model of panel can be more prone to the defect than others. Some monitor models will use multiple different panels randomly / whichever is cheaper when they reorder them.

Can you post a picture showing the artifact?

the stereo track will be properly mixed for stereo output, so you should use that
you can mixdown the surround track to stereo as well to get the same result, but if you fuck it up and just say, play the front left/right channels alone, you end up with problems (can't hear "rear" sounds, voices will be quiet as they're mostly on the centre channel, etc)

Okay, thanks. I think I'll change the default audio to stereo.

Have you tried.. buying a new battery?

words of warning; the stereo track might not be the same quality as the surround track, as it's often counted as a fallback track (for example, it might have 5.1ch TrueHD lossless, and a 1.5Mb/s lossy DTS stereo track, which more players support)
there's also videos which have surround + a stereo commentary track, so you might end up with a commentary track instead of the 'main' one, same with other languages, sometimes the main language is surround, and other languages are stereo

They're both the standard track and I didn't delete either of them, just changed which one plays by default.

what's the generally recommended path to learning c++? To give you an idea of where I'm at I know only elementary c but I'm proficient with interpreted languages like python, ruby, javascript, and scheme. and also babby systems languages like go and crystal.

inputting plain text yes. I'm just trying to get it to return that chunk, I already know how I'm going to do the search. Whiskey regardless tho.

I'll answer to myself. Seems like like High Sierra can do some magic and transforms the installs on HFS+ system to APFS automagically. Pretty neat. So I'll upgrade OS afterwards

>Can you post a picture showing the artifact?

already posted here the light blue color in it looks as if it has tiny white lines in the grid pattern
it's very noticeable but only on certain colors like the windows 10 login for example
it makes it look like a cheap lcd from 2000s when the grids were obvious because of bad resolution

they're like 130 dollars so no I'm trying to see what happens when it hits zero before I bother doing that. I'm okay with having a very portable desktop. I've had this thing for 4 years anyway

what's the cheapest and best laptop I can buy for making music in Ableton Live 9 in. I'm on a budget and would like to use windows 10.

I was hoping for something showing it over a larger area. I can't see much of the pattern in that.

It's hard to illustrate by taking a picture of the monitor and having it display on your monitor
But I can explain it
If I look at the Microsoft Edge logo in this picture for example (or the Skype logo on my desktop) it looks as if it has very very tiny white lines vertically across it where I assume the pixel grid is
so instead of looking like one consistent color it looks "pixely"

I think I can kinda sorta see it. Can you see whether it's a stripe every pixel, or every two? I mean, like, are you seeing the stripes formed by the pixels themselves, or are the pixel columns alternating between one pixel lighter and one pixel darker?

If it's every other pixel, it's a crappy panel and you might try RMAing, but you may not get anything better.

If it's stripes formed by pixels and the space between them, it's just a normal LCD.

I want to make a two second-long video from a still image using FFMPEG. The site gives this example for doing that:
ffmpeg -loop 1 -i img.jpg -c:v libx264 -t 30 -pix_fmt yuv420p out.mp4
explaining that "-t 30" means 30 seconds. However I always get a video that is a single frame long no matter what I set that value to. It also gives me an error about the "loop" option telling me the option doesn't exist, so I removed it thinking it must have been written for an older version, but now I'm wondering if that's part of the problem. Any suggestions? The conversion to video does work, it's just that it's only a single frame long.

is that not what blue shift is?

>can't return array from function in C

are you fucking kidding me? I'm just a dumbass but I mean every other language you can do this. and it's pretty much how I'm accustomed to doing things. I never thought it was bad practice since it happens in math literally all the time. like just a function that takes in a set and does something iteratively on that set and returns another set. actually in a sense that's every function, you can just think of functions as things that map set elements to other set elements.

so why can't you do this in C? I mean I guess you can do stuff with pointers, but when they were making C, why didn't this come up? isn't it super obvious that you'd want to do this? evidently it is since every language has it.

>so why can't you do this in C?
Because by default arrays are passed by reference as parameters.

I'm already on Windows 10

yet I have this thing called "Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant" shortcut on my desktop and installed

what the heck does it do? I'm already on W10?

that's retarded

Is upgrading to Windows 10 ver. 15063 a good or bad idea?

What are some good atx form factor motherboards to get for an Intel/Nvidia PC?
Also, what should I consider when getting a motherboard, how can a motherboard limit me compared to a different older/better/more expensive motherboard?

How do I know that a private tracker is actually safe?

Try it and see. You can rollback if it isn't.

genstall intoo

with Sup Forums x, every time I browse Sup Forums, open a thread, load a new page or whatever, it briefly blinks in broken html before the page builds itself.

What is causing this thing? On Firefox

Can you hotplug SATA hdds? Im running linux if that matters

How can I best overclock my CPU?

Doesn't matter. In the long run that shit isn't optional.

Had this happen to me for the entire day what is my isp doing

Would I be wrong going with this cooler?
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4UF39E2338&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker, LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

For an i5-7600k. It's the cheapest with 600 - 2200 RPM and 26.4 dbA doesn't sound too bad, right? (I know nothing bout coolers).

Which one to read first?
I'm not really that interested in algorithms, I just want to write clean 'quality software', but guess some background is nice.
Other recommendations welcome

try this
Noctua NH-L9i 92mm SSO2 CPU Cooler

or Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

So when I get in Linux, my SSD is read-only...
How do I fix this?
Please help, Windows 10 is killing me.

It's the winblowz botnet, they've cut you off.

What is vrm phase doubling? I'm guessing it's a good thing since it halves the switching frequency thereby lowering heat loss, but do correct me if I'm wrong.

How does this translate into the quality of motherboards?

Is it possible to use an old Galaxy s4 as a desktop ? Maybe install a Linux os on it?
It has better specs than my actual computer

don't know about the first book
is lua even used in any "quality software"
sicp has some very mathsy exercises (my friend read it) but maybe it wouldn't be bad to read the parts that actually have something to do with computer programs and not just using lisp for solving imaginary problems

Are you connected directly to your modem like a retard or do you have a router?

>212 evo
Using this is inexcusable when the cryorig h7 exists.

I switched to wifi for gaming on PC like 2 years ago. At some point I started experiencing 30 second - 5 minute internet drops (on my pc only, no other devices affected), but not very often.

Replaced router/modem a week ago and the problem seems to have gone into overdrive (disconnected 5 times in a 4 hour WoW raid, LoL is unplayable).

Any suggestions?