The Sup Forumsternet project

### Sup Forumsternet - Let's get building edition ###

Mark yourself on the map with your contact info (can be a cock.li throwaway if you don't want to dox yourself)
zeemaps.com/map?group=2787145

IRC (SSL): irc.jollo.org:9999 #gternet
Wiki: mesh.gentoo.today
Last thread: What is Sup Forumsternet?
Sup Forumsternet would be our own decentralized p2p network running on our own infrastructure, totally disconnected from the clearnet.
It will be a combination of DIY meshnets on a city wide basis, and a platform for interconnecting these city wide meshnets over p2p openvpn bridges and high powered wireless dishes for City to City relays.
The Inter-Meshnet part of the project will allow any existing DIY meshnets to join our network by adding a bridge node or a city to city relay.
The short term goal is to have a few anons set up their own local meshnet and link them together using the bridges as a proof of concept.
A long term goal is gain a large enough user density that we can disable the brige nodes and have our own decentralized network idependent of the internet.
Currently, we're going to use batman-adv.

This project is a week old, so we need all the expertise and help we can get.
Every contribution is valuable!
Gather a group of friends and join the IRC and wiki.

To Do:
- decide on hardware standards for City to City relays
- create resources for newbies on the wiki
- gather more people
- start building internet bridges for the intermesh connections (Linux Sysadmin tier)
- start designing diy kits for meshnet end users (Should be newbie-midlevel friendly tier)
- look into croundfunding options for purchasing city to city relay backbone equipment (Richfag tier)

Things NOT To Do:
- Talk about logos
- Talk about names

Other urls found in this thread:

wom.community/
mesh.gentoo.today/wiki/Purpose
git.jollo.org/gternet/software/UserInterfaceModule
mesh.gentoo.today/wiki/Peer-2-Peer_Services
gotenna.com/
motherboard.vice.com/amp/en_us/article/kz3xyz/detroit-mesh-network
motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/kz3xyz/detroit-mesh-network
cryptocoincharts.info/coins/info
git.jollo.org/gternet/gternet/issues/6
amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0039ORBLK/
mesh.gentoo.today/wiki/Hardware
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berkeley_Open_Infrastructure_for_Network_Computing
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

we have these diagrams showing some designs, and a working one.

My Pis will be here tomorrow. I can get working on the batman meshnet guide as soon as i have them

roteto best mascot

There's a guy like 7 miles away from me in wales so that's a pretty feasible distance to connect over.

Keep politics out of this please. Tech only. We need everyone we can get for this to work

Any Canadians involved?

Check the map

bongnet reporting in!

Bump

and roteta

Look at those digits.
All power to the trigod

What about people living in small villages?

Use a p2p bridge node. To link remote meshes to the network over layer 2 internet bridges

And Kali!

Okay i agree with the no logo talk stuff but thats pretty good.

>tfw only person in my country on map

has anyone considered joining the sopranica/WOM project? they intend to make a mesh cell phone network and have been working on that since 2009 I think
wom.community/

I'm pretty sure cock li was busted and has been a honeypot for quite some time now

so start building your own mesh and getting more people involved on your side locally. We cant just go building this shit as single people.

lol

Kali is cute, need her antenna hat tho.

I know. I just find it amusing because my country prides itself on technology. I will post on local boards to try to garner interest

No idea how I'd help, but this project seems cool. Don't let me down Sup Forums.

add your contact info on the map if you're interested

mesh.gentoo.today/wiki/Purpose

We have git up and some members on the deveopment team have begun commiting to the project.

git dot jollo dot org/gternet/gternet

This is moving fast.

>diy meshnet kits
What is /diy/ take on this?

>have to sign up to view the code
really?

Can't make internet with shipping containers

You only need an account to commit/merge
Anything that you cant see means there are no projects, its just an empty sub division (like a folder)

You should be able to see this for an example:
git.jollo.org/gternet/software/UserInterfaceModule

presumably there will be a way to sell donuts though

bump

>tfw someone on the map
>he's in my fucking city
Бългapи имa ли yeee

byampu

Also, what hardware do you guys suggest for a dedicated server? Would an rpi 3 hooked up to an antenna be enough?

Something like a raspi works for all cases, the actual antenna is the issue. I am still waiting to know what's the final decision from the hardware wizards on what to use.

I personally think the new Ubiquiti LiteBeam is a great antenna for it. It’s pretty powerful, rather cheap ($57), and perfect for our needs. But let’s see what Sup Forums decides.

Isn't there a wiki page to add the recommended hardware?

Added a page on Peer-2-Peer services mesh.gentoo.today/wiki/Peer-2-Peer_Services
Is crucial to have some services to keep people happy in this new network.

Bump

byampu

So hypothetically I could use the guide knots was working on paired with two of these to connect with say my brother's house like less than five miles away?

How usable is GNUnet from command line?

>To Do:
>- decide on hardware standards for City to City relays
How about this?
gotenna.com/

Are you a wizard?

oh.

yes. however we have not started working on the wireless intermesh part. right now all the local meshnets have to be linked with an internet bridge. But that is a good setup for you to start trying to figure out what we have to do for long distance wireless connections.

We have this conversation. GNUnet on CLI is better than their GUI, you can actually make it work.

Knots here. Pis got delivered today after all. Its getting real Sup Forums

just read it from IRC, may the testing begin!

Are those nachos? Also good to hear from you again.

If you can grab a clear line of sight looks like some of the customers were saying they could get a mile pretty easily and around 3 miles with enough precision. (Model LBE-5AC-23-US)

Ignored By Big Telecom, Detroit's Marginalized Communities Are Building Their Own Interne

motherboard.vice.com/amp/en_us/article/kz3xyz/detroit-mesh-network

>google amp
better link motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/kz3xyz/detroit-mesh-network

>Detroit
Only Robocop can help that place.

looks cute, but it's kinda expensive and the shipping is limited, but I thinks it's good suggestion

>closest person is like 300km away

build a local meshnet and a p2p intermesh node faggot

bongnet when?

Can we have Kali as official mascot too?

as soon as you brits stop sipping tea and start building

thoughts on creating a crypto token and ICO to fund development?

The hook for the ICO will be that you can use the tokens as the future Sup Forumsternet currency e.g. for bandwidth / storage / domain registration / ad space etc.

I can code the smart contract for the currency quite easily

>fund development
Before making yet another cryptocurrency you should have done crowdfunding and accept donations to make antennas and buy equipment for long range transmission.

Even then the idea is terrible if you think how bad it can go.

What is happening with the wiki?

its constantly going down if that answers your question, and slow when its up

the crypto is the crowdfunding...

>he wants more
cryptocoincharts.info/coins/info

git.jollo.org/gternet/gternet/issues/6

in irc we came up with the possible idea of selling premade wireless routers using something like rpi and a decent antenna. that would be more than suitable to crowdfund

>selling premade wireless routers using something like rpi and a decent antenna
This is one is a good idea. This way normies can join too, by buying premade stuff.

Then, we can start building long range stuff.

Knots here. I like this idea.

I just grabbed usb cables. Micro sd carslds, and solar panels for my PIs.

Im just waiting on my weed guy then im heading home to work on the meshnet stuff.

how long range can we make a single RPI (or other node in a box solution)?

Suppose we are lucky and the FCC doesn't repeal Net Neutrality. Will people still be interested in this project?

Ill let you know once i test with mine. Im thinking probably less than 100 feet between rips with their stock antenna

here we go boys, im ready to pull the trigger

Yes.

yes because our network will basically be free

>single RPI
Again, the raspi is the computer running the server, not the antenna making the transmission. Completely different things.

YES.

kek

we are live, let the crowdfunding commence

don't be so pedantic, you know what i meant. We provide a box (rpi / whatever + antenna + power supply), user plugs it in to power socket, it boots and starts broadcasting. How close does it need to be to another node to join the network?

well if you used something like amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0039ORBLK/ with a powerful usb wifi adapter, i would guess 1km?. because these are omni directional, its just a guess ,9dbi seems powerful

I don't know which antenna you are using and we haven't decided on one, that's the problem.

Maybe after we see which thing to buy like

Please add all your suggestions to mesh.gentoo.today/wiki/Hardware

I want to know what antenna to buy.

we should test the antennas before we add them to the recommendations list.

so, let's assume max 500 meters (1600 feet to amerifags) in an urban environment. One of these would cost about 50 USD to put together (ie. rasp PI + battery pack / power supply + antenna).

So let's blanket an entire region by placing them at strategic locations in a densely populated area, approx 500 meters apart. If we raise say 500k, we can put down 10,000 of these bad boys and our network is up and running with the normies across an entire country.

Maybe is better to add them to the list and put a note about if its confirmed to work well and its range.

i have 10,000 GINTs who wants one?

Sounds like a plan. Make sure to include solar panels if the whole thing doesn't consume much power and the weather is good.

I'd also like to know what solar panel you used for the pi.

How do I contribute to this? I'm quite interested in the idea..

The Litebeam ac looks like the best range if true. Let me know if any of you use it.

Remember about BOINC if you guys need computer power for something en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berkeley_Open_Infrastructure_for_Network_Computing

Maybe even mining cryptocurrencies for this project?

I work at my university's HPC lab, let me know if you guys need any big jobs done and I'll throw them on one of our clusters

Thanks.

Get in the IRC and check the wiki.

just some cheapo non brand name shit i got from bestbuy for like 30 bucks. I havent gotten to that point of testing but ill keep all of you posted.

why "Jollo"?
what's the meaning of this?

Yolo