/wt/ - Watch Thread

This thread is about the appreciation of horology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for newbies:
youtu.be/_2J5phyd9J4

>Strap Guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

>Watch essentials 102:
pastebin.com/VBAu4Rwi

Previous Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=oB5hzlDe10c
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

What are you wearing today? Hope something Slav you capitalist pigs.

Unashamedly reposting in new thread since so always end up posting right before threads die.

Cross-posting this question because I think it's actually an interesting one: Does it make sense to try and compare high-end production watchmakers like Rolex, Zenith and Grand Seiko to an haute horlogerie watchmaker like Jaeger LeCoultre? In my mind, the kind of watchmaking companies like JLC do is much more centered around artisinal manufacturing techniques and handwork than the much more engineering focused, repeatable at volume approaches of high-end production watchmakers, but I am interested to hear what others think.

No one makes bracelets fit cases like Rolex.

That doesn't really engage with the broader question I was asking at all.

What about this?

Yes it does. Rolex bracelet fit is better than the greats at a fraction of the price.

Yes, it makes sense to compare JLC to Rolex.

I view them as being competitive in the same general price range, but Rolex specializes in luxury sport watches while JLC specializes in luxury dress watches. Beyond this, they both share a strong history of being actual manufactures of their own movements and cases, as well as having their own unique designs and styles.

Some would say that JLC is higher than Rolex but again we have to factor in that the whole "highly finished dress watch" thing really isn't something Rolex specializes in. So for what they are I think it's fine to put them in the same tier.

Also it's hard for JLC to move up as Richemont owns them and Vacheron Constantin, and they aren't likely to cannibalize their own sales by making truly haute horology pieces on a large production basis like VC does (although JLC has their master watchmakers make all kinds of crazy shit on an extremely limited basis, obviously these are for very, very rich, special clientele and not for the average JLC potential customer).

Another thing is that JLC is, like Rolex, an approachable brand for people with modest incomes as they offer steel models of their watches that come in at a dramatically more affordable price point.

>inb4 reddit

>Bear:"hah look at this faggot Barry. A bell and Ross."

Who wristlet here?

i think they are comparable as both show a level of specificity in watchmaking matched by few others eg rolex cases and bracelets, grand seikos crazy titanium rotors and unbeatable finishing.

i also think that there are people that are interested in all areas of watchmaking and may want to own both a rolex/grand seiko and a JLC (watashi) so will have to pick one to get now and one to get later down the line

Where can I find a strap like that?
Looks really good.

watashi mo

That's a brown perlon. i unironically get mine from Aliexpress (way better quality than the eBay ones) but the best are from Eulit if you're willing to splash the cash

Damn it I wish the SARB035 had the hands of the SARY055, I hate the dial of the SARY055 and the day window only makes it worse. It's so hard to decide.

That's Eulit Palma. You can get it in few online stores, I imagine on Amazon as well. I got mine from watchbandit or something like that.
I'm a wristlet as well.

Okay I decided. The SARY055 looks like shit.

i like this watch user
looks nice

Thanks, user.

>mfw chinks have copied the glorious Raketa Kopernik and have given it the trashiest male name ever

the SARY is the better watch but the dial (at least in that photo, maybe look for a wrist shot) looks pretty lifeless

I hate Kevin, man. he's such a dick.

Anyone else pretty disillusioned with Omega? I was getting pretty bored of their Panerai Tier reissues of the Speedmaster, and their Montblanc tier wallets and sunglasses.

They're just a normie lifestyle brand at this point.

Nice Grand Luch homage.

I didn't realize that it's now December 1st. I thought November had 31 days for some reason.

the finishing on most of this looks like a shitty orange peel spraypaint job on a 17 year olds first project car.

balance is pretty though

Oops, just put my seigo forward

To be fair the Raketa Kopernik looks like shit so who cares.

>SARY is the better watch
How so user?

Modified SKX009.

the finishing is worlds above (especially the bracelet), which is why it costs more. the movement of the 035 is marginally better though

though to be honest, i hate both because of the display back + unfinished movement combo

Yea I know Sup Forums hates B&R but I enjoy mine and it has both a nice physical patina as well as a good "story" patina after years.

Also:

Found a picture where you can actually see my watch in it's natural environment instead of staged or "holding wrist up" shots. Amazing how hard it is to find them, heh. Definitely gives a better sense of the watch or at least a more well rounded idea of its style. I think people should post more "natural" pictures of watches.

L5100 Speedmaster since another user in /wt/ bought one.

what model is that?

I like your watches but that's one of the ugliest Omega's I've ever seen. Let it have amazing guts, it's just so ugly.

You're not wrong, but this watch is the functional kind of ugly, and I happen to often like functionally ugly watches.

>which is why it costs more
It costs less on Amazon and some other sites.

>Hating Tonneau cases
I bet next you're going to say that TV case Speedmasters or Baby Ploprofs are ugly too.

I used to hate Omega with a burning passion.
I hated their designs, hated their corporate situation, and I loathed their James Bond marketing.
I almost vomited the first time I saw this: youtube.com/watch?v=oB5hzlDe10c

BUT
The SM300 is a home run; classic vintage design that is both sporty and dressy, with modern materials and a top-tier movement.

I'm not ashamed to say I want one, badly.
Sometimes you just have to judge a watch on its merits.

Is this ok?

TVs are pretty good and fit that dial's aesthetic a lot better. If I was fat and Canadian, I'd get this Omega instead.

As per usual.

Still considering if i should either continue or sell my 7006 project watch though.

Nice freckles fag

Looks good

that looks pretty nasty dude

(You)

(You)

That's such an awesome LM Special.

Why is there a red stripe on the crown?

You mean the windy knob?

Most artisan watches are more expensive because of low production volume.

So it would be better to compare credor to jlc, but credor generally pales in comparison to the other artisan priced watches.

I have been wearing my Seiko SNK 799 for a few weeks now - in my eyes the best looking "5" when I bought it and IMHO it still is.

SARB033

What Seiko is that is it a new model?

i think its fuckhuge but aesthetically i don't hate it

for me, the problems with this watch are as follows:
>reissue, this is lazy and shows the lack of creativity that Omega is known for in its current day.
>fake aged lume. this is just fucking dumb. at least offer it without.

Omega will continue to sell speedmasters to 50 year olds, and they will keep buying them, but personally, they are boring the shit out of me

that dial looks like something citizen or orient would put out. its cool, just not something i would have expected from seiko

Careful you will trigger the Omega employee that's in these threads and ruin the next 240 posts in this thread when it triggers the autists to fight.
I hate fake aged lume with a passion. But then I'm also the type of person that like buying things new so I can see myself wear on then and age then myself.

>reissue, this is lazy and shows the lack of creativity
How is this different from keeping the same model in continuous production, with regular updates?

>fake aged lume
See it as off-white.
Nobody ever said lume had to be white.

Look at the Pelagos LHD for instance, the off-white lume even makes the metal of the case look better.

There are plenty of Seiko models from the 70's that have these wacky and unusual dials.

Including some 5256 KS's, but mostly Advan models with 7019 movements.

that's really pretty, how much was it user?

Indeed, comrade

I wouldn't call the LHD lume "aged" and do agree that lume doesn't have to be white and that the cream colour adds to it's design, it is a very attractive watch.
I hate the clear attempt to strike up the vintage desire in people with the obvious attempt at copying 50 year old lume.
That's what I have an issue with, if it wasn't a clear "You like our vintage stuff what about this" type watch I think I could really like that omega. Imagine if it was a slimmed down regular seamaster that was less busy and more simply designed. That would be a sexy watch, but instead we get this obvious throw back rather than a watch pushing the boundaries of one of their current designs.

Wait, so do you have a problem with cream-colored lume or not?

Btw, the Pelagos does the exact same thing as the Omega SM300.
It's also a reboot of a vintage watch with cream lume.

Maybe its even that half the dial is shit and the other half is the aged color that I have an issue with. Like if your going to do it at least commit.

Turquoise lume > everything else

About 80$ a year ago.

>half the dial is shit
What?

THOSE ARE SOOOOOOOOO NICE

The cream on the Tudor is a clear design decision through the whole watch. The paint on the hands and around the indices is all the same color. The bezel even carries the same color. It seems like they are pushing what other colors lume can be and work with a whole watch rather than just slapping a bit on to strike up a feeling in people.
Not sure what connection you are trying to draw between those two pictures but that is clearly yellow not cream. The bezel is still white not cream. The indices and text on the dial is white not cream.
Do you see the difference now? One just added the "aged" look to the parts of a watch that ages where the other seemed to have designed the entire watch colour scheme of the cream lume. Like I said here it's the lack of commitment that I think I dislike not the cream color I meant white but was thinking shit because I don't like that dial lol. My bad.

I mean even the date has the same color. It carries that cream lume decision through the entire watch, not just in the like where it ages to a similar color.

>the slavspeedy is the strela
It is though. Sturmanskie wasn't used in anything noteworthy after Gagarin's three hander.

Bringing it back, too.

>Do you see the difference now?
No.
Both the Pelagos and the Omega SM300 are reboots of vintage watches, and they both use faux-aged lume, or just cream-colored lume depending on if you like it or not.
The only difference is that the Pelagos has a lot more faux-aged surfaces than the Omega.
There is nothing else on the Omega to give that cream color.

>Not sure what connection you are trying to draw between those two pictures
It's a vintage Tudor, of which the Pelagos is a reboot.
Just like the SM300 is a reboot of the 1957 seamaster.

Isn't that the kickstarter one that's a sad shell of what the Strela was?

Fat fuck.

Wait never mind, I'm thinking of this one.
That one you posted is stupid thicc though when compared to the original Strela, which is a shame.

So do you have to wind a solar or is it automatic?

>The cream on the Tudor is a clear design decision through the whole watch.
Lol, yeah; that "design choice" was simply "fake age everything that was white on the original Pelagos".
Such design choice. Much clear.

And I love the LHD btw.

Just watched Hodinkee Friday live.
Really good watch imo I would hope everyone here watches it.

I was watching TGV, sorry.

Yeah, the designer knows and will try what he can but the ST19 is thicc.

Everyone's talking about faking aged lume, but no one's bring up faked tropical dials.

Doesn't even look good.

What ever happened to the guy I sent that replica Rolex Datejust to? Did he ever post any pictures of it or get it working?

>So do you have to wind a solar or is it automatic?
it's automatic

At the courthouse right now with my Sub!

Thanks mobile Sup Forums

that's not a Submariner faggot

Wow that somehow manages to look worse than an actual sub

Hi dear sweet friends, can anyone recommend a good (and honest/fair) watchmaker in Seattle, or on the west coast? Or even in the lower 48?

stop that!

loose some weight

the sturmanskie chrono was worn by the first guy to buy himself a ticket into space.

its really neither guy. you can stop asking yourself questions now