GNU ZILE

Check this shit out
gnu.org/software/zile/

>It comes with an example implementation of a lightweight Emacs clone, called Zemacs. Every Emacs user should feel at home with Zemacs. Zemacs is aimed at small footprint systems and quick editing sessions (it starts up and shuts down instantly).

>More editors implemented over the Zile frameworks are forthcoming as the data-structures and interfaces improve: Zz an emacs inspired editor using Lua as an extension language; Zee a minimalist non-modal editor; Zi a lightweight vi clone; and more...

Yet another piece of vaporwa--er, Emacsen? Call the press! This will totally be different!

Literally no one who's used Emacs for over a week wants anything that Zile or uMacs or any of these other shitty "lightweight" Emacsen offer. If you don't know what Emacs daemon is, and you close and open your Emacs session multiple times over a single sitting, you shouldn't be using Emacs--you should be using Vi or some facsimile (such as Zile, perhaps).

>look how many times we reimplemented the wheel

It's GNU, so it's probably shit.

GNU coreutils is breddy gud

meanie!

>GNU true
>sometimes doesn't return true
Yeah nah.

I'm kinda interested in that Zi one. They say "lightweight vi clone". vi is already very light. How fucking lightweight can they get this thing?

Anyone knows how to create extensions for this? I just want a couple features.

Very. Remember than by now even vim carries a lot of baggage and vi isn't maintained anymore.

until you try reading the source code
It's full of pointless speed hacks, obscure style and so many levels of nesting that you can't count the levels on one hand. The code length is ~100x more than alternatives. I'm not advocating the simplest implementations since they mostly perform badly, but common and intuitive things like simplest buffering really competes.

>Remember than by now even vim carries a lot of baggage and vi isn't maintained anymore.
interesting. I can totally see that. Zi might actually be really awesome as a re-implementation of the classic editior, as i'm not too sure on that whole neovim thing.

Also it's GPL-licensed, so that's a plus
inb4 bsdfags

Okay you convince me, how do I install Zi in particular?

>Also it's GPL-licensed, so that's a plus
100% agree. Only cucks will argue this.

how's neovim? i like gvim and last time i tried it didn't have a decent ui and there was no reason to change

>More editors implemented over the Zile frameworks are FORTHCOMING
>Forthcoming: adj. About to appear or take place; approaching: the forthcoming elections.
It's in the works

Nooooooooooooooo

Yeah I had that same reaction.

what do you think of busybox?

Too close to pure posix for my taste. Uses doc comments to generate manpages and help output, which is not standard for C, I have nothing against roff manpages. I have no idea how problematic it is to statically link it against musl and compile with clang. It also packs tons of other utils (shell, cron, ntpd, ...). Mixed feelings but I'm sure it's quality project.

So, how can I make a plugin for this?

I'm not sure about static linking, but if you wanna give it a go with musl, try Alpine Linux.

Yeah, Alpine indeed has it linked with musl. Busybox docs only mentioned µClibc.