Linux virgins will defend having to remember thousands of useless commands to pretend they are cool instead of clicking...

>linux virgins will defend having to remember thousands of useless commands to pretend they are cool instead of clicking their way to what they actually want

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=CCG4daPvuVI
youtube.com/watch?v=V2MvbfuITT8
youtube.com/watch?v=wDRTjzLNK0g
youtube.com/watch?v=raKHHFv4nN8
youtube.com/watch?v=ZEoJgQAfb5Y
youtube.com/watch?v=7znIHsyqfm0
youtube.com/watch?v=E8hO4K7mZG4
youtube.com/watch?v=O4BUcIDdpAM
youtube.com/watch?v=lGFUtqM8oAs
youtube.com/watch?v=Dqumdhqy8Uw
cad.softwareinsider.com/compare/5-10/AutoCAD-vs-BricsCAD
youtube.com/watch?v=4eLM3NrOJms
youtube.com/watch?v=5XW0AqKG5zI
youtube.com/watch?v=Qmjz6WXyWBY
youtube.com/watch?v=TqZeThC38ug
youtube.com/watch?v=D5RIveQypgw
youtube.com/watch?v=7-Mo3GTcOQ4
youtube.com/watch?v=mnk_VzedqlU
youtu.be/JmH4KYcmHOo
sylvia-ritter.com/new-gallery/
peppercarrot.com/
blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve
youtube.com/watch?v=3tvDJTUoHkc
tracktion.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

what like sfc /scannow, chkdsk /r /f or maybe DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

>winbaby still trying to cope with the fact that he can't use a decent OS because of his childish hobbie
i've used linux for years and the only commands i know are: apt install, apt update and apt upgrade. it's enough to install software and update my system. plus i dont have to use pajeetware software or worry about virus.

linux is perfectly usable for someone who buys modern devices just to browse the web (and shitpost)
for everyone else it's utterly useless

that's true.
i feel sorry for people that have to be part of the botnet because they work with video editing and such.
but it's amazing how something free and made by the community can be way better than what a multi-billion dollar company makes.

This is retarded. Linux is for work and special deployments. The ignorance is astounding

>b-but muh fl studio!1!!1

Don't knock it. It's great exercise for your brain. I used to think the same until I began to realize that easy technology was gradually ruining my ability to undrstand and remember things. For instance, there was a time when I actually knew all of the phone numbers of my friends and family. It's not really advantageous to remove yourself from the inner-workings of things, either.

???

The kicker: None actually even work

The amount of NEETs on this board is disgusting. The world runs on Linux, kys

>It's great exercise for your brain
Unironically this but most Windows users don't have much of a brain anyway so I'll happy let what little is left rot away from Alzheimer's

LMAO
So true...

I don't think I've ever used anything in those tiles in the Windows start menu.

If memorizing Linux commands is the only exercise you get for your brain then you're in for a rude awakening my fellow NEETs

>made by the (((community)))

It's called interacting with the machine the way god intended.

There's a reason CLI is the most powerful tool at your disposal.
Use any lego like GUI scripter and you'll quickly get the analogy: the whole OS is just one big toy.

You should try using an actual modern distro instead of falling for fud. Ubuntu and most other user friendly distros have app stores just like on your phone were you just click and install all the clicky programs you want.

Being this retarded.
1. You can do everything you need with GUI.
2. If there is an issue where you need terminal to fix it, then a quick web search most likely will give results with step by step copy-paste instructions.
3. How hard it is to you to remember things like:
rm - remove
cp - copy
mv - move
sudo apt install
apt search
etc...

4. There is no need to remember things like:
- what arguments command takes
- how to do this thing with this command (i.e. delete directory recursively)
- some specific things related to specific commands (git, tcpdump, ffmpeg etc.)
just:
man

OP, go back to Sup Forums please.

I am aware of that and it is nice for a hobby. But if I want to do serious work I want to be efficient and quick about it so that I can get to the programs that I need instead of fiddling around the CLI and looking for guides or whatever.

What kind of friend having, girl kissing, fun having, immature child needs a gui anyway?

>remember commands
>man history

Why sure, I much enjoy spending 2x amount of time to do the simplest task via CLI.
It makes me feel like a proper hacker punching letters in a terminal. Winbabies are suckers lmao

What serious work do you do?

Data anlytics

>But if I want to do serious work I want to be efficient and quick about it
Okay, now imagine that certain tasks require you to then use Linux.

Whoaaaa

And you cannot see how a computer would make it faster for you?

My point is to choose the fastest path regardless if it is CLI or GUI. A computer is supposed to serve me to make my work easier, not harder.

>thousands of useless commands
>commands

>he doesn't realize the command line is a programming language

post desktops

> memorising
> clicking their way to what they actually want

yeah lemme just click my way past 50 menus to stop hiding file extensions

>GUI doesn't exist

A GUI can make it more easy the first couple of hundred times, but eventually you'll start to notice a pattern, then you could using the cli create a script that automates the majority if not the full task.

Why do you think having the option of a CLI harms efficiency? I use windows and Linux in roughly equal amounts, my job would be way harder / impossible if I couldn't use bash or some other shell

>special deployments
What are you talking about?

The CLI is not supposed to make it harder, it is supposed to make it flexible.
If you always type the same command, you should be able to store it so you can use it with your GUI.
As long as you have to press more than one button in your GUI, there is something to script.

/thread

this. There's almost nothing you are forced to do in a terminal in a modern, user-friendly distro.

Then what is the point of powershell, which is literally .net laden copy of the unix shells.

not him, but to add to this:
you can list all available commands, then man them, or add --help after them, and it will explain everything about it.

Even if what you were saying were entirely true it would still be pathetic that you as windows/mac OS user has to click their way over to Sup Forums and post your worthless opinion on the board.

Servers, development environments, VMs, secure machines, automatrd systems, robotics, supercomputers, scientific computing, etc etc.

I can't really enumerate every use case for Linux because it's the preferred machine context for everything outside of media consumption and media production

DESIGNATED

CLI master race: cp ~/Downloads/whatever.jpg ~/Pictures/Sup Forums/"epic meems xDDD"/
GUI dumbfuck race:
>open up window, go to Downloads
>have to right click, select copy
>have to navigate all the way to aforementioned folder
>have to right click and paste
>maybe if you're not a total dumbfuck, use shortcuts like ctrl+C and ctrl+V
CLI is faster senpai.

>he doesn't use zsh alises

Windows is like a plastic butter knife and Linux is like steel kitchen knife. With windows kids feel always safe to use and have fun with it playing to be chefs, doing things like cutting tomatoes or maybe onions, even if they do it in a slow or clumsy way, but meanwhile they feel happy and satisfied with themselves. Then when they see you cooking with the steel knife they starts wondering how it feels, then they starts whining that they want to cook like you and want to use the steel knife instead the small plastic one. You say that you cannot do that because you're busy but you'll teach him later. The kid gets angry and start whining more that he want the knife now and don't want the plastic one anymore, you tell him that to use the knife he must practice and be patient, meanwhile he should start with a smaller one. The kid gets more angry and tell you that he don't need your ugly and stupid knife because the yellow plastic one is more cool, and more safe, and he can do the same things, and that this one is not allowed for adults to use. Then you laugh in a light way like thinking 'that's cute' and you just say ok.

Woooah so nothing but server shit? Gee everyone needs to learn another useless thing they won't ever use unless INTERESTED

Later in the night when you're sleeping, the kid takes the steel knife and starts playing with it. He feels very exited, this one is heavier, shiny, it cuts things very easily, now he feels like a professional. Then he try to cut harder things, or trying to cut the vegetables in small cubes. During his play he mistakenly cuts his finger and starts crying very loud. You wake up and hurry up to see whats happening and you cure his finger with a bandage and cleaning the injure. The kid starts blaming you saying that this is because you didn't lend him the knife when he asked, that you never have time for him, that your shitty knife is dangerous and you're a retard for using it, that he didn't need anyway, that was your fault for always treating him like a kid. The only thing you do then is hug him and say, 'ok but promise me that you'll not try to use the knife again until being more grown', the kid just nods with his head while a tear walks over his face.

We already know how winshills works:
>Windows
>I-its not so bad!
>There's literally nothing wrong with it!
>It's the only desktop OS that should exists!
>I-it's just telemetry to make it better!
>It's private data i don't care about anyway!
>If you give a certain piece of data to one company you must give all your private data to all companies because otherwise you're being hypocrite!
>I have nothing to hide!
>It's not mistreating, it's just a company doing company-like things.
>It's not microsoft being anti-competitive, anything goes on war, we don't need hypocrite moralfag hippies!
>Google are a buch of anti-competitive bastards because they don't support WP, competition on the mobile space against android would benefit everyone!
>It doesn't matter if supporting their practices doesn't benefits me. I defend them because my work depends on a program that only works on their platform!
>Customization is for nerds anyway!
>It doesn't matter if there exist multiple competing programs that supports your platform, if this specific program doesn't support your platform and you use that platform you must be unemployed! it's the industry fucking standard!
>No one needs that feature windows doesn't have, the average joe doesn't care!
>Android is not linux! that doesn't count as linux being successful!
>how you dare to criticize microsoft you autistic neet!
>Package managers are stupid anyway!
>Linux will never be relevant because you need to use the terminal to hack the mainframe for everything!
>Are you kidding me? you just need to run this commands and third party programs to opt out from those usage terms you don't like!
>You need to waste time editing thousands of text files just to feel you're a hacker on linux!
>Windows is not for idiots who cannot reinstall or configure their OS properly!

Id honestly us any linux distro if i didn't have to install shit through the command line, you can call me a brainlet all you want but id rather find a program I want and click install instead of copying and pasting from a guide and it still not work (I've been through many distros and i always come back to windows, i really try)

I sometimes think of pic related when people say command line is easier, it's easier maybe for you but the option for gui install would help alot

No you wouldn't

If you really did, you'd be using Linux Mint or buguntu

Or it's their job?

>Gee everyone needs to learn another useless thing they won't ever use unless INTERESTED

Great argument I'll quit my job right now, and so should everyone in critical tech jobs. Nobody should take advantage of Linux and the world should stop serious computing because you can click around real quick and don't need to learn nothing more

Fuck you're retarded, are you OP?

There are options for gui installs. Ubuntu has an "app store" which is a gui for the package manager and other distros have then too.

>we're posting to a Linux server right now

Sup Forums's hosted on linux?

cool

It's rare for a distro to not be 100% usable with the GUI only. You have to be a brainlet if you can't install Ubuntu or antergos and be totally fine

>instead of clicking their way to what they actually want
What I actually want is not available anywhere. I had to write scripts for it myself. I am not remembering useless commands, I am remembering how to do what I want.
By the way, zero is not a natural number.

Fool, you can easily get by with like 10 commands and maybe a handful of their variants.

Oh man you sure showed me, i didn't try , if i did id be using a distro of your choice, i used ubuntu 3 months, kubuntu for another month, and lots of other flavors for varying amounts of time, i used Zorin OS for 6 months until i had to duel boot with Windows for collage, then compared and went back to windows sadly, literally the command line is what kills it for me
Oh those are great but if i need something not in the 'app store' kind of thing its a pain, i don't prefer app stores but as it is because of how simlar it is to phones , but it's alot better then the command line
I installed it, it just couldn't fit my needs for a while, even after all the work of the GPU bypass
Unless i need to install something

You can use Mint without even opening the terminal

You're not brainlet, you're brainless

Did you see where i said 'INTERESTED' you fall under that category

>Unless i need to install something
>what is a gui package manager

Pic related really makes you think.

too bad it's actually true. linux software is borderline garbage

So you were trying to do something advanced like GPU passthrough to a VM and are surprised that there was no GUI for your configuration? Bro, some advice is that you shouldn't try to use Linux as a host OS for the one thing windows is good at: using the Microsoft directx API and running windows-only software

JUST WERKS

I actually haven't tried mint, thanks for the insult though makes me really want to use it, although the Linux community is full of elitist i know it's a good OS and would prefer it over windows despite the few things it misses, the gui install ive talked too much about to where its one if my only points now, and things being supported
>GAYMER GO Back TO Sup Forums
No , games are fun but i meant stuff like photoshop and other Adobe products

Oh, hi, if this is not an sponsored microshaft thread then i guess you wouldn't mind if i put this pasta here:
Kicad
youtube.com/watch?v=CCG4daPvuVI
Natron
youtube.com/watch?v=V2MvbfuITT8
Blender
youtube.com/watch?v=wDRTjzLNK0g
Krita
youtube.com/watch?v=raKHHFv4nN8
Krita
youtube.com/watch?v=ZEoJgQAfb5Y
Lightworks
youtube.com/watch?v=7znIHsyqfm0
Kdenlive
youtube.com/watch?v=E8hO4K7mZG4
Unity3D
youtube.com/watch?v=O4BUcIDdpAM
Opentoonz
youtube.com/watch?v=lGFUtqM8oAs
Godot engine
youtube.com/watch?v=Dqumdhqy8Uw
BricsCAD VS Autocad
cad.softwareinsider.com/compare/5-10/AutoCAD-vs-BricsCAD
Bricscad
youtube.com/watch?v=4eLM3NrOJms
Freecad Demo
youtube.com/watch?v=5XW0AqKG5zI
Freecad BIM
youtube.com/watch?v=Qmjz6WXyWBY
Freecad & 3D printing
youtube.com/watch?v=TqZeThC38ug
Gimp 2.10 features
youtube.com/watch?v=D5RIveQypgw
How to install photoshop on wine
youtube.com/watch?v=7-Mo3GTcOQ4
Digikam
youtube.com/watch?v=mnk_VzedqlU
Pixar Film Production
youtu.be/JmH4KYcmHOo
Linux art 1
sylvia-ritter.com/new-gallery/
Linux art 2
peppercarrot.com/
Davinci Resolve
blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve

Yeah your right on that, although i really hate the bloat of Windows so it's one of the reasons why i tried so hard to switch, i don't care much on the botnet part of things as you really can't escape it completely but one less thing being tracked on would help

The claim of the thread the posts in that reply chain is that there isn't a NEED to use Linux or the CLI, and that people who use Linux don't NEED to 'because you can click around fast in windows'. You bringing up interest has nothing to do with anyone argument. Of course people who both don't need to use linux, and aren't interested in linux-based systems, don't have to use or learn Linux. Who suggested that?

>development enviroments

hwhat

Say you want to install skype on Ubuntu
>download the .deb package from the Skype website
>dpkg -i skype.deb
>done
How is this any harder than downloading a setup.exe from the Skype website and clicking yourself through the gui?

you don't even need to dpkg

assbuntus and mint comes with gdebi pre-installed

by the time you write all of that, i can copy the file at least twice, what the fuck is your point

>using Kike OS in current year
>be a degenerate who can't use CLI/REPL in 1720
Top wincuck. Typical soyboy numale.

>thanks for the insult though makes me really want to use it, although the Linux community is full of elitist
Compared to what? are you able to tell me with an straight face there's not a huge amount of elitist apple users? the guys who literaly mocks any person for "being too poor" for not having an apple product? Are you able to tell with an straight face me there's not a huge amount of windows users mocking console users and calling themselves "the PC master race"? Or that there's not there the so self proclaimed "windows power users" who treats like shit and makes fun of any person who is learning how to use windows?
Oh yeah, now i'm gonna use your same logic now: your passive agressive attitude and playing to be the victim seriously will convince me that linux users are bad and will make me want to come back to windows, sure.

>CAD
eww

Nice, I never knew there's a command like "history". Cheers bro

Hence why images get fucked up when 2 people post at exactly the same time

The environment that you program in.

is that sarcasm?
if not, your history probably gets stored in ~/.bash_history
if you ever want to delete it
Make sure to write rm ~ /.bash_history

Sup Forums is run from Mac minis

>eww
elaborate, in the meanwhile take some more un/sponsored recommendations ;)
bitwig studio
youtube.com/watch?v=3tvDJTUoHkc

Tracktion
tracktion.com/

Draftsight
Darktable
Salome
NREL SAM
maxima
Desktop editors
Code Aster
OpenFoam
Inert_6
Elmer
openScad
openCascade
Meshlab
masterPDFeditor
PdfSAm
TeighaViewer
TeighaFileConvecter
Planner
Code saturne

> remember
lol, i don't need to remember anything.

ever heard of auto completion?
Plus my favorite tool: fzf

e.g: history | fzf
or find . | fzf

Skype is ass for one , and for two clicking install is easier then looking up what to type in, then typing it in
Pre installed bloat, fun

what i mean is that windows definitely still ahead by its IDE usage compared to linux

I hate mac users man, but I'm not saying there aren't elitist in all communities, I'm just saying anytime you ask a question here you get called a insult of some kind but and put down for even TRYING to still use Windows or something, I'm not trying to play a victim card, although if it seemed like i am i actually apologize, but I'm just saying i have tried to use linux and enjoyed it until the main point of using the command line, when i myself HAD to, I'm not saying it's shit like others are, I'm just saying it's why i went back to windows

What if you're dealing with hundreds of files nested deeply in different directories and you're trying to create new files and dynamic configurations based on profiles and other complex conditions. You know, a realistic computing problem rather than a streamlined end-user task? Good luck dragging and renaming files manually. The premise of this thread suggests nobody uses computers to create programs or to interface with GUI-less systems. Like, I know you don't, but some people use Linux CLI because it's the best way to do certain things

So just for servers and not desktops.

Windows makes more sense than mac.

Because if you are using mac you may aswell use linux instead.

Using Linux/Windows pretty much gives you access to anything.

Using Linux/Mac or Windows/Mac and you might need to get windows or linux anyways to get something done. You really dont need a mac for anything.

>tech illiterate wintards have to use a mouse and click through a gui to do something as trivial as list directory contents
>using a computer for years on end but can't take a couple hours total to learn the trivial basics and be more comfortable and productive for it

>clicking their way to what they actually want
>proprietary software
>thinking it does what you want it to do

I use windows and im a virgin

>computer programs only exist for servers
>the programs for your desktop computer just magically appear because nobody programmed them

>muh linux is a server os meme
You realize servers tend to be a fuckton more powerful than your wimpy desktop, right?
You realize you can put in multiple GPUs in a server and it'll BTFO a desktoplet like you. In gayming and everything else.

Besides that, GUI applications in Linux are way better now than they were even 4 years ago, and that's what your bullshit comes from, the fact the Windows and OS X has had better desktop interfaces for a while. Can't say that's the case anymore.

And GUI restricts you to what it allows the user to do, while only in a terminal can you actually do whatever you want