Ray Kurzweil is the Prophet of Technology

Ray Kurzweil is the Prophet of Technology

What do Sup Forumsentlemen think about Ray?

Should we change RMS's picture in 2018 and put Ray up instead?

Other urls found in this thread:

lesswrong.com/lw/diz/kurzweils_predictions_good_accuracy_poor/
businessinsider.com/ray-kurzweils-immortality-diet-2015-4
crnano.org/interview.kurzweil.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

prophet of being completely wrong all the time

90% of his predictions have thus far come true

He says human level AI is 12 years away.
We will live to see it.
We literally live in the most interesting period of history.
Can you imagine how lucky we are?

If you smoke, quit smoking, if you drink too much, quit it. Live healthy, exercise, low carb diet, supplements etc. make sure you live another 20+ years cause if you do, you can live for 200, 300 years more.

Ray is/was in it for the money. He made those predictions to sell his "longevity supplements". He hasn't done basically anything public since he got on the google payroll in 2012.

Oh, and do intermittent fasting too

calorie restriction proved to extend life of mice and monkeys

also pay for yearly medical checkups for early disease detection

don't be a degenerate and you can maybe live forever

once we have superintelligent AI, aging can be reversed and we can fuse with machines

He made OCR.
He's working on Google's chatbot now. Have you checked how good Google Asistant is recently? on latest Android?

Singularity fags say sometime will happen, waiting ... in case fail yes but just looks today amazing tech ... say same shit until dead.

Yes, prophet say thousands stupid shit and fail predictions, but cult follower will found way he was rigth everything.

Nothing wrong with being an entrepreneur, he's a good marketer. He implemented existing tech into a unique device for a somewhat open niche. He's consulting for google/alphabet right now though, I really doubt he has much hand in the development of WaveNet. I think he's more of a show pony, so Alphabet can say, "we have mr. singularity himself on the payroll."

Shouldn't he have made millions selling his synth company?

He needs every penny he can get if he wants to live into his future. Dude's old as fuck.

He's literally a Jew

Stay in your containment board please.
Many brilliant technologists are Jewish, like the 2 people who created Google.

Kurzweil's belief in the Singularity is religious, stemming from an insane fear of death. He takes 300 supplements a day in an effort to live long enough to see the singularity. That's why his models are so optimistic. He desperately needs to believe he has a chance. That's why I can trust anything he says on the matter. Predicting small leaps in technology is one thing. Predicting a whole new paradigm is another.

can't trust*

>is religious
so?
doesn't mean it's untrue

singularity is religion for atheists who are absolutely terrified of death.

and on the off chance that shit ever works, I'll buy a Ray Kurzweil coredump, spawn a billion instances, and simulate a myriad versions of hell for him(?) to experience.

Predictions tainted by faith are worthless. Extrapolation - objectivity = shit.

I'm a firm believer in the Singularity, my guess is 2039.

I'm not terrified of death. And in fact, Singularity WILL be a kind of death.

We will no longer be what we are now. It will be impossible to retain the sense of identity we currently have as we fuse more and more with machines.

His personal motivation doesn't matter.
All that matters is that he's been right 90% on his predictions.

His predictions are independent events. You can't infer probability from the next one based on the past one.

You can to a certain degree

No, you can't. Also, the 90% number comes from Kurzweil himself. Maybe don't drink the kool-aid based on what the kool-aid salesman tells you?

lesswrong.com/lw/diz/kurzweils_predictions_good_accuracy_poor/

>What do Sup Forumsentlemen think about Ray?

I think he's a complete fucking hack.

Jewish nepotism.

He was great for being a catalyst of excitement around AI for people who haven't thought about it much before, but his ideas are very weak and not based on anything substantive. Plus, he keeps pushing pills and obsesses over resurrecting his dead father.

Anyone who is or once was interested in Kurzweil should read pic related. It's much more interesting than anything you will get from one of Kurzweil's tomes

And like all "prophets" he is full of shit and making stuff up

He has an immortality diet:

businessinsider.com/ray-kurzweils-immortality-diet-2015-4

Someone should make a Chad Singularitarian vs Virgin Luddite comic

Nah. Sometimes i kinda wanna die

>make sure you live another 20+ years cause if you do, you can live for 200, 300 years more.

Maybe, if you're a billionaire. You have to be VERY naive to think that every schmuck would be allowed to live several hundred years.

And even if you somehow will be allowed to extend your life - imagine being a wagecuck for 300 years, paying off all the (((loans))) you'll need to take to afford the technology. GEE, WHAT A JOY! Wackie-wackie all day every day for three fucking hundred years in a row. You won't even be able to retire until you're like 270. Boi, if you think that boomers fucked everything up in modern economy - think again. I cannot even imagine how fucked the social security and real estate prices will become after that bullshit comes in. Wheew, what a magnificent and bright future, amirite.

>inb4 some bs edgy teen drivel about owning btc or amazon/google/jewbook stocks

Great book

what the fuck does "singularity" has to do with eternal life? oxidation won't stop happening.

iirc Kurzweil thinks that there will be some kind of nanomachines in your bloodstream that will keep you young + artificially grown replacement body parts.

idk if yall know but his main book "the singularity is near" basically stole all the ideas a couple of "futurist" online mailing lists came up with and articulated within a decade. they weren't even mad, kind of glad someone with credibility gave exposure to those ideas . then nothing much happened until , what, the last 3 or 4 years when silicon valley started to talk about taht stuff and invest in it. it's all fine, i just hope that if research in longevity don't produce a big breakthrough within the next 30 years it won't create a kind of cultural backlash on that topic... people who were emotionally /financially invested in this won't become cynical, jaded, defeatist, turn coat "if we couldn't do it it can't be done! let's shit on the whole vision" and slow progress down at that level for the next 100 years...

I like Ray, but RMS is literally the essence of Sup Forums

>like the 2 people who created Google.

yes

Ray
>in 1999 language barriers will not exist automated systems in jewelry will translate whatever language the other person is speaking.
>Perfectly

its 2018 and they are average at best, you can see google translate in action.
Hit and miss.

His predictions are completely wrong.
And multiple years away.
We are talking 50~100 for good real time natural language translation.
And 200~NEVER for perfect because some languages don't translate to one another or have words or concepts impossible to translate.

See
Japaneses has no gender while English needs it.
And this shit was supposed to be in the 1999s and perfect we are talking 2118 for the beginner stuff he was predicting in 1999.
You calculate how off he is.

>Install botnet into brain
This is retarded, all trans-humanists will fall for the trap of technology.
ZERO concerns of how bad all of this can end.
Think its bad today?
>Get your remote kill chip into your brains kids it will get you into immortality somehow.
How about NO.

Just make sure everything runs free software with open designs :-)

My cousin is named after him.

Is he the guy behind those colourful infotainment youtube videos?

futurology was a mistake.

His predictions are usually very vague, that its easy for people to fill in the gaps and then say how correct he was.

machine learning to know what a cat looks like in pictures is very different from a machine that is self aware.

>crnano.org/interview.kurzweil.htm interview from 2005
>By 2015, we will have real traction with nanotechnology. I believe that we will be well on the way to overcoming major diseases, such as cancer, heart disease, and diabetes through the biotechnology revolution that we talked above. We will also make progress in learning how to stop and even reverse the ageing process.

Do we say he is right because we are making good strides OR do we say he is wrong because it is thanks for CRISPR ?

>By 2020, a single chip will provide 10^16 instructions per second, sufficient to emulate a single human brain.
I know we are still ~ 2 years away that that year, but we no where close to that on a single chip.

C60

Same like you can with your phone right?
Oh wait...
>Not running proprietary software is hindering the singularity
If you think phones are bad wait until brain chips are reveled to run
eliminate wrong think.exe
Or a simple tracker in your brain with a kill switch.
Tully these people are the superior robot gods and not idiots who will make slaves out of themselves.

Inferior old fags who are terrified of their own mortality and try to jump on a nonsense cult.

Some predictions are ultra easy to do:
We know how the position of planets will look like in the year 9999.

Some are on the same level processor power doubling, ram capacity.

Or similar:
government building projects to complete.

If you mix these predictions with your crazy ones and then say:
>See I was right about 90% of this stuff.

>By 2020, a single chip will provide 10^16 instructions per second, sufficient to emulate a single human brain.
This statement is meaningless.
uncles he defines the chip dimensions in m3 he can say whatever he likes.
>I consider 1 server farm to be 1 chip.
To save his ass.