Two computers, same room, same network, speed-tests taken back to back. What the hell is this

Two computers, same room, same network, speed-tests taken back to back. What the hell is this.

Other urls found in this thread:

us.battle.net/forums/en/heroes/topic/20419431803
smile.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Wi-Fi-Nano-Adapter-Black/dp/B06XSFPDFX/ref=sr_1_7?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1512283968&sr=1-7&keywords=usb wifi
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

wifi nigger?

look into this, works for me:

us.battle.net/forums/en/heroes/topic/20419431803

Also, massive png spikes up to 2k, as well as a higher "good" png by about 10ms. Zero warning before network misbehavior.

wired or wireless?

Wireless. We have housemates and both rigs are in a private room. Currently looking into 5846's solution.

bump

Alright so the user for that rig is going to try to run a match for like 3 mins to see if there's improvement. Also, just to say, it's nice to see shit gets done here unlike /b.

No dice. Still shoddy connection.

Gentoo doesn't have this issue.

you right

My laptop used to get slow speeds because of windows power saving settings wasn't giving the wireless card enough power. It could be anything.

More info - Already disabled power saver both in general and in device manager for device. Wifi card is a integrated device (broadcom) into an old P8 series ASUS extended ATX board (dual antennae).

This bitch right here.

Bump

Probably something wrong with it, get a new wireless card, USB one for maximum ease

If I have to go for a whole new card, I'm definitely going PCI. I just finished rebuilding that rig and constructing the second one like 2 days ago, and I plan to keep em top-of-the-line if I can help it.

>Supports single band frequency 2.4GHz

Found your problem. 5ghz or gtfo.

You may have actually found the fucking problem. It's connected to a 5ghz network right now.

try changing channels, had the same problem

Zero fucking clue how to do that. Might have to break out to google.

Trying to connect to the 2.4ghz network and it won't even let me. Forgot the network and rediscovered, still nothing.

Wifi spectrum scan

See what channels aren't being used, or have minimal noise. Use those channels specifically.

got as far in the command prompt as netsh wlan show networks bssid and have no idea how to interpret that info. Going deeper into the google hole.

>Wireless.

that's the problem

I agree, but until we're in our own house where we can set up the internet in whatever room we choose, we're making do.

Maybe one is 802.11AC 5GHz while the other is 802.11N 2.4GHz

trouble is we have separate signals from the router for either, and neither works well with the one pc.

your onboard wireless chip is probably shit.

i have always had problem with wireless when i buy cheap stuff, doesn't matter if its onboard, usb or pci. they will just fail randomly all the time.

the problem went away when i bought a mikrotik wireless accespoint device, bridged the wireless to LAN and then connect the device to my PC with a lan cable.

so if you have $40 to spare i would just order a mikrotik hAP device, read a few articles on how to make it work.

OK the bad one is the Asus Deluxe stock one right? How about the on working fine? WHat card is it using?

That's a TP-Link. a $30-$40 pci card I bought with the new build.

The thing that's really confusing me is that the Asus onboard one has worked fine for the past several years, only to recently fuck up. Coincides with XFinity having to rerun lines due to some tard chopping ours with a shovel, as well as the rebuild and full windows reinstall.

I have had wireless cards or wireless usb device work perfectly for X amount of time then failing randomly.

it's just not worth your time to play with the lemon market that is low-end consumer wireless.

well shit, guess I'm buying a new wireless card. Already shopping for RAM because I'm an absolute fuckwit.

It might be a impending mobo failure.
I had a MSI Mpower Z77, a few months before warranty ended, the LAN died. A few weeks before warranty ended, the USB3(non chipset) also died. Finally when the warranty ended the VRM failed and killed the i7 in it(never OC'd). I ignored the previous 2 warnings and that happened.

Jesus Christ I hope that's not the case.

Just get a mini-pcie to standard PCIe adapter that has antennas on it, and just get an Intel 7260AC. They're cheap and are reliable as fuck, and also has integrated bluetooth. I easily reach a stable 350mbps when copying over SMB on all 3 of my devices that have one in it, and ping jitter is minimal.

How about you. You think the chances are high that the whole Mobo is about to just implode? I just spent like $1100 turning one gaming rig into two up-to-date rigs, and I SUPER don't have the scratch for that.

I highly doubt it. It's not common. Your mobo's wireless chip is probably just shit.

Seeing as it was working before, what's your experience with just the wireless chip degrading/failing without other components. It was acting like shit from the start, but it sure as hell is now.

Have you moved your desktop from the spot it is in right now since you bought it? Have you moved homes? Have you purchased a new router? When was the 2nd PC introduced, has it been there in the same room as your computer since you installed it?

Also, small side-story you guys might get a kick out of. The rig with the newest parts has been my dream rig for the longest time. The plan was to go almost completely new on components, save for recycling half of the 32GB (4x8) of DDR3 3200 into it. Shit gets to the door, I'm psyched, I build the damn thing in record fuckin time, go to slot the ram, notice I hadn't read that it's a FUCKING DDR4 MOBO. So I head to a Fry's Electronics that's a 35min drive away with 20mins to closing. Thank fuck for fast cars. Now I'm running a system with a 4.2ghz hex core, a fucking 1080, and the shittiest 4gb single stick of 2133 DDR4 I could buy with what little was left over after rent and groceries. Fuck me.

The one acting up recently has always been in this room, and has been moved about 20in closer to the router than before. The second rig was immediately put in the same room, only to perform beautifully.

I also find it strange that the upload speed is fine and dandy, whereas it's just the download getting massacred.

I'd just suggest getting a new card or updating its drivers. You can also try plugging in your phone and using it as a tether device to your wireless network to see if anything changes.

I tried bridging across the good pc, but couldn't get a connection, and drivers are up to date. Might just have to get a new card.

Also for future reference, DSLReports is the best bandwidth testing site. I'm not saying that whatever google thing you're using is bad, but DSLReports is well-known and lightweight, and has more information than just "your internet is slow."

So you tried plugging in an ethernet cable between your PC's ethernet jack and the other's, then enabling Internet Connection Sharing on the wireless connection of the good PC to it's ethernet port? How did you not get a connection?

Thanks for the info on DSLReports.

Zero idea. Even created the whole dedicated bridging connection that shuts off the connection the the source pc. (I can build and overclock well, but I'm sure it's obvious from my terminology that I'm a complete noob with network stuff.)

>Even created the whole dedicated bridging connection that shuts off the connection the the source pc

no idea what you're talking about. You don't need to bridge anything. You just do this on the "good PC" and plug an ethernet cable across PCs. it's literally that easy.

dude i see you are using ASUS mobo, ive had the same problem and it was caused by a tool by asus named Turbo Lan. You have to uninstall that shit, cause simply turning it off wont work. But if you uninstall it you should get normal speeds and pings. It worked for me.

Does it maintain connection for both PCs? I used this function.

Yes that's the whole point of it, it just makes the PC with Sharing enabled into a network gateway. No idea what that is in your pic, so I don't recommend it.

Can't seem to find Turbo Lan, but it did force install some shit called WiFi Go. Gonna nuke it.

I agree, any ASUS shit you have installed needs to be uninstalled. The only thing that I would advise keeping is possibly AI Suite, as it controls fan speeds, unless you just want to manage it in the BIOS. I haven't had problems with that program. But anything else, don't even bother installing. It's all crapware snake oil.

To add, WiFi go is basically just a shitty DLNA server that also allows you to control the PC with your phone. It's just trash.

Gonna nuke the bloatware. Also, about to try the other bridging solution.

I used to do it back when Xbox 360's had that shitty $100 wifi addon since most people don't have ethernet ran in their walls. I just used my laptop's connection until I bought a wireless-G card for my desktop. Just recently at my old job I used it the other way around to share the connection from my ethernet to my wifi card so I could broadcast wireless out to my tablet when our terribly configured access points inevitably shat the bed every few hours.

Can't seem to get the other passthrough method to work either. Plugged in, settings applied, no signal.

Trouble is I don't have the Home Networking Connection drop down.

Just realized the network connection and internet speed is fine for a few moments on first connecting, then rapidly gets choked down. Does that count as a clue?

No signal to what? Can you share a screenshot showing you have no dropdown? You are doing this on the "good pc" right? Since that's the PC with the good connection to wifi.

And just to be sure, you are going to this menu on the WIFI connection of the good pc to find the Sharing menu, right? And its Ethernet connection is not disabled?

The other one isn't recognizing the attached ethernet cable as even having a connection to the internet. Screenshot attached.

Oh, I understand why you don't have the dropdown now, it's simply because you only have 2 connections, while I have the extra bluetooth and VMware cards listed. My mistake, that's not a problem.

Try going to properties on the ethernet connection of the good PC and going to Internet Protocal Version 4, and clicking Properties again. The IP should be set to 192.168.137.1 and a subnet of 255.255.255.0.

If that's correct then go to your bad PC and check what IP it's getting by running ipconfig in command prompt. Can you tell me what it's getting?

If it gets something akin to 169.254.X.X, then try setting the Ethernet IP on the bad PC to:

IP: 192.168.137.2
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.137.1

DNS Servers:

Also, can you delete the network bridge? It could be causing issues still.

Sounds like you’re using an ancient wireless card.

Network bridge was deleted, that last bit of advice with the forced IPs allowed it to join the network. Now it's receiving signal through the first machine (7.4 down, 1.73 up). This is slow comparitively, but now it's at least in proportion concerning down/up speeds. Any chance that's a clue as to what the problem is?

I'm guessing in internet terms, 5 years is prehistoric.

that's still pretty bad if the good PC was getting 42mbps down. No idea user. Have you tried tethering your phone to your PC and connecting your phone to wifi and testing speed that way?

Phone's speed hovers around where the good pc does. Tethered connection to bad pc yields similar results.

So tethering to the PC gives you the same speeds as the good PC? If so, I'm really not sure what to tell you besides buying some cheapass sub-$10 usb wifi adapter off amazon to test with before dropping $40 on a new PCIe card.

like this one for example. it's 150mbps which is shit but it should at least get you more than 7mbps.

smile.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Wi-Fi-Nano-Adapter-Black/dp/B06XSFPDFX/ref=sr_1_7?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1512283968&sr=1-7&keywords=usb wifi

I think you're right. I'll grab a cheap adapter and test. Thanks everyone for the help.