Where the FUCK are programmers meant to break into the industry?

Where the FUCK are programmers meant to break into the industry?

>Live in a decent sized city.
>EVERY job wants 3+ years experience.
>What few jobs can apply for dont even respond to application
>Can't even get help desk position with cs degree

Do you have to move to san francisco or some shit to find a job?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=59fv2zbS6pY
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSVP_(invitations)
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>he doesn't know

Did you intern during your CS degree? Internships don't require experience, and once you graduate you have like 2 years of experience + a degree.

How the fuck do you get an internship? I've applied at places and no one calls me back.
Not OP btw.

>he went for the cs meme degree

How absolutely retarded do you have to be? Might as well have gone for a gender studies degree, at least then you'd find allegiance with the leftist crowd.

For me, it happened through my schools career fair. There were about 30 companies there that were looking for CS interns. So I just made my rounds with a stack of resumes, and introduced myself and handed out a resume to each one. I definitely didn't get a reply back from every company, but I did get an internship offer from 1 (after i had an an interview and all that).

Your dad's friend will find a job for you, don't worry

Can someone a couple of years out of college land an internship or are they fuckeroonied

>not getting tons of offers for comped trips for office tours and interviews while you're still in school

What's it feel like not being top of your class? I bet you don't contribute to open source either you waste of space

at least in my thrid world country, you're supposed to lie in your cv.

the better you lie, the best job you'll get. same goes for weekly meetings, and your career in general

Its absolutely unfair isn't it

>Be faggot who did a 2 years school for photography/photo editing or video editing
>Have a shitty instagram or a youtube channel where you posted your garbage reels
>nice to meet you here you have your job congratulations see you tommorow!
>be programmer who could have wrote the most fucking complex software on the planet
>But noo you have to have 3 years in some shitty fucking office creating iOS apps for $0.99 or get the fuck out

Life is suffering

Should've done internship(s). I did a year-long internship during my CS degree and got hired by the same company after graduating.

I didn't intern anywhere and got a good job in my first 3 months out of school. It took over a hundred applications. Apply more? Only 12 of my 100 something applications responded.

git gud

Top kek, they didn't tell you about this in uni? You're fucked, man.

>have never interned anywhere
>didn't even go to school
>got a job anyway and it pays very well
Just lucky, I guess??

Companies don't do direct hiring anymore. They have exclusive contracts with local (if you're lucky) IT contracting firms (brain pimps).

Find a local "IT Consultant" agency and get in contact with one of their recruiters. If you can convince the recruiter that you know stuff, they'll find a place to plug you in. If you're any good the client will often offer a "conversion" to a full-time employee.

Self taught here.
I found a job with a local furniture retailer, working on their ecommerce site, for $13 an hour. Bullshit pay.
I worked there for less than a year before offers started coming in through LinkedIn recruiters. I now make $90K doing the same work.

What does your resume look like? Do you write cover letters that show any enthusiasm at all? What is your interviewing style? More than likely you're just coming across as a dead fish looking for a paycheck so nobody is hiring you.

you must be very unimpressive

I seriously hope you are applying to them anyway. Worst case they just don't call you for an interview.

Pretty much this. I worked 2 or so years with virtually trivial pay and then traded up massively. Basically you're connected or you're someone's bitch until you prove yourself. Such is life.

>dad is CIO of fortune 100 company
>tells me every couple of weeks that some company want me to intern there
It's like marrying your son off to the princess of some other kingdom desu

What's your background?

Magic doesn't just happen. Took me 2 years after graduation to find a job (and it was a crappy one, although it paid decently for the year it was). Stuck with it for 2 more years while aggressively searching and finally got a good job (had to relocate).

Do you have a portfolio? (a good one)

Are you fucking retarded?

First guy is 99% likely to be jobless, second one has a decent chance at least.

If you go to a smaller school, you can also check to see if they have undergrad TA's during the school year, in between internships. A lot of schools don't do the greatest research, and often have problems filling their TA positions. It's easy - you run a few labs, mark a few assignments, and you even get to feel better about your programming because you get to see the absolute fucking garbage some students are handing in.

With that, you get work experience, probably a recommendation from a professor and, if your school has some kind of union, priority for jobs at the school after graduation because you become an "internal hire".

Where I live, internships doesn't count as experience.

But applying through regular channels is all bullshit anyway. You need contacts. Networking.

It doesn't matter if you are the god of programming: if nobody knows you, they're not interested. On the other hand, you can a retard and get a nice position if the right people like you.

The only way to be known without networking would be to be a top responder on stack overflow or something like that. But let's be real: no junior/entry level would be that guy. Those who have a nice portfolio like that are usually already employed.

>tfw me
I'm a Jr Sysadmin, but basically only got the job because a family friend worked at the company I'm at.

OP, make sure to maintain some kind of mild coding projects to show off some degree of skill if you don't have a lot of experience. Also go for some simple contract work where you can to build up contacts/references and work experience. You needs some fucking positive co facts where you can.

Ever heard of this thing called "networking" that some people do? Because a part of what you were supposed to do in uni was to do just that, not just pass your courses with good grades. Even if it doesn't get you a job directly, getting part time jobs while still at uni will look good on your resume and the better your resume looks, the better your chances are at getting a job in this field.

Another thing that you're more or less forced to do is to learn how to get interviewed. It's not just about bragging about your achievements, it's about bragging about them while looking like you're just presenting the information they just asked you to present.

All this is something I've either figured out by accident, or then trough trial and error from a 4 month long period when I was practically running from interview to interview. Another thing that also happened over these months was learning a now very deep seated discontent towards HR people (who generally can't do much more than read years of experience off your resume).

this is with all jobs nowadays
they want years of experience, but how are newfags suppose to get that experience if all demand it?

it's like being a virgin in all aspects of life nowadays
just kill me famalamadingdong

Also worth noting, but apply to 1-5 years experience jobs anyway.

That only works if you can practically spam applications because most places have HR people (much cheaper than someone who actually knows what they're doing) doing the initial filtering of applications and they do that based on the years of experience on your resume.

be a minority.

How did the employer look at the "gap" from your graduation date? Did they give you some BS about it? Were you working at all or living the NEET life in the mean time?

As ever, jobs are obtained through personal connections. Formal applications are for chumps.

>t. GF's Oxford graduate masters degree meant nothing and she couldn't even work in a shop, got a job off her mum's friend

Have a few moderately-complex personal projects on Github, and be ready to explain that employment gap. That being said, there's no reason you can't seek an internship out of college.

> Not knowing '3 years experience' is a ruse to scare away pussy-ass bitches like OP

JUST FUCKING APPLY. HOLY SHIT. THE WORST THEY SAY IS "NO SORRY". Christ Sup Forums sure is full of beta faggots with limp wrists and carpal tunnel since the only exercise they get is moving their fingers and walking to-and-from their Mountain Dew dispenser.

ok bye faggot, hope u stay out

Who said anything about leaving. I'm just mocking you faggots who complain about fictitious "required experience" posts. Just fucking apply and stop second guessing your abilities. If you do second guess yourself, it shows you aren't confident in yourself to begin with. Why would anyone want to hire a bitch?

The thing about those "3 years required" is that it's generally used as a filter even the most retarded HR people can follow. Only people who get trough that are those with those 3 years of experience or otherwise exceptional resumes.

Putting up a job advert for a position that you actually want to fill (so none of that bullshit nobody can fill so they can get H1B workers instead) tends to lead to a lot of applicants and rather than waste a lot of expensive experts' time they have cheap HR workers review them before an expensive expert gets to see them and thus act as a filter. HR workers don't know anything about the job they're in the recruitment process for so they have to include things that even they can understand and the usual thing they include is years of experience. It may not be a very accurate measurement, but most of the tech workforce has 3+ years of experience so it's proportionally small part of the tech force they're ignoring when they do that.

Shitty system, but what are you going to do when companies are as cheap as they are?

the solution is basically to just lie on your cv
most people do it anyway

Hijacking this thread. As someone who has sent 50+ apps out and has several internships, several personal projects and is graduating soon what advice can you give for different methods of getting a job. I.e. where should you look to network aside from career fairs and professors.

I've personally been through many of those HR-screener interviews with only 1 year of experience in a different language than the companies were using, but I had experience through schooling using the language. There are more companies outside the big tech ones, you know that right? If you aren't trying to be a noogler or Apple bro, and instead apply to that small mom-and-pop tech shop, they put 3 years experience moreso to scare away shit programmers.

Just try.

ure basically fucked today

youtube.com/watch?v=59fv2zbS6pY

Dude just network.
1. Look online for a usergroup in your area.
2. Attend the meetings regularly.
3. Don't be autistic as fuck.
4. Don't be desperate.
I dropped out of high school for fuck's sake and got a job developing scada/hmi applications.
You have a degree so it should be that much easier.
In my case, sending out applications and resumes to random companies was pointless from the get go, but imho your chances of getting hired will skyrocket if you just go hang out with them.

>Look online for a usergroup in your area
lolwut

I started attending something I found on meetups.com but there are likely to be more.
Just gotta look.

Where I come from small companies tend to not have those gaps so you can get an interview with them way more easily. As for those listings with 3+ year screenings I have tried sending in my resume with just over one year of (full time) experience and they pretty much always get filtered out and the few times I have gotten trough the feedback I get, if any, is that I interviewed well, but needed more experience for them to be comfortable hiring me. Shit, I've gotten that even from jobs with no or 1 year or less of experience required.

I do have a job right now and another year of (continuous) experience under my belt so the next round of job applications should be way easier.

Some companies will get interns and never actually hire them. It's super scummy, but it happens, though being able to put it on your resume as experience earned is valuable itself.

Emailing your CV to companies who don't actually have job postings up yet is really effective, too. Get a list of all the companies you CAN work for in your area, find their email addresses and send it to them.

Here's what universities don't tell you: degrees are worthless, the only reason you get a degree is to get past the HR bitch. The only reason you attend university is to network, so you have a friend whose dad knows someone who can get you a job. The more expensive / esteemed the university is, the higher your chance to land good (= rich) networking connections. People don't go to snob universities because they're better at teaching, but because the rich fucks are there. University is also the time where you intern as plan B. Don't waste your time sitting in lectures, they're utter garbage. Ideally you should have a job offer lined up way before you leave university.

t. faggot who learned this the hard way

everyone here is flexing about having connections but really like a lot of posts here say its just about the first time experience

get that shitty first job, its going to be shitty and its not going to pay well, then you'll be able to get the real jobs and golden meal ticket

and how do you get that first job?

connections

networking is everything

this guy knows the dark truth

>2. Attend the meetings regularly.
Do you aprouch to people that you dont know and start talking with them?

you need connections if you want your first job to not be a shitty job, but you dont honestly need connections just to get ANY job

lot of places have graduate specific hiring / actually junior 0 years required positions where they train you but you're on chump change, but your resumes going to look like shit without any job experience so atleast have a github with some shit on there

no.
if there's a website for this group then there will likely be a way to rsvp.

I'm not a programmer by trade (Physicist), I graduated with a 1st (4.0 GPA) in July and was searching for jobs constantly between roughly March and August and didn't get a single interview. Have an Excel spreadsheet, I applied for 53 different jobs, each time catering my CV to their specific needs and jumping through dumb online assessments. I only got one offer for an interview but they moved the date back 4 times and eventually cancelled it because they filled the position.
Now I'm back at uni doing a master's because I couldn't find anything, and nobody I met at university has been of any use at all. Have no family connections (small family of people working in supermarkets) and had to work over the summer in between years of my degree in order to be able to afford rent.
It's no use telling people to "just network" when you're surrounded by undergraduates who are just as fucked as you are and professors who straight up dismiss you. What the fuck am I meant to do

lul, stop this

yeah i guess if we're talking about mcdonalds or walmart

>rsvp
the fuck is that?

haha, another one who fell for ecudate mome

Just some advice on how I got employed.
Isn't that what the thread is about?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSVP_(invitations)

>I'm not a programmer by trade (Physicist)
So you are a retard with a degree that don't know how to read.
This thread is for programmers

or the programming equivalent, indian business to business consulting / "application offshoring" or small mom pop stores who just want you to put up their wordpress blog to the internet

if you have no connections, suck up your pride and get your 40-50k yearly job

who dat? katy perry?

Im this guy , sorry I am the actual retard that didnt read your post well

I empathize with you OP. I'm going to just keep applying everywhere and cold emailing devs. If you email 1000 people you should find at least one who needs a dev.

That's what I'm doing but it hasn't worked yet.

Physicist
Who needs a physicist today?learn SQL and react

I'm not OP, sometimes I think it's just me. All my friends and people I worked with during my studies are getting jobs now and I'm stuck essentially working for free now and being miserable, wishing I be useful
I got rejected from a graduate-level position which said "no experience required! Just a 2:2 or above in Physics", the reason they gave was "you're too inexperienced" lolwut
I always ask for feedback on why my applications aren't successful and the answer is always the same: You don't have enough industry experience. No shit, I've just left uni,
"Physicist" is very much becoming a thinly veiled disguise for code monkey in languages that were cool 30 years ago

>got a job in computer repair to pay the bills while I couldn't find something that actually involved programming
>climbed through Repair and ended up getting a job in the website/app part of the company
networking is everything
the age of the "0 social skills nerd that knows how to code" is over, this is the age of the "good employee first that also happens to know how to code"

How hard is it to freelance in programming?

This
Is not possible to start freelancing and then find a fisical 9 to 5 job?
experience people please respond

Don't worry about that. If they're entry level positions, you just need to apply. You don't have to meet every thing on the list, just have the skills that are most important and the hiring managers take it from there.

Stop being a pussy and put your info out there. If you think you can do it, you'll be able to convince them.

I don't know if I was lucky, but my cs degree was pretty bad and I still managed to get a ton of job offers
I think your job application is lacking or you have to lower your standards

juST GIVE ME A JOB
aaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Count your hobbies as experience. Call it "project development" or something

>tfw job tomorrow
you fucking neets don't know how good you have it

>the only reason you get a degree is to get past the HR bitch.

Probably the truest thing said in 2017

>Apply for McJob
>No user sorry

>Apply for Corporate Data Entry slave
>No user sorry

>Apply for like 20 internships and junior junior positions
>No user sorry

>Apply for fullstack developer
>gets roasted on Skype
>fucks up interview
>Pls come on monday

Life is a meme.

This is the way it is. Most degrees aren't worth the paper they are printed on. Compound that with the fact that the current trend in America is high schools telling kids that you MUST go to college, things are totally fucked.

>Being sour over having to go to work
Maybe you should have picked a profession you enjoy doing, and not just one that pays well.

Attended shitty local colleges, didn't read the textbooks because you didnt really need to in order to complete the assignments, then bitched about not being handed a job.
I guarantee you could have gotten jobs doing gruntwork but you consider it "beneath you" or it doesnt pay you $300k starting.

This is the way it is. Most degrees aren't worth the paper they are printed on. Compound that with the fact that the current trend in America is high schools telling kids that you MUST go to college, things are totally fucked with oversaturation. The bachelor's is quickly becoming the new high school diploma, only they ring you for tens of thousands of dollars first. Now that the MBA is the new meme, most places will require a Master's for entry level within a few decades if things aren't turned around. The other issue with this is it puts off people from actually becoming adults. A 22 year old graduating from University these days has zero skills to actually be an adult, but has thousands in student loan debt, most of which don't realize it can't be written off sans death.

no one in the CS department was helpful? Many physicists go into finance and write simulations in that field. maybe you can try that department in your uni. If they can't help, just ask if they know anyone that needs someone like yourself, hopefully they'll point you in the right direction.

Also, maybe you can ask the department head for some direction. Tell him your situation, make it clear you've put in some effort into networking, and they should put you into contact with a prof that can help.

haha
I do that to interviewees all the time just to check if their cocky little fuckers or not

Someone has to respond this please

I haven't spoken to the CS department, I was always instructed to speak to people in the Physics department considering I did Physics, and always assumed that the CS guys would think physicists can't write hello worlds, but I think I might try and speak to them if I can actually find where there department is.
I spoke to my personal tutor and he couldn't even give me advice because his first job was through a family connection, and then instantly did a phd and has been in academia since then. I also spoke to the head of department who's this scary Israeli guy and his advice was to apply for expensive extra education positions in places like Oxford and Cambridge, I told him that I don't exactly have £10,000 up front to pay for the fees of these courses and his answer was "You can't let money get in the way of what you want, that's no way to live your life". Great advice from somebody who makes ~£90,000 a year and I'm £45,000 in debt.
They're all practically useless, my university's career fair for physicists was filled with army recruitment desks, banks wanting managers and people with finance degrees and a steelworks hiring only engineers. Beyond a joke, and it's through stuff like this which has left me feeling like I'm alone with no guidance at all trying to get any job I can (and failing)

Agreed. inb4 everyone needs a phd just to get an unpaid internship

LOL at all the fucking stupid people in this thread...
>get bachelors in physics
>get grad degree in EE
>self-taught programmer because it's easy and useful
>get hired as an engineer at spacex right out of school (no internships needed, I spent my summers having fun)
>good pay, cool application, girls impressed by my job
>huge stock awards to give employees motivation, valuation going up exponentially

What's wrong with you people, seriously?

how the fuck did you manage to get an offer right after you graduated? can't understand how this happens at all, i spend weeks doing nothing but applying for jobs and working hard on my profiles on networking websites and keeping in contact with people i graduated with but there wasn't a single lead

Well, I did have to work on it... I had a grad degree from a good school, and I pestered people (recruiters and people that I guessed were hiring managers) on linkedin. And there was a pretty brutal interview process to get through. But spacex actually prefers fresh grads, because they haven't been indoctrinated by some other, shitty company. the recruiter literally told me that

I worked for a company, did freelancing for 2 years and went back into an other 9to5 job. Definitely possible, you just need a good reason why you want to change.

I found it pretty easy because I had enough contacts from my previous job. Did some projects for my old employer, got referrals, etc.

If you're fresh from college or haven't work before, you definitely need a solid portfolio. Don't try to compete on platforms like upwork against pajeets. Build up your network, e.g. if you are in webdev go to local ad agencies and offer them your services. If you have 3-4 jobs very well done you will get enough referrals.

You know what I enjoy doing? Stuff I don't HAVE to do every day until I'm 70 in order to not starve.

If you enjoy painting, that's great. But if you HAVE to paint every fucking day with timelines, requirements and deadlines, you'll start hating yourself and your job.

Most jobs aren't enjoyable. That's just the way it is.

>Yeah i'm a really """smart""" guy
>Need to beg for jobs
>No you see a company should hire me even though i'm an actual negative investment since i can't even survive without the company!

Oh boy. Here's a spoiler: Men get jobs, you children who can't even make your own living won't get them.
>Do my own company for 1 year, sell it off
>Try to find normal job, 5+ years experience needed
>Go there and don't act like a looser, get it since i know my stuff

Its that easy.

>50+ apps
10x that number my friend. 50 is nothing, you should be churning that out in under a week, minimum.

Freelancing is easy.
Freelancing with stable clients and stable pay is not.

>people actually advocate taking internships

This sort of shit should be illegal.