What happens to the surname of married women in your country? In the US...

What happens to the surname of married women in your country? In the US, the vast majority of women take the man's last name. But I think in Italy the woman keeps her maiden name, in Czechia they add an 'ova' to the woman's last name, and in some areas of India the women take the man's first name as their last name.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naming_conventions_in_Ethiopia_and_Eritrea
theguardian.com/weather/2016/apr/14/czech-republic-czechia-new-name
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Keeping the surname means you're cucked and she fucks your best friend

I have a friend whose last name is a hyphenated form of his parents' maiden names. But yeah, most women take the man's last name.

>In the US, the vast majority of women take the man's last name.

Normally this but a new trend emerged in 2000s. Women keep both surnames - maiden and husband.

here women still keep their name

I still think it's quite rare. I've only seen it a few times. What do they do over there in the Ottoman Empire?

Usually take the man's last name but in feminime form.
So if you're Grzegorz Kowalski, your wife would be Katarzyna Kowalska, not Kowalski like you can see in your country.

>in Czechia they add an 'ova' to the woman's last name
I guess it's not, it must be man's last name in the feminine from, just like in russian
Ivanov - man
Ivanova - woman
>Slavic languages

I could be wrong, but if a man's surname is Novak, I think his wife's is supposed to be Novakova.

When they get married they get a choice, but it usualy isnt that common anymore

Takes the man's last name in a feminine form. They can if they want keep their maiden name or combine it with their husband's name using a hyphen in any order. Most take the husband's name though.

>In the US, the vast majority of women take the man's last name.
And It's the same thing here.

Are you seriously trying to say that the USA are more conservative, respectful of traditions than Europe?

It's not a russian last name so in russian Novak still be Novak.
But if we take russian last name "Romanov" then she will be "Romanova"
Medvedev - Medvedeva
Dorofeev - Dorofeeva
Smirnov - Smirnova
etc
But it was just a feminine form

This. The only way it might be acceptable is if she's a doctor.

>Czechia

it's Czech Republic. you see that squiggly red line under it when you type that word? that means it doesn't fucking exist.

fucking FUCK you cunts that call it Czechia.

The maiden name remains after marriage.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naming_conventions_in_Ethiopia_and_Eritrea

t. Eritrean

>It's not a russian last name so in russian Novak still be Novak.
it's because novak doesn't have a feminine form

No woman here takes her husband's last name, I like it this way.

Ĩekija

They keep their surname but they add an "Of" and your surname

ex: Juana Servini de Cubria
this reads as, Juana Servini, of Cubria, as in married to Juan Cubria.

it used to be like that here with In, like Martini in Rossi if the woman called Martini was married to the man named Rossi, now it's pretty much exctinct except for mortuary announcements where it is handy.

not sure if its some feminist thing but i keep seeing more and more than women keep their own last name or use both

The traditional custom was women took their husband's name, eg my grandmother would not refer to herself in any other way, but you can't legally change your name in Mexico except for a very small number of exceptions so the costume has tended to disapear.

>What happens to the surname of married women in your country?

We make fun of it.

Since women are property of the husband, it only makes sense they keep the mans last name

women generally keep their first surname and add their husband's. Sometimes, they add their 2 first surnames.

It's very rare to see the opposite

Nothing, they keep their surname, kids also take both surnames, so my name is Sebastian (name) Restrepo (father surname) Alvarez (mother surname)

They can choose if they want to change their name. Some opt to take on a new name, I guess I'd call it a compound surname, in style "former surname"-"new surname"
like Virtanen-Kekkonen, but that's not really common. The children can get the surnames of either parent, their parents decide.

theguardian.com/weather/2016/apr/14/czech-republic-czechia-new-name

It's officially registered with the UN now senpai. Czechia Czechia Czechia Czechia Czechia Czechia Czechia Czechia Czechia Czechia Czechia Czechia Czechia Czechia Czechia Czechia Czechia Czechia Czechia Czechia Czechia Czechia Czechia Czechia Czechia Czechia Czechia Czechia Czechia Czechia Czechia Czechia Czechia Czechia Czechia Czechia Czechia Czechia Czechia Czechia