/tpg/ - Thinkpad General

Old Thread: If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
>Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™
>Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Recommended IBM models:
X60, X61, T60, T61, 860, Transnote, PC110

Recommended freedom models:
xx00 series, IBM xx0 series
Check libreboot.org for details.

Recommended modern models:
X220 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
T420 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, Ivy Bridge installable w/ Coreboot
W520 - 15", 1080p, Desktop Replacement, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
T440p, T540p, W540 - last ThinkPads to have replaceable CPUs, IPS displays available, chiclet
P series - reminiscent to old build quality, top-of-the-line specs, better than most current mobile workstations, but very expensive

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

Used laptop guides by xsauc:
dankpads.com

ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki

ThinkPad service guides w/ tutorial videos:
lenovoservicetraining.com/

EPP discount for new ThinkPads:
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW (embed)

BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

forum.thinkpads.com//viewtopic.php?t=119345
archive.is/o0ctz
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

first

How big is the performance difference between the t430 and t440p in terms of performance?
I do a lot of web automation and would actually like to do shit while I run my scripts because I can't do that with my x61

If your thinkpad has a PCIe express card slot, what do you use it for?

eGPU, card readers, usb 3.0 iirc

I picked up a T430 in meh condition for $150 (scratches and scuffs, backlight bleeding, worn keys, bad battery, but it's fully functional). It's got an i5-3320M, about 8 GB of RAM, a 160 GB SSD, and the 720p TN screen.
First question: Did I overpay?
Second question: Should I return it and get something else?
Third question: If I keep it, is it worth upgrading?

Negligible if you're only using a dual core hyperthreaded i5 or i7. iGPU is bit better though in Haswell.

I want a laptop which the only purpose it serves is development, the only criteria is that it can comfortably run a bloated IDE if he has to. Which one should i buy Sup Forums in terms of quality/price ?

> Bonus point for 14' screen

You can actually upgrade the T430 to a quad-core i7 CPU, making it more powerful than the rest of the T series until the T470.

usb 3.0 expansion works? I wasn't sure if it would
doesn't using the express card slot discharge your battery more?

You can also do that to the T420, but the T420/T430 can't really deal with the heat as well as the T440p, which is the last to have a socketable cpu that also came with the quads.

i7-3720QM would be my best bet I take it for that upgrade?

If you install a custom heatsink, you can actually go even higher.

Any guides you personally recommend?

what price should i settle for when purchasing an x220? How about t420?

Extra RAM and broadcom wifi card arrived. time to hackintosh my x220

Also should I bother with the Nvidia graphics card?
I keep hearing conflicting stories

no more than $200. but thats if they have at least 8GB RAM and a SSD.

>unironically using hackintosh

i mean i think i have an sshd laying around somewhere and also an extra 4gb ram stick. how much should i expect for a 4gb hdd/no drive x220/t420

Maybe?
If for some reason you think you will play old games on your laptop in windows then okay I guess.
But otherwise you don't need it. I thought I did and now I just have it turned off.

forum.thinkpads.com//viewtopic.php?t=119345
This thread has some good discussion. You could find guides for socketing CPUs anywhere and everywhere, though.

> Self bump

I also have this question.

I’m thinking a t440 and upgrade cpu, screen, ssd, ram
Or
buying a 530 beast already put together.

What do you have? W series I presume?

>I’m thinking a t440 and upgrade cpu, screen, ssd, ram
>Or
>buying a 530 beast already put together.
You can upgrade the T440 all you want, but except if you use an eGPU, you won't achieve the graphic capabilities that a W530 has.

>You can upgrade the T440 all you want
but you can't do shit with the t440

My X1C 5th gen used to show battery life at 10-13 hrs when I first got it half a year ago. Now it just does 3-6 hours. The only difference is a few more files and programs. What gives?

Why are screens so expensive now? They weren't a few years ago.

Asking again. If it helps, the battery is bad, can't hold more than 30-45 mins (mid to full load, tho)

Quad core 1080p w530 for 330$ sound good?

i7 I presume? With at least 8 GB RAM?
What about the GPU, integrated, K1000M or K2000M?

If either of those, it's pretty good.

It's I7
NVIDIA K1000M with 2GB VRAM but it's 4gigs of ram

KYS

I Just got a X201i because i always wanted a first gen i3 for some reason
it has the same power as a athlon x2 255 but uses less power.
still uses the same 8GB of max ram and I put in a 120GB SSD with windows 7 and windows 10.

and its very cute
x220's are too new for my taste IMO.

also looking for one older 'puter for xp and windows 2000 any ideas my lads and ladies.
the x201i doesn't really like any xp other than pro and i only have a product key for a xp home.

Has there been any word on when AMD Ryzen ThinkPads will be released?

just got a t60. what hard drive should I put in it? need to partition it for multiple OSs.

you can do exactly same to t440p, which has quad cores in standard configs.

>what hard drive should I put in it
any

will my 3.5 work? I have a drill.

>t60
you can go up to 2.5" 160GB HDD 7500RPM
for the OS types that gives you a fair ammount of wiggle room

put it in external drive bay

t.used to own a 2 core duo.
jelly af
I kinda wish i never gave up my HP 7400 now
I feel like shit.
I'm

Nice. I'm waiting for my flash programmer and SOIC8 clip to flash a modded BIOS on my T440p and remove the whitelist so i can Hackintosh it.

I remember hackintoshing my T420, it was a pleasant experience with everything just working.

What's the difference between the T420 and the T430? Which is easier to upgrade?

about 10
both are the same in that area

T420 uses the now rare 1333Mhz DDR3
the
>supports xp, 7,8 ,8.1,windows 10
T430 uses the common DDR3 1600Mhz ram and has a better Vram
and blue tooth
7, 8, 8.1, windows 10
cons - doesn't support xp very well.

both can use up to 1866mhz you turbocuck

>has better vram
what

yes
yes
n/a

T400-420 or X200-220

Reminder archive.is/o0ctz

The ram on my T420 is overheating a bit. What do?

What's a good thinkpad at around 15" with the option of ips screen?

Which broadcom ?

Question:

Would you sell your thinkpad for cheap to someone who's going to (maybe) take decent care of it

Or would you sell it for more to someone who's going to trash it and you know it

How is the Ideapad 320S-13IKB?

Looking for an ultra light laptop and this one just weighs 1.2kg wrote having decent specs too.

Why don't you have 32gb of error correcting ram for JAV?

If that were the case for my X200, then I would sell it to the person who's probably going to take care of it. I've kind of developed an affection for my thinkpad. I just really like the design of it and it's in really good shape already, i'd just hate to think of it getting trashed

>ideapad
>walmart-tier crap

Which ODD to HDD adapter should I get for my W520? I live in Germany

>splendid specs
>walmart

>being a huge fag on purpose

About to use a dock set up with a new 9 cell battery. Is it possible to have a x220 work on a dock without the battery in it and just running off a charging cable? I don't wanna destroy the lifespan of my battery by having it charge all the time.

something is draining your battery

why do you need a drill?

better igpu
and same upgrades

Debating between 7370 and 7280 for battery life. TDP for the i7 / m7 is supposedly 15W vs 4.5W, not sure if that makes a big difference compared to the 1080 LCD. Does the m7 have all the same flags for virtualization what whathasit?

Work just gave me a T450, can I hang out here now?

How big of a difference is the k1000m vs the k2000m?

i want a laptop that i can watch movies with, stream youtube nicely and use fl studio a tiny bit. also school stuff. should i get the x220? is it portable

what do you want to play? there's quite a big difference imo

here i am wondering the same thing except ableton instead of fl studio. my surface pro is slowly dying and shutting off for no reason so im gonna need a new computer. I just watched a bunch of videos about thinkpads and decided i'd get a x220. You should do the same friendo

What's the most each could offer me in your opinion?

Why not do what everyone else does and get a crack? Or just buy one for like £15 on eBay

ok nice, thanks for the tip!

I might also do the same.

Anyone got a Thinkpad 13?
Are they meant to sit at about 45deg? Are the fans meant to be this loud when you're running just Chrome or atom?

An SSD. Spinners are a severe bottleneck. I smash them to harvest shop magnets.

330 for a k2000m w530 with quad core Webcam 8gig ram?

>got a t460p a little over a year ago
>battery lasts very little
>check capacity
well fuck me lads

what could i have done to fuck the battery like this?
any way to fix it?

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I have very good luck with Anker replacement batteries.

I currently have a Lenovo Flex 5, but I'm thinking about returning it for a Thinkpad because the build quality is shitty, it frequently heats up, it's a bitch to install Linux on, and because lags every now and then. For reference, it has 16 gigs of RAM, an i7-8550U, and an NVIDIA 940MX. I'm thinking about getting a P51 with the Quadro M1200, SSD, and FHD touchscreen for $1,493 (thanks to the corporate discount). My current lappy costs $1000; my use cases are gayman (don't judge), programming, and deep learning. Should I bite the bullet?

Would an x201 be good enough for web browsing/emailing/YouTube watchan? I'm looking at one with 8 GB of RAM. It's really cute.

but it's not fucking normal that a battery is 92% useless after a year, right?

Certified retard here!
I have bought a replacement motherboard AND keyboard but it still wont input.
what the fuck? Is there some secret to using the keyboard on this thing?

Anyone familiar with the T540?
Its priced pretty low for its specs what's the catch?

do it, P-series are worth it

530p

Fuck, I guess I gotta bite the bullet.

just seen this t61 on ebay, it's not just me right this is covered in mould?

full spec p51 is doing me well

No just jizz

no it's not. Try to reset it.

thinkfags on suicide watch

prolly just splooge. it really gets stuck to the top of the surface of thinkpads in general. probably something to do with the material. I know from experience :^).

these are cum stains.

thats nasty but i want this laptop ;__;

I've had my T470 now for few weeks. I must say that it's pretty great and even with the small battery I can do everything I need to.

No regrets while everyone else was getting HP :)

i have an x201s and it does web/mail/720p just fine. its low voltage i7 is as fast as the i5 in a normal x201, has a slightly slower igpu, AND has to push more pixels to the display (1440x900 vs 1280x800). so i think an x201 would still be fine for these things

Which one did you get?