/fglt/ - friendly GNU/Linux thread

DED: /fglt/ - Friendly GAHNOO slash LOONIX thread
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

h-node.org/hardware/catalogue/en
appdb.winehq.org/
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Firefox/Tweaks#Turn_off_the_disk_cache
github.com/i-rinat/apulse
twitter.com/AnonBabble

First for any OS other than Gentoo is for fags.

Agreed.

t. Arch user.

Gentoo is the only usable operating system out there.

why the frick when i use apt-get i get less packages than when using apt without get

good thread

Install GuixSD

is linux generally compatible with new hardware? got a new laptop, and when i tried booting ubuntu from a usb the sound was noticably inferior and the general smoothness of browsing the web was pretty bad. is it just an issue of setting up the correct drivers/software?

I tried installing Dunst notification daemon on ubuntu mate 17.04 (with i3-gaps) but when I type a dunst command I get "Name Lost. Is Another notification daemon running?", there is probably another notification daemon running but I don't know what notification daemon is and I don't know how to find out, I already removed mate-notification-daemon

*what this notification daemon is, I don't know which notification daemon is running.

I'm currently trying out FrankenWM It's very comfy and minimal.
Just want to let people know about it if they like Tiling WMs.

>smoothness of browsing
system booted from USB has weaker performance.
Also, can some user tell how to check if hardware acceleration is used?

list of supported hardware:
h-node.org/hardware/catalogue/en

nvm found it in htop

Does anybody here use something like Suricata, Moloch or CSF? I stumbled upon them and I am not sure if its worth installing on my server for some sort of monitoring and security.

What is the "normal" way to auto-hibernate a laptop when the battery goes below a critical threshold?

Need some help with pipes Sup Forumsents! When I'm using pipes, I always have trouble with doing anything on a per-line basis.
Here's what I'm trying to do:

1) Find all the .conf files in a base directory
2) Copy all the files to another directory and preserve relative directory structure.

e.g.
/etc/foo.conf --> ~/backup/etc/wat.conf
/etc/another/bar.cof --> ~/backup/etc/another/bar.cof

I got as far as:

cd ~/backup | find / --iname "*.conf" | xargs cp --parents {} .{}

But this does not work. I don't know how to refer to lines of text that come out of a pipe'd output. I know xargs can split them up but I don't know how to refer to it as a variable.

Can someone help? Thanks!

>cd ~/backup |

Using pipes on a list of files will only do you good if they get piped into a program that knows how to read a list. Just use a for loop
for i in $(find / -iname "*.conf"); do mkdir -p ~/backup${i%/*}; cp ${i} ~/backup${i}; done

What's wrong with that? ~/backup could be the mount point for his backup drive. Or he's making a backup to avoid fucking everything logically (maybe he's planning on reinstalling his OS or something, and wants an easy way to restore all his /etc configuration if he has to roll back) while not being concerned with physical drive failure.

Oh wait I'm retarded. I need to look at what I'm replying to before posting

if I want to use linux for browsing the web/watching anime/torrents etc will I be able to without using terminal commands

I read that you can play games on linux using wine
does it work for all games
is it hard to setup
any performance drops?

>if I want to use linux for browsing the web/watching anime/torrents etc will I be able to without using terminal commands
yes. There are GUI programs for all those purposes and most distros which install a graphical env by default will install a GUI package manager for installing things. That being said, every desktop distro has a browser (usually firefox), a media player (usually VLC) ad a torrent client (usually transmission) installed by default. You can get others like chromium, smplayer, qbittorrent etc from their package managers.

>about wine
Go to appdb.winehq.org/ and check the game/program in question. Support and performance is different for every single one of them.

do I have to use a package manager to install programs?
does linux has something like the windows install wizard so I just go to the program website example firefox.com and download the exe for it?

What's the state of Nvidia drivers on Linux? If I just want to install Ubongo and have my K1000M JustWerk™ am I going to be disappointed?

they've always worked just fine

uninstall gentoo

Yes.
If you seriously fucking prefer le install shield exe method then keep using windows.

There is .deb files that some programs have available

but don't fucking use it, it's too much easier just apt-getting things

My computer randomly switch to nano as default text editor. I want vim all day every day though.

i edited the .bashrc and the etc/environment with export EDITOR=/usr/bin/vim and it kind of works but then i reboot and it doesnt worl... then i reboot and it works again... why? im so confused

Nvidia usually has good proprietary drivers and medicore free drivers (as novidya doesn't cooperate with free software devs, see the "fuck you nvidia" incident)

Package managers are easier and safer to use than searching for random sites to download executables from and running them.
There are some applications for GNU/Linux you can treat like Windows and just download and run the "installer", it's just that because we have so much infrastructure for package managers already there's no point in doing that so most developers don't even bother making installers for GNU/Linux.

But why would you want to do that anyway? Do you realize how unbelievably insecure that is? You have no fucking clue what that binary file contains.

Installing from a package manager is mind numbingly easy though (and far more secure). Some of them even have GUI's, you just search for your program and click install, or if no GUI is available it's still extremely simple and amounts to something like: " install "

ubuntu is better for mid to old hardware
for new recent better use arch or antergos if you are a noob

Also for the record "installers" aren't a feature of windows. It's just a standard. It's standard for you to download crap from strangers and run the binary installer. Installers are just programs, we just give them a special name because they typically extract files and put them in a special place for you. But make no mistake, they are full blown applications themselves and can do anything. They usually put a big windows logo on it somewhere though to make you think there's some actual security there and make you feel safe, but there's not.
So of course there is nothing preventing that sort of thing from being designed for GNU/Linux too.
We just have a more civilized way of doing things and Windows is ages behind trying to play catch-up now with their windows store shit.

can you explain package managers to me
who is in charge of managing package managers
say im mozilla and released a new update to firefox,who do I send the firefox code to so it gets included in the package manager?

like if a package manager gets compromised and malicious code is included in programs all programs in the package are infected right?

I am trying to make my system display the time through a notify-send command every minute and I am trying to do this with crontab, I made a file with the following #!/bin/sh

export DISPLAY=:0.0; export HOME=/home/emile; /usr/bin/notify-send "$(/usr/bin/toilet -f future "$(/bin/date +"%b %d %H:%M")")"
this file works but it doesn't when called through crontab. Does anybody know a solution?

>who do I send the firefox code to so it gets included in the package manager?
Nobody, you just make it available. Distro maintainers then go and get your source code (and ideally review it for malicious code but this doesn't always happen) and then they put it in the distributions "repository" which is where you get it from.

So basically your security is to depend on the entire community of maintainers and other users. If one person notices and reports a security flaw, even if mozilla doesn't fix it the maintainers of your distro might fix it, and those updates are sent to you in a very simple centralized way (on GNU/Linux your software doesn't come with "updater" applications running in the background because the package manager handles all of it, so that saves resources)
If your maintainers are evil and decide to add malicious code you should hopefully still be able to see that they made evil changes. Of course there is some doubt if you're using a binary based distribution, so you should have some level of trust toward your distro maintainers, or pick a different distro (or use a source based distribution)

ah, OK! thanks user! I guess piping has its limits.

so say I install ubuntu,ubuntu maintainers have their own package manager with a lot of programs that I can install using the terminal
can I install stuff from linux mint or can I only use ubuntu?

and is every application on a package manager open source so the code can be reviewed by the maintainers?

Ubuntu uses the same package manager that Mint does, which is apt, that is also the Debian package manager.
All that changes is the package sources. And you can use custom ones.

>medicore free drivers
>medicore
You are so naive. It's pure shit.

To those people who use st (simple terminal) here

What patches or small tweaks have you applied to it?

I'm using mine with dcat's Xresources patched in and also the scrolling patches

>can I install stuff from linux mint or can I only use ubuntu?
I believe mint uses the same repositories as Ubuntu. In general though different package managers don't mix.

But you can still install software from other distros, it just won't be automated and won't receive updates. Keep in mind though that this is extremely rare for you to need to do that.
Major distros have fucking everything under the sun, even some of the most obscure shit you can think of, including games.

so if I install something from a package manager it will get automatic updates?
is there a way to turn that off

How about
find ~/backup -iname "*. conf" -exec cp --parents {} .{}

By automated I just meant that your package manager handles it. On most distros it doesn't do anything until you tell it to though. None of your software is doing any background downloading or updating or anything. When you're ready to update your system you go and tell your package manager to update it.
Some distros might have it set to run on a schedule though like windows updates, but you can definitely turn it off.

The built in keyboard in my laptop feels like it is 'slow' or 'laggy', I don't know how to describe it.
I tried pluggin in an external USB keyboard and it feels fine.

I hold down "k" and it's like multiple k's show up in bunches/at a latency. What do?

can I run a windows vm on linux for a few small applications
is it a security risk/resource intensive ?

>No autohotkey for linux

xbindkeys

>security risk
no, it's isolated from the rest of the system
that's literally the point of VMs

>resource intensive
this
windows runs like shit when you give it less than 4 GB of memory

consider trying to run the needed programs in Wine since it's considerably more lightweight and might just work for your use case

maybe use xp in a vm, its not so demanding

can I run multiple programs in a wine session?

Lol i know the dude on the far left

>the goy at the right got his shit pounded by a security bug the next night

there's no "wine session"
wine is just a wrapper around the windows application that translates win32 calls to unix syscalls

Actually the funny thing is you could probably go a even a couple months without updating and still be more secure and up to date in general (considering all software you have on average) than on a Windows machine

Is doing

Set browser.cache.disk.enable to false

from
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Firefox/Tweaks#Turn_off_the_disk_cache

a cheap and easy way to make Firefox not use a disk-based cache? Not sure if it's still using the disk (SSD). I just want to do this to avoid SSD wear really. My last SSD died sort of early (5 years) and I never knew about this trick then.

Ok Sup Forums, I could need an advice right now:
I still have seven NTFS partitions encrypted with Truecrypt from my Windows days (5+ years ago). One of four HDDs these seven partitions are on is slowly dying right now, which is an opportunity for me to finally copy all of my data to a new drive and switch to non retarded filesystems (and encryption containers) on the other drives as well.
The issue I'm having with cryptsetup now is that it doesn't seem to support opening multiple containers at once with the same password, unless I use keyfiles, which I don't want, or unless I write a script that passes the password to several cryptsetup commands via stdin, but this would mean that I can't use /etc/crypttab.

What is the best solution to using LUKS while not using keyfiles and having a convenient startup mounting configuration?
Thanks!

USB is a more narrow pipe than IDE/ATA or SATA. Also you may not have a swap file. Your USB also may be a legacy interface. Among other things.

I've only recently switched to LVM encryption myself but you should look into it, I think it has the full capability for what you want.
I don't even set up luks manually these days, in any half decent distro the installer will take care of everything, (I'm using Fedora, might switch back to Kubuntu for 18.04 though)

Is it a stupid idea to get a chromebook and put linux on it? I am interested in a super cheap laptop

yes it is, chromebooks usually have less than 32gb of disk space

Foobar has an extremely useful Move option that lets you move directories and music files based on metadata and shit. For example I could move my whole music library somewhere else, keeping directory structure intact, but renaming all the tracks to something like %TRACKNUMBER%. %TRACKTITLE% so that file naming across my entire library is consistent.
Is there a program on Linux that will let me do the same? Together with beets this should satisfy my autism.

Disagree with this user, you are going to get the same if not better performance out of a chromebook with a lightweight distro on it as you would with chromeos on it. The question you should be asking yourself is "can I deal with the innate hardware limitations of a chromebook, regardless of the operating system it is running?" because you're not going to be able to do jack shit outside of web browsing, video watching, & programming regardless of the OS.

>LVM encryption
I don't want to use LVM

This is perfect for a shell script. Just use something like ffprobe or exiftool to get metdata out, then move the files. You can copy and make backups in the same motion, or just echo the commands to make sure you're moving things the right way.

If you post details on the exact format you want I can get you started.

Doesn't beets do that already?

I think actually beets can probably do it by configuring the path appropiately. I just want to keep my own manual directory structure so it would only have to do something like move "/music_uncleaned/bla/album/trackname" to "music_cleaned/bla/album/fixedtrackname", or possibly updating album name as well.

How can I get Wine to recognize a tab space in a utf8 text file as invisible/not shown?

What font do I need to install for that? Or what setting must I change?

Context: There's a very simple mod for AoE2 which changes the order of the Civilizations based on release, and then alphabetically within the release. It normally would work on Windows, because by using tab to order them the character doesn't display in-game and everything seems fine. But on Wine, the unknown-character rectangles appear behind every Civ name to show the tabs.

Pic related, in-game

Why would you not use LVM? Unless you're doing btrfs2 or something

If it is just a normal ascii tab, like with codepoint below 127, it should be in literally every font.

Then fuck off

lvm be hard
they need to make logical volumes easier so people in the community can get good jobs

You probably do. Even GPT is too retarded to deal with partitions.

LVM is providing a baseline non-retardedness in dealing with block devices that you really should want just in case you ever change anything. Comes with essentially no runtime costs anyhow.

........?
What about it is hard?

> lvm be hard
No. Just no. There is virtually no aspect about it that is complex, apart from selecting a thin pool IF you want thinly provisioned volumes (which you quite possibly don't).

Then what could be the problem? It's just a normal-ass tab from what I can tell. How can I tell if it isn't?

Looks like it isn't the text editors problem, but instead AoE2 displaying the character differently on non-Windows systems.

Hm. Any ideas on what Wine setting I could tweak for it to display the character same as it would on Windows? (Invisible)

you were probably using a slow ass legacy USB 1 or 2, try it with USB 3

Pulseaudio is still broken for me, why'd we let Notabug loose on an init system?? And these days Firefox has it as a hard dependency so I have to build it from source (thanks Gentoo for USE flags btw) and then it doesn't have audio, well done Mozilla, nice to see you don't give a shit about me.

amongst the sadness a ray of hope github.com/i-rinat/apulse

How do I tell Debian to use my own compiled version of st as the x-terminal-emulator? For some reason update-alternatives doesn't see it, I guess because I didn't install it as a debian package. I compiled and installed it onto the default location for it (/usr/local/bin)

Maybe something like
update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/x-terminal-emulator x-terminal-emulator /usr/local/bin/st 99
The last one is priority, I think higher is better.

Fuck yeah dude it worked, guess that was much easier than I thought. I was starting to fear I might have to package it into a .deb or something.

Thank you!

As a bonus question, what does "Status" mean (auto/manual)? I always see it when using update-alternatives but I haven't noticed a difference between using auto or manual mode paths, and their priority is the one that dictates their default order

You probably should just use PA's fairly nice diagnostics and make it work. It's almost never broken.

And you're on gentoo, how pathetic
Put these in your mozconfig and recompile
ac_add_options --disable-pulseaudio
ac_add_options --enable-alsa

>If the group is in automatic mode, and the newly added alternatives' priority is higher than any other installed alternatives for this group, the symlinks will be updated to point to the newly added alternatives.

I have a pretty specific question, might as well ask it here I guess. How do I make a script to launch at boot to do shit like starting applications on specific tags (workspaces) in awesome? I know how to write basic scripts already.

Put them in .xinitrc or what ever your display manager uses when you login

>PA's fairly nice diagnostics
Is this meant to be a joke?

No. Its pretty damn good at providing information.

You haven't even really tried to check, have you?

I don't have one for some reason user

Yes, I have. It just sits there happily reporting nothing is wrong, and in the meantime there's no sound.

just started using awesome?

that's what you get for not using Debian, a broken system