Why do CS:GO players like 4:3 or 4:3 stretched so much, which has a smaller FOV than 16:9...

Why do CS:GO players like 4:3 or 4:3 stretched so much, which has a smaller FOV than 16:9, when Quake players like to have the widest FOV possible, to the point of looking like a fisheye lens?

stretched aspect ratio makes your enemies wider and easier to target
however, it requires immense autism to put up with.

This, whereas in Quake you just need to see as much as possible at all times.

4:3 is not a FOV

i'm a fucking newb at both, but I think CSGO players like 4:3 for 2 reasons. One being that they may have started back with CS 1.6 and are used to 4:3, and the other being that CS requires a lot more precise headshot tap-shot accuracy. It's better to be able to have a narrow but zoomed perspective than a wide but pulled-back feeling view.
But i'm sure there's other reasons.

>One being that they may have started back with CS 1.6 and are used to 4:3

yeah this is probably the biggest one for the older pro players that use unstretched 4:3, CS 1.6 and Goldsrc engine games in general actually give you LESS FOV when you use 16:9 resolutions for some reason

You're spot on senpai.

also what this guy said. With CS, you need to get those perfect headshots from long distances.
In Arena Shooters, it seems more important to be able to keep track of where your enemy is coming from, as they move much faster and have more angles they could come from.

I think the best way to explain would be to say that quake is more like gurella warfare, and CS is more like an old-west revolver-drawing duel.

I believe CSGO had a default FOV for each aspect ratio nad sometimes you can't change it in the console depending on the game mode. 4:3 is 90 while 16:9 is 100. (It's measured in vertical, so those values are off the top of my head.)

CSGO gives a higher FOV when running 16:9 than 4:3, but like other user said a stretched 4:3 gives this zoomed feel, which makes getting headshots easier.

>b-but muh fov makes it easier to spot enemies
If you're any good at CSGO you'll look in the directions where you will spot and shoot players regardless. Very rarely do you ever spot one in the corner of your eye and adjust, or get shot in the back and adjust.

The best player in North America uses 1024 black bars and he started with csgo if that means anything to you op

aspect ratio comes down go personal preference usually. Most pros started in the early 2000's so that's why they use 4:3

cs encounters happen in hallways
quake encounters happen in spacious rooms

generally

quake players do not use the highest fov possible, i dont know where you're getting that from. most of the top tier duelers use/used somewhere around 100-120. the only players i can recall using high fov settings were guys who played ctf a lot

dont understand the black bars meme, completely negates any advantage from the FOV apart from fps boost which is pretty negligible on a real gaming rig

Esea IM player here. I use 4:3 Blackbars, I switched from stretched a few months ago. The main reasons why people do 4:3 in csgo:
1. Pros from 1.6 and such used 1024x768 on their crts back in the day and stuck with it. People try to emulate their favorite players and use settings similar to them.
2. There's no guarantee that LAN pcs at events can get 200-300+ fps at 1920x1080. Even a very meh pc can run 1024x768 at 300 fps. You don't want to get used to good fps at home and face a disadvantage at LAN.
I used stretched 4:3 because I used to play on a ThinkPad and couldn't break 100 fps otherwise. I switched to bb now because I mainly tap/burst and avoid long sprays. Though enemies (and heads) are wider and "bigger" in stretched, they also appear to move faster. Think about it: is it harder to click on a faster moving target that's slightly bigger, or a slower moving target that's slightly smaller? The main disadvantages of 4:3 are that far away enemies are kinda blurry and you have shitty peripheral vision. But in cs, if you know how to play the game well, these don't come into affect nearly as much as you'd think. If you have good game sense, you should know where an enemy can and can't be and position yourself to see them best. Smokes, flashes, and good crosshair placement cancel out the long range disadvantage. I get plenty of kills from A main cache towards the guy at truck, because I know where to put my crosshair and if I see some movement/a small bump there, i just have to click where my crosshair already is.

i wasn't a pro but i played cs a lot back then. most pros from 1.3-1.6 used 800x600 and 640x480, they mostly did this because different resolutions had different crosshair size, 640 had the largest. lower resolution=more stable fps too. i'd say like 90% of the pros used 800x600. when 1.6 came around they added in an option to use different crosshair size for whichever resolution you wanted to use because LCDs were getting popular and the crosshair size for high resolutoins was like a fucking dot

Hello mister I pay you to carry me to A+??

4:3 is a meme people only use it to raise fps or they claim it makes the head bigger on the screen thus easier to hit but in reality the only thing it does is limit your fov

My friend thinks he can be a pro by copying pro players' settings. I was dead and watching him, he was the last alive in a 1v1, and clear as day the guy came in quietly from the edge of the screen and shot him dead. I instantly knew he was playing in a super shitty low res. He still hasn't fucking switched to native.

I use 120 fov usually. Anything past is pretty retarded.

16:9 is 107 fov and 4:3 is 90 fov, by default in cs:go.

4:3 just looks better, stretched or not
16:9 or 16:10 at native rest just has way too much going on... by the time you see what it is you need to see on your screen, you're dead

Cs;go has a meme accuracy system for guns, most of the time you strafe left and right and try to sync the recoil with the aim, so you want a narrower FOV amd lower resolution to get bigger targets to shoot at

Quake on the other hand has pinpoint accuracy and a much more fast paced gameplay with lunatics jumping on the maps at mach 5, so it's most important to be able to see the enemy for first and avoid to lose track of it hence why I used to play with 140° FOV

>Quake players like to have the widest FOV possible, to the point of looking like a fisheye lens?
You don't know much about quake do you?

> IM
> worth listening to

This pretty much, when you are good at quake you already know where your opponent is generally and go for a comfy middle ground for aim/ movement. Often times players will even set a specific fov for certain weapons.

>best player in North America
So the skill level of an average Russian player?

Is that moot??

some find all the visual information going on with a 16:9 aspect ratio distracting

I think it's because of the unlimited frames too. Less pixels. They basically want that CRT functionality

Post link main boy

are you seriously implying Sup Forums would have anything remotely related to say about this?

Sauce on the hot piece arse please cunt. I'd fuck that into next week.

Sup Forums is that a way