How much do you have to know about Linux to not feel helpless when something breaks?

Other urls found in this thread:

google.com
youtu.be/FhjOPgRBWIE?t=15s
usenix.org/system/files/1311_05-08_mickens.pdf
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Installation_guide
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>use ubuntu
>nothing breaks

You only need to know one URL.
google.com

this right here

Also, I would recommend you skip Ubuntu. It's nice, but the cracks start to show and then you realize you're pretty much on your own when something needs fixed, and suddenly you're expected to understand your operating system. I would definitely recommend Arch, it prepares you to understand the terminal but isn't actually hard to use.

you never get past that

>dont use compex/harmful software
>it just works
Linux itself doesnt really break.

>I would definitely recommend Arch, it prepares you to understand the terminal but isn't actually hard to use.
Sound cool.
Just want to dive in a bit more. So far I was able to fix most problems when setting stuff up and/or driver problems but constantly having to search through forums for clues doesn't feel like back in the Windows days so I want to learn more to cut down that search faggotry at least a bit

I've never had anything break, don't know what retards like you are doing to make it break. Even if it did I would just use a fucking search engine.

>I've never had anything break
>Hardware never fails

1. It's a kernel.

Do people on this board still think Linux will someday be mass adopted? Cause this just screams no to that.

>think Linux will someday be mass adopted
but it already is?

AHAHAHHHHAHHAHAAHAHAHAHA
oh wait you're serious......
AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Chrome OS is gentoo.

you have to know where all the logs are
that's bout it

>
>AHAHAHHHHAHHAHAAHAHAHAHA
>oh wait you're serious......
>AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Android runs on Linux too.

I am and you didn't specify desktop usage. so yes, it has been mass adopted for literal decades.

youtu.be/FhjOPgRBWIE?t=15s

Wtf does that have to do with Linux?
It's already used on a large majority of phones, servers, and super computers. As normalfags stop using desktop computers non linux operating systems are going to go extinct

>he uses stoneage memes to communicate
lmao

Debian. Really, just debian. After fixing random stuff the first week it's stable forever.

Then again I'm on a Windows machine and visualizing debian XD

Don't be so harsh on him, he clearly still has to acclimate

If you want to go balls deep, Install Gentoo

Depends on what breaks. Xorg?
Learn to use a text mode browser, and how to connect to the internet/wifi with the terminal.
Most things are just a web search or manual page away.

Linux nerds are always the funniest shit. They think they are literally smarter than Einstein because they use tech no one else wants to use, so they mock anyone who doesn't use their special type of OS.
It would be sad if I didn't get such a kick out of it.

all these morons
are desktop users who missed the point of the question. He's not asking about what happens when his window manager freezes, he's talking about what you do when you hit actual kernel bugs. You have to know a whole hell of a lot to get to the point where you can solve any kernel issue; which really means how to get to the point where you can figure out what maintainer to email and how to give him useful information on any given subsystem of the kernel. Frankly, few people ever get to the point where they really know what to do when the kernel shits itself.

You need to be like this guy: usenix.org/system/files/1311_05-08_mickens.pdf

>what to do when the kernel shits itself.

Alt + SysRq + [REISUB]

very few people get to the point where they manage to make the kernel break.

I had some graphics problems between Ubuntu 17.04 to 17.10. the screen graphics just showed jagged lines across the screen. It was an amd card but I never installed any drivers. just used the default ones.

It's weird because when I used the live CD for 17.10 it works fine, but as soon as I install it the graphics fuck up.

>It was an amd card but I never installed any drivers. just used the default ones.

pretty sure both the open source radeon and amdgpu are part of the kernel used in nooboontoo

Editing as root system configuration files without understanding. Where Windows blocks even administrator access ("file in use") Linux allows it (and breaks later).

if the kernel breaks, then it's fucked

Yeah it's an old machine, I think they made some changes a while back and decided not to support the old cards in order to move forward.

It's all good, I moved to a much lighter distro which I really needed to do anyway.

not to be that guy, but I started heavy use of linux with arch. I had only played with ubuntu and (graphical) debian beforehand, but Arch taught me more about operating systems than anything, plus documentation is fantastic.

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Installation_guide

know enough not to remove root directory etc not to turn your system completely nonfunctional
now how to read documentation

>he's talking about what you do when you hit actual kernel bugs.
I think that's a very bold assumption user.
I'm not one of those morons but it seems more like a general question of him expecting breakage in his Linux distro (for some reason) and he worries about it. He wants to know if he could feasibly get rid of this feeling.
This makes it more solid.

Really what we should be giving him is system debugging tools. More information helps you with uncertainty.

He's trolling you, user.

neither of them but arch is a good way to start off if you want to actually learn and do something more than just have a facebook machine.
I went from absolutely 0 experience with linux to wiping windows 7 and using arch exclusively for the better part of a decade now and counting.
now I expect to have to deal with bullshit whenever I want something done and am comfortable doing it and dealing with all the bullshit involved