Is French a less flexible language than English?

I often hear from the English and Americans that French is infinitely less flexible than English. If any one of you can speak French, could you please explain me why they think so?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wiktionary.org/wiki/est-ce_que
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_English_words_of_French_origin
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthetic_language
quora.com/What-is-the-difference-between-an-analytic-and-a-synthetic-language
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

because they are faggots and their womens love my french dick

me dick is pretty flexible if you see what I mean mdr senpai (senpai = famille, la famille ouais ouais 93 représente dédiace à tous les frères de la téci si toi aussi t'es en galère de shit un vendredi amdoulila) mdr spèce de pauvre hohol de merde PTDR

je vois négro

PTDRMDR LE SLAVMERDE EN PLS

#O K L M

kek, I'm seriously stumped though

behold a shitposting superpower at work

Opposite. English is less flexible than the french.

It's wrong to say "Why the english run in this direction ?"

You must put "do" , it's mendatory.

In french we can say both because our language is flexible.

Why the english/ Pourquoi les anglais
Why do the english/ Pourquoi est-ce que les anglais

I don't seem to get anything you wrote

What did he mean by this ?

Disregard them.
French is stricter in the way you'd handle the grammar and vocabulary. Think of it as English using the rules used in French, plus those from some other languages that wouldn't be acceptable in French.

I should think your brains are already hardwired by your primitive language so that you cannot even communicate as a normal non-subhumanish human being any more

Also it feels like everything takes a bit longer to say in French.

Can you be more specific?

Tell me the good way :

Why do the English hate the French ?
Or
Why the English hate the French ?

People often think they know how to speak French but they don't pêh

The words are longer, and you pronounce more syllabi. Especially with a southern accent.
I like to compare it with someone who would speak properly the Queen's English, and someone who'd eat half of them, like you'd hear in London, or some others who'd use simplified versions of each words, like Aussies.

So is it maybe French word order that is more strict?

Not sure what you mean by "flexible" OP, but I would say that french is more precise because of the verb order.

Bete noir=black animal

In french, you establish first that you're talking about an animal, and then go on to describe it.

If english is more "flexible" it may be because it borrows loanwords and concepts from everywhere (all languages do this, but english started with a smaller vocabulary and it's easier to adopt bits and pieces of other languages because the language has been doing this for a very long time.

tldr; diplomats speak french, businessmen speak english

I try to anwser to you that not but you ignore me. Why brie ?
Check this

en.wiktionary.org/wiki/est-ce_que

In french you can skip this. But in english language you must use the interrogative particle.

I don't know, I think you can be more lenient in French with this and also compose more sentences, but that might just be because it's my native language.

>In french, you establish first that you're talking about an animal, and then go on to describe it.
So you're saying that in French you put an adjective after a noun? sheesh, what a huge difference!! Just a perfect excuse to go on a killing spree and kill some French

Bonjour, mon nom est Mehdi. Je suis né à Alger, mais je suis aussi français que Voltaire lui-même.

in Spanish too in most cases(most exceptions are when you want to underline quality of noun)

It is. I knew a French guy who said the amount of English words in the vocabulary is getting bigger all the time because they're shorter and easier to pronounce.

kek'd

like those?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_English_words_of_French_origin

Putting verbs before adjectives is just an example; french doesn't have nearly as many irregular verbs/weird spelling as english does, plus when you think about things like intonation and syntax french is somewhat more predetermined.

For example, france has a national standard/governing body to determine what "correct" french is, whereas in anglo countries we don't have anything like that.

The precision/ambiguity is built into each language from the bottom up. and language influences the way people think.

>tfw when you learn something in a language that doesn't translate, but you like the concept

>plus when you think about things like intonation and syntax french is somewhat more predetermined.
Could you show me any example of this in French and then compare it to an English sentence?

yeah instead brits got posh cokneys (if i may call this dialects) and they are not even the scottish or irsih dialects and etc. mericans you got spanglish but you havent in fact official lang at all not to mention ghetto jargone that its almost official for you bling bling muthafacka or even for chinz kek lulz etz

p-proud, shitpost master-san?

memes aside, perfect French.

>For example, france has a national standard/governing body to determine what "correct" french is, whereas in anglo countries we don't have anything like that.
That's because France has a history of being a very centralized, statist nation.

"Why the English the French hate?", obviously

>can't omit subject

in most non English langs nationalities are written with small letters only countries are with caps

To me, it just seems like we tons and tons of alternatives to express an idea while also having a lot of different nuances to it. Be it with our deeper vocabulary or varried sentence structure, French just seems more flexible than English.

Why then everybody repeatedly says OVER and OVER again that French is stricter, less flexible, not comfortable to use and so on?

probably because when you got rules to follow your language dont seems start to look like this in time:

You are screwed because you dont have a screwdriver to unscrew that screw.

He just wrote you got many options and nuances made by following the languages rules and not shorten it to some banal narative.

Do you have some slight retardation?

No one said easy or short=flexible, seem you cant get this concept through this thread

People say that because they are stupid.
What you just wrote sounds retarded and it's very obvious English isn't your first language, but it's still intelligible.

In French its the same way. You can say something correct but awkward. I think the difference between English and French is just that the French are more open about telling you your French sounds wrong then Anglos, who are by and large, giant pussies.

my english is perfect you dimwit, ask your mother if don't believe me

But both the sentences you gave as examples have English versions, you translated them wrong, or you don't understand that the auxilary in English just marks if a sentence is a question or a negative.

Pourquoi est-ce que les anglais

"Why is it that the English" is perfectly valid in English too

Probably they're referring to the ease of using a noun as a verb or a verb as a noun, the interchangability of words in English is easy because there isn't a base infintive form in English. plus you can put words together easier in English and make novel combinations, which is harder to do in romance languages with using "de" or "du" a lot.

btw are there many things in spanish grammar that are just made up to sound good as for example indirect object pronouns le lo = se lo

by this logic Russian is less flexible than English, which is simply laughable

"made up", you make it sound like a conspiracy to piss off spanish language learners.

It evolved that way because saying "le lo" all the time sounds retarded

well the logic was that English words don't have their function marked out clearly, it's hard to say if a word is an adjective a noun or a verb from its form, so they can be used more flexibly, within limits and usage.

I didn't say "this is the only way a language can be flexible". Obviously russian is a lot more flexible when it comes to word order, but we're comparing English and French, they both have more or less the same word order

nah these are different group langs read

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthetic_language

im kinda spanish learner myself so im just asking what to expect

The good thing about Spanish is that it's a pretty regular language. Once you dominate the grammar, the rest is pretty easy to pick up.

no te rindas!

english is a much more efficient language than french. things that should be simple and easy to express can take a long time in french - plus if you don't know how to say something in english or you want to invent something new, you just make it up and nobody will notice.

e.g.
dans le sens des aiguilles d'une montre = clockwise (this is why england became a true superpower and not france)
donner un coup de poing à (qqn) = punch (someone)

in english every object can be a verb too if you really want it to:
i.e. if i say "beer me" it means give me a beer.
and then if i say "bottle him", that means smash a bottle on his head

plus the millions of ways you can change a verb using prepositions.

push around = to bully or coerce
push back = to delay
push over = to topple / (adj) to be easy to manipulate
push (up, down) for directions

back up = move backwards
back down = surrender
back off = give up or leave
back out = to reverse (in a car), leave a
desu you can pretty much make these up if you have a good imagination and understand the context of the prepositions and how they are generally used with verbs.

>it's a pretty regular language
are you fucking kidding me??? What about verbs like ir? Did you see how many forms are out there? And you literally need to memorize them as individual words.

mdr pousse un peu ta glotte de merdeux des marais pour laisser passer la grosse bite anglo misérable boule de chiasse, flamanguin de mes couilles

>If any one of you can speak French

I think I see a teeny tiny flaw in your plan lad

>plus the millions of ways you can change a verb using prepositions.
in other languages you'd use suffices and prefixes to convey same things, which makes it equal

I don't hate you m8

what's that?

> to roosky complaining about many forms of a word
))))))))))))

but Russian at least has some logic and doesn't have such crazy irregularities like Spanish does. Btw some words in the list are non-existent at all. It's just a joke.

je veux que les anglais nous annexent et aussi notre pauvre wallonie. tout s'eclaire.

>Btw some words in the list are non-existent at all.
Highlight those please.

I feel like a lot of people here are missing the point, flexible =/= easy.

Бeжaтьcя и тaк дaлee

Пpoбeжaтьcя.

C твoeй мaмкoй пoeбaтьcя

quora.com/What-is-the-difference-between-an-analytic-and-a-synthetic-language

Toлькo бyдь нeжнee c нeй.

In that sense, german is even superior to english then.

Just try old church slavonic already.

German seems to be a very cool language, but its variety of dialects puts me off.

I still don't get why some people take it upon themselves to point to French primitiveness when their own language is not better?

bump

Half those words are participles that are declined with the full adjective paradigm which is actually extremely regular.

>yбeжaл
means "ran away", not just "ran"

>cбeжaл
there's a word "escaped" for it

Well I only know regular Standarddeutsch, so I cannot say.
I was once in Bayern, they tried their best to speak slowly but the accent is too much.

I personnally don't like english that much, even though it's the foreign language I speak the best.
German leaves no place to doubt, it's a language made for a nation of philosophers and engineers.

I'm ok with french, I know it has many flaws such as the many irregularities in plurals, spelling and conjugisons.
I like the fact the words convey more sense than what they seem, they always have some sort of hidden meaning that make you choose this word and not that word. Plus you can interrupt the phrase of your interlocutor without fear of missing the sense. A true language for love and arguments.

Occitan is a pretty cool language too ; too bad it's only ideal use today is telling folkstale to children.

quite likely, i don't speak german - but from the dutch i know, i have a fairly good idea of what it would be like. english is perhaps not the greatest language on the planet but its a dirty little quirky bastard language that gets the job done surprisingly well

English is the PHP of human languages.
It's an abomination made from bits of other languages with a loose syntax, but it's easy to learn and does the job surprisingly well, so everyone uses it.

>with a loose syntax
it's definitely not loose

too many fucking exceptions you get verbs that are written in one matter but then there are 6-7 verbs that are written in another manner just to piss you off also suppose you are learning 6 times in french (present-future etc..) to properly use the 5th one you have to go back and use the 2nd to some extent i've been learning french since 3rd grade and english for less than half of that time an i am infinitely better at english than i will ever be in french at least english is consistent
TL;DR frogs like to over complicate verbs for no goddamn reason