profile=opengl-hq

Git:

profile=gpu-hq

Configuration Files:
mpv.io/manual/master/#configuration-files
mpv.io/manual/master/#files

Input.conf:
github.com/mpv-player/mpv/blob/master/etc/input.conf

Post your system specs and config if you're asking performance related questions.

Windows Builds:
Stable Portable: mpv.srsfckn.biz/
Stable Installer: bitbucket.org/rorgoroth/mingw-w64-cmake/downloads/
Git Portable: sourceforge.net/projects/mpv-player-windows/files/
Git Installer: bitbucket.org/rorgoroth/mingw-w64-cmake/downloads/
Vapoursynth: jenkins.maeyanie.com/job/mpv/

Other urls found in this thread:

forum.doom9.org/member.php?u=109587
github.com/mpv-player/mpv/commits?author=jeeb
github.com/mpv-player/mpv/blob/365b1d4f3d3f3d521002aeb9c4c91c1df1cf0814/player/lua/osc.lua
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

RIP!

Who is jeeb?

Holy shit what did I miss the last days/weeks where I have been busy!?

wm4 is no longer in the mpv group? Did he quit? Who continues developing mpv?
What the fuck is ffmpv and who thought it's a good idea to hard-fork?
Are mpv developers actually intending to switch?
I've got so many questions... hanna, what's happening .__.

Opensource mess... :(

Hanna left long time ago.

Madshi won!

And what's with wm4? He's still in the channels and talking. Did he officially stop developing mpv or is it just some kind of holiday?

Well semester started again so I assume it's his usual inactivity after a period of high activity. It has been like that for a few times now. Or did he explicitly state other information?

Are we entering a new era of jeeb posting?

Any reason why MPC keeps skipping insane amounts of time when using arrow keys to skip? Under Options->Tweaks, I have the medium distance set to 5000 ms, but when using arrows on the actual file, I get skips of around 50 seconds. I tried changing that value and nothing appears to change. Things used to work fine on old MPC version I ran.

>MPC
gtfo

>wm4 quit
>hanna on #videolan
>madshi didn't release anything this week
is it a nightmare?

I'm not going to deal with a messy libplacebo integration (due to it being a "rewrite" and being the exact opposite of a gradual integration with mpv), nor am I going to try to merge back libplacebo changes
and I'm not going to maintain the vo_gpu code either
so I guess this is the painful death of a project
I'll just accuse hanna of killing it, makes me feel better
he should be here, but i _think_ hanna wouldn't mind taking over vo_gpu
and things like these piss me off
neither does that make it fun to work on this project, nor can I "rage quit", and of course this situation is my fault too
I guess some things just can't be fixed
giving away the project would be a good solution
it's not a solution for mpv at least, IMHO
maybe we should assign rossy to give you some diplomacy lessons :)
be your diplomatic mentor :)
if you're interested in developing mpv further, then i think it can be solved after some discussions with more people.
Perhaps heavily fragmenting the responsibility might be a good idea
so wm4 doesn't have to deal with shit
so the problem at hand is vo_gpu is a gross hack, you merged it because you thought it was going to get better, but it did not and the original author is now working on a forket version of it because that's the only realistic way of getting patreon money?
if I were you I'd do two things
1) revert vo_gpu
2) ignore and immediately close useless issues
pigoz: i'm not sure if wm4 was referring to the recent vo_gpu rename, or the core video rendering code that has been cloned for libplacebo, which has been built up over years and probably can't just be "reverted"
I am not even sure if libplacebo will go anywhere, to get such a project right, you need a lot of time and patience
yeah idk either
i wouldn't put money on libplacebo succeeding at this point

I think pigoz is right here. Hanna started something that was a nice idea but simply too big for him and he did a lot of damage in the process of starting it.
Tbh I don't really get why he was so eager to separate from mpv to begin with, I guess some drama was involved there already.

As for wm4, it's essentially a uBlock situation where the original maintainer has no desire to deal with users and politics anymore but just wants to code.
The situation is different though as there simply is no other developer in the mpv team with a similar level of competence and knowledge. wm4 is an invaluable asset to mpv and every fork would just continue to live based on what wm4 created until other people finally turn it into a clusterfuck over time.

I thought haasn and wm4 were friend. :(

time for mpv origin?

Only when wm4 is at the helm...

Haasn is a cunt that never cared about anything other than his experiments while wm4 had to make sure it doesn't rip mpv apart.

:(

can't haasn and wm4 combine powers to turn vo_gpu and libmpv into libmpvplacebo

If it was up to wm4 you wouldn't even have ewa_lanczos in code.

Wouldn't have been possible without the infrastructure it was built into which was made by wm4

I use gpu-hq
The human eye can't see past spline36 :^)

A good chunk of rebasing was already put in place by mplayer2

I'd like to have JEEB as new head. Please?

Are you guys saying that mpv is dead?

Where wm4 was an active contributor, yes.

I hope they can have a discussion and sort something out. mpv is the only good player on Linux by a long long way.

He wasn't ruling with an autistic fist there though.

Looks like it

Yes...

Well desu it will continue to be one. It might turn into the same situation of MPC-HC.

Considering the general attutude of both of them I wouldn't bet on it.

I'm not sure if there's much to sort out, hanna will never give up libplacebo but he also will never finish it.

Also, keep in mind that even when libplacebo will be finished (for hanna) one day, it can't just be integrated into mpv. What's more, even when libplacebo works, it will do so on Linux. Hanna will never care about any other operating systems so it would need other developers with huge amounts of free time to reimplement stuff already working well in mpv.
Sorry but that's not gonna happen.

I have yet to understand what kind of advantages libplacebo would bring to mpv itself.

Wasn't the point to make easier for others to implement their libraries into other players or something like that?

B-But I believed mpv would be the mpc killer

None, the idea was to turn mpv's existing renderer (with its current features) into a library.
Of course, once this happened you can extend it but you could've extended mpv's current VO as well.
One motivation was that other programs could use mpv's renderer when it is a library. Another motivation for haasn was to be able to develop "alone". He said something like that some time.

Madshi right now

libplacebo is least of the mpv's problems, wm4's actings was all over the place. He is a good coder but things like rage forking ffmpeg doesn't help anything.

Madshi is not mentally retarded at least.

The ffmpeg situation was intense but not completely unfounded. Additionally, it was almost over as his fork and ffmpeg HEAD nearly had parity again. This whole business would've disappeared soon.

dead my ass

we back to madvr again
I feel bad for linuxfags

mplayer > mpv

no

It would be fun to have a paid madVR 1.0 release tomorrow.

Not unfounded for what? I don't understand wanting to be in such a hurry to merge a proprietary nvidia shit of a hardware decoding, completely bullshit. Not to mention lashing out to people in github issues for sport is not everyone's cup of tea. Akemi et al worked hard for maintaining macos support but he instead chooses to diss entire userbase to get lost instead of merging 2 liner fix.

>forum.doom9.org/member.php?u=109587
Madshi is sleeping right now. Hope he will not become lazy like shiandow now that mpv future is unstable.

yes

I'm not justifying is actions as I do think he should've acted differently. I'm just saying I can relate to what he did.
Also this was about more than nvidia hardware decoding. Mind you that ffmpeg broke API.

A permanent API breakage would only affect ffmeg-stable users if it was fixed by client side. Not that he cares about them, he just dropped ffmpeg-stable altogether anyway.

I must ask again, can we have JEEB as new chief of mpv?
He's a good guy.

Is he a nice guy? I don't want to be hurt again.

github.com/mpv-player/mpv/commits?author=jeeb
I don't see anything of notice to be a chief.

If you haven't heard of him you are too new...

I don't care.

Is not he the founder of cccp?

>Re-install windows
>X no longer closes MPV, it just hangs
I'm certain I had this problem before but I can't remember how I solved it

>Sup Forums spends the last 2 years shilling /mpv/
>finally gets traction in [current year]
>/mpv/ dies
F

>Sup Forums spends the last 2 years shilling /mpv/
has been longer
>literally just giving away your shit
>to add to the matter to the guy you don't even like
baby raging is one thing but going out like that is just disgusting

ever since i updated whenever i stream something over my homeserver theres this little bar that shows how much of my video has loaded but is there anyway to change its appearance or at least make it not appear

put no-osc in your config and run an old version of osc.lua as an external script
github.com/mpv-player/mpv/blob/365b1d4f3d3f3d521002aeb9c4c91c1df1cf0814/player/lua/osc.lua

>>literally just giving away your shit
>>to add to the matter to the guy you don't even like
Well, not directly. The people in the owners group on GitHub are the only ones with the power to delegate ownership and wm4 trusts them.

Who are these people?

I solved this by removing cache=yes from my config

>Are you guys saying that mpv is dead?

Yes.
What we are witnessing now is a burst of activity/commits from the smaller guys now they can get their code in without wm4 ating as a quality control road block.

The problem is wm4 is effectively gone, he has more knowledge than all of these smaller guys combined and within a few weeks they will be out of ideas and wm4 is not around to make real progress and changes rendering the project stagnant on its way to the grave.

latest blur-edges.lua is almost perfect. The problem is that it kills subtitles every time the filter is used. Subs won't appear until reopening the file.

Wasn't Sup Forums crying the death of mpv just a few weeks ago because of wm4?

What should we do now?
1) Shilling vlc/libplacebo.
2) Shilling potplayer/lavfilters/potplayer.
3) Make a video player/renderer general.

I really see the biggest problem in quality control.

For small contributions wm4 was probably an immensely annoying shithead that you had to endure (as contributor) and I bet many get pissed off and stopped contributing because of that.
But I really believe this was a necessity and important job. He really did ensure a high level of quality and successfully prevent mpv from degrading into a mplayer-like situation that was the reason for mplayer2/mpv in the first place.
This might be gone now (I"m still hoping for the best). And mpv might turn into what was the reason of its own creation.

4) Keep shilling mpv because it's not dead (yet).

I noticed that too, I think it's because I set "video" to no, it should be an easy fix.

We shill madvr now

I don't think that's the biggest issue. There's no reason why other contributors can't keep a high level of quality, it's not like they're incompetent.

The main problem I see is that without the sheer volume of changes from wm4, mpv will move much slower and might effectively enter a maintenance state.

The loss of a strong leadership with a consistent vision is also a pretty big blow.

But it's not a complete video player.

I will continue shilling free and open source cross-platform multimedia software.

>1) Shilling vlc/libplacebo.
Maybe, but even if mpv was actually dead, it would still take a while for VLC to get better than it.
>2) Shilling potplayer/lavfilters/potplayer.
Lol no, but it's clear what garbage you want to shill because you mentioned it twice.
>3) Make a video player/renderer general.
Maybe. I will shill free software in it.

How do I upload the subtitles I've downloaded to the video? How do I sync the subtitles timing(+- 1 second to make them match)?

Neither is mpv

None of the above
I remain confident that mpv won't die, but if worse comes to worst /mpg/ Media Player General would be pretty interesting, although I think it would kill the somewhat tight-knit community that's going on here

You realize that shilling bad software doesn't do it any good, right?
>USE FREE SOFTWARE! IT'S THE BEST! USE FREE SOFTWARE! IT'S THE BEST! USE FREE SOFTWARE! IT'S THE BEST!
>A: Tries free software
>A: "Damn, this shit is terrible."
>Normie B: "Why aren't you using the proprietary software everyone else is using?"
>A: "You're right! This is so much better! Free software sucks!"

What bad software? Free software is the best in most cases, especially in multimedia. No video encoder/decoder comes close to FFmpeg.

>Deprecated software.

FFMpeg does everything badly.

You just don't know how to use it.

Correct, but the proprietary garbage is so much worse.

Actually, now that I think about it /mpg/ would be a horrible idea, it would attract all the children from Sup Forums complaining about VLC/MPC

I'll take LSMASH and DGIndex over FFMS2 any day of the week.

L-SMASH and DGIndex are free software, you retard.

You're not shilling them, though. This is the problem with freetards: you latch onto one thing as your champion and shill it to the exclusion of all else.
MPC-HC is free software and is far superior to mpv, yet you shill mpv.

>You're not shilling them, though.
I can if you want me to. FFmpeg is an excellent example of FOSS multimedia software. L-SMASH is another excellent example. I can't list every good free software program because there are too many.

>MPC-HC is free software and is far superior to mpv,
No. MPC-HC only gets good when you add madVR, and even then, it's worse than mpv. It's also a thin DirectShow frontend, and DirectShow is about as bad as any other proprietary multimedia framework. That and it's not cross-platform, which makes it low-tier free software at best, since it's completely useless for people who use Linux and macOS.

Shilling mpv because you can use it on Linux is just shilling Linux. See

>Shilling mpv because you can use it on Linux
and macOS
>is just shilling Linux.
and macOS

Are you stupid? Shilling software that only works on Windows, like you're doing right now, is just shilling Windows.

Windows is the best, so what's your point?

Even if that was true, it doesn't mean you should be Microsoft's corporate cuck. I like software that is cross-platform because I want people to use less homogeneous computing environments. The reason why Windows 10 is so awful and why Microsoft are aggressively pushing features that no one wants, like forced updates, always-on telemetry and the Microsoft Store, is because they have their customers by the balls. Everyone who writes Windows-only software is complicit in this. If Linux and macOS were more popular, I guarantee Windows would be a better operating system.

>You should shill worse software so someone doesn't make money on the best
Why?

>The reason why Windows 10 is so awful and why Microsoft are aggressively pushing features that no one wants, like forced updates, always-on telemetry and the Microsoft Store, is because they have their customers by the balls.
No they don't. The market share of Vista and 8 prove this. Microsoft cannot force a shitty product because they're competing with their other, better ones.
Oh, and nobody minds forced updates. It's one of the best features released in decades. It was only the aggressive updates that were annoying. Seeing, "Linux, MacOS pwned; Windows 10 barely susceptible and has been patched for months" is quite comfy.

We can cure your illness, freetard. Don't despair.

Even microsoft gave up, you should too.

I didn't say anything about money. I didn't say anything about worse software either.

Let's imagine two pieces of software. Both have the exact same functionality, but one is cross-platform and the other isn't. Which is better? The cross-platform one, obviously, because it's useful to a wider group of people. Being cross-platform is a feature, and having that feature is what makes software better.

Even Windows users can benefit from it, assuming they don't have Windows Phones (because no one has Windows Phones.) madVR will never ever run on your phone, but mpv probably already does. There is no reason your phone shouldn't be able to do everything your PC can do except for platform lock-in.

>No they don't. The market share of Vista and 8 prove this.
If we're talking about market share, let's talk about Windows 7. Beating Vista and 8.1 isn't hard, but Microsoft still can't beat their own eight-year old operating system. It's no coincidence that Windows 7 is the last version without pervasive telemetry, built-in advertising and the Windows Store. But, people are slowly moving to Windows 10, mostly because they are forced to. You can't buy Windows 7 laptops anymore and Windows 7 won't work on modern hardware.

>Oh, and nobody minds forced updates.
Updates are fine. Forced updates are a sign that Microsoft have forgot people use Windows for real work and not just to watch ads and play Candy Crush. If I leave a spreadsheet open when I leave work, I don't want it to be gone in the morning because my computer updated. It's ridiculous that Microsoft think it's okay to force-close running apps to install an update. That they need to restart the system at all is an indication of bad design. Linux does not have to restart to update.

>If Linux and macOS were more popular, I guarantee Windows would be a better operating system.
Linux and MacOS aren't popular because they aren't very good, and they're only decent insofar as they copy Windows. You're right that if they were popular (because somehow they became better than Windows) that Windows would have a target, but that doesn't mean we should shill them in their current state. Having people use bad software out of ignorance does nobody any good since it makes it look like that's what people actually want. I wouldn't want Photoshop to copy GIMP because a massive disinformation campaign got people to start using it.