/spg/ - Smartphone General

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>Reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones
pastebin.com/eMtwGjJX

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES unless you live in America you shits

previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/BleachBraveSouls/comments/5s2el0/difference_in_frame_rates_iphone_vs_samsung/
forum.dungeonboss.com/discussion/55096/android-frame-rate-issue-galaxy-s8
ebay.com/itm/LG-V20-64GB-H910A-Unlocked-GSM-LTE-QuadCore-Phone-w-Dual-Rear-Camera-16MP-8MP/222646002341?&clk_rvr_id=1380607192146&afsrc=1&rmvSB=true
support.aspyr.com/hc/en-us/articles/203672394-KNIGHTS-OF-THE-OLD-REPUBLIC-ANDROID-Why-s-my-device-not-listed-
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

reminder that the razer phone is the best phone for gaming

all other phones throttle like crazy so you get frame drops no matter how light the game is and if you hack around it with cpu governor settings you still get thermal throttling

5 to 5.5 inches
Big battery
Cheapest possible
Essentially music and Sup Forums on the go
Europe

What are my options?

I ordered a Pixel XL 2 yesterday. The lack of a headphone jack seems iffy, but a fair trade for stereo speakers, if I can live without the jack. Never used an OLED display before, so not too worried about blue shifting or dull colors. Here's hoping everything works out okay.

Redmi Note 4

Just got the iPhone 7 Plus.
Coming from Nexus 5X, best money spent this year.

Is the Xperia XZ premium worthwhile? I can get one for about $515

Doesn't happen with my note8

I regularly play KOTOR on my phone for hours at a time without throttling issues.

you probably won't notice frame drops in a relatively slow paced game like that

for example if it runs at 60 fps for 10 seconds but then drops a single frame it's not that bad except if it's a fast paced game

Fuck i dropped my galaxy s7 edge and it has a minor crack. Appearantly half the phone needs to be replaced

Bullshit, I've got a high level sith character with tons of AoE force abilities (both CC and DPS) And even when fighting larger mobs and chaining my AoEs there isn't any slow downs.

If you honestly believe two phones with identical chipsets will preform drastically differently in games you're just deluded.

The Razer phone is impressive for sure. But it's still an SD835. It's not going to be massively better than another phone with SD835. Even if it's cooling is improved you're still looking at minimal if any performance gains, especially once you factor in the 90 or 120 Hz display. Good luck not dropping frames with that.

do you know what a skipped frame is, it's like a stutter, but the game itself doesn't have to move slower "slow downs"

reddit.com/r/BleachBraveSouls/comments/5s2el0/difference_in_frame_rates_iphone_vs_samsung/

forum.dungeonboss.com/discussion/55096/android-frame-rate-issue-galaxy-s8

it's capped at 30 fps LMFAO

ebay.com/itm/LG-V20-64GB-H910A-Unlocked-GSM-LTE-QuadCore-Phone-w-Dual-Rear-Camera-16MP-8MP/222646002341?&clk_rvr_id=1380607192146&afsrc=1&rmvSB=true

So, the V20 is currently £200. I've had the mi4 for like 2 years now, should I switch to the V20 considering:
>installed latest lineage on mi4
>reboots for no apparent reason a lot of times
>battery dies fast

BUT
>I don't play games so it's fast nuff
>don't take many pics so don't care
>just use it to browse the net and chat mostly

what does /spg/ thonk?

support.aspyr.com/hc/en-us/articles/203672394-KNIGHTS-OF-THE-OLD-REPUBLIC-ANDROID-Why-s-my-device-not-listed-

>The Galaxy Note Edge and S6 and S6 Edge are unsupported due to graphic and performance issues.
LOL

I want to buy a phone with a decent, 50mm equivalent secondary camera. I know of the iPhone 7, 8 and X and the Note 8 but are there any more?

I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on Oneplus 5T
S8 on German Amazon would cost me the same as the 8GB of RAM version, and that's without the student discount Oneplus offers

Just got a Moto G5 Plus for basically nothing (30$ plus a cheap ass plan), did I do good, or did I fell for the meme when Moto G's were cost efficient?

Same here famalam.
Get hype.

This barely makes sense because the original htc one is listed as supported and that's just a SD600. Probably exynos bugs

Smartphones are fucking Cancer....

Moto E4 Plus

answer me

Help me out /spg/:
I'm looking for something to replace my Nexus 5X. Top priorities are fast updates (ideally Treble support) and good camera.

>Nokia 8
>Cheapest flagship (£380)
>Will get close to stock Oreo (no treble?)
>Fast updates
>Average camera, no IP67/68
>Has headphone jack

>HTC U11
>£480
>Close to stock
>No treble or headphone jack, but does come with good IEMs
>Good camera

>S8
>~£500
>Best screen
>Touchwiz is still shit and bloated
>Good camera
>Has headphone jack

>Pixel 2
>£579
>Average screen
>Best camera
>Fastest updates
>No headphone jack

it does seem like overkill for what you need it for
But £200 is good, and there's th efutureproof argument
Go for it
But where are you finding it for £200?
Tbh I wouldn't buy any phone off ebya or any dodgy site
Too much risk
Only direct, or Amazon or another such reputable retailer
For small shit ebay is fine, but nothing expensive

I'd go Pixel 2 just because to go from Nexus to Samsung (the only other acceptable option here) is just too painful.
Pixel 2 screen "issues" don't bother me much at all and I wouldn't be surprised if the price will drop if you can hold out for a month.

S9 is due out in Feb (?) I think as well so that means the S8 will drop. If you need it now then go with Pixel 2.

Pixel 2 if oyu can afford it. Will give you the most peace of mind for updates, patches. Can sit back and not even think abotu it again until the phone dies, hopefully many years down the line.

The 5X still works, but it's really dying, performance and battery life has gone to shit over the last few months. I can wait, but ideally I'd want to upgrade by Feb 2018.

I'm just really frustrated by the Pixel 2 pricing, I really want to buy it, but at over £500 it's out of my price range.

Whilst the screen issues should bring the price down, the last Pixel stayed at 599 for months and months. I waited for ages but ended up just pulling the trigger at 599. I feel like the Pixel 2 is a lot nicer than the first minus the headphone jack :(

Verizon has $300 off the Pixel 2 and XL through December, if you're in the US. Pretty bad to see them slashing the price of it so much already, guess it's not selling as well as Google would like

you should consider the U11+

Too expensive sadly. Good specs though.

Jailbreak it or stay at 10.3.x if you don’t want to ruin the experience

>in Europe
No, the European version has a Mediatek processor.

Pixel 2 screen is excellent if you look at it head on. The tint varies substantially between individual models so you best be prepared to return several before getting a good one. But once you get a good one it's amazing.

On the bright side google will cover return shipping and allows you to keep accessories.

>Buying a phone for gaymen

What's treble?

>HTC U11
I just bought this a few months ago and it appears to have died on me.

I mean it froze on me, while I was charging it, so I did a restart, and now its dead. unresponsive to charging (not even the LED turns on now), or any combination of button push and hold from what I can tell. Not sure if I just happen to have luck of the draw but this is pretty upsetting.

would not recommend.

project treble, supposed to make the process of making updates easier and faster
the thing is that the time of waiting for an update may not change at all, if the manufacturers decide to lay off the staff they don't need anymore to lower their costs

Using TWRP, I wiped everything except internal storage then flashed Oreo.

>Why do I still have 30gb of "other"?
Are there apps still installed in the background or something because when I booted Oreo it only came with Google botnet essentials and now have to manually download every app.
I checked my Titanium backup, my TWRP backup folders, nothing.

I don't know why I did it, but I tried an iPhone. I have the 6s+ and thoughts of suicide have gone up 10%. I want to come back home, I'm looking for just a decent phone that actually works. I don't mobile game, I'm not a professional photographer, I'm just looking for decent battery life, good processing speed, and is a functioning piece of technology. In the US and I gave AT&T, I would like to stay sub $700 but I'd be flexible for the right one.

Sorry not the +, just 6s. I'd like around the same screen size or a smidgen bigger, but not much.

Just backup your stuff and wipe internal storage, it's a mess since they introduced multiple accounts.

Essential already has Oreo, so do some Sony phones. And they support treble. OP3 already had Oreo, OP5 has a beta, no treble but custom ROMs for them are being developed fast anyway.

I'd buy a Sony if they enabled the full Camera2 API (RAW support) so I can use Google/Pixel camera for HDR+. Sony makes good camera sensors but the processing on their phones are total shit, which is surprising since they make good cameras.

Oneplus 5t

Simply adding a line to build prop usually works. Tested on OP devices, axon 7, and some others, even slow mo works.

There's even a module for that.

So if I backup all my personal shit then just go to twrp, Wipe > Internal, none of my current "Set up" on this rom will be removed?
I.e. apps?

Just bought Oneplus 5T

Requires root? Sony wipes DRM keys and permanently ruins the camera performance when rooted

Of course it does.
>Sony wipes DRM keys
Only affects preprocessing, which is garbage anyway.

Got the s8 plus the other week, it's a cracking bit of kit

ROM will stay but the apps won't.

I just upgraded 5X to Essential Phone, but camera was MUCH less of a priority for me.

Pixel 2 I'd say is your best bet of those options. Nokia 8 looks good too if headphone jack > the difference in camera quality. But if that is a feature you need, Pixel all the way.

Shit forgot to tag

>Google deciding on the Pixel 2 pricing

What's /spg/s consens on iphone se vs. xz1 compact?

Manlet pls.

Congrats I guess

SE is $129 in America, so

Damn I wish I did this before I downloaded 30+ apps and signed into all of them

Heh, I'm used to this shit from all the ROM hopping. You can backup and restore apps without Internet though.

Sad to hear that, currently looking to replace my old m8 and wouldn't have minded another HTC, but it seems their phones are not on the best spot at the moment.

They're trying to develop the image of a premium brand. Can't have poorfags ruining it.

Lmao, ironic since Indians love google shit

Indians buy samshit and xiaomeme

32gb version is 319 euros in germany

locked or unlocked?

Oh well

Locked for a month. After that you can pay it and a $20 fee to cancel the contract and get it unlocked

can't flash the img through sideload & no recovery to flash the zip with

On the fence about getting an iPhone X. Anyone want to tip me in either direction?

It’s your money. We couldn’t give less fucks

So I bought a Xiaomeme, applied for permissions and tried to unlock it. I get an error message thas says that I need to wait 72 hours. Do I really need to do that?

Currently using a LGG5, have alot of accessories for it with spare batteries. screen is cracked but still works (currently writing this post on).

Should i move to a oneplus 3t, redmi note4, lg g6, lg v20, or stick with another lg g5 despite the gps issues?

On xiaomi installing recovery is typically ass-backwards. You boot into recovery without installing it, by fastboot(something like fastboot boot recovery twrp.img), then flash that img from twrp.

Do it, I'm low on keks recently. Be sure to report your, uh, "experience" with it.

Oh my bad, I thought this was the smartphone general. Clearly I’m mistaken,

Nexus 5X finally decided to commit bootloop sudoku. need a replacement, America Verizon. Recommendations?

I'd prefer something closer to stock Android. Don't care about having the latest and greatest. Just want a basic device that'll last another 2-3 years.

I'm thinking KeyOne. Thoughts?

The same questions get asked every thread. If you can’t get your own judge based on things that get repeated everyday you have an issue.

What do you want us to say? The same question has been answered at least 20 times since the phone got out

>relying on user's advice for a $1000 tech toy purchase

Lenovo P2 should've been the only answer to this

Brainlet here. Should I root my note 4? I'm kind of scared of messing something up. I only want to remove the shitware pre-installed apps

>want to block ads
>dont want to root my phone
>don't want vpn symbol on my status bar all the time
Any solutions?

Can't decide if I should upgrade to Nougat on my Z5C or Lineage. Or stay on Marshmallow.

Which one is better on RAM considering it has only 2 GB

Yes

pixel 2

carry around a mini router with host blocklist

Stop being a pussy and root.

Hey guys, newcomer here.
Is there any advantage to a metal braided cable in terms of durability?

I can get a 3 pack for about $8

Use Brave or Lightning Browser+

Is there any smartphone under 10 USD?

Deliberately compromising your phone's security isn't a sign of masculinity, user.

You can set a password for root operation in your root Manager.

Trading actual features for security is a sign of a retard.

shitty bullshit phone from ebay w/ refund for false advertising

Hi guys

Is the Essential phone good now?

cute

Can I not edit the hosts file via adb with the phone in fastboot/DFU mode or whatever?