Modern websites suck so much ass. How is any of is okay?

Modern websites suck so much ass. How is any of is okay?

>site disables zoom (on mobile devices)
>text selection disallowed or leads to popup
>floating clutter social media integration buttons that nobody ever uses
>changes scroll speed or smoothing
>changes look of scroll bar
>adblock-blockers
>js everywhere

Other urls found in this thread:

stallman.org/stallman-computing.html
contemporary-home-computing.org/RUE/
idlewords.com/talks/website_obesity.htm
youtube.com/watch?v=tefielQeHZY
youtube.com/watch?v=Ihli_guFhkU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Noscript + ublockO with Anti-social filters
Its retarded that even have to do this to get a good browsing experiance

Infinite scroll is a plague.

GNU IceCat with GNU Librejs doesn't have these problems.

This is why I want Net Neutrality to die

No Net Neutrality = slower speeds according to the shills.
slower speeds = js shit doesn't load and people stop visiting those sites because they don't work
people not visiting sites = site owners panic because they need to get more clicks.
Need to get more clicks + slower internet = ditching website bloat and getting back to mostly HTML shit.
Ditching website bloat = happy anons!

This is the only argument that makes sense for non net neutrality. You've changed my mind user.

thanks!
I have a much longer, very autistic version of this that spans like two posts and has a bunch of references to tech people complaining about the modern web, including Stallmeme and a few others.

Pretty much exactly my pet peeves as well.
A few I'd add

>infinite scroll
>images that can't be opened to a new tab by middle-clicking but insist on my lightbox bullshittery (that too often has slow as shit "fancy" opening animations to boot)
>image thumbnails that don't lead directly to the full size image, buy instead to *another* page that displays the larger picture
>automatically playing videos/sound on sites where the videos/audio isn't the primary content

post it, I wanna read

>site is loading
>site is almost finished loading, you can see the links already
>you move the cursor on the link
>you click and miss as the whole website just shifted down 50 pixels for a "this site uses cookies"-message, implemented in javascript that runs after the site has finished loading

>Literally replying to yourself

Blame the EU for that.

No brainlet no net neutrality means you have to pay extra for each website you want to access.

motherfuckingwebsite.com

>single page application

...why?

You asked for this.
Net Neutrality is a big concern that a lot of anons have been talking about lately, and we've seen arguments from both sides of the issue.
One of these arguments is that losing Net Neutrality will cause websites to get throttled unless you pay extra to an ISP,
and even then, some sites may still get throttled.

This is a very good point, but allow me to bring up a separate issue that some autistic anons and people in tech
have brought up in the past that might actually have a relation to this Net Neutrality concern.
That issue is of website bloat. I've seen anons bring this issue up on a few occasions, complaining about the
inherent bloat created by Javascript and other related interpreted languages, libraries, and frameworks
being used on the web. These bloated technologies can also very easily be used to spy on us, which is part of
the reason for certain popular web browser extensions such as NoScript and uMatrix.

The thing is, it's not just people on imageboards complaining about this. Many people in tech have brought up
this issue as well. Our lord and savior, Richard Stallman, includes a reference to an article on this topic
in his "How I do my computing" article, saying that he agrees with it and that it inspired the layout of his site.
stallman.org/stallman-computing.html
The article is one by Olia Lialina, author as well as Co-founder of the Geocities Research Institute.
contemporary-home-computing.org/RUE/
In this article, Olia makes a case against Web 2.0. Although it does not directly relate to bloat, it does
bring up the idea that users are not creating their own experiences on the internet, but are merely following
the shaped experience predefined by the author, hiding programmability and customizability of a system.
She also brings up that old Web 1.0 maymays such as peeman.gif, despite their crudeness, offer more expressiveness

than what is provided by modern sites. "because it is an expression of a dislike, when today there is only an opportunity to like"
It is my opinion that these shaped experiences also contribute to bloat.

Another person who has shared this sort of view is Maciej Ceglowski, who has released a talk/article
entited "The Website Obesity Crisis".
idlewords.com/talks/website_obesity.htm
In it, he explains that websites have become needlessly bloated, with one of his opening points being that a single tweet nowadays
is larger than a full-length Russian novel, and that even sites from Facebook and Jewgle that should be about reducing this bloat
are extremely and unneccessarily so. He also brings up the point of "Chickenshit Minimalism", or minimal sites that are still
overwhelmingly bloated due to Javascript shit.

This idea has been shared on Jewtube as well, with Bryan Lunduke creating "The World Wide Web Sucks", which has similar views as
the Ceglowski article.
youtube.com/watch?v=tefielQeHZY
He discusses the immense bloat of a browser attempting to load a common website such as CNN.com, in comparison to great software
achievements such as the system used the Apollo 11 Computer, or the original DOOM. He ends this talk by suggesting that the web should
return to HTML. Even the meme that is Terry A. Davis brings up bloat, although referring to software rather than websites.
youtube.com/watch?v=Ihli_guFhkU

Bitch, you think that is bad? Try browsing Sup Forums with javascript turned off. You don't get thread watchers, you don't get quote links, you don't get thread updates, the only way you can tell if a thread has updated is by pressing F5, and if the thread has been deleted by an asshurt janitor in the mean time, you'll just get a 404 instead.

So what does this all mean to Net Neutrality? Well if sites will be throttled, these bloated designs will have a hard time loading
on a slow connection. Hell, some people already have trouble loading them even with Net Neutrality!
But the idea of reducing the bloat and returning to an older web can have an impact here. If websites are throttled, owners will
still want people to come visit their sites. So a possible solution for them is to get rid of the needless Javascript, simplify
things, and thus have a site that will load very efficiently under the Net Neutrality-less internet.

I say that we use Net Neutrality as a means of killing off the bloat of the World Wide Web, and making it lightweight and decentralized again.
What are your thoughts?

This... is a good argument.

see
for more

nope

thread has 21 posts and 15 posters, of which you made what, 3 or 4?

It is unlikely that the guy is praising his own arguments.

and besides, I want net neutrality to be repealed regardless: it only affects burgeristan and it will potentially lead to the death of Sup Forums. Why would I be against it?

The macOS Sierra does not have this problem.

>thread has 21 posts and 15 posters, of which you made what, 3 or 4?
>It is unlikely that the guy is praising his own arguments.
wat?

I am all of

"The macOS Sierra" has had one one but TWO retarded password bugs.

bump

>going to sites other than Sup Forums and youtube

>going to sites other than Sup Forums

Hey there's other sites than just that.
where do you get your chinese cartoons from?

disabling javascript fixes all of those problems

Half the time I open up uMatrix, I die a little inside.

but then sites often refuse to load or function at all. Kinda makes it tough when you want to read an article but the page is all white until you enable js.
My idea in
leads to sites being made in a way that isn't completely fucking retarded.

because this was magically the case prior to NNs implementation in the first place?

same for me with noscript
I click a link to *insert website here*
I shouldn't also be connecting to *all these sites that I'm not on*

NN has always existed.
In 2015 a court challenge forced the FCC to reclassify ISPs to KEEP it that way.
Stop reading ancap propaganda.

boom, you just saved gook moot the monies on bandwidths which will allow him to host his own captcha rather than relying on googlefaggot shit.
bring back old 4chin without the shitty JS, for prosperity, also kill off phonefags again.
pleesh

Well. Fuck. Another upside for no net neutrality.

well it affects only the united states so i dont care, i already run javascript free :^)

yep!

No NN didn't exist up until 2015 until classification recommended by Obama and a bill was passed that classified broadband as a telecommunications.

Did you not read my post?
It wasn't a bill, but yes during the Obama admin they reclassified them. Because NN ALREADY EXISTED but a court case FORCED them to do it

retarded.
Allowing jew no-net-netrality to charge extra for access that is already widely available is not the way to deal with bloat.
your idea is like shooting your leg so you can get a bandaid.

>Not using a script to wget the page and then refresh
ausfahrt

EU only mandated that there has to be a cookie message, they didn't force people to implement it in the worst possible way.
(Although yeah, it's stupid)