Hey guys, what do you all think about chromebooks? i just got one and i pretty much love it...

hey guys, what do you all think about chromebooks? i just got one and i pretty much love it, obsessed with how good it looks and how fast/cool it is, totally looking forward seeing android integration into chromeos

Other urls found in this thread:

lwn.net/Articles/738225/
youtube.com/watch?v=106OqA6hYRg
youtube.com/watch?v=SyrNH_qcvJg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

They're a good choice if you're looking for something inexpensive with long battery life. Only downside is the lack of storage and the chicklet keys. I have an Acer R11 that gets around 10 hours battery life running Fedora with XFCE. Not a terrible little machine for $200 and the keyboard isn't really worst I've used but definitely not great. I also reinstalled Coreboot from the source and added in the SeaBIOS payload and I stripped out all of the dangerous Intel ME firmware modules using ME Cleaner. I'm basically left with a small and light botnet free laptop.

can you do multitasking ?
they look cool but i'm afraid productivitywise

I've owned a Chromebook. It's tossed away in the attic because it's just a Facebook machine with an ARM processor. Useless.

multitasking? what do you mean by that? sure i am streaming a movie on torrent rn and checking this thread on it. i ordered a usb flash 3.0 drive 64gb for less than 30$ so i am okay with it. havent tried installing another linux distro since i am really enjoying chromeos :) android apps make it rly productive.

It's a cost-efficient version of a macbook

I don't really like that most rely on the cloud, but once android apps are fully compatible i will probably get one.

thats if you can get one that looks like a macbook air, has 128gb SSD, runs all android apps and costs less than $400

yeah that's what i meant. that's great man. I'm considering buying one but storage can be a deal breaker for me as i have to save lots of HD Pictures

huh idk how old your chromebook is but these days you can use them for almost anything.
well like i said, you can buy that rly small flash and you don't have to worry plus most of them have micro sd ports.

Been thinking of moving to a chromebook for my next laptop after my 14" T60 stops working. It's taking a while...

Redpill me on Chromebooks. Could I install Ubuntu on one easily?

You can buy laptops from most manufacturers with ubuntu pre installed and its cheaper than ones with windows, plus you have more choices than the shitty chromebook only ones.

it takes 10 seconds to unlock boot loader on a chromebook, you'd just have to pick up a compatible hardware to install ubuntu. My chromebook would run ubuntu just fine but i'm not switching to it.

Just waiting for Mali to be opensourced, then I'll pick one up.

It's pretty comfy as long as you don't get the ARM versions.

>chromebooks
>fast

pick one

This. It's coming soon!
lwn.net/Articles/738225/
PRAISE LINUS TORVALDS TECH TIPS

The ARM versions are gonna get comfy as fuck!
See

This is the 14" aluminum one?

A Chromebook is a terrible choice for anyone on Sup Forums, but for 90% of normies it's perfect.

Are you referring to the older Acer R11 or the two-in-one touch screen R11?

I just ordered the two-in-one R11 for $180 and I also picked up a 128 Micro SD card for my pics and music. I'm gonna throw Ubuntu or GalliumOS on it and comfypost on 4chin. I think I did good.

yep it is
lol :)

I recommended this to a older person recently, although I've never laid hands on it myself. Reviews looked really good, as did the design/materials.

How would you rate it?

Laptops are terrible for hardcore tasks anyway, but for a shitposting/internet/video/music/whatever machine they're fine.

depends of what you use your laptop for, i mainly use it for media and internet. i don't need any big programs for college since all i do is translate stuff and write essays. I am so happy with it cus if i decided to go with a macbook i'd spend 600 more dollars on it and still use it the same way as i use a chromebook now. plus i am a fan of android so i wouldn't use a macos at all.

...actually, I'm mistaken, it was the brand-new 15" one I recommended. It looks absolutely unreal nice for the price (for the king of person who leaves their laptop in one place 95% of the time): youtube.com/watch?v=106OqA6hYRg

ye mine is acer cb 14 gold edition, made entirely of aluminium too. also the touchpad and speakers on this are amazing.

i dont see how its better than a regular phone. my redmi note 4 has a better processor, more RAM, more storage, and a higher resolution screen than my c720 chromebook

Does it have the backlit keyboard too?

>totally looking forward seeing android integration into chromeos
>Google's own os is worse at interfacing with Android than KDE
lol

I kind of want to buy a really little one, and just go full Stallman mode on it. His little laptops always look really comfy.

Why'd you talk about your phone if we're talking ab laptop computers here?
nah, sadly but i think this 15" one does have it

Android integration is ok to be honest
One of my only problems is you have to go into dev mode to install apks
I use a Hisense Chromebook c11

Is there a point of Android-apps-on-ChromeOS besides games?

posting from this little bitch, i really like it. its just small enough to be really portable and works reasonably well for what it cost.

tfw you will never enjoy running linux or bsd because you don't know c nor do you know how to write firmware/ drivers for your hardware and min and max the performance and write software that you personally need

I AM THE PRODUCT

Just buy a cheap laptop and install Debian with Openbox and Tint2 and use it normally. You don't need to know how to program to be comfy. You just have to not be retarded.

but I think it would be comfy to know c

I run linux on multiple machines but I usually fall victim to having for someone to make x software for me

wtf lol there is a program you can run linux or windows on a chromebook it's like a virtual machine just goes through terminal lmao and it just switches to linux. fyi

Noone can install windows on them, there's chrubuntu tho.

good enough for shitposting, my dude.
t. shitposting on orange pi zero rn

youtube.com/watch?v=SyrNH_qcvJg

it can be done, but it must have hardware that's supported w drivers or whatever ;)

There's just other cheap laptops or 2in1s tho, kind of junk but as good as chromebook