Is Portuguese food common/easy to find where you live?

Is Portuguese food common/easy to find where you live?

Chicago area here, not at all since we never had any PT diaspora move here which is a shame because it's my favorite cuisine. I have to cook my own bitoque, caldo verde, and bifanas.

Pic very related.

proper cheeky

We have that in Chicago. The only thing that seems Portuguese about it is that they have Sagres and Super Bock. Haven't tried their pasteis yet.

>pasteis
that doesn't sound like nando's

i dunno what is portugese about nando's either desu, it's just chicken

They were on the desert menu, they called them "naughty natas" and were based on pasteis de nata. Not sure if you were getting them mixed up with pasties (which are also GOAT but I usually have to drive to Michigan to get them).

>Norway
>Bacalhau
yes

That's a sad bitoque, desu.

We have Frango de Churrasco here, which is grilled chicken with a special rub.

Nando's uses one of our colonies' version's recipe and isn't authentic Portuguese food. Never had it myself, so it may still be good.

Caldo Verde is pretty good. Do you add chouriço slices?

i cook all my chicken in the rub they sell in supermarkets it is pretty good desu

There are some immigrant Portuguese restaurants

Is it a standard BBQ sauce?

Since this is a Portuguese-specific thread, ours uses:
green peppers
garlic
piri-piri sauce (those small chilli peppers)
salt
vinagre
olive oil
rosemary
parsley

nah, they have a bbq one but there are lots with varying degrees of spiciness

And white wine too, I think.

Yeah, it's meant to be spicy, but it's not just heat. It has a flavour to it, too, which is kind of the point of the dish, since otherwise it's just chicken.

>Rice
>Meat
>Eggs
>Potatoes
WTF I love Portugal now.

>Jersey

Plenty seeing as they're one of 2 minorities we have and they run a fair few cafes

Portuguese rolls are pretty decent

>Portuguese rolls
Huh, weird name for Papo Secos. Yeah, they are the basic bread here. It's one of the things I miss the most abroad, along with proper coffee. It's always the little things.

Yeah, we like using 2 starches, often.

In Bergen city they sell small portions of Bacalhau as snack or a small lunch.

We have them a lot. My usually lunch is some havarti cheese and a few slices of chourição on one of those.

Yep but we can only get spanish and mexican chorizo here. I usually use the spanish since it's pretty close to what I had in Portugal, while mexican isn't even the same sausage.

I need to find a Portuguese girlfriend or something, I just cook my own stuff and I'm paranoid about it being too inauthentic sometimes.

I've also made bacalhau à braz, and I'm going to try pasteis de nata some time and leave them in the brake room at work if they're any good.

It's just very similar to our baked "rolls" so the simplest name is that + Portuguese. I don't like coffee so I wouldn't know how good it is, but I'm sure you could find a place that feels like home in St Helier.

It's the basis of brazilian food, so yes.

It's fuckin stake with egg and double portion of carbohydrates. It's the most retarded dish ever and there is absolutely nothing original about it. Also, any other retarded nation serves rice and potatoes together?

The sauce/marinade is pretty unique.

Yeah, I've seen this posted a couple times. You guys up there really like your tomatoes. I've always wondered if it's a cultural thing because it's a sweet fruit/vegetables that grows fast enough for your climate.

It's odd because we have a million recipes for bacalhau, but none of them have tomato.

Pão com chourição is 100% legit lusitanian afternoon snack.

Bacalhau à Braz is probably my favourite bacalhau dish, outside pasteis de bacalhau.

>Spanish chorizo
yeah, that's a shame, but it's probably as close as you're gonna get. I don't even know the difference, honestly, I think ours are meatier and theirs have more fat? but I'm not sure.

You don't need a Portuguese girlfriend, you need a Portuguese grandma. Getting together in a cold-ish (for us at least) windy rainy day with your family and enjoying a cozido is pretty great.

The coffee is a bit harder to get there, probably, since we use Brazilian beans and Italian espresso machines, which might be a hard combination to find. It's usually less watery than the rest of Europe, and much less watery than american coffee. The bread is easy to replicate, just some flour and milk, I think.

Yeah, Brazilian food is pretty much the tropical version of Portuguese food.

You have to let the steak marinate in wine for a while. It doesn't have to be complex to be good, mate, especially for a foreigner to be able to reliably replicate off of a text recipe.

marinading in wine is really nothing really special

doesn't need to be complex or fancy, but if you wanna talk about Portuguese food, it's kinda retarded to start with streak, egg and french fries

Like I said, the cafe owners are usually Portuguese immigrants so if you ask for your coffee done however, I'm sure they'd make it right.

I like Portugal.

Strong naval tradition, pioneers in navigation and discovery, tasty looking food

Y'all need a new flag though that red and green is killing me

I see where you're coming from, but it's a good stepping stone for people not used to the heavier uglier foods of the north/interior, even though they are tastier.

I was just doubting they had access to the ingredients there, but I suppose they can always import it. It really shouldn't be that hard, no.

Fucking tell me about it.

I forwarded your post to our parliament and hopefully they will do everything in their power to change it so you won't suffer anymore

I mean, imagine them starting with Cabidela.

>pão com chouriço
My forum buddy and I got this at a place near Santos after we went to Bairro Alto one night, I really need to learn that. My typical lunch isn't quite the same, it's just a sandwich with chourição slices.

I think I remember PT chouriço being smokier. If I lived in Massachusetts it would be easier to find.

>You don't need a Portuguese girlfriend, you need a Portuguese grandma

Kek, too bad my dad's family is 100% German (only 2 or 3 generations removed from Hesse), while my mom's family is German/Alsatian and Irish. The only good food in my ancestry is bratwurst and schnitzel.

>tfw I could have been a tuga-American from Rhode Island or Massachusetts and have delicious cod at family gatherings

Caldo verde is really nice start. It's simple, unique and tasty. Caldo for president!

Thanks, if things don't work out let me know, I can contact my government to bring you guys some democracy

Always liked that flag though, the dark blue and white look very regal and symbolize the sailing tradition

It was the first PT dish I ever cooked. My first caldo verde was pretty shitty because I got the wrong type of cale, used mexican chorizo, and water instead of chicken broth. Ever since then I've had it down, especially with fresh kale from my garden.

Nice. Of course everybody here claims that their grandma makes the best and most unique one but I'm pretty sure everybody can make at least a decent one in few tries.

>I can contact my government to bring you guys some democracy
Considering the tradition of both our countries, you'd probably end up nuking our neighbours and with us loving you for it. We'd call the new sea "Bacalhau Bay"

The flag really is great. We're saving it for a revolution. Can't put it up now and in 40 years bring it down.

>kale
Huh, I've always heard that word and assumed it was some sort of Spinach or Leek. We just call it cabbage here. Never realised it was the same. The first try sounds very disheartening, but glad you pulled through.

My grandma's Caldo Verde can beat your grandma's Caldo Verde. fite me irl

I was racist to a Portuguese girl once

I apologise

I don't know how easy it would be for you to get the ingredients, particularly the salted cod, but if you manage, try making Pasteis de Bacalhau (aka bolinhos de bacalhau or bolos de bacalhau). They are fried and should be ever so slightly crunchy on the outside, and creamy and slightly spicy on the inside. They are pretty delicious and most people love them.

Kek, what did you say/do?

There's actually an Italian grocery store in my town which sells bacalhau. It's not as much as I saw at Pingo Doce in Porutgal, but it's available nonetheless.

I was doing a professional qualification and we had to assign people to a hypothetical job in our business model. For the bants I gave the Portuguese girl the role of cleaner.

She didn't take it well and I got a light telling off from staff

If it looks like 's background, then it's probably as good as you're gonna get. You just opened a whole new world of Bacalhau. Try not to make it too popular, otherwise we're gonna end up poorer.

We really thrive on being the only fanatics of bacalhau, and get it reasonably cheap because not a lot of people want it.

That's cold. Portuguese women DO NOT take bantz very well, and do not enjoy losing control of a situation via humiliation. Just like all women, I guess.

>french fries
>steak
>eggs
>rice

What makes this Portuguese? I come from a very German region and we eat like that all the time.

bolinhos are great, I just hate when I occasionally bite into one with that sharp bacalhau bone

>Portuguese women DO NOT take bantz very well
kek, this happened to me once. She's that girl from culturepals who turned me down recently while I was in Caldas, we're still pretty close friends though.

It was more or less like that, it's hard to screw up salting cod, though. I usually only use a half kilo of it for dinner for my whole family (4 people) so it's more than enough.

I wish I could get Sagres around here, it's not the best beer ever but it's pretty refreshing and just feels right with PT food. We can get Vidigal though.

>The flag really is great. We're saving it for a revolution. Can't put it up now and in 40 years bring it down

Yeah true

Good things come to those who wait eh

The steak preparation, mostly. It's not a very old recipe, just an easy thing for restaurant to serve with local ingredients that we made our own. It's supposed to be filling and accessible to everyone. For more hardcore Portuguese cuisine, you have less generic-looking things.

Yeah. Motherfuckers sometimes bite back.

>it's hard to screw up salting cod
It has to be dried in the sun first. When Norway took back control over their waters, there was a period when bacalhau sucked because they skipped this. It has since gotten better, I think we sent some fishermen to join their fleets and handle it.

I don't know but I've been to Portugal and liked the food I tried, like caldo verde, arroz com pato, bacalhau com natas and some other things I don't remember
Top good

in my rural shithole they only sell sausages and beer/vodka

how much portuguese is in these?

All good choices. Neat seeing Caldo Verde getting so much love. It's very banal here, and I often forget about it.

Hmm. Not a lot to work with. No fish?

Also, beer/vodka pretty much tells Poland's tragic history.

there's occasionally Gadus chalcogrammus

It is good, because the ingredients are so fresh and such good quality, but the bacalhau dish mixed with rice isn't very enjoyable at all.

>Nandos
>Portuguese
>not just an overpriced low class fried chicken joint

British education

Mate, that's bacalhau. Dry it, salt it, and then re-hydrate it and you can make:

Bacalhau com Todos
Bacalhau com Natas
Bacalhau à Brás
Bacalhau à Zé do Pipo
Bacalhau à Gomes de Sá
Bacalhau à Lagareiro
Bolos de Bacalhau

And like, 100 other recipes. You're bound to find one you like.

>bacalhau dish mixed with rice
We have that? That sounds shitty.

Also vinho verde is very very nice.

>bacalhau and rice
the fuck? ugh

That's considered ""unique"" national food? It's the kind of dish you could find in a $5 menu restaurant for construction workers here.

The preparation is unique, and that's kind of the point.

>a $5 menu restaurant for construction workers here.
Yeah, same here. That's sort of the point.

I've attepted to make bacalhau com natas once but it didn't taste as good as at the restaurant where I tried it

just a clever way to sell what was once considered spoiled wine

>bad wine
I'll never understand why Brits slurp this up like it's good

This even more so.

it's refreshing

I'm trying to remember what it was called, but it's served everywhere in Lisbo, maybe arroz de bacalhau ? Or perhaps I confused and it was bacalhau a bras, either way it wasn't enjoyable to eat.

The thing I don't like about Portuguese, Spanish and Italian food is that they can be so simple but taste good simply because the ingredients are so much better than whatever """""vegetables""""" and """"fish"""" etc you can get here. However, Turkish food also highlights the base ingredients like other western med countries while being more refined and interesting.

Stupid americans on Sup Forums probably

This isn't true and you know it.

What are you talking about?

Rice and chips in the same plate? i had never seen than in chile outside cuban/colombian restaurans.

Also congratulations you absolute dumbass, you just discovered your diet is Mediterranean.

just don't tell us you liked casal garcia

Yeah, there's surprisingly not many photos of it. I just wanted one that had a whiter steak for the difference. Most of them have the egg on top of it.

The simpler stuff, yeah. We have the good ingredient and climate advantage. Olive Oil outside the Mediterranean fucking sucks and is bitter as fuck.

It's meant to be filling and simple. We don't much see it as quintessential Portuguese food, but it's unique and sold everywhere and most foreigners seem to enjoy it. It has a peculiar preparation method, but it wasn't even originally served with the potatoes and rice and egg, I think. It was just a way of cooking a steak and put on a bread.

nah pham, google that shit up

This one and whatever one your mum served me

And now to eat a sad cheese and ham omelette for dinner.

>Olive Oil outside the Mediterranean fucking sucks and is bitter as fuck.

but bitterness is not necessary bad irmão, it can just be the sign of fresh oil

So why would a Portuguese guy who showed us around for the day and who had nothing to gain except the opportunity to share it with us)
recommed it ?

Also I saw locals drinking this wine so stop being a knob

Heh, it was the whole thing. Olive oil is usually one of the most scammy things you can buy, in non med-countries at least.

When I was in America I bought Gallo and it tasted nothing like ours. Very disheartening.

No need to get nasty. Also, mum hates vinho verde so I know you are lying.

He probs reccommended it becuz ur a brit sucker who slurps that shit up like it's ambrosia d:^)

I think he means that Vinho Verde was an accident we tried and managed to sell.

We invented it and it's made and sold here, but not many people drink it. Same with Rosé.

No he took us to a restaurant outside the tourist strip in cascais that he really likes (and it was absolutely brilliant), where he recommended vinho verde with the sea bass knowing that he'd be drinking it too.

>Olive oil is usually one of the most scammy things you can buy
Agreed.

in non med-countries at least
Med and non-med alike. I have seen plenty of time people selling some 2€/liter crap from Pingu as homemade extra virgin eco superduper oil.

shut the fuck up and keep biting the bait

Whatever man. Also because you made me salty I just want to say that Portuguese beer is an abomination.

>being salty
ate too much cod? haha fgt

I only made that one comment, mate. I don't drink alcohol at all, I was just reporting.

Calm down John, it's just a banter. Glad you liked it and please come back.

Here's one for the nontuguese.

How often do you guys eat soup? I'm talking about when you're not lazily cooking for yourselves with whatever you have available, like in a canteen or something.

Here we don't much do the "eat your vegetables" thing for the kids, it's usually the soup that has all the vegetables, for the most part. I'd say we eat soup at least once a day.

fpbp

There's a lot of portuguese in my city but I don't remember seing any portuguese restaurants tb.h
Portuguese in my city are very discreet, sometime in even forget that they exists. If only arabs could do the same...

First time I've heard something not terrible from the Portuguese diaspora in France.

Everywhere else nobody complains, but Portuguese people in France are cunts.

Well they are discreet cunts I guess

When they come back here they all rent the more expensive cars pretending that they are theirs and pretend that they forgot how to speak Portuguese.

Despite everyone knowing that they are just working construction and living in a shittier apartment just so they can not look like losers when they come back. Apparently the second generation is a lot worse, even, but those don't come back.

Glad to hear that some of them are keeping to the national tradition of shutting up and mind their own business.

Not in here they aren't
fuking mongs

t. João Emigrantoção

Another Chicagoan here. Same, Brazilian Steakhouses are more common in this area, and there's even one in NW Indiana, but I doubt it's really that authentic.

this shit in your picture is not food

Have you had Picanha?

Shit's GOAT. The beef cuts vary from country to country, so maybe it's not as authentic as you'd hope, but the recipes should still be pretty good.

Farofa's great too.

Where you at? West suburbs here. Did I find the other Chicago Portuboo?

If I had the money and culinary know how I'd considering opening up a Portuguese restaurant in the area. I've never beent o a Brazilian Steakhouse but it just looks overpriced.

what, because it's not halal?

They're usually hiding in the Italian neighborhoods on the east coast

The rice does look pretty weird. It should be white.

At Restaurante Super Mário near Largo de Carmo the bitoque had arroz de tomate. Not technically standard but still good.