Two years ago I bought a CX 550M to power my gaming rig, and a cap blew on it a few months ago...

Two years ago I bought a CX 550M to power my gaming rig, and a cap blew on it a few months ago. Corsair sent me a CX 650M as a replacement, and a cap just blew on it yesterday.

Is it normal for caps to blow on these PSUs? I read it's normal since they're cheap.

I usually keep my desktop unplugged until I need it and then give it power and boot it up. Both times the caps blew it was after plugging it in and having it boot.

Other urls found in this thread:

jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story5&reid=416
jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story6&reid=528
jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story6&reid=366
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I used the RM and RMx series and they seems to be fine. Anyway I would not touch CX series as they are absolute low-end stuff. RM is at least Low-Mid tier

>buying corsair ever

fuggin bad luck user i still have my VS550 had it for like 4 years now never had a problem with it

That explains why they keep blowing up. The warranty replacement they give me will probably be a CX series, as well..

Combination of really bad luck and CX.

There are reasons jonnyguru gave these units' bigger sibling, the CX750M, just 6/10 in build quality.
jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story5&reid=416

Caps blowing on PSUs is relatively normal however on a well engineered product using good quality components it shouldn't happen, at least not for a very long time.

It's more likely to occur on cheaper lower end PSUs. Premature capacitor failure is usually due to either cheap Chinese components or bad PCB layout (placing filter caps near power components and heatsinks).

Guess I won't be buying Corsair on my next build. Thanks, Sup Forums!

Just gonna have to file a warranty claim and hope for the best on the next one.

I'm on my third CX650M, meaning I RMAed 2 times, if it dies this time, I'd be out of warranty...

It's a shame as it's nice and quiet when it works, but then it'll suddenly keep rebooting when the GPU starts pulling power.

Fantastic warranty though, no questions asked, sent a guy down to my place to pick up my PSU and warranty card, sent me a brand new one the same week with my old warranty card taped to the box and the new serial number written on it.

>I read it's normal
>Is it normal?

Why make this thread

Wow looks like I dodged a bullet with TX

Buy a seasonic and rest easy at night.

Wanted Sup Forums's experienced opinion instead of just one guy's opinion. Got good advice on which PSUs to get, too.

I'm thinking of just selling the warranty replacement and buying something more quality. I'm worried if it blows again it might damage components in my PC

>Is it normal for caps to blow on these PSUs?
It is if you buy Corsair. Absolute trash tier.

A capacitor is ridiculously easy to replace and if that's all that went bad with those PSUs you still have perfectly good units.

RM/TX and above is fine, retards saying corsair makes shit at all tier are gay.

CX is literally for replacing broken trash on prebuilts

whats a good psu here? im currently using some antec psu and have not had any problems with it and its been in use for 5 years on my home server that is always on and has an ups too

Seasonic is generally seen as the best brand. They even give 12 years of warranty on some products these days.

Op buy a surge protector

If you have two caps blow in such a short period of time, I'd start taking a look at my other hardware and the power coming in from Mains, as it might be indicative of a larger problem you're having. If you have ridiculously dirty power coming in from Mains you should address that.

Antec 'make' pretty good PSUs, their earthwatts power supplies are probably some of the best made currently imo, otherwise get a seasonic or if it's a low power situation get a delta oem one.

>buy silverstone PSU 10 years ago
>still functions with perfect voltages

Maybe you should do some research next time

>Is it normal for caps to blow
>on anything
>ever
No. And no matter who you buy from odds are they are using the same $0.05 off the shelf parts.

The desktop has been on a surge protector since the first PSU blown, so I was surprised this one blew.

I've owned several Antec PSUs over the years. Almost every one of them has died within a couple of months of the warranty expiring, and I think they were usually 3 year warranties.

Now I'm running Seasonic power supplies with 10 year warranties. Wait for a good deal to come up on Slickdeals.net.

I had the CX650m too user. It failed catastrophically somehow one evening (power surge, shutdown, the world will never know). When it failed it took my motherboard with it. Thankfully my other components were spared.

As compensation for making me wait T H R E E M O N T H S for my RMA, they sent me a RM650x instead. I doubt I'll go Corsair again though.

A large proportion of electrical/electronic failures occur when you energize a circuit, so it's best to leave things plugged in unless you have a distinct reason to unplug. To that end, surge protectors are also a good idea since their use allows to to leave things plugged in during electrical storms or other weather conditions that might affect the grid. Bottom line is that every time you unplug something without a good reason, you're introducing an opportunity for failure.

There's nothing wrong with Corsair's high end stuff. Even their mid-range stuff is fine. JG recently gave the TX750M a 10 for build quality.

jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story6&reid=528

I had a TX750 (not the M variant) that the fan had gotten jammed. I didn't notice for at least a few months. It continued to work for two years. I sold it two years ago, so I don't know if it still works now, but I got five years out of it in total.

corsair are known to send their good stuff to reviewers.

fuck, I just bought a CS650M

>have a CX750 for more than 3 years
>still haven't blown off/have a problem yet
should I be worried though?

This thread is about CX/CXM. CS/CSM is alright.
jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story6&reid=366

they should have just stuck to rebranding RAM.
i own a corsair case with a fan controller.
something in the bloody thing increased in resistance until the fans didn't spin anymore.
Asked Corsair, they sent me a new fan controller. Same thing happened after a couple of months again.
Put shitty old Scythe fan controller from old case in instead. Has been working for 6+ years without a problem.

I cannot fathom just how cheaply corsair products must be made to be beat out by run of the mill china trash.
Just a month ago one of the cases fans also died, first fan I've ever had just stop working in 25 years. Admittedly i do not still have the first ones to try and see if they work, but I always used my old stuff to give my parents a free upgrade whenever i changed my system and none of it ever broke.

You're thinking of EVGA

I bought a HX1000W back in 2008 and it's still working.
Buy good PSU, don't have shit electricity and your stuff will survive.

Thanks for that info. I'll be sure to keep my shit plugged in. It's on a surge protector already so with that in mind I guess there's no point in turning everything off

Fuck. I've had a CX650M for almost a year now. Sometimes when turning the PC on the fan will sound strange but turning it off and on it'll be silent. Other than that nothing's been wrong with it, I'd have to shell out more than 100$ to replace it. Should I?

The first time my PSU blew no other components were damaged.

I have a CX450m. Should be fine for years to come. I am a relatively humble gamer without the need to have urrr muh god 1080ti

Very bad luck.
I have very old Corsair VX550 (550W & 41A on +12V1), no problem till today.

>Seasonic
>titanium

If this thing blows, I quit.

I don't know senpai. My CX600M is still going strong after 3+years, never had a problem with it.

Jonnyguru works for Corsair.

>cheaping out on the most important component in your system
no sympathy for you

this desu

And he doesn't write reviews for the site any more as a result. But then it totally fits this place to take the contrarian angle of disliking the one trusted PSU review site on the entire internet. Enjoy your TechPowerUp advertisements.

You have a surge happening somewhere in the wall change walls or surge protector.

Only bad PSU I ever had, which completely fried my mobo, was a Corsair. Even cheapo Thermaltakes I've picked up from BestBuy never failed me like that.

isnt corsair a gamer brand? i would never buy anything from those.

Antec, always been good to me. Back in the day, before they sold out, PC Power and Cooling was considered to be the "gold" standard. Used to sell cases and case fans to. Still got two of there Personal Mid Towers in storage.

>OklahomaWolf

Wait do you mean it blew the capacitors off your mobo?