Do you think the Linux desktop will ever be successful?

Do you think the Linux desktop will ever be successful?
What's holding it back? Is it all the variety of choices that attempt to achieve the same thing with few being any better than the others? Is it all the infighting happening in the freetard community?

Is it because it's free?

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/o/U3nFR/https://web.archive.org/web/20120901165525/http://linuxforniggers.us/index
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1448064/
google.com/amp/s/familyinequality.wordpress.com/2016/06/07/no-black-women-are-not-the-most-educated-group-in-the-us/amp/
solus-project.com
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Probably replying to bait. But, Linus Torvalds pointed out the 2 biggest reasons why Linux isn't popular. 1. Doesn't come preinstalled on normie computers, and 2. No easy application packaging.

Having to install your own OS, even Ubuntu is something people don't want to do generally, and having to do anything more than click a few times to use Chrome or Steam is too much work.

wtf i love black girls now

Nice ((thread))

>Major Linux Problems on the Desktop, 2017 edition
That's why it sucks. Read it.

Imagine getting so fat you were no longer capable of facial expression.

The main problem is the X-desktop configuration

What do you mean by application managing exactly?

Why do you keep posting niggers with white men? What is your end game?

>t. butthurt nigger

>Literally 56% faces

To normalize it, of course.

It pisses people off and gives him replies

It’s not preinstalled and people either don’t know or don’t care about the benefits of GNU/Linux.

How do you justify letting yourself get to such a condition?

i feel sorry for the girl. her family probably raised her like that

Linux could have worked but Google decided to fork it twice.

First for Android making apps that don't work with desktop Linux, taking all momentum away from NATIVE Linux app developing to focus on a Java VM (Android).

Second they made Chrome OS which is a fucking walled garden browser.

"one click" application installation. I.e. Download balls.exe and double click to install, maybe click next a few times.

wtf i love black people now

I appreciate it. The more I find black women attractive, the larger my pool of potential mates becomes.

Isn't that the point of the software center most distros include?

Also on Debian distros you can do that with .deb files...

Linux fails because everyone writing open source software wouldn't recognize a friendly user interface if it walked up and politely asked them to dinner.

>Doesn't come preinstalled on normie computers
Wrong. My Dell laptop came with Ubuntu

For me the problem is the graphical interfaces. I mean you either go gnome and get served an abstract desktop environment or use abandoned projects.

I use Linux on my computer, but I hated almost all of the DE/WMs I've used. Nothing provides a complete consistent solution.

I agree with this! It's just too messy and inconsistent most of the time.

>Eventually, I will find even apes attractive.

Can you even produce healthy offspring with them? No? Then are they in the potential pool of mates?

What was the point of your post?

Which one was it? Xps?

archive.is/o/U3nFR/https://web.archive.org/web/20120901165525/http://linuxforniggers.us/index

How could a nigress have such a disgusting lack of ass is beyond me.

MATE and Budgie are pretty good

It doesn't matter. Linux already dominates the most important normie market: phones.

That doesn't go away, not that I'd want it too.

The future is a beige planet

Made me kek, and this is a double post.

if all mixed babies looked like that then who cares,
most of the time the don't though.

Blasian women are the sexiest on the planet, and white+black girls are pretty close behind.

The root cause of that is Microsoft's monopoly practices, like Intel's monopoly is the reason AMD is left in the cold with OEMs.

That's also windows biggest problem. It comes with fuck all software installed and you have to go all over the place to get your random pieces of software, often risking malware and viruses. In Ubuntu for example you can just click on the software from a central source and it installs and just works.

thats probably the ONLY thing linux does better for general use compared to windows, everything else is really shit

>everything else

Explain yourself.

I also like workspaces and I've noticed Linux tends to have better transfer speeds for files.

>ring on finger

You can't produce healthy offspring by race mixing with niggers, you smug piece of shit. And that's ignoring the low IQ and predisposition to criminality.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1448064/

I just want you to know that I genuinely pity you

Android is based on Linux, it's not Linux itself, there have been changes made.

Nice job dodging the argument, you smug piece of shit. Here you go.
google.com/amp/s/familyinequality.wordpress.com/2016/06/07/no-black-women-are-not-the-most-educated-group-in-the-us/amp/

t. black cuck

Why do you kids get so tr0ggered over race pics. Relax. OP obviously posted a picture for (you)s.

As far as I know, you could in all likelyhood be an atheist/pagan hypocritical piece of shit that bitches when he sees a nigger with your kind while giving pre-martial-sex/slutting around, divorce and polygamy a pass (things that harm families way more than some random dude who you don't even know that is marrying outside his race). Gee Bob, get a life.

I think the biggest problem is that it doesn't come preinstalled on any readily available computer. Once that's done normies can Google and fix their own problems or ask their tech wizz kids

Maybe not linux, but I do think an open source desktop operating system is possible.

>Is it all the variety of choices that attempt to achieve the same thing with few being any better than the others? Is it all the infighting happening in the freetard community?

I'd say both of these play a pretty big part in why linux is the way it is. So much shit out there with forks and alternatives being developed side by side with none of the options functioning as well as their windows or mac counterparts. Hardware support is also quite sad with >50% of laptop GPUs out there being unsupported and requiring much trial and error configuration to get working; even then performance leaves much to be desired (i'm looking at you, optimus). I'd say the community though is the most to blame. Open source has become something of a dirty term lately, one associated with lower-quality and a 'anything this doesn't do out of the box can be added in yourself' attitude from the 'developers.' Sure, there's some really great open source software out there such as GParted which does exactly what it needs to fucking do and does it well. But for every integral piece of open source software that fulfills its job and will hopefully be around to years to come, there's dozens of poorly maintained garbage that honestly should not be available for typical desktop use. Distributors need to stop releasing their trash to the public and should instead keep it among themselves until it is out of beta. All they do when they release software that doesn't function properly is hurt the already piss-poor reputation of the movement.

It's successful at doing what I want it to do. So I guess it depends on what you define as "successful."

because

>install distro (any distro)
>either video/audio display or wifi is fucked up
>google through countless forum pages to find someone with the specific problem you have
>the solution is to edit a hidden .conf file with root privileges

when I'm home the least thing I want to do is fix my SO

I think it is successful for what it is.
What is holding it back is mainly tools.
Some professions are better supported than others.
A good example is programming tools.
Linux have the best or at least a very good ecosystem for developers.
Linux also have a good environment for server space but I think it is lacking in that department.
But many professions do not have the tools available and the mentality of those professions does not match linux very well.
A good example for this is mechanical engineering.
I don't think anyone can argue how freecad and openscad can fully replace inventor.
Simulation, documentation generation and the part catalog is crucial if you want to design stuff.
I also hear the graphics designers complain but I have no idea what they need.
But both these fields work best in a single application or with very good synergy between applications where the interface is something that isn't text.

Most distros don't have issues like that anymore

Try Solus for example.

>sudo pacman -S firefox
>A few clicks
Nigga what

Most applications have a systemwide config file in /etc and one in ~/.config.
The last one does not require root privileges.
The "hard" problem can be to find the application that have a problem and what config to circumvent the issue.
But the amount of software that have such issues is decreasing.

Have you ever reported the bug in those situations? Doing that is the easiest way to help getting it fixed

>Still clinging to outdated terminal when software center exists and is much more user friendly for the average user

>typing words in one application is better than typing words in another.

Does the software center warn you when you need to edit config files? (No)

That's why normies think Linux breaks all the time.

desktop is dead grandpa

Well yeah, it's still 2001 for some people like you.

>Installing binary packages via gui
>calls terminal "outdated"
>user-friendly

Typing a simple command in a terminal for installing a package I know exists in the repository is a lot faster than tediously searching and clicking through a GUI.

The terminal is not "outdated" and is still used and maintained by devs.

"User friendly" is an arbitrary statement. Man pages are "user friendly", speed in the workplace is "user friendly." Castrating the "average user" by not at least teaching them BASH or how to properly use a package manager via terminal is objectively not "user friendly." It's bullshit thinking like this that keeps normies believing that computers are supposed to "just work" and they become exclusively reliant on GUI and proprietary software without ever actually learning how to properly use/troubleshoot a god damn computer. Educating people is a lot better in the long run than holding their dicks while they piss for the rest of their lives.

Because posting white women with black men is only done in Sup Forums.

No manufacturer will be retarded enough to ship a device with Arch.

Nobody thinks Linux breaks all the time. Hand-written configs on zero software plus zero commercial support for the platform scares them away.

>Do you think the Linux desktop will ever be successful?

It already is for the people it serves, otherwise all the distros would have gone under 20 years ago.

>What's holding it back?

Nothing is. Free software and standards run mostly everything except the aging proprietary wrappers around them these days.

>Is it because it's free?

No.

People who had money to spend and wanted to look cool using UNIX used to buy MacBooks up until a few years ago. Steve's dead and they're fucking up the hardware and OS, so nobody does that anymore.

Developers actually do use Linux now, as scary as that might seem. If they would stop masturbating over window managers and systemd bullshit and actually design apps that people love, maybe human beings that actually reproduce would use it too!

dumb niggrposter

Linux being open source makes way for a few problems that make mainstream acceptance of Linux extremely hard. The fact that there are an infinite number of distributions. Autist A made Distro X and Autist B hates Distro X so Autist B decides to make Distro Y.

Most people just want a computer to get their boring work done, they don't care about any of the politics that the autistic Linux community can get into. There is the obvious barrier for most people like the command line, the reality is that will always be a problem for mainstream acceptance. A way to solve that problem would be to have a GUI that is actually well designed. Every DE ultimately looks like shit. You can spend hours upon hours doing work to get something that looks ok at best.

Have you seen?
solus-project.com

Already installed it for 2 people who both think it's pretty awesome. They both came from w10 though

Lol

Because people don't really need it. Why would you want to install an OS which is worse than the one your computer has? Normies don't fucking care about free software or good programming environment.
It's the same with GIMP. Why would you want to use it if PS is better and can be easily pirated?
Also, GNU/Linux world is still full of incompetent hacks that can't make a proper distro. Every one of them has some kind of an issue. Gentoo is unironically the only distro that just werks but whatever anybody says - it is a time sink.

Does not matter as long as there are people on this planet that cant even use windows properly after many years of use. Admit it linux is and forever will be tinkerer platform. Is linux great system for configuring everything yes is it bad for streamlined experience yes. Linux will never get to the point where it will get mainstream use as vanilla linux system. It will need heavy rework like android had done.

Children are raised with windows. It is used in ICT lessons in school and it was what their family computer probably ran on. OSX is easy to use and has alternative software that is as good as windows.

>eventually

> Being so fat that your body needs to store fat cells on your forehead.

WTF?

>Linux is a tinkerer platform
That's absolutely not true and you know it, Linux comes in great variety.

Nearly every computer on the market run windows out of the box.

Cannot lock people in.

>Why would you want to install an OS which is worse than the one your computer has?
Linux runs faster, is more secure and is easier to use (Mint, Ubuntu, Debian, Solus, Fedora...). The only problem is softwares that normies doesn't care 99% of the time (CAD software for example).
How is this worse ?

>ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1448064/
>Most of the risk items we assessed may be interpreted as related to stress, so we may therefore choose to interpret mixed race as a source of stress.

So they are more prone to this because people like you think they are an abomination.

What is a double post?

This. Linux is a great normie OS

dumb niggerposter

idk man, she seems a little young

btw, after a few generations they get whiter and whiter, look at that playboy chicks kids, they're pretty much white at this point

a nice game of chess

It is successful though. It's pretty commonly used among random normies, students, academics, large companies especially in oil and gas, and so on. Like what is your definition of success here?

for every pretty black girl there are 2+ ugly black bitches, for every pretty white girl there are 2+ ugly white bitches, just find a pretty, nice, compatible girl and don't worry about anything else

You don't, you just ignore it.

>Implying it's all one person

No business person at the helm making design decisions, and no one able to tell Linus to BTFO with his "all these thousands of window managers are fine" bullshit. Ubuntu help forum: 99% of answers are command line/edit config file bullshit. Package managers only exist to solve problems of 1980's mainframe operating system design, disks are 3 fucking terabytes now, just give every program it's own god damn folder and be done with dependency hell forever like on Android, OSX, iPhone, and any other operating system that's been commercially successful in the last 20 years.

Seems like bait, but just in case you actually believe this, all these problems affect windows too, most solutions to issues with windows 10 involve powershell (or a random potentially dodgy 3rd party app.) Windows/MS is also moving to the package management paradigm with nuget and chocolaty.

Btw linus has nothing to do with the dozens* of popular window managers.

open source is usually done by hobbists, by devs and for devs. At the beginning they may come up with good products, on the long term the product which is done by paid professionals working 40h/week on it is going to be more polished.

>google.com/amp/s/familyinequality.wordpress.com/2016/06/07/no-black-women-are-not-the-most-educated-group-in-the-us/amp/
>A fucking WORDPRESS site as a source
MY SIDES

/hr/ gets a lot of that too

Vista and Windows 8 prove 1 wrong. Millions were quite capable of ditching those for XP, 7, and 10.
If Linux was preinstalled people would uninstall it for Windows. That's why it doesn't come preinstalled. OEMs would happily charge people for free Linux rather than pay Microsoft, but they just can't do it if they want to sell to anyone.
Linux is too complicated and it has no software. It's a hobbyist OS.

>my computer should be work
Sorry, but a computer is supposed to be a labor saving device, not a labor creating one.

kernel desktop?