/gg/ - Gentoo General

/gg/ - Gentoo General

gentoo.org
Quick Install: wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Quick_Installation_Checklist
Quicker Install: chiru.no/u/installgentoo.txt
Prebuilt Gentoo image and binhost: ca.cloveros.ga
Packages: packages.gentoo.org
FAQ: gitgud.io/cloveros/cloveros/blob/master/FAQ.md
IRC: #gentoo on irc.freenode.net | #cloveros on irc.rizon.net (all questions or help welcome)

Come here for help or general questions, post your configuration, discuss packages or overlays, CloverOS, post your desktop, anything else Gentoo, etc. Newfags welcome.

Previous thread →

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/y7LndMCy
pastebin.com/T6Mg36yv
pastebin.com/kz7825r3
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Multipath
pastebin.com/raw/v3jN8ake
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:X86/Working/Portage#Blocked_packages
ix.io/CKN
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Is it even possible for me to install this without a wired internet connection?

No it's not

At least I don't think so

you can install the basic system, but if you want to update, you of course have to connect to the internet

Previous thread

sorry

was in a rush

Just reposting my post from the last thread as it got archived.

Ok so I'm still stuck on these 2 packages.

net-misc/wget-1.19.1-r2
dev-lang/python-3.4.5

If I run: emerge --update --deep --with-bdeps=y --newuse @world
I get the wget errors, here's the build.log
pastebin.com/y7LndMCy

and it also shows me some info about a preserved package: dev-libs/openssl-1.1.0g-r1
pastebin.com/T6Mg36yv

and if I run: emerge @preserved-rebuild
I get the python errors, here's the build.log
pastebin.com/kz7825r3

A quick note about the package.use setup. In my package.use directory I have 2 files

/etc/portage/package.use/package.use
dev-libs/openssl -bindist
net-misc/openssh -bindist
media-libs/mesa -bindist
>=dev-lang/python-3.5.4:3.5 sqlite
>=dev-lang/python-2.7.14:2.7 sqlite

/etc/portage/package.use/iputils
net-misc/iputils -caps -filecaps

Just to make sure I've got this right, package.use can be a file or a directory with files in it with any name

and it will just read them all right? I'm prettty sure it is reading those correctly

Just kind of stuck in a loop.

If you're talking wifi, it's absolutely possible. If you're on the minimal install, use net-setup, if you're on the LiveDVD, use the network settings in the bottom panel. If both official "solutions" don't work because of missing drivers, use a LiveCD of Ubuntu or whatever. Gentoo can be installed from virtually any Linux system as long as you're not trying to install Gentoo over it, as all required files are contained in the stage3 tarball.

you are going to have unmerge a bunch of packages and re-emerge them in a precise order to correct this problem.

openssl.c:(.text+0x6cd): undefined reference to `OPENSSL_config'
openssl.c:(.text+0x7c6): undefined reference to `SSL_library_init'
openssl.c:(.text+0x7cb): undefined reference to `SSL_load_error_strings'
openssl.c:(.text+0x7f0): undefined reference to `TLSv1_2_client_method'
openssl.c:(.text+0x9a9): undefined reference to `TLSv1_1_client_method'
openssl.c:(.text+0x9b6): undefined reference to `TLSv1_client_method'

Looks like you haven't re-emerged openssl/openssh.

Ok, I'll go splash around a bit more and see if I can't fix it/break it some more. Still early days for me so all good learning experience.

Use system rescue cd instead of livecd, it has pretty good support for most wifi cards

You can install Gentoo on basically any live medium, so, yes. The Gentoo liveCD itself is mostly just for ceremony, not nearly as useful as Sysrescue.

is the python update ready?

if you mean 3.5 it just came down in the last couple days, seems fine to me

Yes

Gentoo users, why are you using Gentoo instead of Arch?

Does adding the truetype use flag to my system pull in nonfree code?

Also my system takes an unusually long time to get to the enter decryption password prompt. is that because of module signing or something?

I like a distro that works

>Does adding the truetype use flag to my system pull in nonfree code?

No. It used to be patented but they expired.

I wanted an OS with recent packages that didn't break everything and force me to use the operating system a certain way. Gentoo solves my need for near bleeding edge, while being open to more software options, which don't restrict me to using specific software.

- no systemd. Installing OpenRC on Arch will break compatibility with many packages and it's also more effort than setting up a Gentoo system. I've tried the arch with openrc installers. The one from sourceforge labeled arch-openrc was unable to encrypt my disk. Obarun just wouldn't boot after I installed it. Parabola had a dependency issue, which left me unable to install base-openrc. Gentoo doesn't have these problems.
- My software setup requires me to install a bunch of packages from source anyway to get features that it doesn't usually ship with, like JACK support on Firefox.
- Package slotting is nice. I don't remember Arch offering slotted GCC, which means that you're stuck with the newest GCC unless you compile old versions yourself, and if those older versions don't compile on the most recent GCC, then you're fucked.
- Arch updates fuck with kernel modules fairly frequently, meaning you have to reboot your system or you won't be able to plug in new USB devices and other annoying problems like that.
- Arch doesn't have a good way to audit how much nonfree software you have. I think you can install vrms through AUR, but I don't know how well that works. In Gentoo, you can just tell it to install only free software and it's trivial to swap from the gentoo default kernel to the linux-libre kernel.

AUR is fucking garbo, plus PORTAGE_BINHOST="cloveros.ga" has all the unsupported binaries i ever need

you can update gentoo without it breaking, also it gives me the ability to use better cflags for a faster system

You can choose the versions of packages you want to install on Gentoo.

ah, that would explain why installing Wine on Ubuntu at work gave me a truetype EULA screen. For some reason Ubuntu 16.04 has a version of Wine from 2013 as the wine virtual package.

Gentoo has a better package manager.

>you can update gentoo without it breaking
I used Arch Linux for a year and the only update that ever gave me trouble was one time where firewalld didn't update correctly and I had to delete all the files pacman was complaining about. It didn't do any real harm to my system. The Arch is unstable meme stopped being true years ago.

Portage is pretty spaghetti and slow. Emerge is a nicer frontend than pacman, but projects like Palidus seem like a good way forward. Unfortunately, cave is such a shitty frontend that I just gave up and uninstalled Palidus.

I moved from Arch to Gentoo after being fed up with reinstalling it all the time. Right now my Gentoo install is older than all of my Arch installs combined

I have a gayman keyboard with usb pass through, which I use for the mouse. it only works on my x220s USB 3.0 port. if I plug it on the 2.0 port the mouse works fine, but the keyboard doesn't work at all. the solution (found on a 2007 forum thread) seems to be a kernel parameter CONFIG_SCSI_MULTI_LUN=y, which is not present in recent kernels. how would I find the modern equivalent parameter?

Have you given this a read? wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Multipath

I know one person irl who uses Arch, and he acts autistically high and mighty about it.
>don't use (distro), use Arch, it's the best
>X is shit, use Wayland
>I used to use i3 but now I use dwm because it's the best
>wtf are you talking about systemd is great
I don't know whether what he says is true but how he says it puts me off. Gentoo seems like a good system to learn about my system.
>pic related, finally configured wifi firmware properly

looks good!

>X is shit, use Wayland
I still don't understand what the benefit of Wayland is. Does X have an actual performance impact? Does the lack of security of X matter?

no, never came across that. looks promising, I'll give it a try. thanks for the help user

Upgrade your profile:
emerge --sync
eselect profile set "default/linux/amd64/17.0"

bump

only 80 packages to upgrade this time.

Wayland is planned to replace Wayland and its byzantine code one day. IMO still has a ways to go.

What DE is that?

i3wm
says in the screenfetch dummy

>change profile to 17 version
>emerge -e @world
> hours pass
>check progression before going to sleep
>645
>wake up
>it fails because of an unspecified matplotlib fuckup
What do?

Is there any advantage to hardened now that pie is the default?

SELinux

CFLAGS/hardened USE flags that trade performance for security

--keep-going you retard

I get the same thing, remove it

package.use
dev-python/networkx -doc

emerge -1O networkx
emerge -C matplotlib
emerge -uavDN world

There's a default/linux/amd64/17.0/selinux profile as well though.

How about using a normal profile with USE="hardened" then? Are there any other differences? I looked through the files in the profile directory and the only thing I saw was some pax stuff which I don't think is supported by the mainline kernel.

I think the regular profile blocks some instances of USE=hardened

Just change to hardened and emerge world, see what happens

Well, I've been on hardened anyway for ages but this recent profile update got me thinking.

Okay, I'll do it myself and pastebin the result.

At this point, you should update the USE flags and stuff before you do the full update

No need, I'll switch to default and see what happens, then switch back.

Thanks anyway!

pastebin.com/raw/v3jN8ake

In case anyone wanted to know, here's what portage wants to do:
[ebuild N ] sys-apps/tcp-wrappers-7.6.22-r1 USE="ipv6 -netgroups -static-libs" ABI_X86="(64) -32 (-x32)"
[ebuild R ] sys-libs/gdbm-1.11 USE="berkdb*"
[ebuild R ] dev-libs/libpcre-8.41 USE="jit*"
[ebuild R ] x11-libs/libvdpau-1.1.1 USE="dri*"
[ebuild R ~] net-dns/dnscrypt-proxy-1.9.5 USE="-hardened*"
[ebuild R ] dev-util/pkgconfig-0.29.2 USE="-hardened*"
[ebuild N ] sys-libs/db-5.3.28-r2 USE="cxx -doc -examples -java -tcl {-test}" ABI_X86="(64) -32 (-x32)"
[ebuild R ] dev-lang/python-2.7.14 USE="gdbm* -hardened*"
[ebuild R ] dev-lang/python-3.5.4 USE="gdbm* -hardened*"
[ebuild R ] net-nds/openldap-2.4.44 USE="berkdb* tcpd*"
[ebuild R ] sys-libs/pam-1.2.1 USE="berkdb*"
[ebuild R ~] media-libs/mesa-17.3.0_rc5 USE="-pic*"
[ebuild R ] net-mail/mailutils-3.1.1 USE="berkdb* gdbm* tcpd*"
[ebuild R ] dev-lang/perl-5.24.3 USE="berkdb* gdbm*"
[ebuild R ] dev-qt/qtscript-5.7.1 USE="jit*"
[ebuild R ] dev-qt/qtdeclarative-5.7.1-r1 USE="jit*"
[ebuild rR *] media-video/ffmpeg-9999 [9999] USE="-pic*"
[ebuild rR *] media-video/mpv-9999
[ebuild R ] media-sound/mpd-0.19.19 USE="tcpd*"
[ebuild rR ] dev-games/openscenegraph-3.5.1-r2
[ebuild R ] sys-apps/man-db-2.7.6.1-r2 USE="berkdb* gdbm*"
[ebuild R ] sys-libs/glibc-2.25-r9 USE="(-hardened*)"
[ebuild R ~] sys-devel/gcc-7.2.0 USE="fortran* pch* sanitize* (-hardened*)"
[ebuild R ] sys-apps/iproute2-4.4.0 USE="berkdb*"
[ebuild R ] sys-devel/gcc-6.4.0 USE="fortran* pch* sanitize* (-hardened*)"
[ebuild N ] virtual/fortran-0 USE="openmp"
[ebuild R ~] www-client/firefox-57.0 USE="gmp-autoupdate* -hardened*"
[ebuild R ] sys-cluster/openmpi-2.0.2 USE="fortran*"
[ebuild R ] sci-libs/fftw-3.3.6_p2 USE="fortran*"

Hi guys, Debian user here. When I am root and try to install AMD drivers (HD 3450) it gives me an error messaged of permission denied. How is it possible? I am stuck with a limit of 1024x768 resolution instead of 1360/768 and 1080p

thanks

AMDGPU or Fglrx doesn't support gpus that old, either upgrade gpu or stick to radeon. Enable modeset or configure Xorg to fix your resolution.

The open source driver is better for old Radeon cards.

I need help for that. I did install drivers a longtime ago and never, ever been able to have the xserver working, stuck in text mode and had to reinstall OS - Thanks for the help it is my weakness for GPU drivers.

If a Ubuntu livecd doesn't just work, then I'd definitely buy a new video card before attempting to fix your Debian

I don't need a new GPU for it, it is an old eMachines H6212. Suggestions of cheap GPU better than ATI HD 3450 512mb?

Does install have full disk encryption yet?

install gentoo

no, you'll have to do it yourself

In Gentoo terms, this means yes.

picture of my gf using a thinkpad

your gf is a tf

>moot will never be my gf
;_;

OpenRC is much better than systemd. Portage is better than pacman. dispatch-conf and glsa-check are fantastic tools. You can actually customize programs in Gentoo unlike in Arch where they purposely package things with as as many dependencies as possible. The real question is why would you use arch ever.

You could try pkgcore, it's another portage compatible package manager and I hear it's pretty fast.

I can't see a performance difference. Also the only real benefits security wise of wayland are that only the window manager can take screenshots or do keyboard shortcuts. Theoretically this means that wayland prevents keyloggers and screen scrapers but realistically it just means a pain in the ass for legit programs and more complicated malware.

So i downloaded clover os and i wanted to use i3-gaps so i installed it but i cant log in to i3 gaps through the wm options can someone help

Works here. What happens after you hit i after login? Is there an X server already up? Kill X

first time using i3

nice penguin

Finally managed to make some progress.

The SSL problems seemed to be related to a line in the /etc/portage/package.unmask file: =dev-libs/openssl-1.1.0g-r1

Once I commented that out and ran emerge --update --deep --newuse --with-bdeps=y --autounmask-write @world it emerged an older version of openssl

Then I ran into some python problems. After installing multiple different versions including the newest one it seemed to get past all the obstacles in emerge --update

Not sure how I got into that mess. This was a fresh minimal install. I guess with what I've done now its bloated it out a bit unessessarily and probably created other problems. Learning a lot though. Just lost my ssh connection to the machine now so I can't see what it's doing. I'll leave it till tomorrow to try working on it again. That emerge update was taking a very long time so I down want to interrupt it before it finishes.

you can boot from zfs.

What are actual advantages for using gentoo?
Genuinely curious, unironically considering installing gentoo right now

Gentoo is super customizable, it's so customizable that it's sometimes called a metadistrobution because every Gentoo install is unique. Also it has nice tools like dispatch-conf (which helps you merge or replace updated config files) and glsa-check (which checks your system for vulnerable packages).

tfw no sigourney weaver gf

[blocks B ] app-emulation/wine:0 ("app-emulation/wine:0" is hard blocking app-eselect/eselect-wine-1.2.2)
[blocks B ] app-emulation/wine:0 ("app-emulation/wine:0" is blocking app-emulation/wine-staging-2.17-r1, app-emulation/wine-staging-2.19)
[blocks B ] app-emulation/wine:0 ("app-emulation/wine:0" is hard blocking app-emulation/wine-desktop-common-20150204)

* Error: The above package list contains packages which cannot be
* installed at the same time on the same system.

(app-emulation/wine-staging-2.19:2.19/2.19::gentoo, installed) pulled in by
app-emulation/wine-staging:2.19 required by @selected

(app-emulation/wine-9999:0/0::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
app-emulation/wine

For more information about Blocked Packages, please refer to the following
section of the Gentoo Linux x86 Handbook (architecture is irrelevant):

wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:X86/Working/Portage#Blocked_packages

noticed this while doing a depclean today. I have winetricks installed but it thinks that its a dependancy for wine when i have wine-staging installed instead and so gives me this shit. any help?

use wine-any

what will that do? will wine-any allow me to keep using wine-staging?

package.use
app-emulation/wine-any staging

emerge -C wine wine-staging
emerge wine-any

I wonder how tf you type in links to your browser

just booted into the new kernel

like this

can you share your bar? its cute

it's just polybar
configuring it is pretty straightforward
here's my config if you think you need it for some reason though ix.io/CKN

Why is my terminal so fucked up (not displaying characters) in X? It isn't this way in tty.

More or less a fresh install, infinality and fontconfig USE flags, both programs installed

forgot pic

did you pick the desktop profile?

those should probably be bold
that fixed font or whatever for some reason doesn't support bold probably
try either disabling bold or using a different font

No, I picked the minimal one. Probably a good idea though. I'll tell you in a few hours if it worked.

>I picked the minimal one
you fucked up
pic the desktop profile and disable USE flags you're absolutely sure you won't need