Mcmansion discussion thread

Mcmansion discussion thread

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=PB8TWMKHHMQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

are those real bricks?

Bricks are made of cardboard like the rest of the house

Yes, but they're only a facade. The bricks themselves aren't load bearing, and only exist to cover the prefab frame of the house.

Why do Americans build paper houses in tornado prone areas?

This mob called Storybook Homes makes kits for that American style of thing. They're pretty divisive here, either love it or hate it...

Because tornado insurance is cheap

here's the bigger version of that kit

could be, could also be brick veneer

They aren't load bearing

A mansion for the price of an apartment in Europe? What's not to love?!

I will never understand the stone base for these things. is looks so out of place

My favourite of the American styles is that plantation manor house type thing.

> tfw just autistically spent 15 minutes trying to find one I have seen IRL on google street, but the car never took any good photos...

This kind of lego house is typical of coastal areas, the current trend is rendering the fuck out of everything

Rich, outer Sydney suburb, still rendering the fuck out of everything

>2016
>live in houses made of cardboard and plastic

A proper country mansion. They're usually only single story and really long and skinny

What's the point in building that way? I doubt it really is that much cheaper than using actual bricks or we'd be doing it ourselves.

down the street from me

What city?

los angeles

It's quick and cheap

you may not do it because it's probably standardized by modern, wealthy companies

I mean big construction entities that are used to doing hundreds to thousands of these projects annually and thus see the merit in fake brick as opposed to real brick

The wog mansions that ethnic fellows seem to enjoy...

> concrete for a yard

I often wonder why breeze blocks (do you guys call them cinder blocks?) aren't more popular here, especially since everyone just renders everything anyway?

Is it just because they're seen as white trash?

They are bigger than normal bricks, so you need fewer of them, less mortar, the bricky has to do less work, but they're still cheaper than normal bricks... but every cunt avoids them like the plague

The slag is a little radioactive isotopes (uranium, and others). But the Communists have built houses of cinderblock, coat the inside walls with a thick layer of plaster to avoid penetrating radiation.

I suppose that would depend on where they were quarried though.

jfc no wonder the twin towers fuckin collapsed

The blocks of foamed concrete is very well keep warm and quiet, but they hold the load only one floor. Two floors of which can not be built.

disgusting, looks like your typical modern construction in an affluent neighbourhood in southern california

>Have a massive fucking yard
>Do absolutely nothing with it

I could forgive the copypasta exterior but the layouts are really, really awful. You'll have the open-space combo of kitchen/living room, but then 2 sides rooms that usually double as "2 sitting rooms" or "that dining room no one uses and the sitting room". Odd-sized rooms upstairs, usually to squeeze in 1 extra "bedroom" in what would otherwise be a small office.

I live in a similar (not as nice exterior house) in a planned neighborhood. There's no windows in the hallways, or on the left side of the house to prevent seeing through to your neighbor's house. The windows in the rooms are maybe 2 feet from the floor so you can't really arrange anything against a wall. Odd sized closets (one bedroom has a nice-sized closet, the other has a doorframe 1/4 smaller than the other and significantly less storage), and just general oddities that might have seemed good on the plan, but no one stopped to question once they started building.

One upside is that these newer homes almost always have laundry rooms on the second floor, and a 2 car garage.

I think most of these get build so that HOA can force even the poor-er people who can afford them to not let the properties get too shitty looking, but knowing people drive around looking for shit to give you letters about is annoying.

Laugh at the decorative brick, but all vinyl-siding is literally the most souless looking house in existence. Pic Related

Aren't they built so cost efficiently that it ultimately hinders their livability?

why don't we build with brick anymore?

youtube.com/watch?v=PB8TWMKHHMQ

Would you rather live in a city apartment or in OP's pic?

OP's pic is a shit hole

and im not a cager

so apartment, like i do irl

>5 minute walk from rapid transit station and access to every relevant destination in town in an hour or so max

depends if i have a family or not

I'd rather have walking distance to every relevant place. Drivong 1hr or more to work, 30 minutes to the store, 45mins to friend's place sounds like faggotty.

What are the disadvantages of building with stone in New England?

this. It literally takes me 5 minutes to get to the nearest gas station.

What happens if you have a family?

Theres a 59 acre property for sale for $2 million near me.

Wish I could just buy a few acres rather than the whole thing.

and?

Finnish sub-urban areas exist near relevant places and don't force the inhabitant to lose hours of one's life to sitting in a car. I actually do live in what you would call a sub-urban area. 10min walk to train station and the route I take has a store, 20 minutes with train to work. Urban planning 101 that is not owned by car industry lobbyists.

Buy half or 1-2 acres and build a house. Since its on 59 acres, I bought many people would be around, could just make a dirt road and try out the nudist lifestyle.

I'd rather meme to every relevant meme

My family is descended from Sami's that were opressed in your country. Can I get finnish citizenship and free handouts? If not now, will this be possible in the future?

Skilled labor, too expensive, especially for a development. You'd have to buy land and plan your own house. It's also not a great material for every part of the country. Furthermore, "Another disadvantage is that if your gutters get clogged and water drips on the brick, the brick will suck up the water and transfer it to the inside plaster. This causes paint to peel. "

This completely depends on the city. My closest city is Baltimore, and believe it or not, there's some really nice reno'd townhomes, however, they're far more expensive per sq. footage as is, but you have to consider you'll have to pay a lot more to not live in a "bad" section of the city. Baltimore also does not have great mass-transit. Uber makes it easy, but everyone here still commutes to work, so everyone still has car, and parking can be a nightmare with so many people (usually 3 adults, 3 cars) to one townhouse. The most you'll find is a one car-spot behind back.

If you're young and can afford to live with just another person, it could be really fun, but as I get closer to 30, giving up the storage space would kill me...no more garage projects (there's no basement or ground-level suitable to work on or keep table-saws, for example). The second bedrooms usually double as roof-deck access, so if that room is occupied/rented, you can't just barge through to go up top.

Not to mention, the Reno Look is just as predictable as the McMansions: an exposed brick wall, pergo or snap-together wood floors, recessed lighting. The old windows look nice, and the skylights are always welcome, but I've been to 3 houses in the same neighborhood, all owned privately by different people, and they all look the same.

Pic Related, this is the roof-deck of a $950,000 home in one of the better living areas.

All the new construction here is so shit compared to even 10 years ago. I'd be surprised if much of it lasted 20 years without falling down desu senpai.

Looking at buying a place soonish and all I want is a 1970s double brick house that'll outlast the apocalypse.

This is the street view for this house. You can see it being newly constructed in what was probably 3 townhomes. Real Glamor.

It legally only needs to last 7. It's like a running joke on every jobsite

Fuck that's beautiful

Hahahahahaha what the fuck

Is this a "McMansion"? This is my ideal home, albeit away from other houses but still near a town or city

Fuck the big developers are scum.

I hope our housing market shits itself like the yanks did.

lol no. where is that, kentucky?

>be American
>get foreclosed.

i hope so too
would be a good investment opportunity for us

A craftsman? No. They're pretty common in some parts of the US (I just got back from a trip to Tacoma-Seattle, where this is the norm).

McMansion is literally a planned neighborhood development, meaning 1 company was hired to build like 20 *new homes in a small radius, circa 1998-Present. They're almost always Massive compared to your house pictured. Enough Lawn to make dear old Dad think he needs a riding mower when he doesn't.

Portland. One of those single city homes. Here is Philly we have the greatest percentage of row-houses than any other US city, so I really like the idea of a compact, single home.

>Is this a "McMansion"?
more like Craftsman bungalow

It's obvious you have never been here but don't let that stop you from enjoying your memes

Looks just like the houses that line the Malibu coast.

tbqh, I like how the houses look at Venice Beach, which has a similar look. Can't find any good pics, but it always looks so clean and modern. That and the whole beach front thing.

Those look awful. Like commie blocs with certain rooms just ripped out

Almost all houses built in the last 100 years only use bricks for facades. It's not just McMansions.

Is dis good?

Thanks for telling me the style. Been wondering for awhile, and craftsman is exactly what I was hunting for

My dream house

I'd probably get nervous at night with so much transparency into the dark woods.

McMansions come in a wide range of quality--I have seen some that are built quite poorly and/or with cheap materials and I have also seen ones built very well and with a lot of custom, high end work and fine finishes. Around here (east of Seattle) all of the new developments are 3,000-4,000 sq ft homes on 6-10,000 sq ft lots so they're perfectly livable. Pic related, typical ground level floor plan for one of these houses.

I think McMansions are looked down on because they're not considered "true" mansions, which are more secluded, on a lot measured in acres, not fractions of, and tend to be custom designed and built with high end materials. Or are just old (80+ years), which gives them a certain status (think of Great Gatsby). Whereas McMansions are usually on very small lots relative to their size, are poorly landscaped, tend to be in large tract developments and are sort of seen as being nouveau/ghetto rich.

You cunts were ahead of the trend there with paper houses weren't you?

Are these houses actually made out of wood? Why build a elaborate house if it's going to be weak?

Would it cost a lot to build? Forget the land cost

Hey now, nordic houses built from wood are sturdy af.

Because it costs a lot of money to make it out of other materials?

Why do you even fret about that? Aside from flooding in certain areas you have 0 dangerous weather phenomena to worry about

You forget that Americans are incompetent

I have literally zero knowledge on construction costs, but I would guess at least $300K, heavily dependent on the state.

>master next to the family room
woof, but better than it being next to the kitchen (kill me).

This is kind of loaded, but I was thinking of buying in the Tacoma-downtown area. Is there a better area I can purchase? I was East of Seattle, and liked it enough. I don't need completely reno'd but I don't want a fixer-upper in a dump neighborhood.

I love craftsman, but I like location a lot more.

But ur mum is if u knew wad i mean

Wood frame houses requires a relatively simple foundation and support system. Solid brick homes, by contrast, are very heavy, and require substantial footing, load bearing and foundation systems. In U.S. real estate living space is given very heavy emphasis and is usually the main selling point, and constructing with wood guarantees you'll have plenty of it in a housing development.

get fucked lobster

Man I would love to get a little bit of land and get a custom built house made out of brick

That's very expensive.

This is me

I would rather own a nice historic stone house somewhere in Boston, Philly, NYC, or D.C..