How many hours a week do you work?

What do you do at work?

Yearly salary?

10:00-4:30 including breakfast and lunch, 5 days a week
Java/Javascript
125k salary, 30k bonus, 80k stock, 15k oncall payment, 10k 401k/HSA match

I'm sorry, I should of specified

What kinds of tasks do you do?

9-10am to 7pm-11pm depending on what I want to get done for the day. Sometimes I work weekends, my boss is trying to get me to stop.
$130k a year plus lots and lots of RSUs, over $150k vested so far after taxes, will be about $250-300k eventually assuming the market is still ok.
Also there's a 2% 401k match, and was able to pay off student loans and then some with direct cash signing bonuses, relocation, good health/vision/dental insurance, etc.
Oncall for a week for once every few weeks.

But, I'm really shy and don't have friends / don't know anyone in this city. Lost most motivation for video games and such. So I basically just sit around in my apartment and wait for work.

I do basic web codemonkey stuff. React.

Please also list your experience in years and location!

Can you go further into detail

>How many hours a week do you work?
36 hours a week on average. Otherwise overtime or get time off.

What do you do at work?
Make web apps mostly and maintain clients existing ones.

Yearly salary?
55k per year. I'm only junior level with no degree though.

On a slow week, I may work 35 hours or less. On a busy week (leading up to launch, for instance) it might be 50. It averages out.

I mostly help maintain our huge janky C++ codebase, with occasional forays into our huge janky Ruby on Rails codebase. Lots of this code is pretty bad, and some people would get frustrated. I get frustrated at times, but I can take pleasure in it as well. Untangling bad code can be like solving a puzzle, and it can be satisfying in its own way. I also take pleasure in leaving it better than I found it. If you can get yourself into this mindset, prepare to rake it in. I work with a small team and I feel like I have real creative freedom-- my suggestions for how to improve the product are taken seriously, and I've already made major changes to its architecture.

Right now word has come from on high that we need more automated tests, so for the last few weeks we've all been writing those. These are mostly written in Python and Ruby. Not the most exciting thing in the world, but we really do need those tests, and I can sometimes still make it interesting for myself.

(Continues...)

(Continued)

Once, in the weeks leading up to the launch of a new version, everyone including me had to do weeks of manual regression testing on the product. This was probably the most miserable period during my time at this employer. The new automated tests can't come soon enough.

I'm a year in and I just got promoted, bringing my base pay up into the $130K US range. Over the course of 2018, I will also have RSUs vesting worth around $25-30K. This includes RSUs from my signing grant, plus some more from my promotion. Finally, I get around a $20K cash bonus for my second year as specified in my contract. However, my employer is headquartered in an expensive city, so pay scales are probably higher than average for the industry.

For context, this is my first job out of college (Bachelors' in CS,) but I already had 2 years worth of internships and some additional open source experience under my belt, so my pay reflects that I have both a degree *and* work experience.

DESU I am extremely lucky, there's no guarantee you'll get an offer as good as the one I got.

45 to 50 hours because I screw around and then stay late to get stuff down.

I write networking code in C. It's pretty fun.

$95k with two years' experience but I'm not in silicon valley.

Around 36, + 4 hours for flights to and from client.

I help develop a fortune 500 company's webpage. Daily tasks include settling on architecture, aligning team strategies, and sitting down and writing ES6 and CSS.

As well as help mantain the backend systems for everything user account related. Mainly java. Usually these are very simple CRUD apps so coding isn't the challenge, it's making sure that your shit won't blow up if a database blows up. It's more making sure that everything is stable before it hits prod and then monitoring it.

109k in NYC

As well as having hotel + flight + meals completely COMPED

38-40 hours
Service development for AWS
$175k

Certs? College education?
What are your qualifications?

First poster. 4.0 GPA, EECS at MIT.

bulju

Generally 40 hours a week

I fix bugs and work on new features for our network security product. A lot of Java and JavaScript.

$72k, about 1.5 years into the job so far.

With a degree you'd be making more easily. You will most likely always be making less for the same amount as your brethren who are sitting on some degree.

And how much higher are your pay potentials looking? Most major tech companies put an undisclosed cap on pay for all software devs. This has been an on-going class action lawsuit.

Every one of these threads

>32 hrs a week
>$300K + RSUs
>Sr Dev at Google
>Data Scientist

Salary threads are always trolls with inflated salary claims. They are never realistic. Why even start another one?

Oh. Right. OP is troll.

I'm getting my AWS Solutions Architect certification in a month. I'm ready and will easily pass.

That being said, where you do you think I would sit Salary wise? I'm going to ask for a raise.

I worked between 35ish (easy job) to probably 70+ hours per week, depending on the year.

I bailed in 2009. I got laid off and my neck was absolutely fucked from decades of shitty posture. The job market was absurd, and tech interviewing had gone full retard.

I regularly debate whether to get back into it or to just "retire" into welding or something else I enjoy.

I made about $115k per year, plus 401k match, three weeks vacation per year, and health/dental/vision benefits. When I graduated in 1998, I made $48k per year in a low cost of living area (Phoenix, AZ). Just a few years ago, I'd read on here about new grads making like $50k and wondered WTF was wrong with the world. Hopefully things have improved with the economy...

I work for a telecommunications company as Developer III, and make $102,000 literally doing fuck all for 30 hours and working only 10 actual hours. 401k, HSA, Dental, Vision, Life, Health, and up to 10% of my yearly salary as bonuses.

I think the people who reply to these threads are just more vocal about it when they've got about 6 figures to share. People under 6 figures seem to not care to post as much.

this, if the thread is to continue you should post your housing situation. It's nice to make all that money but I'd kill myself when you consider that one house in a big city, you can basically sell it, move to the midwest, and buy a neighborhood and start a property company

I honestly don't know. I guess I'm not savvy enough to get a feel for that. I took a glance at Glassdoor and it looks like I'm already making the high end of the pay scale for my employer, at least what they'd offer a new hire. Although the "senior" positions have ranges up to $190k, I don't think I can get that title for another 3-4 years, and that's if I'm really good. Although I got promoted, I also haven't been around long enough to get a non-promotion raise yet (typically performance reviews happen annually starting your second year,) so I don't know what kind of velocity to expect.

here - I have an MS in computer science and was hired out of college

I'm in a $2500/mo 1-bedroom apartment in the city, near a lake and in walking distance to the company campus and downtown. Thanks to the tech boom houses cost way too much here. No one's really happy about it.

The major downside for me to this career is the social problems / loneliness. I don't know which is the cause and which is the effect, but when other kids were outside playing with friends I was in my room tinkering on a 286 with GW-BASIC, or playing with one of those diodes-and-resistors Radio Shack electronics kits, or reading out of a kids' encyclopedia on math and science. Never really learned how to do much outside of school/work - make friends, go on dates, etc. - and with lots of work to be done, lots of services to maintain, doesn't look likely that anything will change.

Do you work on services like S3/DynamoDB/SQS within the AWS org, or are you working for outside companies using AWS to build stuff? If so are you SDE3?

>4.0 MS at MIT
>200 gorillion dollars straight out of school
>Writing shitty frontends in react and node
>11/10 manager gives me a hand job twice a day
>6 months vacation every year
Larpers I swear.